Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

(Non) fitting of insurance black box

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2015, 11:16 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default (Non) fitting of insurance black box

My mates son had some bod from halfords come out to fit a black box to his car for his insurance, said he could not fit the black box because the car had been modified. It is an MG ZR 1.4 (104 bhp I think) and had a non standard air filter and rear box fitted. The guy from halfords tried claiming that the car now produced 280bhp!!! He phoned the insurance company and they then told my mates son that they wouldn't insure him.

Yesterday, another bloke came out to fit a black box for him on behalf of another insurance company. Having put the car back to standard this should have been straight forward. No, the black box could not be fitted, this time because the car had a non standard black petrol cap instead of the original
Old 24 December 2015, 11:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Crazy? yes.

but where DO they draw the line? I remember my eldest having to search for insurers who would accept him after he changed the wheels on his Ibiza 1.4 for 17's. And it was BOUGHT with the 17's on.

But his then insurers declined and we had to start searching again.

Insurance is a bit of a scam, but they make the rules, not us.
Old 24 December 2015, 11:30 AM
t1gger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some one in work had one fitted a few weeks ago.whilst he was fitting it we was joking with him .once he had done it he said make sure I've been gone a while before you turn it off .so this must be a common thing people do
Old 24 December 2015, 11:54 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my daughter has one fitted - on a Peugeot 306 (X Reg)

through Tesco's insurance

the guy came as promised (on a Saturday morning) and it took 10 mins to fit, he did say that the car was about the oldest that they fit black boxes too

but I think it is a good idea tbh, for young drivers

it has a portal that you can check how you are driving / mile you have done and earn bonus miles
Old 24 December 2015, 12:10 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Absolute crazy insurance nowadays
It must be getting worse every year.
My son is 21 in febuary and has a better collection than me
He has a 30k vw camper completely renovated , a 1969 mustang and a 12 month old octavia vrs on lease....no insurance problems with the above but tried to insure a vw caddy van and no one will touch him under 21
Old 24 December 2015, 03:38 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
my daughter has one fitted - on a Peugeot 306 (X Reg)

through Tesco's insurance

the guy came as promised (on a Saturday morning) and it took 10 mins to fit, he did say that the car was about the oldest that they fit black boxes too

but I think it is a good idea tbh, for young drivers

it has a portal that you can check how you are driving / mile you have done and earn bonus miles
Bonus miles, is that where they come out and add miles to your clock, sort of the opposite to the old days of clocking a motor....
Old 24 December 2015, 03:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My mate has told his daughter, who passed her test a year ago, that there's one on her car.
There isn't.
Old 24 December 2015, 05:31 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It's easy to have a pop at insurers, but there are reasons behind their madness.

The insurers we use aren't interested in insuring under 21 year olds, regardless of how much they are willing to pay, as in the past they've had their fingers burnt badly with the amount of claims.

One of the biggest insurers in the UK has recently stopped insuring under 25 year olds.... again because of claims.

My friends son is a prime example.
Set up a policy with a box in the car.
Passed his test at 2.30 pm on a Friday. On the Saturday morning my friend received a phone call from the insurers cancelling the policy.
At 11pm on the Friday night, so after only 8 and a half hours of driving, they caught him doing 74mph in a 30mph limit.

The youngsters were given a chance..... they blew it.
Old 24 December 2015, 06:19 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by donny andi
Absolute crazy insurance nowadays
It must be getting worse every year.
My son is 21 in febuary and has a better collection than me
He has a 30k vw camper completely renovated , a 1969 mustang and a 12 month old octavia vrs on lease....no insurance problems with the above but tried to insure a vw caddy van and no one will touch him under 21

Holy cow!!! I assume he is a footballer or pop star.How did he get that lot before getting to 21?
Old 24 December 2015, 06:23 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally hit 25 years old in August so I'm looking to see how much my insurance will come down in price now that I've passed that "magical insurance age". Saying that, it's probably wishful thinking and my price will still be the same .
Old 24 December 2015, 06:24 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My son has one but it just plugs into cig lighter and insurance take it back after 3 months
Old 24 December 2015, 06:27 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Insurance is a joke im 40 now with full no claims and pay more than i did when i was 17 and had an rs turbo as my first car, and it goes up every year with some tatt excuse its now beyond a joke!
Old 24 December 2015, 06:39 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
My mate has told his daughter, who passed her test a year ago, that there's one on her car.
There isn't.
Brilliant
Old 24 December 2015, 07:40 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Holy cow!!! I assume he is a footballer or pop star.How did he get that lot before getting to 21?
His step dad has a huuuge property portfolio , and my lad certainly knows what he wants out of life
Old 24 December 2015, 08:01 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

They serve a purpose for some. I didn't have one fitted to my daughter's car. With careful selection you can get an equally cheap premium.

A story where the black box worked well was my mates son had one fitted to his first car. The son is a bit of a k ***. One night he went speeding down this country lane at 88 mph. The next day the insurance phone him, he was told his policy was cancelled there and then. He had to pay a penalty for the infringement and the box removing. His insurance went from £1800 for the first year to over £4k when at last he was able to get insurance. So beware if you have a black box and drive carefully!
Old 24 December 2015, 08:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97
They serve a purpose for some. I didn't have one fitted to my daughter's car. With careful selection you can get an equally cheap premium.

A story where the black box worked well was my mates son had one fitted to his first car. The son is a bit of a k ***. One night he went speeding down this country lane at 88 mph. The next day the insurance phone him, he was told his policy was cancelled there and then. He had to pay a penalty for the infringement and the box removing. His insurance went from £1800 for the first year to over £4k when at last he was able to get insurance. So beware if you have a black box and drive carefully!
lol, when I drive my daughters car (with her as a passenger) I get a fvcking earful if I so much as go 2MPH over the limit

and we did get a call from the insurance company to ask if there had been an accident - It was a false alarm, but they do alert the police if the telemetry looks like there has been an accident

so I actually don't see it as a negative tbh

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 24 December 2015 at 08:38 PM.