Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cameron's tax obsession

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2016, 10:29 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs down Cameron's tax obsession

What a load of b0llocks it is and a load of fuss over nothing. He hasn't done anything illegal and as for the inheritance tax subject he would have been stupid not to have done it, it's what the system is and so why would you pay more than the law says you need to? That would just be idiotic, the tax system isn't a charity FFS. It's the biggest stitch up over absolutely nothing in my opinion.

As for opposition MP's calling for his sacking what a joke, like any of them are the perfect citizen and whiter than white, hypocrites the lot of them.
Old 10 April 2016, 11:11 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Legal or moral, he is a leader he should lead by example, if not illegal why not send the workers of the country some leaflets on hints to pay our taxes through legal loopholes, instead of sending us them to stay in Europe.
Old 11 April 2016, 12:05 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

The inheritance tax rules are clear for anyone and everyone to see and not loopholes. So the fuss over him getting the £200k as a gift form his Mother is part of those very rules and how inheritance tax system works. There is no story in this, it's pathetic.

As I heard on the radio earlier, all those calling for the entire cabinet to publish their tax returns should be publishing their own too. How about every MP is forced to publish their tax returns and make it fair then. Of course they won't want to do that because whilst they are pointing the finger at the PM they all have things to hide.
Old 11 April 2016, 01:10 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

As long as there is no suggestion of backhanders or other illegality, these moaners can fvck off, its none of their business what other people earn
Old 11 April 2016, 04:57 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the issue here is that he lied.

A few weeks ago he said that he did not have any shares, when infact he did.
Old 11 April 2016, 08:02 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

He originally said he doesn't "have" off shore investments. (Present tense)

Although he "had" (past).

It was so clearly worded I saw through that from the very first statement he made; as I guessed he'd inherit some legacy estate off his dad and would have deal with it.

Cameron's tax affairs are better than my Dad's LOL (he got hammered by the HMRC by the way).

Still on the top of the headlines after a week...the media are seriously dragging this dead horse story round the track.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 April 2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11 April 2016, 08:14 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Mr Cameron has done absolutely nothing wrong re his own tax avoidance and paying tax on sums received.

What he has done is make a PR disaster about dodging the questions and giving clear full answers especially when commenting hypocritically on the likes of Jimmy Carr who also did a legal tax avoidance scheme
Old 11 April 2016, 09:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
The inheritance tax rules are clear for anyone and everyone to see and not loopholes. So the fuss over him getting the £200k as a gift form his Mother is part of those very rules and how inheritance tax system works. There is no story in this, it's pathetic.

As I heard on the radio earlier, all those calling for the entire cabinet to publish their tax returns should be publishing their own too. How about every MP is forced to publish their tax returns and make it fair then. Of course they won't want to do that because whilst they are pointing the finger at the PM they all have things to hide.

Chap being interviewed by the BBC this morning had this suggested to him and he then went on to ridicule the presenter by suggesting why stop there, why not all MPs? Why not all councillors? Why not all persons influencing public opinion? Why not you at the BBC as you're publically funded and influencing public opinion? The presenter became rather aggressively defensive at this point.
Old 11 April 2016, 12:29 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
Mr Cameron has done absolutely nothing wrong re his own tax avoidance and paying tax on sums received.

What he has done is make a PR disaster about dodging the questions and giving clear full answers especially when commenting hypocritically on the likes of Jimmy Carr who also did a legal tax avoidance scheme
Whereas I don't disagree that the handling has been an absolute disaster (indicating that those advising the PM probably didn't understand the rules) the PM's use of the IHT rules is different to the Jimmy Carr thing.

I notice Jimmy Carr as tweeted some clever comment.

However, using the rules to mitigate IHT is different to aggressive tax schemes designed to dodge the rules. IMO, the PM has used the IHT rules same as everyone else who is in danger of paying it (it is termed a voluntary tax) - assuming what we are told is indeed to truth. Jimmy Carr was advised to do something which wasn't "really" in the rules and so the morally wrong comment still stands.
Old 11 April 2016, 01:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
Whereas I don't disagree that the handling has been an absolute disaster (indicating that those advising the PM probably didn't understand the rules) the PM's use of the IHT rules is different to the Jimmy Carr thing.

I notice Jimmy Carr as tweeted some clever comment.

However, using the rules to mitigate IHT is different to aggressive tax schemes designed to dodge the rules. IMO, the PM has used the IHT rules same as everyone else who is in danger of paying it (it is termed a voluntary tax) - assuming what we are told is indeed to truth. Jimmy Carr was advised to do something which wasn't "really" in the rules and so the morally wrong comment still stands.
All avoidance is within the bell curve of tax law, it just depends where someone (usually that haven't done tax planning) draws the cut off to be acceptable.
Old 11 April 2016, 01:19 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

What is wrong is the legality of loopholes allowing the avoidance of corporation tax, that to me is what needs to be closed and enforced more rigorously.
Old 11 April 2016, 01:45 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Blimey - he had £12k in it - which eventually sold (before becoming PM!) for £31k - whoop de ******* doo - its not like he was siphoning millions through it was he
Jeez...
Considering the family money - its a drop in the ocean...

And as for the gift from his mother - any parent can give any amount of money they like to children but it falls in the 7 year sliding capital gains tax - if the parent lives the 7 years its free.....
I bet pretty much every parent in the land at some point has done this.....
Old 11 April 2016, 02:11 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

Cameron has not done any wrong, I quite sure that somebody in his position would be advised buy the people In the know, I am a bit more cynical and feel this is being done to discredit him prior to the European vote.
Old 11 April 2016, 03:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by daviee
Legal or moral, he is a leader he should lead by example, if not illegal why not send the workers of the country some leaflets on hints to pay our taxes through legal loopholes, instead of sending us them to stay in Europe.
An interesting article about Blair's financial assets. Slightly older but of interest in the current climate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...mper-year.html

And the UK could be in the top ten of world tax havens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35998801

Double standards?

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 11 April 2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11 April 2016, 06:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So hilariously the French wouldn't think of disclosing their personal tax affairs

Much like sticking to eu rules