We're all in this together

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2015, 11:59 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We're all in this together

MPs set to get their 10% pay rise.

Cameron says he opposes it, but will not block it and more importantly will still take it when it is ratified. Some protest eh? :lo1l:

Last edited by f1_fan; 03 June 2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03 June 2015, 06:02 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I suspect Cameron does not even know how to operate his own ride-on lawnmower
Old 03 June 2015, 09:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

thought this was announces ages ago, or is it another rise?
Old 03 June 2015, 12:12 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
thought this was announces ages ago, or is it another rise?
Same one, it was a recommendation before and now they have decided to go ahead with it! You have to admire their gall
Old 03 June 2015, 12:57 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

We had an independent review into our salary which recommended a big increase - but this was blocked by the government.

Funny how they now support a similar pay review for them and are now 'powerless' to stop it
Old 03 June 2015, 01:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

TBH, the people running the country are paid less than some civil servants running certain departments.

Think quite a few are paid more than the PM, on over £200k pa.

They should be paid more, but as a consequence, expenses should be stopped.
Old 03 June 2015, 01:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
We had an independent review into our salary which recommended a big increase - but this was blocked by the government.

Funny how they now support a similar pay review for them and are now 'powerless' to stop it
It's pretty disgusting really isn't it? Trouble is there's nothing anyone can do about it as they are all the same. Greedy self serving pigs at the trough is an over used cliche, but it is only over used as it is exactly what they are!

Trending Topics

Old 03 June 2015, 01:25 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stilover
TBH, the people running the country are paid less than some civil servants running certain departments.

Think quite a few are paid more than the PM, on over £200k pa.

They should be paid more, but as a consequence, expenses should be stopped.
True, same goes with quite a few council chiefs, I believe. As for MP's salaries, I sure as hell wouldn't do a London-based job which as heavily in the public eye as that, for that money.
Old 03 June 2015, 01:25 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BUT WE ARE ALL IN IT TOGETHER.
WE PAY TAX'S
THEY WATCH US
Old 03 June 2015, 01:36 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Same one, it was a recommendation before and now they have decided to go ahead with it! You have to admire their gall

From 47:50...

Be interesting to see whether she sticks to that!

I won't hold my breath...
Old 03 June 2015, 03:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In 1988 the then Tory government introduced the Schoolteachers Pay and Conditions Review Body.......as a temporary measure.

It was supposed to be a) independent and b) temporary.

In the TWENTY-SEVEN years it has been in existence, it has NEVER yet recommended an increase of even 0.1% above what government say they can afford.

So no change there then.
Old 03 June 2015, 04:26 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It's pretty disgusting really isn't it? Trouble is there's nothing anyone can do about it as they are all the same. Greedy self serving pigs at the trough is an over used cliche, but it is only over used as it is exactly what they are!
I'm fairly certain I know exactly how this will end up but i'll punt it out there anyways.

The whole 'self serving pigs at the trough' thing does bemuse me slightly. At the end of they day they are just people. How many people can honestly hold up their hand and say that A) they go to work and do their jobs purely for the benefit of their employer and B) would turn down a 10% pay rise if offered?

Yes it could be argued that as politicians/civil servants they are duty bound to put the public interest above their own because that is the nature of the job. But then that would be applying double standards, something which everyone moans about when politicians do it.
Old 03 June 2015, 09:43 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IPSA are "enforcing" the rise and MP's can't do anything about it because IPSA, setup under a Labour government in 2009 at the height of the expenses scandal, have taken away powers for MP's to set their own pay. But rather than being "outraged" at the attention grabbing headline, this rise comes at a cost to MP's pensions and cuts to some of what they're able to claim for expenses, for example, the scrapping of resettlement payments worth tens of thousands of pounds per MP, and then future salary rises will be linked to changes in UK average wages. I don't have the figures but I suspect that this reform is set to cost MP's more in the long run that the gain of a one time 10% rise in their salary. This is why some MP's don't want the pay rise, this reform.
Old 04 June 2015, 09:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Until, of course, MPs get fed up of it and change the law again...as they tend to do.
Old 04 June 2015, 08:28 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

