Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Walking shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2016, 11:30 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walking shoes?

Can anyone recommend some reasonable walking shoes for general use on dirt tracks, heathland etc for when it's a bit wet/muddy under foot?

I have some walking boots already but don't always want something that size/weight when it's just a bit wet out but would like something a bit more substantial than normal trainers as they just get messed up too quickly and ain't too good at keeping the water out (not that I'm walking through rivers, just wet grass etc).

I don't mind spending £100 ish or so for a reasonable pair as long as they do what they say they will (read quite a few reviews for some goretex shoes only for people to say they still leak) e.g. keep my feet dry and be reasonably comfortable at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by stiscooby; 21 January 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 21 January 2016, 11:45 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Altbergs tend to be good

http://www.altberg.co.uk/
Old 22 January 2016, 01:42 AM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I have always liked the Brashers range
Old 22 January 2016, 07:04 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a couple of pairs, Berghaus and Solomon I'll only use the Berghaus in the wet but on paths, I think you'll struggle to find many shoes that can cope with wet grass out in the country side, unless it's been kept like a golf course, because it's worse than standing in a puddle in reality as they will be constantly wet and constantly moving, also if the grass is any longer than your ankle is high then you're always going to get wet feet, a lot of boots would struggle to be fair, no matter how good they are there's always going to be seams and stitching.

You might want to take a look at water proof socks, I used to wear them while trail riding on motorbikes, work pretty well but even they can suffer over prolonged periods.
Old 22 January 2016, 01:35 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought these last week, £104 from Go Outdoors. General walking with the dog, hills, farm, etc.

Berghaus Hillmaster II (brashers and berghaus have merged so this latest design has been made with the combined efforts of both companies)
Name:  57F9A896-B4DF-4244-82DB-BC8D58C4B92B_zps1za8wi0m.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  36.8 KB

They're my first pair of proper walking boots so I have nothing to compare them to. I have narrow-ish feet and they fit very well, they're comfortable from the word go and when they're broken in properly they'll get even more comfortable. They have that Gortex lining so they should be 100% waterproof unless you pour water into the boot. They also have a Vibram sole which is meant to be the very best.

I opted for a leather boot and less stitching due to easy maintenance compared to fabric boots.

Last edited by LSherratt; 22 January 2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 22 January 2016, 02:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the OP is looking for something more like a sturdy waterproof shoe, rather that a boot
Old 22 January 2016, 02:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

he did boots in 2013

Trending Topics

Old 22 January 2016, 03:05 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Why bother with a "sturdy shoe?". Surely that's basically just a boot? I highly doubt you'll find a "sturdy" shoe that's waterproof for walking through fields and mud paths that will be better than a boot. Boots aren't particularly heavy anyway.
Old 22 January 2016, 09:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Christ I only bought a cheap pair of walking shoes 2 days ago, and here's a thread about walking shoes!

Anyway, I got myself a mesh N' all made fancy walking boots with aqua blue inlay this time because I wanted my these new boots to be more flexible than my a bit more expensive leather walking boots. These ones are Hi Tec make. The outdoor shop lady told me that they're dead good to keep the water out, but I'm not so sure. They'll be good on the rocky hills due to their bendy quality. They have quite a comfy sole each to them, if not a proper kick@ss one; like my leather ones have. They were only 40 quid from the village on the river among the mountains, so I won't regret if they croak it in a few months. I nearly bought warm socks but a pair was like either a tenner or at least 22 quid. Therefore I sacked buying them, and will wear double socks inside, if desperate.
Old 22 January 2016, 09:55 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
he did boots in 2013
Blimey, was it that long ago!

I did end up with some Meindl Burma Pro GTX boots which do a good job (still have them) but when the local dirt tracks are just a bit wet out sometimes the boots can be a bit over kill so I stick some old trainers on (these are old now so I can even get water coming in through the soles just by walking down the pavement when its wet - I'm not a tramp by the way ) so could do with getting some new shoes and thought while I'm at it why not get something that can handle the conditions a little better than normal style trainers.

To be honest, I mentioned wet grass but most of the areas I walk about around here are the local woods, so just dirt tracks/paths really. As mentioned, if I were to be walking in grass longer than what you might see on the side of the pavement then I would stick the boots on.

