Petrol prices are low right ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2016, 06:07 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol prices are low right ?

No, not always.

The following was posted on TRO forum yesterday.

Ultimate unleaded - beware I got caught today
Business meeting in Trowbridge today using the EP3, pulled into a BP petrol station in the middle of Trowbridge, sign outside saying - diesel 99.9 & 101.9 so pulled in. Filled up with Ultimate 47.86 litres then I notice the price £75.09? Hmm that cant be right, closer inspection at the pump display price 156.9 pence per litre !!!!!! Cant be right can it?

I know it says the price on the front of the pump, but who looks at it? It's a BP station that you trust and you've already seen the price for the other fuels so stupidly I expected a similar price?

It's not as if I can put it back on the shelf or refuse to pay!

Well and truly shafted....

Conversation with the cash desk they said the price was "company policy", what to rip motorists off said I?

Feeling mugged/robbed/abused/ripped off by BP and a franchised outlet...
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/La...x.jpg.html?o=0

Old 03 February 2016, 10:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sold in smaller quantities, may not have been filled for a few weeks...which begs the question as to how good it is?
Old 03 February 2016, 12:04 PM
jason7579
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking about petrol prices the other day after hearing someone mention how low they are. It wasn't long ago that the country was at almost standstill because of the news that prices were going to go above 99.9 pence per litre. Now it has reduced to around that again people are saying that prices are low.

I know that it is all relative but I would personally say that sub 80 pence per litre is low, anything else is typical of us in the UK getting bent over and happily taking it. Looking at a comparison site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21238363) it appears that we have the 5th highest petrol prices in the world. I'm not sure how up to date or comprehensive this list is.
Old 03 February 2016, 12:13 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rapid17
No, not always.

Business meeting in Trowbridge today using the EP3, pulled into a BP petrol station in the middle of Trowbridge, sign outside saying - diesel 99.9 & 101.9 so pulled in. Filled up with Ultimate 47.86 litres then I notice the price £75.09? Hmm that cant be right, closer inspection at the pump display price 156.9 pence per litre !!!!!! Cant be right can it?

I know it says the price on the front of the pump, but who looks at it? It's a BP station that you trust and you've already seen the price for the other fuels so stupidly I expected a similar price?

Conversation with the cash desk they said the price was "company policy", what to rip motorists off said I?

And that kids is where they went wrong. You wouldn't blindly buy something without checking the price anywhere else, so why do it at the petrol station.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Once on the way back from Newcastle heading south back home on the A1, stopped for some fuel- just 95RON; glazed over when filling up (been up since 5:00am), when I was suddenly distracted by a guy at the next pump swearing out loud "how f**king much!?, you must be F**kin joking!".

It was only then when I looked at the price...20p MORE per litre than the when I filled up earlier back home. No wonder he was swearing. I quickly stopped the pump at that point and paid up feeling mugged.

And just to rub salt in the wound I then drove about 5miles down the road and went past a station charging roughly 20p less.

Last edited by ALi-B; 03 February 2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, they do that, and still stay open.

Local french supermarket has diesel at €1.18/l
Up the road, a Total station sells it at €1.29/l...and somehow, does trade.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:33 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

No, not always.

So are you saying the Ultimate was 156.9 per litre, but normal unleaded and diesel were as advertised on the main board?

If so, what are you complaining about? If not, and Ultimate was advertised as 101.9 or 99.9, then you should go to see your local Trading Standards as it is false advertising.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yep, they do that, and still stay open.

Local french supermarket has diesel at €1.18/l
Up the road, a Total station sells it at €1.29/l...and somehow, does trade.

Madness: Especially when the French have the "Prix des carburants" website, which on the mobile phone tells you exactly where the cheapest fuel is relative to your current position. I use it all the time when travelling through.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:49 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Over a 50% premium for SUL is a bit ambitious of the petrol station in fairness though.......
Old 03 February 2016, 02:27 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
So are you saying the Ultimate was 156.9 per litre, but normal unleaded and diesel were as advertised on the main board?

If so, what are you complaining about? If not, and Ultimate was advertised as 101.9 or 99.9, then you should go to see your local Trading Standards as it is false advertising.
Read the post again matey, I'm not saying anything, I copied and pasted a post from Type R owner's forum.
Old 04 February 2016, 01:00 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Its annoying that the dont advertise the SUL price on the main signage. Generally you would expect it to be 5-6p more a litre but 50p is taking the mick. I always check what comes up the display and recheck to make sure its the right fuel. But I could see how people could be caught out. Lesson learned move on.
Old 05 February 2016, 03:11 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Read the post again matey, I'm not saying anything, I copied and pasted a post from Type R owner's forum.
Sorry, you're quite right.
Old 05 February 2016, 10:31 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Its annoying that the dont advertise the SUL price on the main signage. Generally you would expect it to be 5-6p more a litre but 50p is taking the mick. I always check what comes up the display and recheck to make sure its the right fuel. But I could see how people could be caught out. Lesson learned move on.

That is SO annoying!
They should have to display the cost of every different fuel they sell. If sell LPG they always display the price, so it should be the same with SU