Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are we moving towards a reduced speed limit on motorways via stealth means?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2015, 10:03 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are we moving towards a reduced speed limit on motorways via stealth means?

Yesterday I had the misfortune to travel from Watford to Manchester via the M1/M62 (the M6 had a major accident at J18 so the M1/M6 or M1/A50/M6 routes were not an option.

I left Watford at 13:06 and joined the M1 about 13:30. There was moderate traffic (certainly not busy) and the first part of the journey (say 20 miles or so) was done under the variable limit set to 60mph so with cameras that's everyone doing 60mph.

Then I entered the first of the 50mph roadwork sections where they are installing revenue generating... sorry I mean managed.... motorway. This persisted for about 20 or so miles. This set the tone of the drive. Either the variable limits were set to 50 or 60 and there were at least 5 sections of 50mph roadworks for installing more of this crap.

Then came the real kicker. Joined the M62 straight into the variable limit section and the gantries were set like this 60... 60... 50... 60... 60... 50 and so on. Given they are all camera'd that led to the, again relatively modest, levels of traffic speeding up to 60 and then slowing down to 50 creating a concertina wave effect that generally made the whole experience hard work and somewhat stupid.

My impression of the journey which ultimately took nearly 5 hours was how bloody wearing it was.

I also can't help but feel there was little to no reason to have the variable limits set on anywhere on my journey except perhaps near the M606 at Bradford where it was busy.

The roadworks sections have virtually no one working on them and how the hell can it take 3 years to install a few gantries and some cables? In one of the sections there was that 'cute' little sign with a picture of a kid and the text saying 'My Dad works on this site so please drive carefully'. I felt like stopping and spraying 'well he must be bloody invisible then' under the stupid brat's smug little face.

My over-riding impression is that we are being conditioned for a general lowering of the speed limit on the motorways... not officially maybe, but controlled via the gantries that seem to be being installed just about everywhere.

Thank God I'm getting out of here as driving is just getting too wearing in this country!
Old 22 May 2015, 10:31 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Yep, Big Brother is not only watching you, but surreptitiously suppressing your Joi de Vivre as well.
Old 22 May 2015, 10:38 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Surreptitiously ...!!!??

Even my old ford mondeo came with cruise comtrol
Old 22 May 2015, 10:51 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Surreptitiously ...!!!??

Even my old ford mondeo came with cruise comtrol
Do you ever actually read the thread posted before you start spouting?
Old 22 May 2015, 10:58 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We had this on the M3 (from the A303 junction to M25) a month ago; ALL of it was 50mph and it's quite a long stretch.

They appeared to be doing naff all to it.

Very annoying.
Old 22 May 2015, 11:00 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Half the time, the signs are left on...hardly "managed" is it?

I've done the A1 Alconbury bypass twice, dead of night, dry roads, excellent visibility, almost nil traffic, and the signs have been set at "40, Caution, Queues".

After five of those, it said, "End".

But there were no queues and happily, everyone was ignoring it. Happened going south, then, two weeks later, EXACTLY the same going north

Highways agency eh?
Old 22 May 2015, 11:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Half the time, the signs are left on...hardly "managed" is it?

I've done the A1 Alconbury bypass twice, dead of night, dry roads, excellent visibility, almost nil traffic, and the signs have been set at "40, Caution, Queues".

After five of those, it said, "End".

But there were no queues and happily, everyone was ignoring it. Happened going south, then, two weeks later, EXACTLY the same going north

Highways agency eh?
It's the gantry ones that are the problem though as approximately every other gantry has a gatso camera on it set to the limit displayed on the gantry and that is why everyone speeds up and slows down to the displayed limit which when they are set at different limits from one to the next causes the wave effect.

Trending Topics

Old 22 May 2015, 12:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well on that occasion, I got no fines going or coming back.
Old 22 May 2015, 12:45 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No motorways north of Perth, so I couldn't care less
Old 22 May 2015, 12:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Just a caution presumably , like speed "limits" in French towns
Old 22 May 2015, 12:49 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

I think its only a matter of time , that cars speed and distance between them, are controkked electronically and freedom of choice will be taken out of our hands anyway.
Old 22 May 2015, 12:57 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Well on that occasion, I got no fines going or coming back.
No I think we are at crossed purposes. The ones you are talking about are on the signs that stick out from shafts mounted to the left of the hard shoulder (limit + message) or traditional ones in the central reservation (limit only).

The gantry ones are on full gantries that go right across the lanes and each lane has a speed limit indicator that can be set to whatever speed they choose and a camera behind it for each lane.

The former don't record your speed electronically, the latter obviously can and do. I know of three people who have had tickets on the M62 variable limit section, one of them for 81mph when the limit was switched off

Last edited by f1_fan; 22 May 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 22 May 2015, 03:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have to say I agree, really annoying when they drop it to 40 too for no reason .. it's like they forget.
Old 22 May 2015, 03:40 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

M1 Southbound yesterday morning from J9 down to M25, 50/60 restricted speeds.

This was at 5AM with hardly ANY traffic.
Old 22 May 2015, 03:44 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Surreptitiously ...!!!??
It refers to something done in a secretive or covert manner.

I would have thought with over 38000 previous posts to practice with you could have come up with something more constructive than that.
Old 23 May 2015, 01:52 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Had the joys of the 50 mph M1 'motorway' yesterday and was thinking much the same as the OP....pita
Old 23 May 2015, 06:59 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Having heen on the hard shoulder of a motorway when cars and lorrys drive past at 70mph and over the force of the wind generated by these is quite bad. I can only assume cameras at road works is part of health and safety for the road workers which although a pain for motorists it's far safer for the ground workers.
Old 23 May 2015, 12:09 PM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Totally agree with camera to slow traffic when men are working.

