Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The press/Media-generally

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2016, 08:41 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default The press/Media-generally

I know they have to sell newspapers/get people to watch their channels.But in my view it has become dire desperation just lately.

Mrs May and the having children hoo ha.Don't care
Cliff and the rest of the nonsense witchunt.Don't care
Should we have statins and are we all diabetic? Don't care

Are we just really,really short of news just lately?Are they just employing desperate reporters or is it the editors or what
Old 11 July 2016, 10:02 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you say, page column inches have to be filled, web pages have to be filled, add to that an endless ocean of television and radio news time has to be filled.
And there's only so much genuine news to go around so what's it all filled with?
Filler.
Old 11 July 2016, 10:22 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Seems to have turned into a string of popular news stories. Immigration, NHS, pervert and a shooting in America
Old 11 July 2016, 11:47 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Still can't believe I missed my cat on the BBC news
Old 11 July 2016, 12:19 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I hate the way they manipulate figures & try to sensationalise & make the worst of any situation.When we voted out of the EU they quoted a 20% rise in racial hate crime & put everyone they could find on screen or in the papers.

Well a rise means if there where 4 incidents last year & 5 this year that's a 25% increase. Absolutley no actual numbers mentioned.Complete over reaction & probably all fabricated.
Old 11 July 2016, 12:25 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Truly the press as a whole are getting worse. They just can't report any story without spinning it in some way. Omission is as bad as downright lies, so how about just telling it like it is for once?
Old 11 July 2016, 01:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm starting to find clickbait more informative and less sensationalist than the daily rag headlines

Trending Topics

Old 11 July 2016, 01:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

To quote Ian Betteridge:

any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word "no." The reason why journalists use that style of headline is that they know the story is probably bulls**t, and don’t actually have the sources and facts to back it up, but still want to run it.
So true
Old 12 July 2016, 08:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

people get the media they deserve

also, the same people are responsible for where they get their information from and how they stay informed

you can't simply blame the press/media
Old 12 July 2016, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Even when they are patently dishonest?

Oh, sorry, I forgot.....that's my fault for not searching for different sources LOL
Old 12 July 2016, 01:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
people get the media they deserve

also, the same people are responsible for where they get their information from and how they stay informed

you can't simply blame the press/media
That's very true.

By the way, why is RSMatt banned? Off topic but I've seen 'BANNED' under his name on this thread, so I thought of asking.
Old 12 July 2016, 10:25 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
By the way, why is RSMatt banned? Off topic but I've seen 'BANNED' under his name on this thread, so I thought of asking.
I hope it's because of his incessant trolling about WRX vs STi at every opportunity.
Old 12 July 2016, 10:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue by You
I hope it's because of his incessant trolling about WRX vs STi at every opportunity.
Oh, ok.
Old 13 July 2016, 10:11 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What I've noticed more and more these days regarding interviews on telly, is that more and more interviewers are asking a question, then immediately interupting the person trying to answer it. Annoys the hell out of me.

They then also persist in asking the same question over and over again, just slightly different (as if they are trying to catch someone out) even though the question has already been answered.

Plus, the other annoying thing is, is that they try to create hysteria. Report something to death while always assuming the worse case scenario, even though there is zero proof of any scenario. But always state 'could` as there justification for creating the hysteria.

I use to always watch Channel 4 news, as I thought they were less biased (unlike the BBC) and gave good informative information and good interviews. However, they are quickly becoming yet another gutter news programme. Shame.
Old 13 July 2016, 08:23 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like some of the regular posters on here, it seems to be the mission of many journalists to rubbish the UK at every opportunity; they're a bunch of utter t0ssers.
Old 14 July 2016, 07:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

They tend to rubbish the England part of the UK more.

How many scare stories have we had in the last ten years about some new pandemic on it's way?
Old 14 July 2016, 07:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have noticed channel 4 news go downhill
Old 14 July 2016, 09:49 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

I`m still waiting for the killer bees.
Old 14 July 2016, 11:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well, the Hysteria starts again. This time falling House prices. People slashing thousands off the price of their property.

Buyers demanding tens of Thousands off the asking price, just day before completion !!!

What a load of tosh. Scaring the UK population into not selling/buying houses, which in turn will have an effect on the economy.

All so they can grab headlines and report outside an estate agent. The media drummed up hysteria in 2007/8, when there were masses of ques outside banks.

If they didn't report cr@p, people would still sell/buy houses, there'd be no mass ques outside of banks, and life as we know it would trundle along nicely.
Old 14 July 2016, 11:17 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
I`m still waiting for the killer bees.
I've seen some big f**kers lately. Think they might already be here

Old 14 July 2016, 11:58 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stilover
Well, the Hysteria starts again. This time falling House prices. People slashing thousands off the price of their property.

Buyers demanding tens of Thousands off the asking price, just day before completion !!!

What a load of tosh. Scaring the UK population into not selling/buying houses, which in turn will have an effect on the economy.

All so they can grab headlines and report outside an estate agent. The media drummed up hysteria in 2007/8, when there were masses of ques outside banks.

If they didn't report cr@p, people would still sell/buy houses, there'd be no mass ques outside of banks, and life as we know it would trundle along nicely.

In certain other countries they would be rounded up and then mysteriously disappear. Unfortunately we would have to endure everything ese that those same countries inflict on their populations, so for the moment journalists can get away with their deliberate undermining of the nation's interests.
Old 14 July 2016, 12:05 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stilover

They have to do this as the previous predictions (lies) of doom and gloom have failed to materialise. The stock markets have recovered, many business leaders are optimistic about our prospects, the pound has levelled out and made back some losses, countries are lining up to do trade deals, the boss of Europe (Angela) realises that a conciliatory tone towards Britain is needed in the negotiations, we're not having a £30bn punishment budget (George has been sacked), world war 3 isn't going to break out, the sun is still rising every morning etc etc
Old 14 July 2016, 12:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

This^^^
Old 14 July 2016, 08:26 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

The MSM plays a vital role in the way we live and lead our lives, globally! The greatest most influential weapon the world has ever seen.
Old 16 July 2016, 08:46 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I never read newspapers for the reasons stated this thread. Full of twisted crap.
TV news is a quicker and a more factual way of learning what is going on in the world. Although it does make me laugh when they feel the need to have a reporter stood in a particular location just because something is going on there when you can't actually see anything.

Nick