Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Small Car Syndrome?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2015, 02:05 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Small Car Syndrome?

Driving down the A1 last night and I would admit to pressing on. Anyway, 52 plate Saxo joins ahead and I slow down. We pass some cars and he doesn't pull over even though it is very clear on inside lane. I give him a quick flash to let him know I want to pass and he starts to gesticulate. Whatever. Anyway by this time we'd come up on another car on the inside lane, so I wait until we pass then start to move up behind him at which point he starts accelerating. OK, we have a comedian I accelerate too and slip into the (clear inside lane). As he speeds up I notice that his front wheel arch has started to flap. Bit of traffic ahead we both slow down but once clear he starts accelerating again. Once again I follow in the inside lane. He goes faster and faster and eventually his wheel arch tears off and flies back down the road After that, he slows down and I pass him...

Dunno what all that was about but he obviously doesn't normally drive so fast and didn't want to get overtaken by a Range Rover Sport
Old 08 June 2015, 07:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience it's the big cars, like yours that have drivers who hate being overtaken.

They do anything to get back in front like it's a moral victory ..
Old 08 June 2015, 07:34 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
In my experience it's the big cars, like yours that have drivers who hate being overtaken.

They do anything to get back in front like it's a moral victory ..
More so if they are driving a German built motor.
Old 08 June 2015, 07:48 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does pressing on mean 90 + ...
Old 08 June 2015, 08:03 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Strange that, I was driving down the A1 the other night and some d1ck in a Range Rover comes flying up my **** flashing his lights at me to move over, I was about to move over when he started trying to undertake me and blocking me from doing so, then we're coming up on more traffic so I give it some gas to stop him from cutting me up and hopefully make some space between us as he was way too close, it was almost as though he was trying to run me off the road, I thought he was trying to kill me or something so was trying to escape, we ended up going so fast that the wind ripped my front wing off fortunately I managed to escape by moving over and slamming on my brakes at which point he went flying by.

Was a lucky escape, I felt really traumatised by the whole situation, sure are some crazy people out there.

Old 08 June 2015, 08:07 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of idiots on the road in both small and large cars from all manufacturers.
Though I do think drivers of people carriers are worse.
What is it that when some people get behind the wheel 1+ ton of metal everything changes ?

Richard
Old 08 June 2015, 08:13 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've seen a lot of bad driving in Range Rovers recently; they seem to be the angry mans wheels of choice at the moment.

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2015, 08:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Either that or diminutive chav housewife
Old 08 June 2015, 09:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I don't think there are any more bell ends in one type of car than another. The thing is with big cars is they are more imposing on the road so you tend to notice people being tools in them more than people being tools in a Fiesta or the likes.

Sadly the country has a large number of aggressive self righteous **** heads inhabiting it who as soon as they get behind the wheel (or on a bicycle these days) think they have more rights than the rest of us and that the rules of the road don't apply to them!
Old 08 June 2015, 10:34 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richs2891
Lots of idiots on the road in both small and large cars from all manufacturers.
Though I do think drivers of people carriers are worse.
What is it that when some people get behind the wheel 1+ ton of metal everything changes ?

Richard

Because some think they are the dogs b0ll0cks behind the wheel.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:43 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I give people plenty of time to choose to use the empty inside lane and when it becomes obvious they have no intention of moving I pass them on the inside. This is usually followed by flashing lights and the ****** sign from them?????
Old 08 June 2015, 10:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Worst for me are Renault Espace/people carrier drivers in France.

I've been "pressing on" on their motorways in the Scoob, passed one and within a MINUTE, he's up my tailpipe flashing, so I let him past.

Only when he's passed me doing about 110mph do I notice he's towing one of those tiny trailers with 10" wheels, and it's literally bouncing off the road......

Anything to show me that his "van with windows" is better than my Scoob....
Old 08 June 2015, 11:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

ah yes they love their mini people carriers the French , I got the impression they were racing each other , whilst I stuck to 70 on cruise and let em get on with it
Old 08 June 2015, 12:11 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I give people plenty of time to choose to use the empty inside lane and when it becomes obvious they have no intention of moving I pass them on the inside. This is usually followed by flashing lights and the ****** sign from them?????
You do realise that is considered to be dangerous driving and results in a minimum of a 1yr ban, no matter what speed you're doing.
Old 08 June 2015, 12:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Actually, it's not any more. if the guy won't move, overtake him on the inside.

