Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are sky taking the piss.....

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2015, 09:09 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Are sky taking the ****.....

So I have sky television and pay a small fortune every month for the privilege. My bill is in the region of £80 every month which to me is alot. Yes I chose to have all the channels and I also have my broadband with them but even so, it's still alot of money.

I can't stand football but am a huge F1 and boxing fan. For some reason I have to have all the sports channels even though the F1 has its own channel and the boxing is only ever on sky sports 1. But still they charge me over £20 extra a month for all the sports channels. Oh well, that's how it is, nothing I can do about it so If i want the F1 and boxing I just have to pay it. No huge grumbles there.
But what really boils my **** is sky box office !!!! Any decent fight is now shown on sky box office which then costs another small fortune on top of the 80 sodding quid I'm already paying !!!
So last week was the mayweather/Pacquiao fight at £20. Fair enough, it was a hugely anticipated fight and I was happy to stump up the extra to watch it (even though I wish I hadn't bothered). But just watching ringside and I see that next weekend fights will also be on box office. They now want another £16.95 to watch the card which isn't exactly a fantastic one to he honest.

Why am I paying the extra each month to have sky sports when if a decent fight is on they stick it on the box office channel. To me that is a serious pi55 take and I am utterly fuming.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 15 May 2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 15 May 2015, 09:14 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virgin are as bad, we switched from Sky a few years ago. We have the lot with them, multi room in a few rooms, approx £120 a month 😢
Old 15 May 2015, 09:15 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here but I have my telephone and internet with them,my misses wants me to get rid of the sports but I'm not having any of it,still a rip off,i even tried phoning em to try and get a discount, no chance
Old 15 May 2015, 09:19 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

The thing is I'm not angry about the £80 a month bill, that's my choice. I decided to have the whole package and am able to shrink it if I so wish.
It's the fact they charge me over £20 a month as it is for sky sports (which I barely watch as F1 is on once a fortnight and boxing is on now and again) but then decide to put any decent fight on box office which then results in an extra charge.
Old 15 May 2015, 09:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

They are all as bad, stupid bundles, stupid pricing, LINE RENTAL , and above all, year on year price rises.

If you stay with any of them they cr@p on you, only giving to new clients.

Meanwhile, over in France, my "bundle" went down from €33.60 a month to €30 a month, because I was a loyal customer.

And for that I get 160 TV channels, 10MB broadband, (we aat the end of a phone line and can't have more at present), plus UNLIMITED landline calls to anywhere in the world, 24/7/365 for free, and NO LINE RENTAL.

The UK companies are taking the **** for sure Rip Off Britain is alive and well.
Old 15 May 2015, 09:23 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

We're on Virgin here, £40 a month, includes a phone line, 100MB broadband but no tv.
We just use Freesat built into our TV which has some free HD channels
Old 15 May 2015, 09:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And does that £40 inc line rental? And is it a special offer which will rise later?

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2015, 09:35 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I get sky f1 without sky sports because I have a HD package, is yours not a HD package?

Nik.

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
The thing is I'm not angry about the £80 a month bill, that's my choice. I decided to have the whole package and am able to shrink it if I so wish.
It's the fact they charge me over £20 a month as it is for sky sports (which I barely watch as F1 is on once a fortnight and boxing is on now and again) but then decide to put any decent fight on box office which then results in an extra charge.
Old 15 May 2015, 09:46 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Good thing you don`t like moto gp or you would have to be on Bt to watch it.
Old 15 May 2015, 09:48 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I get sky f1 without sky sports because I have a HD package, is yours not a HD package?

Nik.
Yes I have HD package but was told that the sky F1 channel is part of the sky sports package and not available on its own....
Old 15 May 2015, 09:52 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
And does that £40 inc line rental? And is it a special offer which will rise later?
Yes £17 line rental included
Old 15 May 2015, 09:52 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

And no it's not a special deal or anything, but will probably get a little price hike as virgin usually do with all customers

Last edited by silver-sub; 15 May 2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 15 May 2015, 11:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yes they are taking the ****

wake up sheeple
Old 15 May 2015, 11:55 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Got rid of sky years ago, waste of money!
My satellite dish stopped working at the start of the year, no interest in fixing it or paying a TV Licence so have been living a TV free life apart from Netflix.
Old 16 May 2015, 12:33 AM
DanGlennon
Scooby Regular

TV is a **** take in general. I was paying £104 a month for my sky plus another £25 on top of that for TV licence. After phoning TV licence and asking under what circumstances you don't have to pay I was told that if I used the catch up services (iplayer, 4oD, ITV player etc) I wouldn't have to pay but if I watch any live TV I would. I bought myself an android box for £25 and cancelled my sky and TV licence immediately. I now pay only £26 a month for my line rental and fibre optic broadband. F**k paying anything more to sit on my **** watching TV it's a joke!
Old 16 May 2015, 01:45 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't agree more, the Sky charges are extortionate and there should be more scope on the channels/packages you can choose from. I'm in the same boat and paying over £80pm because i want F1 and movies, but i don't watch the footy but i'm paying for it whether i like it or not

What really boils my **** are the bi-annual increases, which are usually £3, did you notice the last one was £5, (to keep the level of service to a high standard, yea right, bollocks!)

