Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scripture vs. the facts.

http://biologos.org/blogs/archive/sc...-understanding
Old 08 February 2016, 03:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

"We believe that God created the universe, the earth, and all life over billions of years. God continues to sustain the existence and functioning of the natural world, and the cosmos continues to declare the glory of God. Therefore, we reject ideologies such as Deism that claim the universe is self-sustaining, that God is no longer active in the natural world, or that God is not active in human history."

that's climate change sorted then!!

phew I thought all those 1000 of climate scientists where really onto something

turns out its Gods hand on the temperature ****

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 08 February 2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08 February 2016, 03:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved."
Old 08 February 2016, 03:51 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Jon, did you read the article?

Hodgy, good move. Give me some time to formulate a worthy response.
Old 08 February 2016, 04:04 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I could do with a bit of God :-(

Said a few prayers just lately :-(
Old 08 February 2016, 04:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

its a hobby really , isn't it
Old 08 February 2016, 04:14 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
I could do with a bit of God :-(

Said a few prayers just lately :-(
I'll clear my inbox, Loz, if you'd like to PM me.
Old 08 February 2016, 05:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

God continues to sustain the existence and functioning of the natural world,

Cancer? Parkinsons? Dementia? Infant sudden death syndrome?
Wars? Murders? Catastophes? Famine? Plague? Thirst? Over population?

I want nothing to do with that sort of God, thankyou, his/her control seems very wayward.
Old 08 February 2016, 05:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

As it happens there is much in the Old Testament about the end game with the Middle East falling apart and leading to an invasion into Egypt and Libya through Israel with Jerusalem being a focal point.

The "King of the North" can be construed as Russia opposing the "King of the South", Saudi Arabia.

Material in Daniel, Zechariah and Ezekiel.

David
Old 08 February 2016, 06:10 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
[/I]Cancer? Parkinsons? Dementia? Infant sudden death syndrome?
Wars? Murders? Catastophesx? Famine? Plague? Thirst? Over population?

I want nothing to do with that sort of God, thankyou, his/her control seems very wayward.
You forgot wasps.
Old 08 February 2016, 06:27 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
[/I]Cancer? Parkinsons? Dementia? Infant sudden death syndrome?
Wars? Murders? Catastophes? Famine? Plague? Thirst? Over population?

Couldnt agree more thats some god
Old 08 February 2016, 06:31 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
"We believe that God created the universe, the earth, and all life over billions of years. God continues to sustain the existence and functioning of the natural world, and the cosmos continues to declare the glory of God. Therefore, we reject ideologies such as Deism that claim the universe is self-sustaining, that God is no longer active in the natural world, or that God is not active in human history."

that's climate change sorted then!!

phew I though all those 1000 of climate scientists where really onto something

turns out its Gods hand on the temperature ****
Ok, a couple of issues to tidy up first. Do I subscribe to the consensus view that climate change is man made? Yes I do, so I think we're on the same page there. Secondly, we need to establish whether that's because man is innately and inherently evil (sinful i.e. one, more or all of the following: greedy, selfish, idolatrous etc.) or simply ignorant. Well I think the second (less serious) charge of ignorance can be dismissed if we accept that the evidence for climate change and the danger it poses to our world is being and has been ignored by the world's major players.

So the premise is that because of man's evil, God's creation (as I and the author of the piece in the link understand Him and it) is being, perhaps irreversibly, damaged. This poses myriad further questions, but I think the central one is that which theologians and philosophers refer to as 'the problem of evil': why does an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent and loving God allow bad things to happen? I'll offer explanations from my Christian vantage point. A) I don't always know, but I trust in the Lord and His sovereignty and as such I can have confidence that He's in control. B) The Fall. Whilst I'm not a "literalist" (although I do believe the story contains literal truth) I accept that man and nature has been corrupted and cursed owing to our disobedience and the disobedience of our common ancestors.

So why doesn't God intervene? A) We've been granted free will. B) He did when He sent His only Son to earth to die on the cross and atone for our sins.

What happens next? see Revelation 21.

