Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Question for the Star Wars Fans/Geeks**

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2002, 02:01 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of us, after seeing Episode 2, agreed that Senator Palpatine is Darth Sidious (becomes Emperor Palpatine) but I was discussing with a friend and he said he disagreed. Basically in Episode 1 Emperor Palpatine, whilst talking to Darth Maul says "This is an unexpected move for her, its to agressive" obviously referring to Padme Amadala and to her going back to Naboo to help fight the trade federations. Yet well before that conversation shes already told Senator Palpatine that she is going back - if Senator Palpatine was Emperor Palpatine then he would already know???

Comments?
Old 10 June 2002, 02:10 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you noticed that and went on to discuss it...who's the geek?
Old 10 June 2002, 02:13 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Did I say I wasnt? If I did the title would have been "Question for the Star Wars Fans/Geeks** (by the way that doesnt include me)".
Old 10 June 2002, 02:17 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Maybe it's his long lost twin brother??

Seriously though, I believe that Senator Palpatine is Darth Sidious (Emperor Palpatine).

Remember the Senator mentioning at the end of the 1st episode "we will be watching you closely with interest" (or words to that effect) to young Anakin. Can he not sense the dark side in Anakin???

Just a thought.
Old 10 June 2002, 02:18 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't take it that literally really, i believe Darth S is just conveying the news to Darth M - perhaps there's a hint of a question or a consultation in there too...

mr palpatine is darth sidious, that's a certainty.
Old 10 June 2002, 02:42 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Wink

guys: IT'S NOT REAL!!
Old 10 June 2002, 03:19 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

of course it's not real, but it does make a fantastic story...
Old 10 June 2002, 04:13 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have some odd feeling I read somewhere that senator palpatine and darth sidious are not the same being, as in they are clones, though could be wrong.
Old 10 June 2002, 04:23 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

What ARE they talking about?
Old 10 June 2002, 04:25 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like a continuity error, rather than anything else.

D
Old 10 June 2002, 04:46 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

sidious is palpatine (look at credits) but also in later episodes palpatine gets jedi powers (force lightening) yeah palpatine is a clone well many times over he is as he dies twice but yet still comes back episodes 7-9. he has a planet with basically lots of bodies ready for him to move into when he needs to.
Old 10 June 2002, 04:54 PM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

also check out the hood !!!!!!!! Sidious wears it and palpatine wears the same one in the other films. Or maybe they just shop at the same shop bad *******s 'R' us
Old 10 June 2002, 05:15 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

(Geek Mode On)
In the book of the original (and best) film, there is a chapter explaining the rise of Palpatine to power within the Senate, his subsequent manouverings convincing the Senate to install him as emperor following the Clone War, probably ot be seen during Episode 3. Therefore, Palpatine is Darth Sidious, the unexpected move was the reaising of the army.
(Geek Mode Off)
Old 10 June 2002, 08:33 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

The phrase 'it's too aggressive' refers to Amedala going into hiding when she returns to Naboo. Palpatine expected her to return and hand herself over, not do the opposite.

Hope that clears that up.

DP.
Old 10 June 2002, 08:36 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I doubt Sidius is Palpatine. Probably one of his clones. The question is, which one is the original?
Old 10 June 2002, 11:26 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

drumsterphil - I dont think so. Mainly cos during the conversation, the trade fed bods say they have just picked up her ship and are monitoring its position. Therefore she hasnt even got to Naboo yet.
Old 11 June 2002, 01:37 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

http://www.northeastsprinkler.com/solf/misc/sw-triumph.wmv
Old 11 June 2002, 06:59 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

P1 - the trade visceroy says 'We've sent out patrols, we already located her starship in the swamp. It won't be long my lord' To which we get Palpatine's 'This is an unexpected move for her.......' . So she is indeed on Naboo. So I'll stand by my original post.

DP.

Old 11 June 2002, 09:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

lol - please tell me you just rewatched that scene and didnt actually know it off the top of your head?
Old 11 June 2002, 09:56 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

I think he meant that the move was unexpected as in it was out of character, even though he already knew. Like someone else said it's more of a statement than a question when siddious is speaking to maul.
Old 11 June 2002, 10:19 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Cool

P1 - it's only episode 4 I know the words to!!haha

Ok, I guess I may qualify as a geek!!

DP.
Old 12 June 2002, 08:48 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

i can provide proof of cloning if you would all like ??
Old 12 June 2002, 10:02 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Smile

Go on then....
Old 12 June 2002, 11:28 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

We are waiting......
Old 12 June 2002, 11:36 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

Will this do??

No one is quite sure how Palpatine was first introduced to the power of the dark side. He is the most powerful practitioner of the Sith ways in modern times. He studied the ancient ruins on the Sith mausoleum world of Korriban. He unlocked secrets of the Force from a captured Jedi Holocron. The dark side energies flowing through Palpatine's body were so intense, that they ravaged his mortal frame. The very source of Palpatine's strength was killing him.