However, OP is right, there is now a obsession with "smart motorways" which are anything but. 50/60 MPH signs for apparently no reason. Some traffic seems "in the know" and ignores the speed limits or sit on your bumper.

I think its because some study somehow determined that more traffic is able to flow when the limit is 50 rather than 70 which seems an impossibility.

Also agree with OP that driving under these conditions is definitely more tiring and stressful. How can that be a good thing?

There is some government / local government dept somewhere who can't stop tinkering with the roads and they need to be stopped. God know how much money was wasted erecting all these gantry's.
Old 23 May 2015, 12:27 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Doesn't waving ,yo-yoing ,bunching up result from people slamming on he anchors when they realise they going top fast ( and might get caught) . If you were to adjust your speed / cc when viewing the gantry, from distance , it wouldn't be so difficult. ( without touching the brake pedal )

Last edited by dpb; 23 May 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 23 May 2015, 01:03 PM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

A few problems here, the variable gantries (red rings) in SOME cases are set by a traffic counting system which counts the number of cars and attempts to improve the flow by setting limits. It would work if people could drive.

Other newer smart motorway sections are hard shoulder running and are generally set by idiotic HA goons and then left on.

Most of these red ring gantry sections mentioned don't have the gatso calibrated, M6, M1 and M62 have been. But most that was a long time ago and things break.....

M25 only in the new sections has been calibrated, but those only have a few camera's which can be seen for miles which is why you get everyone up your ****

The whole thing is a pointless waste of money, they should just make the roads bigger to cope. Or educate people how to drive.
Old 23 May 2015, 11:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt-c
Totally agree with camera to slow traffic when men are working.

However, OP is right, there is now a obsession with "smart motorways" which are anything but. 50/60 MPH signs for apparently no reason. Some traffic seems "in the know" and ignores the speed limits or sit on your bumper.

I think its because some study somehow determined that more traffic is able to flow when the limit is 50 rather than 70 which seems an impossibility.

Also agree with OP that driving under these conditions is definitely more tiring and stressful. How can that be a good thing?

There is some government / local government dept somewhere who can't stop tinkering with the roads and they need to be stopped. God know how much money was wasted erecting all these gantry's.
Thank you, there is someone else with a brain on Scoobynet
Old 23 May 2015, 11:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby87
A few problems here, the variable gantries (red rings) in SOME cases are set by a traffic counting system which counts the number of cars and attempts to improve the flow by setting limits. It would work if people could drive.

Other newer smart motorway sections are hard shoulder running and are generally set by idiotic HA goons and then left on.

Most of these red ring gantry sections mentioned don't have the gatso calibrated, M6, M1 and M62 have been. But most that was a long time ago and things break.....

M25 only in the new sections has been calibrated, but those only have a few camera's which can be seen for miles which is why you get everyone up your ****

The whole thing is a pointless waste of money, they should just make the roads bigger to cope. Or educate people how to drive.
Yep
Old 24 May 2015, 08:34 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

These smart managed motorway sections haha are a pain.coming through Birmingham at 5am the signs saying 50,40,30,or 60,40,50. 😖 you can know the gantry with cameras just look at the rear gantry the otherside of motorway,if it hasn't got camera then the gantry the side you driving on won't either.I can see them causing more frustration and accidents as you get drivers who see the sign at 40 slam the brakes on and others who don't slow and keep going as they are more Clued up to these speed sections.Agree this country and roads is getting worse driving,to many cameras,traffic lights,sliproads,junctions,roundabouts.And It don't help with appear to have many uneducated drivers,or senseless drivers,blocking junctions and roundabouts when their exit isn't clear is becoming more of a problem.I would rather stay driving more in europe now and deal with the immigrants at calais,So think i'll Be are arranging it again.A year driving here in the UK and had enough,its a fecking stressful nightmare i've Stopped sometimes after driving 9/10 hours and felt mentaly drained because of all the crap road systems here,everywhere is delays.yet can drive Uk to prague in a day and still feel fresh as a daisy doing it all...rant over..
Old 24 May 2015, 07:26 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

That's why I like going to the far south east of Spain for my holidays.Lots of lovely new roads ,no cameras & very few motorway cops.No yellow lines or parking restrictions in most of the small towns & villages.I swear half the chill out factor is due to the lack of stress when driving.
Old 24 May 2015, 09:24 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
That's why I like going to the far south east of Spain for my holidays.Lots of lovely new roads ,no cameras & very few motorway cops.No yellow lines or parking restrictions in most of the small towns & villages.I swear half the chill out factor is due to the lack of stress when driving.
You notice it as as you come off the boat or train and get on the m20 straight away in your face cameras and speed restrictions,it just stops the flow of traffic.Not saying you don't get traffic in Europe you do,even though for example Brussels ring road at 4pm it slows down but it still moves along usually.here you got nothing but cameras everywhere,mile after mile motorway cameras,cameras.
Old 25 May 2015, 02:41 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dallas:
Bunch of nutcases with massive trucks, cars and constant drink driving.
No speed cameras
Red light camera's, yes but only on some roads
Accidents, yes there seem to be loads but people drive tanks, generally
Deaths per year don't seem that different really

Basically, British people are being screwed.