Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Petition to stop Councils top dressing roads.

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2016, 10:41 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Petition to stop Councils top dressing roads.

I urge you all to sign... always getting car damaged by this total BS crap, already had 2 new wheels damaged by some of this **** recently.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/127577
Old 02 August 2016, 11:07 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Me too. Signed.
Old 02 August 2016, 11:25 AM
dantiel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not had damage as of yet , but what ever there doing to these roads is so poor floating over the top of it all and making all the iron/drananes sunk like bloody pot holes just aload of #swear word#
Old 02 August 2016, 11:42 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ps share this on social media
Old 02 August 2016, 01:15 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Ruined a few time trial evenings for our local club. Upside was that at a big cycle event, the council dressed the road and swept it twice to remove all loose clippings before event. It makes a rough surface until it beds in fully. It is a cheap way of improving surface for grip and surface water drainage. If they swept It immediately and thoroughly like they did for our 25 mile time trial then it would be fine.
Old 03 August 2016, 11:06 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Surface dressing, done properly, has been proved to be a very cost effective method of maintenance.

I've never had a problem. Perhaps it's because I stick to the advised speed limit on recently dressed surfaces!
Old 03 August 2016, 11:59 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I don't even get close to the reduced speed limit when they do this to our roads, yet all 4 of my wheels are now chipped to death because of this technique. They advertise 20mph but I normally don't push past 10mph for fear of more damage.

They spray wet tar, spread a thick layer of fine loose dry stones and leave the traffic to bed it down for weeks until all the stones have gone all over the pathways and verges, at which point they finally sweep the roads. They don't even fill the potholes in round here before they do it. I'm not kidding or exaggerating at all on this.

Secondly, once this road surface is down it creates twice the noise by passing traffic than the surface it replaced. One of my friends works for one of the companies (Jacobs) that gets to spread this lazy road surface and he says it should never be used in urban areas, but is now being widely used against advice as it's cheap and fast, irrespective of the damage it's doing.
Old 04 August 2016, 05:12 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaun
Surface dressing, done properly, has been proved to be a very cost effective method of maintenance.

I've never had a problem. Perhaps it's because I stick to the advised speed limit on recently dressed surfaces!

What, 10mph? You must be joking, several miles at that speed is impossible even on a push bike and it's just a council get out if you go faster and damage your car.
Old 04 August 2016, 10:05 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

20mph - I do 20k miles a year in the daily and covered loads of dressed roads. Never had one problem..... other than idiots over taking me, or speeders coming the opposite way.
Old 04 August 2016, 10:08 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
I don't even get close to the reduced speed limit when they do this to our roads, yet all 4 of my wheels are now chipped to death because of this technique. They advertise 20mph but I normally don't push past 10mph for fear of more damage.

They spray wet tar, spread a thick layer of fine loose dry stones and leave the traffic to bed it down for weeks until all the stones have gone all over the pathways and verges, at which point they finally sweep the roads. They don't even fill the potholes in round here before they do it. I'm not kidding or exaggerating at all on this.

Secondly, once this road surface is down it creates twice the noise by passing traffic than the surface it replaced. One of my friends works for one of the companies (Jacobs) that gets to spread this lazy road surface and he says it should never be used in urban areas, but is now being widely used against advice as it's cheap and fast, irrespective of the damage it's doing.
It's all in the surface dressing prep, quality of materials used and the way it's being done that makes the difference.

I work in highways maintenance and it can and does work, certainly on the roads in my county.

Failures happen due to methods and materials adopted imo.
Old 05 August 2016, 12:19 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Signed!

Last year I purchased an absolutely mint 2006 BMW E46 M3 in Carbon Black, one of the last registered, late December. It genuinely did not have a single mark on the bodywork, not one.

I kid you not, on the day that I drove the car back from the garage I purchased it from, the council decided to use this ridiculous road surface on the only road that leads to my house, after two weeks the front bumper, the front wings and both front doors had several paint chips. The said road is a country lane, you would be a fool to drive more than 20mph along it most days as its narrow and twisty. So speed was not the deciding factor here, the quality of either the road surface, or the technique used to lay this surface was not up to par. Completely ruined the finish of the car.

I contacted the council about it, of course they did not want to know and there was no way of proving that the road surface was the cause of the damage as I oddly didn't take any close up pictures of the cars paintwork before driving it home!

So yes, this road surface, while cheap, is not good for vehicle owners that actually care about the finish of their paint!
Old 05 August 2016, 12:49 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
It's all in the surface dressing prep, quality of materials used and the way it's being done that makes the difference.

I work in highways maintenance and it can and does work, certainly on the roads in my county.

Failures happen due to methods and materials adopted imo.
Whilst I'm sure it can be done better, I think unfortunately in most cases it isn't.

They put such a thick layer of these destructive stones down round the corner from me it's actually filled in the gaps between the speed pillows in the road making what was a smooth easy ambulance main route into a slow bumpy route for passengers.

Is it normal to spread this surface without even addressing the potholes first? Is it also normal to leave it so long before sweeping it?
Old 05 August 2016, 09:29 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

they did this all over rochdale/whitworth/bacup

all the cars full of tar, all the grids full so the rd floods now, it got that bad all the chippings came back up!!
Old 05 August 2016, 09:51 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the winner of the smash-your-own-car-up award? Passing a winter grit lorry on the motorway!
Old 05 August 2016, 10:31 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Council Whankers
Old 05 August 2016, 10:33 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
they did this all over rochdale/whitworth/bacup

all the cars full of tar, all the grids full so the rd floods now, it got that bad all the chippings came back up!!
Don't know why you're complaining, this stuff is good business for you sprayers!
Old 05 August 2016, 01:18 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Is it normal to spread this surface without even addressing the potholes first? Is it also normal to leave it so long before sweeping it?
It might be "normal" elsewhere, but not in our county. Surface dressing prep is done prior to the Surface Dressing itself. It will be organised to fill pot-holes and/or formal road patching prior. It's useless otherwise..... or should I say greatly reduces the benefits of actually completing the SD in the first place.

Individual experiences to one side, it is (if done properly) a really cost effective way of maintaining the highway asset.
Old 05 August 2016, 01:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I agree with you Shaun. If done right, I'm sure it's an effective solution. I've yet to see one done right in our area that hasn't caused damage to one of my cars though. To not fill the potholes prior to applying this is criminal in my mind.

Sounds like I should be living in your area instead!
Old 05 August 2016, 04:57 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Warwickshire mate.... Gods country!
Old 05 August 2016, 08:55 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Signed, for the good it will do.

Was up country yesterday, went up through Bath way on the A361, on the way back in the evening they had done a few miles of this so only a few hours old.

Stones flying everywhere even below the 20mph limit with cars up my **** because I wasn't going faster, made a right noise as it was all bouncing off me nice new paint work.

Not had a proper look yet but know there will be some damage if only minor.