Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

upvc front door lock jammed

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2015, 03:25 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default upvc front door lock jammed

Somehow between me on the inside and girlfriend's offspring on the outside we've managed to jamb it completely it would seem .
The key sounds like it's locking/unlocking but the handle which must be held, up, to unlock ( they didn't realise this) is now doing nothing .
Is this a hundred quid to get someone in to free it all up ?
( the hinges don't look very get at able)
Old 11 December 2015, 06:30 AM
TylerD529
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Door mechanism is a little gearbox type affair that slides a rod up and a rod down the side of the door the handle is on to move the other catches into position and allow the door to lock.
Sound like it's the mechanism in the door that's away - can get them for £20-£30 depending on the dimensions of the door.
Could even be one of the rods that move up or down that have came off and that'll also hold the door in place - more likely to be the mechanism though as they tend to be cast parts inside and not particularly strong when pulled in a way they are not meant to!
You should be able to undo the hinges from the inside and move the door away from the frame - would be worth measuring up and ordering the mechanism before taking the door off so you can put it all back together working though.
Old 11 December 2015, 08:29 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

As above
Also try lifting the door a little bit (hand in letterbox), it could be the door that has dropped a fraction and the locking rollers are still slightly on the keep (frame).
They are a pain in the **** if not fitted correctly and do not like being slammed shut .
Let us know how you get on ....it could be a number of things but most are easy to sort once it's open
Old 11 December 2015, 08:33 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Just re read it ..... If the handle isn't doing anything take it off and have a look at the bar , if all else fails stick a big screwdriver in to operate the part where the bar goes through
Old 11 December 2015, 08:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Thanks

I took handle off and applied adjustable, but it's not turning .
Old 11 December 2015, 09:19 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i had issues with my UPVC doors i changed the Barrels for Bump and snap that cured most of the problematic key turning, Hoverer if its the locking mech then chck that the door isn't out of alignment, IE if the doors open can you up the handle and the bolts shoot in ?

The whole strip isn't mega expensive for the edge of the door but the mech inside may be

Good Luck
Old 11 December 2015, 12:39 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Thanks

I took handle off and applied adjustable, but it's not turning .
The bar won't move ? , if the bar will only move upwards (anti-clockwise) and won't twist down (clock wise) either the mechanism is jammed up or the lock barrel isn't unlocking .
Spray wd40 into it and forceably keep snapping the handle to the up position , at the same time keep trying the key in the lock.
If all of the above fails .....kick the **** out of it and go sit at the pub
Old 11 December 2015, 05:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Joys of UPVC locks... G/friend left a key on the inside, then went out with another set of keys - she then couldn't open door from inside.

Had to cycle home this afternoon and fortunately we have a ladder and there was a window I managed to force open & climb through...
Old 11 December 2015, 05:42 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Had so thing similar the daughter was trying to open door and a set in the back the lock went out off sync, I sorted this by filling the end off a spare key and turning outsid key and inside still and vice versa managed to sort it, no issues since but stopped leaving keys on the inside lock .
Old 11 December 2015, 07:06 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Must be common issue, I have the same problem in my conservatory, have a double set of doors and then a single door on one side.

The single door the key turns and you can hear hat sounds like it locking and unlocking, the handle goes up but will not go down to open it.

My first job was for a UPVC double glazing company in Basildon, but worked in the office, so will be leaving it til the weather gets better next year to beat the life out of it
Old 11 December 2015, 09:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

In my experience, UPVC locks are generally bad performing ones. The front double doors at work scream for WD40 on daily basis, which they do not get. The home front door lock acts strange as well. You can turn the key inside its key hole 360 degree, but it remains locked. Then you have to faff about with the handle to unlock the barstward! It's a pain when it's cold outside. All you want to do is get inside the house and be warm. Not faff about outside and battle with your front door lock!
Old 11 December 2015, 09:42 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I decided give it good yank clockwise / anticlockwise with spanner and thankfully it let go

spray greased it all now
Old 12 December 2015, 06:27 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I decided give it good yank clockwise / anticlockwise with spanner and thankfully it let go

spray greased it all now
Normally works
Make sure it's opening/closing easy , it could want adjusting a little on the hinge side ....piece of cake to do its just Allen keys required on hinge side
Old 12 December 2015, 07:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

this one has hinges with allan key bolts yes

but then there's grubscrews securing these - which are not possibly to get at when door is closed !