So long as you don't change lanes and weave in and out, you'd be fine. Seen it on one of those Interceptor programmes.
Old 08 June 2015, 12:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
ah yes they love their mini people carriers the French , I got the impression they were racing each other , whilst I stuck to 70 on cruise and let em get on with it
they also seem to play some sort of "game" by hanging about behind a truck, then seeing how close the overtaking car can get before they indicate and pull out.

AND they LOVE to baulk you behind trucks etc, often hanging about 50 yds behind you as you come up on a truck, they are in the outside lane, when you look again to pull out to overtake, they are beside you.
It happens so often it's GOT to be deliberate.
Old 08 June 2015, 12:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Laughable how intensively people battle for the outside lane, big cars and small alike.

Inside lane tends to be nice and clear though, and that's where I sit, undertaking the whole lot of them. I've been doing this for years, even followed a police car a few times doing exactly the same thing.
Old 08 June 2015, 12:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I think that would be at the discretion of the officer who's filming you doing it.

I have to agree the standard of driving in Europe has gone down over the last 10yrs, it used to be a joy to get a move on in the days when everyone would see you coming and get out of the way, now it's almost as bad as the UK for lane hogging, even in Germany which used to be the best for observation and moving over has become a bit of a procession on all but the emptiest of motorways.
Old 08 June 2015, 12:56 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Laughable how intensively people battle for the outside lane, big cars and small alike.

Inside lane tends to be nice and clear though, and that's where I sit, undertaking the whole lot of them. I've been doing this for years, even followed a police car a few times doing exactly the same thing.
It's not classed as undertaking if the traffic in the outside lanes is moving more slowly, then it's perfectly legal to pass on the inside, it's the act of moving from the outside lane to pass on the inside then back to the outside that's considered to be undertaking, which is illegal.
Old 08 June 2015, 01:01 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
It's not classed as undertaking if the traffic in the outside lanes is moving more slowly, then it's perfectly legal to pass on the inside, it's the act of moving from the outside lane to pass on the inside then back to the outside that's considered to be undertaking, which is illegal.
I've certainly never done that... Officer.
Old 08 June 2015, 01:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I tried that one, then they showed me the film.
Old 08 June 2015, 01:13 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Driving down the A1 last night and I would admit to pressing on. Anyway, 52 plate Saxo joins ahead and I slow down. We pass some cars and he doesn't pull over even though it is very clear on inside lane. I give him a quick flash to let him know I want to pass and he starts to gesticulate. Whatever. Anyway by this time we'd come up on another car on the inside lane, so I wait until we pass then start to move up behind him at which point he starts accelerating. OK, we have a comedian I accelerate too and slip into the (clear inside lane). As he speeds up I notice that his front wheel arch has started to flap. Bit of traffic ahead we both slow down but once clear he starts accelerating again. Once again I follow in the inside lane. He goes faster and faster and eventually his wheel arch tears off and flies back down the road After that, he slows down and I pass him...

Dunno what all that was about but he obviously doesn't normally drive so fast and didn't want to get overtaken by a Range Rover Sport

I had a similar experience a few years ago. 2 Lads in a Clapped out Astra. Saw me behind (Golf TDI GT Sport) and decided to boot it up the dual carriageway.

Mile up the road, the engine decided to **** itself.
Old 08 June 2015, 04:24 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I don't think there are any more bell ends in one type of car than another. The thing is with big cars is they are more imposing on the road so you tend to notice people being tools in them more than people being tools in a Fiesta or the likes.

Sadly the country has a large number of aggressive self righteous **** heads inhabiting it who as soon as they get behind the wheel (or on a bicycle these days) think they have more rights than the rest of us and that the rules of the road don't apply to them!
I was wondering when you'd use this thread as another opportunity to have another bash at this country. Seriously, life it too short to hold such contempt and such bitterness towards this country and the all the people who live in it. Chill out, relax it's nice and sunny, have an ice cream, the weather's great and so is the outlook (well at least for the next few days!).
Old 08 June 2015, 07:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I was wondering when you'd use this thread as another opportunity to have another bash at this country. Seriously, life it too short to hold such contempt and such bitterness towards this country and the all the people who live in it. Chill out, relax it's nice and sunny, have an ice cream, the weather's great and so is the outlook (well at least for the next few days!).
I have lived and worked in three other countries than the UK. I have been on business to at least another 20. I have driven in all of them, most quite a lot. They include the USA, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and most of Europe including Italy and Spain. In all my time there I have never seen anything near the levels of genuine aggression on the road that I see here every week. Yes in places like Italy, Spain and Indonesia they want to get in front of you and take your bit of road, but if you beat them to it they don't leap out of their vehicles and threaten your life over it... they just get on with it!

So you may see it as me bashing this country, but I see it as the truth from my observations from my travels and driving experiences. May be you live in some bubble, but you only have to look at the way people drive in the UK day to day to see the issues.

An example. If you are ever driving through rural France and come upon a line of traffic moving slower than you would wish you can indicate and start to pass them. If something comes the other way they will let you back in 'half way' down the queue. Now try that in England!

A large number of uber aggressive bell ends in the UK ... that is THE problem!!

PS Compared to Western Australia the weather outlook for the next few days is sh1te so stick your crap British weather up your ****
Old 08 June 2015, 09:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Italy is the worst place I've driven and I'm doing it again in August; mates have a nice farmhouse in the mountains about two hours South of Milan; been twice, already dreading the drive and I love driving almost anywhere.

They are simply the most idiotic, aggressive, stupid drivers ever. Living at home with your Mum until your 30s clearly damages driving ability.
Old 08 June 2015, 09:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Italy is the worst place I've driven and I'm doing it again in August; mates have a nice farmhouse in the mountains about two hours South of Milan; been twice, already dreading the drive and I love driving almost anywhere.

They are simply the most idiotic, aggressive, stupid drivers ever. Living at home with your Mum until your 30s clearly damages driving ability.
Yes they are aggressive and driving there requires a re-think in some ways, but when you 'get it' you realise that it is a sort of passive aggression. They don't want to kill you for being in their way.
Old 08 June 2015, 09:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I have lived and worked in three other countries than the UK. I have been on business to at least another 20. I have driven in all of them, most quite a lot. They include the USA, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and most of Europe including Italy and Spain. In all my time there I have never seen anything near the levels of genuine aggression on the road that I see here every week. Yes in places like Italy, Spain and Indonesia they want to get in front of you and take your bit of road, but if you beat them to it they don't leap out of their vehicles and threaten your life over it... they just get on with it!

So you may see it as me bashing this country, but I see it as the truth from my observations from my travels and driving experiences. May be you live in some bubble, but you only have to look at the way people drive in the UK day to day to see the issues.

An example. If you are ever driving through rural France and come upon a line of traffic moving slower than you would wish you can indicate and start to pass them. If something comes the other way they will let you back in 'half way' down the queue. Now try that in England!

A large number of uber aggressive bell ends in the UK ... that is THE problem!!

PS Compared to Western Australia the weather outlook for the next few days is sh1te so stick your crap British weather up your ****
Must be the part of the country you live in, I've never seen that level of aggression you describe on the roads where I live or on my 50 mile round trip to and from work .

I have fair number of friends who've emigrated to Australia to Sydney and Melbourne and complain how hot summer gets! I like the temperate weather here in the UK

Last edited by jonc; 08 June 2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08 June 2015, 10:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Must be the part of the country you live in, I've never seen that level of aggression you describe on the roads where I live or on my 50 mile round trip to and from work .
No you wouldn't living in that fantasy suburb of Utopia

I have fair number of friends who've emigrated to Australia to Sydney and Melbourne and complain how hot summer gets! I like the temperate weather here in the UK
LOL at you trying to actually claim the UK has better weather than Australia Your 'friends' sound like typical whinging Brits, if they don't like it why don't they leave?

PS Melbourne and Sydney aren't in Western Australia
Old 08 June 2015, 10:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You can stick your 45 degrees WA straight where the sun don't shine , thanks very much , only one thing useful with that is Freemantle doctor
Old 08 June 2015, 10:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
You can stick your 45 degrees WA straight where the sun don't shine , thanks very much , only one thing useful with that is Freemantle doctor
In your utterly worthless opinion! 10 out of 10 for a legible post at last though.

Now, where sun don't shine? You mean the sh1thole that is the UK?

Quick Reply: Small Car Syndrome?