1.Get some proper modern offices.
2.They work 9-5 like everyone else.
3.All the office staff are employed by the state & hired by an independent HR department.
4.Pay them a 'good' executive salary but no other benefits to attract people from the commercial sector.
5.New candidates to be publicly funded to enable them to cross over into politics.
Old 04 June 2015, 08:34 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

******* politicians,self serving ******* ....
Old 04 June 2015, 08:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
1.Get some proper modern offices.
2.They work 9-5 like everyone else.
3.All the office staff are employed by the state & hired by an independent HR department.
4.Pay them a 'good' executive salary but no other benefits to attract people from the commercial sector.
5.New candidates to be publicly funded to enable them to cross over into politics.
yep, all that and sell the wine cellar (supposedly worth millions) and franchise out all bars, restaurants and tea rooms to Costa's, Burger King / Pizza Express and harvesters

let's get proper reform - and why so many

America with a population of 450 million get by with far fewer elected "MP's"

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 04 June 2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04 June 2015, 09:24 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

All other public sector employees (teachers, council staff, emergency service workers) have had a pay freeze for five or six years now. Not even an inflationary rise. But MPs give themselves a 10% rise. And for what? Abject failure! For decades, different successive governments have done a catastrophic job of managing all aspects of the country, from welfare, social issues, education, not to mention the economy... getting us, as a nation, into trillions of pounds of debt. The only other group of people that gets rewarded for such ineptitude is bankers. Which validates one of my longest held opinions: politicians and bankers, along with the media and religious nutters, are amongst the ultimate scum of the earth and are responsible for most of the world's problems.

So if they're giving themselves such a generous pay rise, presumably the country's finances can also now afford to grant other public sector workers a long overdue pay rise, too!? But for some reason, I suspect that's not going to happen!
Old 04 June 2015, 11:37 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy
All other public sector employees (teachers, council staff, emergency service workers) have had a pay freeze for five or six years now. Not even an inflationary rise. But MPs give themselves a 10% rise. And for what? Abject failure! For decades, different successive governments have done a catastrophic job of managing all aspects of the country, from welfare, social issues, education, not to mention the economy... getting us, as a nation, into trillions of pounds of debt. The only other group of people that gets rewarded for such ineptitude is bankers. Which validates one of my longest held opinions: politicians and bankers, along with the media and religious nutters, are amongst the ultimate scum of the earth and are responsible for most of the world's problems.

So if they're giving themselves such a generous pay rise, presumably the country's finances can also now afford to grant other public sector workers a long overdue pay rise, too!? But for some reason, I suspect that's not going to happen!
Are they actually 'giving themselves a pay rise'?

Last I heard this was recommended by an independent body, and will probably (and rightly) be rejected by the main parties.

How about using some facts?
Old 05 June 2015, 09:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

An independent body? Probably, in this case.

But the supposedly independent body which is the Schoolteachers Pay and Conditions Review Board has never once in TWENTY SEVEN YEARS, advised an increase of even 0.1% above what government tell them they can afford.

Independent? For MP's yes...everyone else, no.

There's your facts.

Now you can start squawking "No it doesn't, no it isn't, no it won't...etc etc"
Old 05 June 2015, 12:04 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
An independent body? Probably, in this case.

But the supposedly independent body which is the Schoolteachers Pay and Conditions Review Board has never once in TWENTY SEVEN YEARS, advised an increase of even 0.1% above what government tell them they can afford.

Independent? For MP's yes...everyone else, no.

There's your facts.

Now you can start squawking "No it doesn't, no it isn't, no it won't...etc etc"
What has the teachers pay body got to do with anything?

I'm not even remotely trying to justify the pay settlements for either teachers or MPs.
Old 05 June 2015, 05:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Both bodies SUPPOSED to be independent.

The first gives MP's a 10% rise, the second has ALWAYS given exactly what government SAY they can afford.

Independent? Maybe, maybe not.
Old 05 June 2015, 06:11 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Are they actually 'giving themselves a pay rise'?

Last I heard this was recommended by an independent body, and will probably (and rightly) be rejected by the main parties.

How about using some facts?

How about you do everyone a favour and walk off the edge of a cliff.

