Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Stairs - is this feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2016, 07:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Stairs - is this feasible?

I am trying to sell my 160 year old stone built cottage. Had a few viewings but two viewers were put off by the stairs which are a bit tricky as the individual stairs vary in height and depth. Fine for kids but older people can struggle.
So would it be feasible to get the whole lot replaced? There are 8 steps leading to a half landing then a single step onto another half landing at 90 degrees to first then 4 more steps to top landing at 360 degrees to first short flight.
The stairs are fully carpeted so I have no idea of what is underneath so I imagine old timber, probably oak.
So what do you reckon and would £2000 be a reasonable budget/guess. Anyone have any contacts in Wiltshire/Dorset/Somerset region?
Thank you, David
Old 27 May 2016, 09:29 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely the stairs are part of the character of the cottage.
Old 27 May 2016, 09:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johned
Surely the stairs are part of the character of the cottage.

Yes and I am very conscious of that. But I would hope that if fully carpeted as they are at present it wouldn't be obvious that they has been rebuilt. Plus if it means that a sale is forthcoming then so be it.

David
Old 27 May 2016, 11:15 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my lad a little two up two down which needed a new staircase due to damp. Ended up paying about 1200 for a DIY kit which was a pain to fit.
Old 28 May 2016, 07:58 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes anything that involves landings and returns is not going to be cheap..... especially considering in your cottage it isn't going to be a standard size and uniform throughout
Old 28 May 2016, 10:08 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Yes and I am very conscious of that. But I would hope that if fully carpeted as they are at present it wouldn't be obvious that they has been rebuilt. Plus if it means that a sale is forthcoming then so be it.

David
Hope you find a buyer who wants to buy it as it is. It's such a shame to take out a character which adds to what it is; an ancient cottage.

There's a crooked old cottage on Mold-Ruthin road. It sits on the slope of the hill; all solitary- leaning more to the right than the left. Whenever I see it, I wish for it to remain like this- forever. I wouldn't ever want to see it any different. It has its own appeal.

Good luck with altering your stairs, anyway. Hope you find the best and reasonable quote for the job.
Old 28 May 2016, 02:57 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Just a thought, but you might do better with making a character feature of your very irregular staircase, by getting rid of the carpet and going for the exposed floor-board look instead. The cost-benefit breakdown would depend a lot on whether the woodwork is already in good enough condition for sanding and varnishing without large parts of it needing to be replaced first, but if the general look of the property and area is quite Olde Worlde, I would imagine this should encourage more buyers than it puts off.