Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sugar

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2015, 10:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sugar

So this is the latest evil , supplying no benefit to body whatsoever moreover its destroying is from within

We've all got to indulge in sweetness derived from herb grown in the far distant universe if we're to stay healthy

Why don't they just slap some tax on it instead of relying on supermarkets to pass on their wealth to their employees

Last edited by dpb; 17 July 2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:06 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

One in my tea,one in my coffee

Love the stuff!
Old 17 July 2015, 11:12 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

More addictive than Heroin or so they reckon.

You never see the fruit and veg on half price at supermnarkets but the chocs and biscuits are always discounted.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sugar has been classed as class B poison for a long time in West. Even then, people don't listen! Teeth rotting at young age is a common problem, so is diabetes at older age. Not that I'm putting these probs solely on excessive sugar intake, but it does have some bearing of the blame.

I heard that they suggest us to intake no more than 7 teaspoons full sugar a day. I think this is quite a generous allowance, considering sugar's bad reputation.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Aldi and therefore the rest have been doing 5 fruit/ veg deals forever.

Haven't tried heroin but I can do without sugar

Last edited by dpb; 17 July 2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Sugar has been classed as class B poison for a long time in West. Even then, people don't listen! Teeth rotting at young age is a common problem, so is diabetes at older age. Not that I'm putting these probs solely on excessive sugar intake, but it does have some bearing of the blame.

I heard that they suggest us to intake no more than 7 teaspoons full sugar a day. I think this is quite a generous allowance, considering sugar's bad reputation.
Surely everything is poison to some extent , unless you work it out your system
Old 17 July 2015, 11:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
More addictive than Heroin or so they reckon.

You never see the fruit and veg on half price at supermnarkets but the chocs and biscuits are always discounted.
I used to think that people over-indulge in sugary and fatty foods in third world only, but after seeing sugary foods getting sold here like hot cakes (pun was impossible), I now believe that sugar has that special effect on all humans, not just on third worldians.

I think they can't sell past 'use by' fruits and veg at reduced price, as no one would want a soggy Apple, though they do try. But if they over-produce sweets, biscuits and cakes etc., they can get away with selling them for longer after they BB date for less cost because they know people will snap them like hot cakes! (Again, impossible)
Old 17 July 2015, 11:27 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Obiceity in the UK is not caused by sugar it caused by sheer animal greed. Not much sugar in crisps chip maccy ds, you eat more than your calorie intake by day and don't exorcise or burn it off you will gain weight fact. Fruit is full of natural sugar they going to tax pineapples ?.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:31 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I used to think that people over-indulge in sugary and fatty foods in third world only, but after seeing sugary foods getting sold here like hot cakes (pun was impossible), I now believe that sugar has that special effect on all humans, not just on third worldians.

I think they can't sell past 'use by' fruits and veg at reduced price, as no one would want a soggy Apple, though they do try. But if they over-produce sweets, biscuits and cakes etc., they can get away with selling them for longer after they BB date for less cost because they know people will snap them like hot cakes! (Again, impossible)
Are you counting Americas as third world
Old 17 July 2015, 11:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Surely everything is poison to some extent , unless you work it out your system

Yes, we know that. It's just that some things are found to be more poisonous than others, in excess. I've even heard of people dying of excessive H2O intake, but say five-six pints of H2O a day (which many don't consume unless scorching out there) won't kill you. Instead it will keep you hydrated. Whereas five table spoons full of sugar can potentially raise your chances to get very ill one day.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Are you counting Americas as third world

No, I was talking about the third world. If you look it up, you'll find that America doesn't qualify for that category, although they eat too many duffnuts there in States.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

About sugar intake and teeth rotting, I bet most of you here have had st least one tooth out by the age of 25. To be honest, I had my wisdom tooth out at 21, I think. First time ever for a tooth extraction or any dental treatment of that sort for me, that was. I nearly took my dentist's arm off! But then again, we eat too many sweets there, which doesn't help. Now I know that people eat too many sweets here as well, so hey, this is a world wide problem. <shrugs>

My mother at 75 has all her teeth intact, despite all those sweets she has eaten in her life time.

Last edited by Turbohot; 17 July 2015 at 11:48 PM.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They may indulge in what they've previously not had access to , especially true of those coming to wealthier countries.
Its the in inbuilt sugar content in day to day stuff that's wrong.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

About sugar intake and teeth rotting, I bet most of you here have had st least one tooth out by the age of 25. To be honest, I had my wisdom tooth out at 21, I think. First time ever for a tooth extraction or any dental treatment of that sort for me, that was. I nearly took my dentist's arm off! But then again, we eat too many sweets there, which doesn't help. Now I know that people eat too many sweets here as well, so hey, this is a world wide problem. <shrugs>

My mother at 75 has all her teeth intact, despite all those sweets she has eaten in her life time.
And yes. That explains a lot about me!

Man, I can't sleep tonight. Schools are shut in here from today on, for summer. I feel really relaxed as my workload will be a bit less for next six weeks. I'm just so relaxed that I can't go to sleep! So, I'm just faffing about here for sod all! I should put the iPad down now.
Old 17 July 2015, 11:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Still have all wisdom teeth , but others not great possibly from sweets ...or genes
Old 18 July 2015, 12:12 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
They may indulge in what they've previously not had access to , especially true of those coming to wealthier countries.
I don't find any relevance of this to the progression of the discussion. To my understanding, we're talking sugar here. What I pointed out was that sugar has been known as devil's potion in the Western world for ages, nothing that new, and yet people here (I meant the original peeps, not migrants) seem to over-indulge in sweets like they've never eaten them before. You're taking the subject to the migrants, and saying that they would get indulged in what?? I don't get it. You mean Yorkshire puddings, beef burgers etc.? Well, I, a migrant, am not hugely tempted to them either. May be your African girlfriend is. Mind you, I've had 3 lots of fish & chips (that I'm not so keen on) this summer already, so you may have a point.

Its the in inbuilt sugar content in day to day stuff that's wrong.
Oh, certainly! But if we know that most usual foods already contain ample natural sugar e.g. fruits etc., then isn't it sensible to control the intake otherwise? And yes, I agree that some put-together foods and cooking materials have hidden sugar amounts, and that can't be right.
Old 18 July 2015, 12:21 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Still have all wisdom teeth , but others not great possibly from sweets ...or genes

Sure, as I say, sugar isn't the sole cause for tooth decay but it does corrode your teeth. If you still have all your wisdom teeth intact, then try sleeping with a hard sugar sweet in your mouth. You will be needing a dentist to pull his arm off in coming year or so! That's not what I did, around my 21st. But I'm just saying that you can always do an experiment on your own teeth. Make sure you buy the sweets with no colour, no milk and no flavour. Just sugar one. Otherwise you'll come back to argue that it could have been all those ingredients that corroded your pearly teeth, not the sugar in your sweets
Old 18 July 2015, 12:22 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You're taking the natural sugar e.g. fruits etc., then isn't it sensible to control the intake otherwise?.
Naturally occurring sugers in fruit / vegetables is not really the problem

Is is the refined suger in all manner of crap food

Take a cheap loaf of bread and look at the suger content
Old 18 July 2015, 12:31 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Naturally occurring sugers in fruit / vegetables is not really the problem

Is is the refined suger in all manner of crap food

Take a cheap loaf of bread and look at the suger content

Oh, sure about the bread loaf etc. but say pineapple and cherries, right. They still have sugar in them, may it be 'in built' (copyright dpb ) natural one, but you should still watch it. Not just for sugar's sake, but also the acids in fruits that can be too much for your teeth to handle.

Basically, eat loads of fruit but always brush your teeth before bed and in the morning. Other then that, when we know that fruit and veg can provide us with good sugar, we shouldn't be too greedy to scoffle sweets/sweet snacks in excess. It's common sense, thanks to science.
Old 18 July 2015, 07:34 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

We sucked on sugar cane bought from roadside vendors when we were in zambia

No doubt government here would slap a ban on such over indulgence

I think there's some added dimension , involving beating ourselves up for the wealth this country's derived from the trade
Old 18 July 2015, 07:41 AM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

I stopped putting sugar in my tea & coffee and was surprised it only took about a week to adjust. I also cut out eating any form of packet sweets etc...
What is noticable now is, if i have anything like ice-cream or cake when we are out, i feel like utter ****. I thinks its shown how conditioned we are to having **** loads of sugar in our diet. It doesnt actually take long for the body to re-adjust though.
Old 18 July 2015, 07:50 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well i guess it depends how much you were on before, but changing these types habits isn't liable to be life altering - you'll just miss out

I sometimes have suger in tea sometimes i don't, depending on how hot it is . Never had it in instant coffee - that's just horrible.

If the girlfriend bakes a cake though - Im not going to throw my slice in the bin cos the governments told me it's bad for me.
Old 18 July 2015, 08:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd rather sugar than aspartame, which is classed as a carginogen in quite a few states of the USA
Old 18 July 2015, 08:49 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Well it tastes vile
Old 18 July 2015, 09:42 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'd rather sugar than aspartame, which is classed as a carginogen in quite a few states of the USA

Aspartame was warned against here on SN a while ago when the original poster of the thread faced some strong opposition for it:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...poisoning.html
Old 18 July 2015, 09:53 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
nature knows best, generally

and one reason I still use/eat butter - Margarine (and all the variants are revolting, just congealed fat with added colouring0
Old 18 July 2015, 03:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I wasn't aware of just how much sugar was put into fruit drinks until I started investigating when kids were small and just grabbing fruit juice from the fridge. But it is often a dozen or more spoons per bottle which is easily drunk in a day.

A big step would be for supermarkets/manufacturers to have a large bright label on bottles saying how many spoons of sugar had been added. Trying to read the small print with sugar content is tricky.

I had a friend from Nigeria visit some while back and we had some take-away chicken pieces. I left the bones - he didn't. Now that's what I call a good set of teeth!

dl
Old 18 July 2015, 03:36 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ha !

I was told same thing by girlfriend who has worked alongside Nigerian female carer recently . They also put all the meat and sea food into the same dish ~ with stupid quantities chili
The jalopy rice she gave us in a lunchbox was just too much for me
Old 18 July 2015, 05:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
nature knows best, generally

and one reason I still use/eat butter - Margarine (and all the variants are revolting, just congealed fat with added colouring0
Margerine/spreads?

Yep, utter cr@p. Try leaving a tub open in the garage, mice won't eat it, hell even BACTERIA won't touch it!!!!

Used to be a company, Bertolli I believe, telling us how good their olive oil spread was....NOW they have had to add butter.......
Old 18 July 2015, 06:46 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Has anyone ever looked at the ingredients list on the labels of tins? Never mind the amount in sweets , its in every processed food