"Are they actually 'giving themselves a pay rise'?" Well considering f1 fan wrote in post 4 "now they have actually decided to go ahead with it!", I assumed it was happening. I didn't check whether this was 'fact' as I assumed he wouldn't have written it if it wasn't. The very fact that the notion is being bandied about suggests that it will happen sooner rather than later. It's the usual process for introducing controversial legislation. First, someone suggests the idea. Then it's blocked. Then it's brought up again a little later. And after the initial public outrage has subsided, the idea is eventually passed, by which point most people have accepted the inevitable. And I don't think anyone (except you, perhaps!) will disagree that other public sector workers won't get as big a pay rise as MPs will get when it does happen.

Anyway, you're hardly the person to talk about people using facts, are you, considering all the rubbish you write. I only started reading NSR very recently, but I've already quickly realised that you, sir, are a clueless, gullible fool - a view, I'm confident to write, shared by many!

Have a nice day!
Old 05 June 2015, 06:52 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

For what they do £70k isn't much when compared to other jobs.

That is assuming they are doing the full role.
Old 05 June 2015, 07:11 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

£74k a year with nothing to pay out for, not even paper clip's or toilet roll, il'e have a bit of that, suit's you sir
Old 05 June 2015, 07:12 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

"Are they actually 'giving themselves a pay rise'?" Well considering f1 fan wrote in post 4 "now they have actually decided to go ahead with it!", I assumed it was happening. I didn't check whether this was 'fact' as I assumed he wouldn't have written it if it wasn't. The very fact that the notion is being bandied about suggests that it will happen sooner rather than later. It's the usual process for introducing controversial legislation. First, someone suggests the idea. Then it's blocked. Then it's brought up again a little later. And after the initial public outrage has subsided, the idea is eventually passed, by which point most people have accepted the inevitable. And I don't think anyone (except you, perhaps!) will disagree that other public sector workers won't get as big a pay rise as MPs will get when it does happen.

Anyway, you're hardly the person to talk about people using facts, are you, considering all the rubbish you write. I only started reading NSR very recently, but I've already quickly realised that you, sir, are a clueless, gullible fool - a view, I'm confident to write, shared by many!

Have a nice day!
Perhaps you should check your facts rather than make an idiot of yourself.
Old 05 June 2015, 09:49 PM
Uncle Creepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Perhaps you should check your facts rather than make an idiot of yourself.

Are you and that other idiot The Fact Brothers or something? Are you a Rafa Benitez fan by any chance?

You do realise that fewer things in life than you'd expect are truly facts!? Just because you read something in the media, or an official report states something, doesn't make it fact.

And if you're so obsessed with facts, like I said before, you should really be questioning from where f1 fan got the information. Regardless, I stand by everything I wrote in my first post.

So the only one who has made an idiot of themselves is you, as per! And as usual, a thread about a current affairs topic has resulted in b!tching because of idiots like you and your fellow Fact Brother. You just can't help yourselves, can you?

Last edited by Uncle Creepy; 05 June 2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05 June 2015, 10:20 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Have a nice day!
What a bizarre post
Old 05 June 2015, 11:27 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Are you and that other idiot The Fact Brothers or something? Are you a Rafa Benitez fan by any chance?

You do realise that fewer things in life than you'd expect are truly facts!? Just because you read something in the media, or an official report states something, doesn't make it fact.

And if you're so obsessed with facts, like I said before, you should really be questioning from where f1 fan got the information. Regardless, I stand by everything I wrote in my first post.

So the only one who has made an idiot of themselves is you, as per! And as usual, a thread about a current affairs topic has resulted in b!tching because of idiots like you and your fellow Fact Brother. You just can't help yourselves, can you?
You make a lot of assumptions in this and previous posts, and you know what they say about assumptions! But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're new around here.

Last edited by jonc; 05 June 2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06 June 2015, 01:02 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

And this one is beyond bizarre.

And just for the record; all I've questioned was your bold statement that 'MPs are giving themselves a pay rise' which is demonstrably not the case. This seems to of sent you off the deep end for some reason.
Are you Farage? As you seem to be particularly 'thin skinned, snarling and aggressive'

Last edited by Martin2005; 06 June 2015 at 01:13 AM.