Snow

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2016, 08:24 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow

It's here!

I am late to work as I've had to scrape it off my motor and clear up the driveway.

What's it like your way?
Old 14 January 2016, 08:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Forecast: Dry, bright, heavy frost.

Actual: 100% overcast, no sun, 6 deg, pouring.

Met Office eh???
Old 14 January 2016, 08:53 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wet and or cold but likely both till July and then just wet
Old 14 January 2016, 08:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bright no snow
Old 14 January 2016, 10:04 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Overcast here, expecting sleet later today.
Old 14 January 2016, 10:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Still the same here, and they are still saying dry and bright with frost
Old 14 January 2016, 10:46 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It's the pre-math that's more bone-chilling than during-math and aftermath. Radio 4 sorted my head out though, by telling how bad Russia gets it but life goes on as ever, over there. R4 said that they have fantastic machines to move the snow out of the way and take it away completely, and that makes a huge diffrence. The reporter was't sure what happens to that tonnes of scooped up snow, though. He was due to tell later, but before he could tell, I had reached my destination among the snowy covered hills here.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2016, 10:52 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Still the same here, and they are still saying dry and bright with frost
Frost literally does my head in. It gives me headaches and restless sleep. I can feel it long before it arrives.
Old 14 January 2016, 12:11 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

pics or its BS!!!!!

lol
Old 14 January 2016, 01:19 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A Picasso drove past me covered in snow. I'm guessing it came from the Malverns as its a bit higher up than round here.
Old 14 January 2016, 01:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
pics or its BS!!!!!

lol
No, no. It's true. Look up Flintshire weather for early this morning (12:00 am onwards) and you'll see I'm telling nothing but the truth. I did think of taking the pic on my iPad before I left for work, but I was rushing. I could have taken the pics of the Horse Shoe Pass hills that are covered with thick snow, but it's been shut due to dangerous weather conditions.

Cats weren't desperate at all to get out this morning. I'll chuck them out to play in snow when I get back. Mind you, rain might have washed away all that fallen snow that end- by now.
Old 14 January 2016, 01:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
No, no. It's true. Look up Flintshire weather for early this morning (12:00 am onwards) and you'll see I'm telling nothing but the truth. I did think of taking the pic on my iPad before I left for work, but I was rushing. I could have taken the pics of the Horse Shoe Pass hills that are covered with thick snow, but it's been shut due to dangerous weather conditions.

Cats weren't desperate at all to get out this morning. I'll chuck them out to play in snow when I get back. Mind you, rain might have washed away all that fallen snow that end- by now.
poor excuse, i suspect it was dirt on the windows hats now washed off,,,

Old 14 January 2016, 02:16 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
poor excuse, i suspect it was dirt on the windows hats now washed off,,,

Well I can't really help a doubting Thomas, but why would I lie?? I'm not some Daily Fail sensationalist, nor do I find snow a laughing matter. Think!
Old 14 January 2016, 02:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 14 January 2016, 02:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

FINALLY stopped raining, bright patches on the horizon, (which is a long way off in the flatlands), and the wind has razor blades in it.
Old 14 January 2016, 09:24 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

We had a 50% chance of snow before 8pm, though with the car reading 3 degrees at 5:30pm that was never going to happen. Would love a snow day though so live in hope....
Old 14 January 2016, 10:13 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the surprize with it snowing?

It's the first half of winter in Britain, snow happens!

I'll guess that it will snow some more during 'winter' and get colder than it has been.

Forecast for the next 2 months - rain, cold winds, frost overnight, bright spells, sleet or snow/snow showers
Old 14 January 2016, 11:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoozyDave
What's the surprize with it snowing?

It's the first half of winter in Britain, snow happens!

I'll guess that it will snow some more during 'winter' and get colder than it has been.

Forecast for the next 2 months - rain, cold winds, frost overnight, bright spells, sleet or snow/snow showers

No I didn't mean to say that the sun rose in the west or anything like that, because that will be an unbelievable surprise. I still think that it's quite a magic to see a snow fall (no matter how inconvenient) as it doesn't snow that much in the UK, does it. All that White Christmas and a fat snowman with a carrot for a nose and coal pieces for eyes and with your old scarf around his neck seem to be just the fairy tale stuff. It does happen but not that often. The worst snow fall of late was in March 2013. Even January 2010 snow fall wasn't as harsh, although 2010 was impactful due to the stubborn longetivity of the fallen flakes. I understand that Scotland has different story, though. They live in a fairy tale there; snow wise.

Last edited by Turbohot; 14 January 2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 15 January 2016, 05:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Today we got the dry and bright, sun was warm inside the house, but the frost stayed all day in the shade.
Old 15 January 2016, 07:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well we have had more snow again last night and today, but it kept getting washed by the sleety rain. There's still some stubborn snow on the road. Put it that way that it's snowing as it feels like it.

