Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I would not have shaken his hand

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2015, 06:05 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I would not have shaken his hand

I'm surprised Prince Charles shook Adams hand today, as well as a lot of the media reporting how the IRA "killed" Mountbatten.

No they murdered him, as well as many others.
Old 19 May 2015, 06:07 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

sounds like you think he should be shot,,,, o wait that kinda thinking is what caused it all in the first palce

Have to move on if you want to stop violence like that
Old 19 May 2015, 06:40 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Tidgy
sounds like you think he should be shot,,,, o wait that kinda thinking is what caused it all in the first palce

Have to move on if you want to stop violence like that
And how do you come to that conclusion Tidgy ?

I'm not suggesting that for one minute, I deplore the violence that comes from any such group more so those using religion as a weapon, it's as pathetic as the members of these groups, be it the IRA, IS, Baader Meinhof or ETA etc etc.

Would you have shaken the hand of a man that probably had some part in planning the murder of your great uncle ?

Charlie is obviously a bigger man than me because I just couldn't do that.

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 19 May 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 19 May 2015, 07:45 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't shake hands with Gerry Adams either .......
Old 19 May 2015, 08:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I'm surprised Prince Charles shook Adams hand today, as well as a lot of the media reporting how the IRA "killed" Mountbatten.

No they murdered him, as well as many others.

Especially as Adam has come out and Blamed everyone else for the killings.
Old 19 May 2015, 09:05 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

I guess you'd have shaken Mandella's hand ?
Old 19 May 2015, 09:21 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

It's taken a lot of brave talking,planning and crap swallowing for the troubles of Ireland
To be put behind us all. I salute everybody who has given something to maintain the current situation. I have been fortunate to have visited both North and South Ireland and every person I ever met where always good as gold towards me, I do wish them peace, I can remember constant press details of the death and destruction caused by the troubles.
Let the past be remembered but not sour the future.

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2015, 10:47 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by daddyscoob
I guess you'd have shaken Mandella's hand ?
Nothing to do with the context of this thread but to answer your question, No

I also remember when he was a terrorist (freedom fighter to some before it's mentioned), before he had celebs fawning all over him.
Old 20 May 2015, 11:36 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by greenonedave
It's taken a lot of brave talking,planning and crap swallowing for the troubles of Ireland
To be put behind us all. I salute everybody who has given something to maintain the current situation. I have been fortunate to have visited both North and South Ireland and every person I ever met where always good as gold towards me, I do wish them peace, I can remember constant press details of the death and destruction caused by the troubles.
This^^^^

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
Old 20 May 2015, 11:38 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt Charlie have a hand in murdering Diana though....
Old 20 May 2015, 11:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
This^^^^

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Except when he's an IS manaiac
Old 20 May 2015, 12:40 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said
Old 20 May 2015, 03:14 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

It boils my p!ss too Funkii however what I find worse is that terrorist cvnt McGuinness shaking the hand of the Queen.

And yes if anyone wants to ask I do think the SAS/Paras should have shot McGuinness in the 70s/80's with any other IRA terrorists they had in their sights. He was head of the IRA and therefore no different to Osama Bin Laden or any other leader of a terrorist organisation.
Old 20 May 2015, 03:38 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
It boils my p!ss too Funkii however what I find worse is that terrorist cvnt McGuinness shaking the hand of the Queen.

And yes if anyone wants to ask I do think the SAS/Paras should have shot McGuinness in the 70s/80's with any other IRA terrorists they had in their sights. He was head of the IRA and therefore no different to Osama Bin Laden or any other leader of a terrorist organisation.
As distasteful as it was dialogue was the only way forward. Violence and fighting would have perpetuated the issue forever and a day. The Good Friday agreement was a godsend for those caught up in the troubles.
Old 20 May 2015, 03:48 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I understand that Maz and whilst I understand things have to go forward and I can just about get my head around Jerry Adams being part of the peace process I draw the line at McGuinness.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 20 May 2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 21 May 2015, 12:48 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Whist I think that Adams and McGuiness are despicable chracters, we have to move on.