To counter the dark side's consumption, Palpatine turned to a bizarre combination of technology and Sith magic. Palpatine used Spaarti cloning cylinders to create a store of younger bodies, and employed an ancient Sith technique to transfer his consciousness into a waiting clone. Thus, Palpatine could avoid death indefinitely -- as long as his supply of clones remained intact. He would change his form again and again, prolonging his life. Palpatine constructed a secret throne-world deep within the galaxy's core, on a shadowy world called Byss. Here, he kept his clones safe, protected by a loyal cadre of Dark Side Adepts.

Although Palpatine called for the extermination of the Jedi and any Force-sensitives who could conceivably challenge him, he did keep a few loyal agents who were trained in the Force. Darth Vader was chief among them, as his primary lieutenant and Sith apprentice. Palpatine also had a string of loyal, deadly agents referred to as his "Hands." Mara Jade was foremost among these dedicated enforcers.

At the Battle of Endor, Palpatine found himself facing death yet again. Betrayed by Vader, Palpatine's body was destroyed aboard the second Death Star. Separated from his clones, Palpatine was forced to survive in the maddening, bodiless existence of the void. Through sheer will he retained his identity, crossing the gulf of space to again take residence in his clone body. He barely survived Darth Vader's treachery. Palpatine remained sequestered at Byss while he rebuilt his strength, and his Empire.

Palpatine's rule was so absolute that his apparent death at Endor fragmented the Empire. With no obvious heir, opportunistic moffs and warlords set out to carve their own private fiefdoms where they could. Years of infighting worked to the advantage of the fledgling New Republic, who proceeded to reclaim three-fourths of the galaxy. One warlord who succeeded where imitators failed was Grand Admiral Thrawn, the only non-human to hold that rank. His cunning tactics and unerring strategies brought the Empire to the brink of victory five years after the Battle of Endor. Only a last minute betrayal spelled his defeat.

Spurred on by Thrawn's victories, the remaining Inner Circle of Imperial warlords staged a devastating attack on Coruscant. Whereas Thrawn sought to take the capital world intact, these Imperials attacked without compunction. Much of Imperial City was laid waste by the fighting, and the New Republic was forced to evacuate. Once on the surface, the Imperials splintered yet again, and skirmishes dragged on in amongst the ruined skyscrapers.

It was then that the resurrected Palpatine struck. Using his dark powers to invoke a Force storm of great magnitude, Palpatine swept Jedi Master Luke Skywalker to Byss. There, he revealed himself to Skywalker, and unveiled the true strength of the dark side. Faced with an immortal enemy, Skywalker did the unthinkable -- in order to defeat the dark side from within, Skywalker knelt before Palpatine, and declared himself his new apprentice. In these dark times, it seemed the Emperor had finally won.

Skywalker was too enmeshed in darkness to successfully rebel against his master. Although he sabotaged some of Palpatine's military ventures -- namely those involving immense war factories called World Devastators -- he still could do not draw himself from the pall of the dark side. It was only his sister, Leia Organa Solo, that gave him the extra strength he needed. With her presence, the two Skywalker twins were able to temporarily repulse Palpatine.

Unabated, the Emperor continued his scourge. Armed with an incredible new superweapon, the Galaxy Gun, Palpatine forced numerous New Republic worlds to capitulate to Imperial rule. Despite his growing Empire, Palpatine was again growing frail. His clones were failing him. He needed new blood. Palpatine targeted Leia's newborn son, Anakin Solo, as the next receptacle for his dark spirit. During an attempt to possess the child, Han Solo shot the ailing Palpatine in the back. Before his soul could enter Anakin's body, Palpatine was intercepted by a newfound Jedi, Empatojayos Brand. Cut off from a host body, Palpatine's essence dissipated, to be consumed by the madness that is the dark side. After so many years of bloodshed, the Emperor was truly dead.
Old 12 June 2002, 11:43 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

yeah, thats what i was gonna say.
Old 12 June 2002, 11:45 AM
dogmaul
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

good im glad you were id hate to see you been wrong
Old 12 June 2002, 11:52 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I read the Tim Zahn books (three of 'em, IIRC), but don't remember the bits about Palpatine

How is he 'dissipated when cut off from a host body' at the end, but not dissipated when cut off from a host body when Vader throws him into the core of Death Star II?
Old 12 June 2002, 12:01 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Whoa that was deep!!!
Old 12 June 2002, 12:07 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

How was he 'kept away from his clone body'? By the new Jedi using the force? (How convenient that there was a previously undiscovered Jedi on hand )

Quick Reply: Question for the Star Wars Fans/Geeks**