My workplace had more snow last night, but I could make it to the valleys via the hills with not much effort. Everyone was wishing for a snow holiday, but it didn't happen.

Horse Shoe Pass was opened this morning, but even a 4B4 could have skidded down the steep drop, if not extra vigilant, as there was so much snow and ice on the benders there. I had no guts to stop there and start taking pictures like some fool, but I took this mediocre iPhone pic from the valley village in my break time, just to capture the snow covered Horse Shoe Pass hills:

Name:  Snow%20Jan%202016.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  155.0 KB

You may see two or three ducks still p7ssing about in the canal. This canal surface was frozen yesterday, but I've noticed that these ducks are damn good in breaking ice and warming the frozen waters with their piddle-paddling.

Perhaps they should post here on SN.
Old 15 January 2016, 10:32 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

No I didn't mean to say that the sun rose in the west or anything like that, because that will be an unbelievable surprise. I still think that it's quite a magic to see a snow fall (no matter how inconvenient) as it doesn't snow that much in the UK, does it. All that White Christmas and a fat snowman with a carrot for a nose and coal pieces for eyes and with your old scarf around his neck seem to be just the fairy tale stuff. It does happen but not that often. The worst snow fall of late was in March 2013. Even January 2010 snow fall wasn't as harsh, although 2010 was impactful due to the stubborn longetivity of the fallen flakes. I understand that Scotland has different story, though. They live in a fairy tale there; snow wise.

I like to see snow too, but it doesn't seem as often or as deep as 25 years ago.

It was heavy around here in 2010, we had a meet in Worksop and drove down the A57, 2 hours later when we were coming home the road was blocked. Some vehicles were stranded for over 2 days!
Old 16 January 2016, 01:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Snowed again here last night/early morning, and more to come as per the forecast. It was a right job getting to the car on my drive and trying to slip it off the drive, in order to get to the office in town. Office drive was terrible! I fell on my @rse there last year by slipping on the black ice, so today, I was extra vigilant.

I tell you what helped this morning. A tube of cooking salt. Nothing unknown to the amazing humans as wise and experienced as you lot, but I can't thank enough the tube of 750 gr. salt for .27p from Aldi, which had been lying about in my kitchen cupboard. I think crushed sea salt would have been better, but we eat that ourselves in our food

So, basically, as I don't buy the rock salt anymore, I used table salt to melt the ice on my drive at the location I was to put my foot on, and that helped. I did the same on the office drive. It enabled me to walk on the ice more efficiently with my handbag and heely boots. I've bought two more tubes and I'll keep one in my massive handbag during this freezing weather spell.
Old 16 January 2016, 03:32 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Just back home, winter wonderland here.
Name:  image_zpss3w1uaid.jpeg
Size:  195.2 KB
Old 16 January 2016, 04:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Where's 'here', Daviee? You seem to have had plenty. Time to make some slush puppy. I like the colour of your car.
Old 16 January 2016, 04:55 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Where's 'here', Daviee? You seem to have had plenty. Time to make some slush puppy. I like the colour of your car.
Greenock Scotland, still chucking it down and a other weather warning for tomorrow.
Old 16 January 2016, 05:04 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Greenock Scotland, still chucking it down and a other weather warning for tomorrow.
Hm. Scotland always gets it in abundance. In the next post, it will be cool if, for our entertainment, you provide a picture of a fat snowman complete with charcoal eyes, carrot for a nose and your/your missus's scarf around its neck.
Old 16 January 2016, 05:24 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Hm. Scotland always gets it in abundance. In the next post, it will be cool if, for our entertainment, you provide a picture of a fat snowman complete with charcoal eyes, carrot for a nose and your/your missus's scarf around its neck.
Dark now this is just after I put the car in the garage and walked to the front of the house, maybe a snowman tomorrow if I use one of her ed hardy scarfs I will be homeless.
Name:  image_zpsw69oy20k.jpeg
Size:  430.5 KB
Old 16 January 2016, 05:39 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Daviee, I think it's amazing that you remember the makes of the things that your lady wears. If her scarf isn't an option, just use your most disliked tie for the purpose. If that's not an option either, use a couple of your old socks, tie them together to make a scarf-like article. Or, an old tea towel would do. Do anything, but scarf is essential imo. Look forward to the pic of the snowman.

Good pic of your street! We had snow like that in N. Wales in March 2013. Our fat cat disappeared under the snow, and reappeared like a snow lion in our garden:

Name:  dada3fdf-013a-4e8b-86ce-8e763f21d6c3.jpg
Size:  116.5 KB

Old 16 January 2016, 10:50 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of snow here Swati, West Yorkshire
Old 16 January 2016, 11:11 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular