Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House Break in No2.....

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2015, 02:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down House Break in No2.....

...11 months later after the original break in: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-gone-but.html

Of which the insurance rejected the claims (discussion removed as its being reviewed by the ombudsman - I'll post up the outcome and restore the relevant info when its sorted).

So out of pocket to a hefty tune. I get a call saying the alarm is going off just as I was finishing up at work.

Race back (not that fast - rush hour traffic ), to find my meter box open...they pulled the main use and chucked it. It never occurred to me hour vulnerable outdoor electric meters are. Well I'm aware now.

They had a good bash at trying to disable the alarm by ripping wires from the bellbox, Luckily they were supply wires to the secondary siren, so the main siren was unaffected.

After ripping the handle off the shed door (padlocked with a coach-bolted big hasp and keep), they tried prying my lovely new Aluminum door to the kitchen/extension ruining it, They also tried prying at least open two brand new aluminum windows (edit: Since found they tried prying and damaged further windows) on the back again ruining the frames. They finally settle on using a garden ornament to smash through the wooden side door to the internal garage and crawled through the 1 ft gap they made and then smashed the fire-door which divide the garage to the kitchen which was locked top middle and bottom. They then were met with ANOTHER solid hardwood door dividing the kitchen between the rest of the house....also locked top middle and bottom (I've think I've mentioned before I live in fort knox ).

Nothing taken this time...But I just feel like putting sticker on every window saying burgled 2 times in one year...insurance have not paid...so **** off.

I didn't have CCTV...work in progress still.....but if I had, it wouldn't have had a battery backup. Looking at the alarm logs they spent half an hour loitering round the property after killing the power before getting inside. So looks like I'm going to need a UPS to run the internet and CCTV if I'm going ahead with this plan < sigh >

Credit to plod...turned up SWAT style in five mins after being handed over to the correct handler....8mins was wasted by 999 operators who kept putting me through to the wrong force and cutting me off.

Also props to Western power...turned up in 30mins to replace the main fuse

Anyhoo....lets see what the insurers say on this one....Yes I'm still insured with teh same bunch; policy hadn't expired yet.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 June 2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11 June 2015, 02:16 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap. I think I'd move house.
Old 11 June 2015, 02:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What are they after ?!

Sorry to hear that
Old 11 June 2015, 02:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Jeez, if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck
Old 11 June 2015, 03:24 PM
New_scooby_04

Sorry to hear that mate: Is there something you're doing to attract the attention of the scum: Gold plated gates in the drive ...... Sticker for membership of the Rolex owners club in the window?

I opted for a monitored alarm system with live video feed (in the event the alarm is triggered) in my house. If anyone should get it they'll be a) deaf lol b) on candy Camera!

Each year I wonder if the £200 subscription (don't go for any policy where you don't own the hardware) is a good investment, but then I read a story like this!

Hope the insurance company pays up eventually!

Best

Paul
Old 11 June 2015, 05:16 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks mate.

Maybe get a big dog and keep it hungry!
Old 11 June 2015, 11:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I'm lucky (ahem) in the respect they didn't manage to take anything so no idea what they were after this time(no flashy cars on the drive). But this time they did more costly damage in trying.

The house is a obvious target from the front...it looks nice, frontage sheltered by a huge tree the council won't let me prune (TPO order and consent for pruning rejected ), no immediately overlooking neighbors and there's a bridal path giving multiple escape routes with a nice lay-by at the end for the getaway car, so it was always going to be an inviting target: if you ignore the security grills on most of the windows. The plain 1960's box I used to live in certainly attracted less trouble, which I put down to it being a much more open/overlooked area with all the neighbors on all four side being retired and in their house most of the time, that and there being "posher" areas down the road for richer pickings.

Had the window guy round earlier and he noticed they also tried to lever open the bi-fold door...denting and chipping the frames.....So far to bring it back "as before" condition it a load of window frames, three doors and at least two sections of bi-fold. Unless dent-master can pop-out creases in aluminum frames.

Need to get the electric meter/main fuse better secured. I can get it moved to inside the garage (same wall) or stick a hinged steel box over the current flimsy plastic door which will stop them cutting the power. With that in mind I need to better secure the broadband and phone lines.

I think the next step is making sure that I know if someone is messing on the driveway whilst I'm away, and stopping them getting round the back; Easier said than done, well, doing it all neatly at least.

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 June 2015 at 09:29 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2015, 11:57 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sounds like you need a big dog in your life, as you know I live way out in the sticks with some dodgy gypsies always on the prowl, they all know there's a big dog with attitude here now and stay well clear, not seen a gypo down here for 2 and a half years now, last dodgy looking Bosnian lumber jack that came by on horse back a month or so back shat himself when he saw my Cane Corso foaming at the mouth being held back by me, everyone round here knows there's a well trained big *** bad attituded monster on my hill, even a couple of local dogs that gave him sh*t when he was a pup don't show their faces since I let him loose to get his own back, he's King of the hill.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 12 June 2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12 June 2015, 12:08 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your shít news, Ali. Let's hope the scum die a slow death!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Need to get the electric meter/main fuse better secured. I can get it moved to inside the garage (same wall) or stick a hinged steel box over the current flimsy plastic door which will stop them cutting the power. With that in mind I need to better secure the broadband and phone lines.
i have mine locked in a box, not that they'd get that far.

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I think the next step is making sure that I know if someone is messing on the driveway whilst I'm away, and stopping them getting round the back; Easier said than done, well, doing it all neatly at least.
You know this is all possible depending on how much you want to spend. I have PIRs around the grounds that email me on trigger via outputs on my DVR which additionally trigger my cameras to turn and zoom in to the problem zone. I can immediately check my phone and view the scene. If there is a reason to be concerned I can trigger my siren from my phone which is louder than anything available on the market. In the meantime I will be heading home.