Also, the paras murdered innocent civilians in NI too. They were bad times, and if we are not to repeat them, then as Hirohito said in 1945 "we must endure the un-endurable".
Old 21 May 2015, 06:45 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

What is probably not reported in the 'mainland' media reports, is that there remains a small but dangerous grouping in Ireland who want to drag NI back to where it was over 20 years ago, they are so entrenched in the past they won't move on. Messrs Adams & McGuinness and many of their party colleagues now must watch over their shoulder as they live life under threat from those dissident elements, who while small in number are dangerous and reckless.

The term coined locally is 'the peace process' - it is a process which has taken time, and will take more time yet, it has been fraught with difficulty, and it is far from perfect. Without putting the past where it belongs that process cannot move forward - that is not to say the past should be forgotten, to forget it, would risk repeating the mistakes made previously.

I have lost friends and colleagues in 'the troubles' or 'the conflict' - call it what you will, I had my own neartest, near miss on 7th October '96 when an 800lb bomb in the back of a Volvo Estate car detonated less than 50m in front of me; as my brain started to process what had just happened, my colleagues and I realised there were casualties more seriously injured than we were who needed moved to safety, as we carried them on makeshift stretchers, which were actually mattresses from the bedding store, we ferried them towards the medical centre for emergency first aid; as we carried the first casualties in, a second car bomb detonated right outside, which caused my friend and colleague Jim Bradwell to be fatally injured.

Few will remember his name, few will know or care about the impact this loss had on his family; that his Daughter can't face getting married, as she cant contemplate the thought of her dad not being at her side on that special day; Romana has two children, who have been denied a grandfather, every family celebration has a bitter sting to it, as the absence of a grandfather, father and husband is so deeply felt.

None of this makes my point of view or opinions on the subject any more relevant than anyone elses, but for my children's future and that of a generation not old enough to remember 'the troubles' first hand, I hope the general direction of travel remains progressive, this is a better way than clinging to the past.
Old 21 May 2015, 07:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
What is probably not reported in the 'mainland' media reports, is that there remains a small but dangerous grouping in Ireland who want to drag NI back to where it was over 20 years ago, they are so entrenched in the past they won't move on. Messrs Adams & McGuinness and many of their party colleagues now must watch over their shoulder as they live life under threat from those dissident elements, who while small in number are dangerous and reckless.

The term coined locally is 'the peace process' - it is a process which has taken time, and will take more time yet, it has been fraught with difficulty, and it is far from perfect. Without putting the past where it belongs that process cannot move forward - that is not to say the past should be forgotten, to forget it, would risk repeating the mistakes made previously.

I have lost friends and colleagues in 'the troubles' or 'the conflict' - call it what you will, I had my own neartest, near miss on 7th October '96 when an 800lb bomb in the back of a Volvo Estate car detonated less than 50m in front of me; as my brain started to process what had just happened, my colleagues and I realised there were casualties more seriously injured than we were who needed moved to safety, as we carried them on makeshift stretchers, which were actually mattresses from the bedding store, we ferried them towards the medical centre for emergency first aid; as we carried the first casualties in, a second car bomb detonated right outside, which caused my friend and colleague Jim Bradwell to be fatally injured.

Few will remember his name, few will know or care about the impact this loss had on his family; that his Daughter can't face getting married, as she cant contemplate the thought of her dad not being at her side on that special day; Romana has two children, who have been denied a grandfather, every family celebration has a bitter sting to it, as the absence of a grandfather, father and husband is so deeply felt.

None of this makes my point of view or opinions on the subject any more relevant than anyone elses, but for my children's future and that of a generation not old enough to remember 'the troubles' first hand, I hope the general direction of travel remains progressive, this is a better way than clinging to the past.
Yes, good posts,

And even as a committed republican - Prince Charles has risen in my estimations regarding this

At some point you have to move on, and that does not have to mean forgetting, but the focus has to be on the future
Old 21 May 2015, 09:55 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Tarmac that's a post that brings it home and i'm genuinely sorry to hear of what you went through and the family of your friend.

I am all for the peace process even if my posts above come across as different and as mentioned above I reluctantly accept Gerry Adams is part of that process but I will never trust Martin McGuinness and believe he probably still has a hand firmly in IRA matters simply because of his past. Do the people of Northern Ireland though think deep down that he has truly left his past behind him and is no longer involved in any shape or form with the hierarchy of the IRA? I can't be the only one to distrust him because of his past?

I may be wrong but i'd put money on the security forces keeping a close eye on him and have the same distrust of him.