Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New lower Thames crossing......interested?

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2016, 12:48 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New lower Thames crossing......interested?

Have a look: https://highwaysengland.citizenspace...on-booklet.pdf

Ten years though, twelve if private money is needed. That's a LOT of disruption on existing routes that are already at a level where the slightest problem can have knock-on effects for hours!

Oh well, more infrastructure for the SE...why not?
Old 16 February 2016, 02:45 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yes - looks handy for getting all the migrants from the channel ports right up north as quickly as possible - with the minimum delay
Old 16 February 2016, 02:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If only that weren't true....
Old 16 February 2016, 04:50 PM
t1gger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took some one in work 4 hours to get from grays to purfleet the day they shut the bridge .10 to 12 years time it won't be enough to cope with the traffic again
Old 16 February 2016, 06:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The problem is, as always, that they build these roads to get the traffic out of town, then build out of town shopping centres at every junction....and THEN moan about town centres being destroyed!

The French do the same....the "rocade" skirting Chartres used to be easy and quick. Now it's queuing at every roundabout as traffic comes in on what were, originally, empty roads.

Still, what do we know?
Old 16 February 2016, 07:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that the cathedral you can see from miles and miles away on trip , to say Toulouse
Old 16 February 2016, 07:28 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
yes - looks handy for getting all the migrants from the channel ports right up north as quickly as possible - with the minimum delay

whoaaa whoaaa
leave it out.
Were full up here you know.

Still plenty of big London properties to divi up into multi occupancy units though....
Old 16 February 2016, 08:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Is that the cathedral you can see from miles and miles away on trip , to say Toulouse
Yes, lots of roads round there are of Roman origin, and quite straight, plus the region is relatively flat (the Beauce), so the cathedral can often be seen from twenty miles out. Sometimes the heat haze makes it look like it's floating.
Old 17 February 2016, 12:05 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yes, lots of roads round there are of Roman origin, and quite straight, plus the region is relatively flat (the Beauce), so the cathedral can often be seen from twenty miles out. Sometimes the heat haze makes it look like it's floating.
Careful, that looks suspiciously like invading migrants doing something positive.
Old 17 February 2016, 12:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

so shoudl they do nothing then and when it should have been finished the current roads will be traffic jam 24/7?
Old 17 February 2016, 01:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
so shoudl they do nothing then and when it should have been finished the current roads will be traffic jam 24/7?

The local highways meddling department round here seem to be focused on creating gridlock by reducing road capacity....they've made dual carriageways into single carriageways and two lane roundabouts into single ones.

Slight positive is now I can pull out at the end of my road as its now all stationary/crawling traffic....still will get 4/5 ***** who crawl past at 2mph and not let me out. Just now I wait for 5mins in traffic as opposed to waiting 5mins for a big enough gap in fast moving traffic (unless I do a full-beans launch and scare my passengers ).
Old 17 February 2016, 01:33 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
Careful, that looks suspiciously like invading migrants doing something positive.
Yeah maybe, but I'll give you three guesses how that particular crop of migrants would have dealt with the bunch that alcazar is talking about
Old 17 February 2016, 02:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The local highways meddling department round here seem to be focused on creating gridlock by reducing road capacity....they've made dual carriageways into single carriageways and two lane roundabouts into single ones.

Slight positive is now I can pull out at the end of my road as its now all stationary/crawling traffic....still will get 4/5 ***** who crawl past at 2mph and not let me out. Just now I wait for 5mins in traffic as opposed to waiting 5mins for a big enough gap in fast moving traffic (unless I do a full-beans launch and scare my passengers ).
some schemes are brainless and made up by people who don't know the area. I used to work for a company that had a roads section and at times i think they missed the hanger, let alone the target lol

That or arbitrary, lets reduce accident figures by reducing speed, even though it makes no sence
Old 17 February 2016, 06:15 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Yeah maybe, but I'll give you three guesses how that particular crop of migrants would have dealt with the bunch that alcazar is talking about
Probably the same way they dealt with the natives that didn't cooperate
Old 17 February 2016, 06:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Not what I said at all, if you read my post?

Just commenting that those living down there can expect more disruption. The area round the A2/M25 has been awful for YEARS now, no matter what they do.

I've started trying to avoid the Dartford crossing, Dover and Calais as much as possible....in fact I'd be pleased as punch if I never had to see any one of the three ever again, Dartford for its queues, Dover for it's un-welcoming port and Calais for it's migrants and filth.
Old 19 February 2016, 07:46 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Not what I said at all, if you read my post?

Just commenting that those living down there can expect more disruption. The area round the A2/M25 has been awful for YEARS now, no matter what they do.

I've started trying to avoid the Dartford crossing, Dover and Calais as much as possible....in fact I'd be pleased as punch if I never had to see any one of the three ever again, Dartford for its queues, Dover for it's un-welcoming port and Calais for it's migrants and filth.
Is lovely in Dorset, although did get stuck behind a tractor a couple of days back, put 2½ minutes on my commute.

Bet he was related to LSherrett !
Old 24 February 2016, 07:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

looks like dover / lower thames crossing could be redundant ,

zeebrugge direct to hull is the new way
Old 24 February 2016, 08:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yep. I might look at flying, buy myself a little french runabout and leave it at Limoges Bellegarde.