When compassion turns blind

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2016, 03:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When compassion turns blind

http://news.sky.com/story/1620091/ai...o-smuggle-girl

Saw him talk on Sky news. He probably will be punished, but I do feel sorry for the guy.

If it were my child that he had taken away, my feeling would have been very different, of course.

What a story, I thought.
Old 10 January 2016, 09:06 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

I'm sure every people smuggling case is terrible. But lets look at some facts. a) it is most often criminals doing it for money. Are we sure no money was involved here? b) They are not refugees. They came from Afghanistan. Through several safe countries. So what if there is family in UK? Beggars cant be choosers. First safe country. c) Who is going to support the kid? The UK taxpayer? No thanks, plenty here already that need help. The family - yeah right d) Why is the family so keen to get to the UK? e) Why is the family so keen to be separated?

Sorry but just another bunch of economic migrants using children to pull on the heart strings of the soft liberal westerners. No sale

And the bloke is a tw@t
Old 10 January 2016, 09:58 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree

If he wanted the girl to be safe, leave her in the first safe country they got to
Old 11 January 2016, 01:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

She was already in France.....

Am I wrong, or did I read it that he was helping migrants that are camping out in Calais aka "the Jungle" So all he was doing was smuggling her from Calais to UK; he wasn't smuggling people out of Afghanistan/Syria etc.

Not that I approve, but I do think that authorities should look into if the girl could be repatriated with family in the UK. Although that's assuming they are in the UK legally.
Old 11 January 2016, 06:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
She was already in France.....

Am I wrong, or did I read it that he was helping migrants that are camping out in Calais aka "the Jungle" So all he was doing was smuggling her from Calais to UK; he wasn't smuggling people out of Afghanistan/Syria etc.

Not that I approve, but I do think that authorities should look into if the girl could be repatriated with family in the UK. Although that's assuming they are in the UK legally.

See, the article says (as spoken by him to the Sky news):

After declining numerous requests by her father to take her to close family in Leeds, he finally agreed.

He said: "The conditions at the camp were horrendous and I knew she shouldn’t be living like that.

"Morally and compassionately I was getting this little girl out of severe danger to a family that could love her, pay for her, educate her."

So, perhaps the camp conditions were drastic in The Jungle, with the sure shot reverse kick possibility to Afganistan.

Where the charity worker went too soft was:

He said her father placed her in a sleeping compartment at the top of his van and they set off for the border where he was stopped and arrested by French police.

He could have either hidden her better (I'm joking. Don't bite my head off, anyone!) or transported her out lawfully, if poss. It might have taken 30 yrs., mind. Anyway.

So now, what has he got to show for?:

Since his arrest, Lawrie said his life has fallen apart and he feels "numb".

He has separated from his wife, lost his job and three stone in weight, lives alone and is financially bankrupt.

The guy is to plead guilty and take it on the chin. He says that 5 yrs jail in Europe in better than the horrendous conditions he was trying to rescue the child from.

I'm not sure how he can be classed as a 2wot. Daft ok, but 2wot? Not sure.
Old 14 January 2016, 05:32 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Well, the 2wot (so called by some) has avoided jail......

http://news.sky.com/story/1622799/ai...o-smuggle-girl

I'm glad for him tbh.
Old 14 January 2016, 09:56 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lucky b'stard

He did the crime, he should serve the time!

How many people are going to try this if they can get away with it?

They should have made an example of him!