Last edited by JTaylor; 08 February 2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08 February 2016, 06:40 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
You forgot wasps.
And mosquitoes.
Old 08 February 2016, 06:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
You forgot wasps.
Originally Posted by markjmd
And mosquitoes.
...and Exeter City F.C. All inexcusable.
Old 08 February 2016, 07:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
. B) The Fall. Whilst I'm not a "literalist" (although I do believe the story contains literal truth) I accept that man and nature has been corrupted and cursed owing to our disobedience and the disobedience of our common ancestors.
point a, can be dismissed out of hand - as Hitchens did with his famous "assertion" quote

point b, is interesting, I simply don't buy that, I have held my children from the moment of birth, they did not contain evil, they were not inherently sinful

indeed this concept that we should somehow feel "guilty" is a cop out

I remember being told at a lecture on "teenagers and how to live them" that we as parents probably feel guilty (presumably at being divorced, single, absent constant arguing, tensions etc etc) and this then affects how we interact with our teenagers

i put my hand up and said (in a packed hall lol)

"sorry but I don't feel guilty at all, my wife and I try and give our children the best environment to grow up in we possibly can - our house is full of love, fun and joy, my wife and i NEVER argue and we both love each other more and more and have done so for the last 34 years - moreover our children have all the opportunities we can possibly give them "

the lecturer seemed quite shocked, so no I don't feel guilty, feeling guilty is for people who have something to feel guilty about

what I did find interesting was reading the personal accounts of people who have gone through a "volte-face"

who have changed their mind - 180 degs (well not quite), by rejecting young earth creationism because it simply did not fit the evidence

their final position in my view is a fudge - but there you go, Rome was not built in a day

admitting you have been wrong is important - accepting a previous position you once held is simply not defensible is actually quite cathartic for the soul

I had a position on organ donation (that I got from my mother, who had very strong views) that I now accept is/was totally wrong

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 08 February 2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08 February 2016, 08:09 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
point a, can be dismissed out of hand - as Hitchens did with his famous "assertion" quote

point b, is interesting, I simply don't buy that, I have held my children from the moment of birth, they did not contain evil, they were not inherently sinful

indeed this concept that we should somehow feel "guilty" is a cop out

I remember being told at a lecture on "teenagers and how to live them" that we as parents probably feel guilty (presumably at being divorced, single, absent constant arguing, tensions etc etc) and this then affects how we interact with our teenagers

i put my hand up and said (in a packed hall lol)

"sorry but I don't feel guilty at all, my wife and I try and give our children the best environment to grow up in we possibly can - our house is full of love, fun and joy, my wife and i NEVER argue and we both love each other more and more and have done so for the last 34 years - moreover our children have all the opportunities we can possibly give them "

the lecturer seemed quite shocked, so no I don't feel guilty, feeling guilty is for people who have something to feel guilty about

what I did find interesting was reading the personal accounts of people who have gone through a "volte-face"

who have changed their mind - 180 degs (well not quite), by rejecting young earth creationism because it simply did not fit the evidence

their final position in my view is a fudge - but there you go, Rome was not built in a day

admitting you have been wrong is important - accepting a previous position you once held is simply not defensible is actually quite cathartic for the soul

I had a position on organ donation (that I got from my mother, who had very strong views) that I now accept is/was totally wrong
Yes, the point you make about your children is an interesting one. Here's a picture of the author of the Biologos piece with his boy:

Underneath the photo he says "though it's been said many times, many ways... being a dad is a transcendent joy." I imagine it would be hard for Stephen (with whom I am FB friends) to describe his boy as sinful. Theologically, the doctrine of original sin was countered by Pelagious who said that man was not inherently sinful and that (the archetype) Adam was merely a bad example. I side with Augustine and the reason is that when I meditated for some time on the nature of altruism I was unable to think of a solitary incident of the act as committed by a human, only that which Christ carried out at Calvary. I'm deeply selfish and only do good because of the grace of God.

Last edited by JTaylor; 08 February 2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08 February 2016, 09:35 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

You're suffering from mental illness. Get help, the medical kind that is
Old 08 February 2016, 10:40 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

About time we had a 'Religion Related' section.

