Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

National Lottery

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2016, 04:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face National Lottery

Anyone else notice how obviously more difficult it is to win these days since they added more numbers??

Very rare I even get a number these days. Think that must be for most people, as the jackpot tonight is £50M

Was much better when you had a better chance (although be it very very slim) that you may win £2-6m. Then if you wanted to chance £20m+, you'd play the Euro. Now it seems the Euro is actually easier to win !!!

Bonkers...... why change it to make sure less people win, only for one colossal Jackpot once every few months????

Think I may stop playing all together now.

That raffle things sh!te too.....
Old 02 January 2016, 05:00 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, agreed - its a much more difficult to win now
Old 02 January 2016, 05:18 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Their is no value whatsoever in playing it now, it was hard to win to start with, since they have added even more numbers it's even harder to win. Also it used to be £1 per line, they then changed that to £2 per line. The prizes generally are really poor given how hard it is to match enough numbers to win anything, unless you are roughly 1 in 55 million and are lucky enough to match all 6 numbers then the rest of the prizes won't be life changing.

As an example, these were the prizes for the last draw.

6 numbers: No matches
5 Numbers + bonus ball: No matches
5 Numbers: £1, 540 (Yes £1500 for matching 5 numbers lol)
4 Numbers: £143 lol
3 numbers: £25
2 numbers: A free lucky dip to win a further sod all

At £2 a line those prizes are a joke given how hard it is to match 3 numbers never mind 4, 5 or 6 numbers.

It's basically screwing everyone for as much money as they can get without giving much back, an independent body needs to look at it, doesn't the lottery come up for tender ? How long have Camelot had it for ?
Old 02 January 2016, 05:23 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Completely agree, it's just a rip-off and borderline impossible to win with the extra numbers. I still do the Euro Millions when I remember to, but gave up with the normal draw a long time ago. Camelot got greedy(er).
Old 02 January 2016, 06:10 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Have never played the lottery as am not a gambling man, but remember this back in 2000 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/1078341.stm am sure that Branson wanted to run it as a 'non-profit' option.

Also remember thinking at the time that having the same numbers for the midweek draw was bad as people would have felt compelled to play as their numbers are personal, birthdays etc.

As stated, I don't play, but seems like there are loads of options now, which I don't agree with, does anyone know what the return rate is, am sure it will be in the public domain somewhere, just can't be bothered to look?
Old 02 January 2016, 06:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are we all aware that government sold the rights to the lottery to a Canadian company, who use the profits to prop up Canadian pensions.

It's not like WE needed help with any of OUR pension pots, is it?????
Old 02 January 2016, 07:35 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol any lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths
Old 02 January 2016, 07:40 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Stilover you dont need to do the lottery, your living the lottery winners life anyway
Old 02 January 2016, 07:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH I lost ll interest in it when it went to twice a week as that decreased the odds on winning as you had to pay twice as much for the same odds.

It's all a scam anyway, they know which ***** they want to come out based upon the tickets sold and the numbers used, easy to control too, just like fruit machines.
Old 02 January 2016, 10:01 PM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

Agree with you there, odds of winning were bad, so much worse now.
I've run a works syndicate since it started and 2015 has been the worst year ever.

cannot see us continuing as things are now, maybe swap over to the euro as a syndicate instead or just call it a day and put a few quid on down at the bookies every week.
Old 02 January 2016, 10:23 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Odds of winning were always bad, now they just a little worse, so in that respect nothing has raelly changed, has it?

You either win or you don't, but sooner or later someone does, so you are either a 'why not me' or a 'no one like me wins'.

As said before I dont do it, but the changes would not stop me if I did, siht me, you can't earn anything investing it at the moment so if it give you some hope carry on, or give it to charity and feel a little better without the hope but the warm feeling of almost giving hope to someone else.

But not cats
Old 02 January 2016, 10:46 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

If you really want to gamble then stick with matched betting. At least you're going to get something back!
Old 03 January 2016, 12:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I stopped doing the lottery when NOT ONE SINGLE number of my choice was in either draw for thirteen weeks consecutive.

The chances of that were about the same as winning, so I gave up.
Old 03 January 2016, 12:51 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I do the lottery for that dream of winning like everyone else, im not bothered about the odds stacked against me and very rare do I win anything, but for £4 a week(wed&sat) I dont smoke or drink £4 is pretty much healthier then the other 2 options and its the only thing I gamble on!!!

I usually do my lotto online, and if I have won I get a e-mail saying to log into my account as they have news of my ticket, by the time Ive clicked off the e-mail and gone onto my account those few mins I dream of what I would spend the big millions jackpot on and its worth the £2 just for those few mins!! But once clicked on its usually £5 or something!!
Old 03 January 2016, 01:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Are we all aware that government sold the rights to the lottery to a Canadian company, who use the profits to prop up Canadian pensions.

so youre saying the 28 % rather than the 0.5 % goes to canada
Old 03 January 2016, 01:13 PM
The Joshua Tree
Scooby Regular

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I won 2 lucky dips on the Lottery last night, i'm not sure whether to go public with my win or stay anonymous. What do you reckon ? I guess i've already gone public by posting my win on here, oh well i guess this will be the start of the begging letters and everyone wanted to be my friend.
Old 03 January 2016, 01:21 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

spot on it is now owned by a canadian teachers pension fund ask yourselves why would a pension fund want to own a non profit making organization ?
Old 03 January 2016, 01:39 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby.Newbie
Odds of winning were always bad, now they just a little worse, so in that respect nothing has raelly changed, has it?
1 in 14m and now 1 in 45m the odds have just gone up a little bit,Yeah right!Its a mugs game,Simples.SJ.
Old 03 January 2016, 01:40 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8588321.stm.SJ.
Old 07 January 2016, 08:10 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interestingly when they made the recent changes the lottery website proudly stated "now more numbers to choose from" and not "now even less chance of winning"
Old 07 January 2016, 09:12 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol, I did not know that

It is actually quite difficult to find any UK infrastructure that UK PLC does own

Most seem to be owned by Foriegn (ironically) State run companies

I was only talking to some the other day who seemed genuinely surprised when they realised what EDF energy stood for

Interesting take on things

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...atisation-scam

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...s-9874048.html

Anyway on topic - the lottery was always a tax on the stupid
Old 07 January 2016, 09:43 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

An even bigger prize fund this time and wasn't won,but the 128 people who were just one number off got just over a whopping £1200!!
And since they added another 10 numbers to the lottery they've made it more appealing,yes now for hitting two numbers we get a free lucky dip for the next draw ffs!!!
So 3.5 million was won in free lucky dips!
Stats say that we've more chance of walking up to a stranger in the street and guessing their phone number than winning the jackpot