Things like these for example - http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/meindl-r...-shoes-p276873

Last edited by stiscooby; 22 January 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 22 January 2016, 10:50 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Ah I see the sort of thing you're after now. To be honest, I didn't think there was anything like that even available. They look good, but not what I'd call sturdy though. I guess there are compromises between sturdiness and weight.
Old 23 January 2016, 11:11 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If you're not looking for something to replace a proper pair of boots, try these:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor...lcode=18307504

I've worn them as an everyday casual shoe and for my daily cycle commute for the past couple of years, and they're surpisingly good. The sole pattern gives plenty of grip on a mix of surfaces, the waterproofing is more than adequate for an ordinary amount of rain, and they're solid enough not to flex excessively even after a few miles pressing down on the pedals (if you've ever tried cycling in any, you'll know that lighter-weight trainers fall down particularly badly in this regard). At the price, it's hard to see them not working out better value than something costing three or four times as much, even if you have to replace them slightly more often.
Old 23 January 2016, 11:40 AM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Keep an eye on the likes of sports direct online. I've picked up 4 pairs of Salomon's recently, 1 pair of goretex trainers, goretex walking shoes, a pair of goretex boots picked all these up at £50 a pair. Then got a pair of normal trainers for £25 a couple of weeks ago, plus because I collected in store I got a £5 voucher each time. I find them very comfortable. I've worn the goretex trainers a lot and so far they seem very waterproof, used them on mixed terrains. I have had goretex Nike and Asics trainers before, these have been ok but not as comfortable or waterproof/resistant as the Solomans have been.
Old 23 January 2016, 09:15 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Ivee got a pair of Timberland boots and have found they fair up well in wet muddy conditions.
Old 23 January 2016, 09:50 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

These are pretty cheap and have found them to be pretty good quality as well, I buy a pair each year for Galstonbury, stand up to the wet weather you normally get, are also pretty comfy.

Current pair are waterproof, laced but also have a zip down the side, so you can get them on and off easily with little mess when they are wet.

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/cat/footwear
Old 24 January 2016, 08:31 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ayde
Keep an eye on the likes of sports direct online. I've picked up 4 pairs of Salomon's recently, 1 pair of goretex trainers, goretex walking shoes, a pair of goretex boots picked all these up at £50 a pair. Then got a pair of normal trainers for £25 a couple of weeks ago, plus because I collected in store I got a £5 voucher each time. I find them very comfortable. I've worn the goretex trainers a lot and so far they seem very waterproof, used them on mixed terrains. I have had goretex Nike and Asics trainers before, these have been ok but not as comfortable or waterproof/resistant as the Solomans have been.
I have to say the Salomons are the best for comfort, I have a few pairs now and one pair that I've literally worn to death for over 3yrs as well as working outside in them for 2 of those years as I had a foot injury and they were the only things I could wear for any length of time, I'll be getting the leather version of them soon.

Pics to follow.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 January 2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 24 January 2016, 08:42 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I have to say the Solomans are the best for comfort, I have a few pairs now and one pair that I've literally worn to death for over 3yrs as well as working outside in them for 2 of those years as I had a foot injury and they were the only things I could wear for any length of time, I'll be getting the leather version of them soon.

Pics to follow.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:02 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

As you can see I take my footwear seriously

The two on the left that are the same but different colours I wear in the summer for general out and about stuff, so light and comfortable it's un real, after buying the first pair about 5yrs ago (blue) I went out and got the black ones almost immediately (2/3months) then as winter came I bought the battered ones for general winter wear.

This time when I needed new boots it had to be salomon, they're around 5months old, non of them are cheap at about £100 a pop, boots £150, but they're worth every penny.

The ones you'll be interested in are the Berghaus, (Far right front) I've had them maybe 8yrs and they're my go to winter shoe, and I'll take them travelling to 3rd world type countries or anytime I know I'm going to be outside on my feet all day and maybe some rough terrain, again really comfortable. You may also be interested in something like the blue ones above them, they're LA Sportiva approach shoes, very versatile and can be used for bouldering but I only use those in summer, they're a bit more expensive than Salomons but again worth it, my serious mountain boots are made by them and over 16yrs old and been half way round the world as well as regular uk outings and still good, just a bit heavy, hence the salomon lightweight boots.

HTH.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:15 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Salomons are really light and comfy i wear them alot for traveling and waiting around at airports etc.Not long ago did a 14 hour hike in the speedcross trainers over in czech.After two years of hitting the trails and sometimes working in them,the grip is starting to wear,salomons are well worth paying for.
I also like hanwag footwear range.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:45 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Salomons are really light and comfy i wear them alot for traveling and waiting around at airports etc.Not long ago did a 14 hour hike in the speedcross trainers over in czech.After two years of hitting the trails and sometimes working in them,the grip is starting to wear,salomons are well worth paying for.
I also like hanwag footwear range.
I can't praise them enough, especially the battered pair, that despite the top skin being ripped are still in tact, they've only torn due to cement rotting them and I still wear them about the garden and for light duties around the house because they are so comfortable, they also don't smell like some trainers do if you wear them a lot, not that I do wear my others often as I have maybe 15 pairs in rotation at any one time and that's just trainer type footwear.