I've never had any trouble where I am but it is relatively remote and so I prefer to think I've done what I can.
Old 12 June 2015, 07:01 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd agree with the big dog comment.
Old 12 June 2015, 07:47 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I don't think its humane for me to have a dog just so he's stuck in the house all day while I'm at work; the boredom and isolation alone can cause them to have many issues.

Rolly (fuzzy little yappy thing who likes German shepherds and thinks he is one ) is currently with my mums partner (retired). And when I have him he's alway with me as I take him to work.

Long long time ago we used to have Dobermans and when I started work it broke my heart having to leave Max all day on his own and he did suffer, I used to be able to pop back from college and school over lunch and free periods so he was alone for 3 hours max.

These days these days that would be stuck penned in for 10 hours every day - that's no fair way to treat a dog. I know people who do it but I don't agree with it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 June 2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12 June 2015, 07:56 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get 2 then they keep each other company.
Old 12 June 2015, 07:57 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about your break-in what's next? I've got a 3 month old working line German Shepherd and he's already letting off a few really deep "gruffs" when he hears strange noises or knocking at the door .
Old 12 June 2015, 08:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Pork chop through the letter box laced with something
Old 12 June 2015, 09:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Or does that only happen in the movies
Old 12 June 2015, 10:01 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

That would be a horrible thing to do but it doesn't surprise me. Is there any recorded news cases of a burglar doing that? He does stay in the garden with a cays locked gate but I guess that doesn't stop them from throwing something over the fence. You'd have to be extremely desperate to kill a dog to rob a house though!! Although I expect that 99% of criminals do not go around with posioned meat in their tool bag....

Last edited by LSherratt; 12 June 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12 June 2015, 10:14 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Get a cat to check the meat first.
Old 12 June 2015, 10:35 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Pork chop through the letter box laced with something
Then of course there are levels of dog security much like levels of security hardware. A decent protection dog can be trained to refuse food except from its owner. At the end of the day it is all about how serious you take the word security and how much you're willing to spend for said security.
Old 12 June 2015, 01:09 PM
New_scooby_04

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.u...FSPItAodc3wAgQ

One of these on any access points to the house should do it!
Old 12 June 2015, 01:31 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I've got to ask, roughly what part of the country was this in?
Old 12 June 2015, 01:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

probably be sued for breaching the burglars human rights ...
Old 12 June 2015, 01:37 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about that Ali.

I'm upgrading some of my alarm system and was thinking about wireless bump sensors on all rear windows and doors. The problem is I'd have to upgrade the main panel to make it compatible with wireless sensors, which will cost quite a bit.

In terms of what happened to you (and assuming your leccy meter was inside) do you think bump sensors would have helped?
Old 12 June 2015, 01:38 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

It's nice not having to worry about all that crime rubbish.

Except crimes of fashion committed daily on the beach and golf course.
Old 12 June 2015, 01:53 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

That's some serious lengths they're going to. What on earth do they think you have! I thought burglars were supposed to take the easy option unless they think they know something very good is in there and it's someone more serious.

Originally Posted by LSherratt
That would be a horrible thing to do but it doesn't surprise me. Is there any recorded news cases of a burglar doing that? He does stay in the garden with a cays locked gate but I guess that doesn't stop them from throwing something over the fence. You'd have to be extremely desperate to kill a dog to rob a house though!! Although I expect that 99% of criminals do not go around with posioned meat in their tool bag....

Happened to my grand parents' dog. Was totally zonked out when they arrived home to a burgled house.
Old 12 June 2015, 05:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

Pssst, I have one on my locked cupboard that houses the electricity meter primarily to confuse anyone
Old 12 June 2015, 06:10 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Sorry to hear about that Ali.

I'm upgrading some of my alarm system and was thinking about wireless bump sensors on all rear windows and doors. The problem is I'd have to upgrade the main panel to make it compatible with wireless sensors, which will cost quite a bit.

In terms of what happened to you (and assuming your leccy meter was inside) do you think bump sensors would have helped?
Ding, from how I read it, his alarm sounded and he was on the way home so nothing would have helped in Ali's scenario except advanced warning that ******* were on his property. Possibly he didn't get the phone call for some time which might have delayed things but whoever was there wasn't bothered about the alarm sounding and appeared to do a right number on the place.
Old 12 June 2015, 06:21 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
It's nice not having to worry about all that crime rubbish.

Except crimes of fashion committed daily on the beach and golf course.
It has been said before, in most cases there is no worry about crime at all. It doesn't stop people wanting to do what they can though.

I think you might be interested in seeing exactly what does go on in your area that you don't know of. https://www.police.uk
Old 12 June 2015, 06:26 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Then of course there are levels of dog security much like levels of security hardware. A decent protection dog can be trained to refuse food except from its owner. At the end of the day it is all about how serious you take the word security and how much you're willing to spend for said security.

What happens if the owner dies?
Old 12 June 2015, 08:29 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Originally Posted by Spoon
It has been said before, in most cases there is no worry about crime at all. It doesn't stop people wanting to do what they can though.

I think you might be interested in seeing exactly what does go on in your area that you don't know of. https://www.police.uk
Thanks for the link.
Old 12 June 2015, 10:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I came home to 4 guys fighting in my garden today, smashing the place up, ripped off my pipes to hit each other with.

Sadly for them I have CCTV and recorded their reg plate too. All four are currently in the nick.

Quick Reply: House Break in No2.....