This is getting tedious.
Old 10 February 2016, 12:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
You're suffering from mental illness. Get help, the medical kind that is
First, I trust this is not meant pejoratively. If your intention was to attack my worldview by insult then you also attack people struggling with mental illness. Assuming you intend a plain reading and your point is borne out of concern for my health, then I applaud and welcome your concern, but feel compelled to point out some material truths that you appear to have overlooked.

Dr. Ken Pargament says this: “When it comes to facilitating mental health, empirical data demonstrates that religious people have more positive emotion, more meaning in life, more life satisfaction, cope better with trauma, are more physically healthy, are more altruistic and socially connected, and are not diagnosed with mental illness more than other people.”

Additionally, science shows that human beings are hard-wired for faith, we have evolved to believe, so it is the High Priest of Atheism, Richard Dawkins, and his followers who suffer from a tragic affliction: a deficiency of faith.

I was once a Saul of Tarsus, too, but the Lord in His mercy saved a wretch like me. I'll pray for you, Warren.
Old 10 February 2016, 01:25 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I trust this is not meant pejoratively. If your intention was to attack my worldview by insult then you also attack people struggling with mental illness. Assuming you intend a plain reading and your point is borne out of concern for my health, then I applaud and welcome your concern, but feel compelled to point out some material truths that you appear to have overlooked.

Dr. Ken Pargament says this: “When it comes to facilitating mental health, empirical data demonstrates that religious people have more positive emotion, more meaning in life, more life satisfaction, cope better with trauma, are more physically healthy, are more altruistic and socially connected, and are not diagnosed with mental illness more than other people.”

Additionally, science shows that human beings are hard-wired for faith, we have evolved to believe, so it is the High Priest of Atheism, Richard Dawkins, and his followers who suffer from a tragic affliction: a deficiency of faith.

I was once a Saul of Tarsus, too, but the Lord in His mercy saved a wretch like me. I'll pray for you, Warren.

All very interesting. But even the muslims occasionally put 'faith' in perspective. One of their apt sayings is: 'Trust in God but tether your camel'. This is the crunch of course. At what problem level do you sit back and wait for God to sort it out as opposed to taking personal responsibility for outcomes?

Assuming God exists (quite a big assumption) then with an entire universe to worry about how could He possibly be concerned with the problems of individual humans? Best keep that camel tied up.
Old 10 February 2016, 01:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
'Trust in God but tether your camel'. .
yes, very good - lol
Old 10 February 2016, 02:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

All very interesting. But even the muslims occasionally put 'faith' in perspective. One of their apt sayings is: 'Trust in God but tether your camel'. This is the crunch of course. At what problem level do you sit back and wait for God to sort it out as opposed to taking personal responsibility for outcomes?

Assuming God exists (quite a big assumption) then with an entire universe to worry about how could He possibly be concerned with the problems of individual humans? Best keep that camel tied up.
Yes, interesting points. From Scripture, Luke 12 v7, the Lord says "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered." This is the very essence of a personal relationship with the providential Jesus. He is not the absent landlord of deism nor is he the non-trinitarian god of Islam. Jesus was and is fully man and fully God and able to know every scintilla of our being.

In the same chapter (Luke 12 v22-31) the Lord says: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."

So the Lord does indeed promise that He will provide so long as you seek His kingdom. The key word there is 'seek', which brings us nicely on to Matthew 7:7 which reads "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

We can see here that there is a relationship between the Creator and the created. We can trust in the Lord and trust that He will provide, but He also wants us to actively seek out that which we need.

Whilst I know the Lord will keep me today, I'll be sure to apply the handbrake when I park up later.
Old 10 February 2016, 03:00 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Yes, interesting points. From Scripture, Luke 12 v7, the Lord says "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered." This is the very essence of a personal relationship with the providential Jesus. He is not the absent landlord of deism nor is he the non-trinitarian god of Islam. Jesus was and is fully man and fully God and able to know every scintilla of our being.

In the same chapter (Luke 12 v22-31) the Lord says: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."

So the Lord does indeed promise that He will provide so long as you seek His kingdom. The key word there is 'seek', which brings us nicely on to Matthew 7:7 which reads "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

We can see here that there is a relationship between the Creator and the created. We can trust in the Lord and trust that He will provide, but He also wants us to actively seek out that which we need.