I can't wear fashion type trainers for any length of time as they just make my feet ache, I'm also out in the countryside most of the time so need more robust stuff Sambas and the like wouldn't last 5mins with me, that said there are a few pairs of Nike etc in the collection, I'm footwear crazy.
Old 24 January 2016, 12:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought the leather Salomons and hate them, just not the same. Wear my fabric ones all day every day, many pairs, many years, many miles.

These I think http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-moun...k-man/121131/p
Old 24 January 2016, 01:40 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

WOW! I could paint a rainbow with all these colours of your shoes, Ditch! A pair a day of the week to go raving, if not ranting!
Have a rest on Sunday, of course.

Old 24 January 2016, 03:30 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Ayde

Are you a centipede?
Old 24 January 2016, 04:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

iv got about 5 pairs shoes all in , but I'm not as rich as you lot lol
Old 24 January 2016, 04:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
iv got about 5 pairs shoes all in , but I'm not as rich as you lot lol
Right, if everyone is showing off their walking shoes, I may as well chip in, with my boasting.

Here are my latest walking shoes. I’m sorry for calling them fancy etc. because they’re nowhere as cool as Ditchy’s. Anyway, here they are……………>

Name:  IMG_2610.jpg
Size:  262.7 KB

Their specs are as follows………………>

Name:  IMG_2611.jpg
Size:  225.6 KB

I mean for 40 quid, they’re not too bad.

I went for a walk today with them on. Surprisingly, I, in my new walking shoes met an orphan glove that’d go down very well with Ditchy’s colourful shoes…………….>

Name:  IMG_2636.jpg
Size:  424.5 KB

The evidence of me encountering this multi-coloured glove as follows……………………….>

Name:  IMG_2639.jpg
Size:  357.2 KB

I was there in my new walking shoes, see!^

Disclaimer: I did not put this lost glove on the tree stump, nor did I sculpt the ‘middle finger up’ gesture with that. I discovered it like that.
However…………..

FAO Ditch,

If it’s your lost glove from your last visit to North Wales, let me know. I’ll pick it up tomorrow and post it to you, mate

Last edited by Turbohot; 24 January 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 24 January 2016, 05:11 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Got pair active air gore tex for that type stuff and pair moac overdrive for hills

but I guess I'm not serious

mate got a pair ridiculous serious hiking boots , cramp on applicable .

this was 15 year ago - I doubt hes warn them in YET

Last edited by dpb; 24 January 2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 24 January 2016, 05:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Got pair active air gore tex for that type stuff and pair moac overdrive for hills

but I guess I'm not serious
I'm the same, not some marathon walker here. I walk the walk and talk the talk and that gets me everywhere. Not into walking for miles or joining our local Ramo ramblers groups etc. I don't even have a dog as an excuse for walking. I just pretend as if there's an imaginary dog on a leash with me while I'm on my little walking missions.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:28 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Wow, some serious walking boot inferiority complexes going on here, I better not get the rest of my collection out or you guys will seriously blow a fuse

Please try to put this into context, I am properly into footwear, I put it down to my mum not letting me have the shoes I wanted as a child, because we were a bit on the poor side tbh and I basically got what my parents could afford, which wasn't much, but to be fair seeing how my own son is growing and how fast he goes through shoes and clothes, I think I was actually doing pretty good for the time.

It's amusing how you guys think this is a lot because I've got loads more.

And I mean loads and that's just trainers.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Wow, some serious walking boot inferiority complexes going on here, I better not get the rest of my collection out or you guys will seriously blow a fuse

Please try to put this into context, I am properly into footwear, I put it down to my mum not letting me have the shoes I wanted as a child, because we were a bit on the poor side tbh and I basically got what my parents could afford, which wasn't much, but to be fair seeing how my own son is growing and how fast he goes through shoes and clothes, I think I was actually doing pretty good for the time.

It's amusing how you guys think this is a lot because I've got loads more.

And I mean loads and that's just trainers.
A little taster.

And thats just another six pairs i grabbed from the easy to get to stuff.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 January 2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Sad thing is I can do that again and that's just from what I have here in Croatia, can probably pull another 12 + pairs out in the UK, and we didn't get to shoes, ankle boots, boots and miscellaneous footwear yet.

Quick Reply: Walking shoes?