Whilst I know the Lord will keep me today, I'll be sure to apply the handbrake when I park up later.
BRIAN: …Consider the lilies… in the field…
ELSIE: Consider the lilies?
BRIAN: Uh, well, the birds, then.
EDDIE: What birds?
BRIAN: Any birds.
EDDIE: Why?
BRIAN: Well, have they got jobs?
ARTHUR: Who?
BRIAN: The birds.
EDDIE: Have the birds got jobs?!!
FRANK: What’s the matter with him?
ARTHUR: He says the birds are scrounging.
BRIAN: Oh, uhh, no, the point is the birds. They do all right. Don’t they?
FRANK: Well, good luck to ‘em.
EDDIE: Yeah. They’re very pretty.
BRIAN: Okay, and you’re much more important than they are, right? So, what are you worrying about? There you are. See?
EDDIE: I’m worrying about what you have got against birds.
BRIAN: I haven’t got anything against the birds. Consider the lilies.
ARTHUR: He’s having a go at the flowers now.
Old 10 February 2016, 04:10 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Hmm, these scriptures are all very fine when you live in the lap of luxury (by world standards) have a job and a full stomach. The world's starving millions might look askance at anyone preaching these 'truths' though. The scriptures seem to advocate indolence or apathy, because God will provide. But of course He never does, ever. The starving continue to starve, the suffering continue to suffer.
So we must help ourselves, strive to overcome obstacles and persevere with life in general. And even then we might hit the buffers hard.
Probably the most glib and amusing response I ever got from a man of the cloth, when I asked him why prayers are apparently never answered, was to claim that God always answers. But mostly he says no.
Old 10 February 2016, 04:49 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Hmm, these scriptures are all very fine when you live in the lap of luxury (by world standards) have a job and a full stomach. The world's starving millions might look askance at anyone preaching these 'truths' though. The scriptures seem to advocate indolence or apathy, because God will provide. But of course He never does, ever. The starving continue to starve, the suffering continue to suffer.
So we must help ourselves, strive to overcome obstacles and persevere with life in general. And even then we might hit the buffers hard.
Probably the most glib and amusing response I ever got from a man of the cloth, when I asked him why prayers are apparently never answered, was to claim that God always answers. But mostly he says no.
I hear you, but your enquiry was regarding providence, sovereignty and the nature of a personal relationship with God. If you're now asking about a lack of provision then I'd refer you to my post regarding the 'problem of evil' earlier in the thread.
Old 10 February 2016, 08:52 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

I hear you, but your enquiry was regarding providence, sovereignty and the nature of a personal relationship with God. If you're now asking about a lack of provision then I'd refer you to my post regarding the 'problem of evil' earlier in the thread.

My questions were rhetorical so not enquiries at all. And how about you employing some original thoughts, not endless quotes from the long dead? The best legal minds couldn't successfully argue the existence of God in a court, especially if they had to rely for evidence on your quotes, which constantly contradict themselves. To my mind they are just 'camel tethering' rephrased.
Old 10 February 2016, 09:18 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

My questions were rhetorical so not enquiries at all. And how about you employing some original thoughts, not endless quotes from the long dead? The best legal minds couldn't successfully argue the existence of God in a court, especially if they had to rely for evidence on your quotes, which constantly contradict themselves. To my mind they are just 'camel tethering' rephrased.
1 Corinthians 1:18
Old 10 February 2016, 09:39 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

1 Corinthians 1:18

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it: Gabe Suarez
Old 11 February 2016, 01:47 PM
Stiff
Scooby Regular

Old 11 February 2016, 08:02 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I'm not really sure what that article is trying to achieve (well, I probably do, but it just doesn't make sense at all).

For example.....

For example, I found particularly instructive the account of God making man from the dust of the earth, a picture consistent with evolution
Now, in what way is that consistent with what we know about evolution? Not even tenuously, does that come close to what evolution is.

To claim that God is 'doing' evolution and that science is simply uncovering his 'work' is so out of kilter with what is in the bible beggars belief.

And
God actually uses events that we observers experience as “chance” to bring about His purposeful end.
So is one of God's purposeful ends to make all antibiotics obsolete through bacterial evolution?

Quick Reply: Scripture vs. the facts.