Also I've been with them ages and i wanted to upgrade to the 2TB sky+hd box from a regular hd box but they aren't willing to do me a deal and want £150 for it! So tried the usual double bluff of threatening to cancel (which usually works) and they didn't play ball at all. It's not like they can't afford to do deals for loyal customers. Gits!
Old 16 May 2015, 05:45 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Yes I have HD package but was told that the sky F1 channel is part of the sky sports package and not available on its own....
You don't need The sports channels to get f1 HD
Old 16 May 2015, 05:56 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry guys but I think you're all mental **** me a grand a year to watch the telly in this day and age.

I'm not even particularly computer or technology savvy but I still manage to watch everything I want to for free, which includes the Mayweather fight which I watched the day after (**** staying up to 3/4am) and F1 and I live on top of a mountain in Croatia with mobile internet FFS.

You guys need to examine the other options out there all you really need is a half decent internet connection and a laptop and jobs a good un, I even get Iplayer etc out here since a very kind chap on here told me how to do it and for a one off payment of around £150 there's a lad out here that reckons he can give me over 200 channels via satellite and I'll even be able to watch latest movie releases via the local cinema's satellite channel for free, with my projector, surround sound and crate of beer I'm like a pig in **** and it only costs me £12 a month.
Old 16 May 2015, 06:05 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

start listing some good freesat boxes and lets boycott these companies,hit them where it hurts,I gave up Virgin over a year ago now and don't even miss it.
Old 16 May 2015, 06:19 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

My mate was telling me about kodi and he can get free channels on his tv
You need to buy a top set box ? For £79-£150 then all the channels are free
I pay £21 a month for sky as I just like the movies in 315-329 and occasional music channels
I tried to ring uo and cancel / get lower price but they said no
Previously they would reduce my bill to £3 a month if I lost my job
Old 16 May 2015, 07:12 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

TV license and £6 a month for Netflix.
Some of you are mental paying so much for TV.
Old 16 May 2015, 07:19 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

If you are out of the minimum term contract then just phone and give 30 days notice to cancel.

Then await the phone call from the 'retentions' department.

I now pay £21 per month for the full works ( not phone/ broadband) price guaranteed for 12 months but no minimum term, plus I got the first month FOC after I agreed to stay with them.
Old 16 May 2015, 07:31 AM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
start listing some good freesat boxes and lets boycott these companies,hit them where it hurts,I gave up Virgin over a year ago now and don't even miss it.
IF people actually did this and made a stand, spmething might happen. But ,if thefuel price protest is anything to go by, keep paying. Myself im going to get a box for £200 and thats me sorted
Old 16 May 2015, 08:05 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevo10
IF people actually did this and made a stand, spmething might happen. But ,if thefuel price protest is anything to go by, keep paying. Myself im going to get a box for £200 and thats me sorted
I trying to get the parents off it,but they only really had it when I was living at home,but I think it was only something around £25.00 a month then TV,phone,Internet,and they have just carried on with it.Now I'm sure they are paying about £80.00 a month for mostly repeat channels + 1 etc and the programmes are crap and just ain't worth it.plenty of sites on the net you can get TV programmes,movies.
Old 16 May 2015, 09:51 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

£0 a month for my TV on my Humax freeview box. I came from my parents house with Sky with all the packages and decided that it is NOT worth the cost. I spent £150 on a Humax freeview box which can still record, series link, etc just like Sky but I only get the freeview channels which I find is adequate for me! Obviously I pay the license fee for you wise-guys but other than that, nothing!

Side note: Broadband and landline with BT is £30 a month I think, although I've got 6 months free use currently.

Last edited by LSherratt; 16 May 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 16 May 2015, 10:22 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
£0 a month for my TV on my Humax freeview box. I came from my parents house with Sky with all the packages and decided that it is NOT worth the cost. I spent £150 on a Humax freeview box which can still record, series link, etc just like Sky but I only get the freeview channels which I find is adequate for me! Obviously I pay the license fee for you wise-guys but other than that, nothing!

Side note: Broadband and landline with BT is £30 a month I think, although I've got 6 months free use currently.
I'll pass that info on,was looking at freeview for them,but I know one of the channels they like to watch is CBS,I can actually get Cbs on the net.Just go on google play and search free TV.think the one I use is TV now or live TV,all the news channels,Dave,itv,bbc,4od,loads of them,I watch a lot of stuff on my phone mainly because of traveling around/laptop.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:07 AM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

Just checked mine , 80 quid I pay too !

Removed movie package as it's crap , and got a Netflix account on eBay for 3 quid
Old 16 May 2015, 11:12 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Freeview on its own is sh1te, there's hardly any choice.

I had a look at the android boxes, they are nice, but the services/apps are lets face it run illegally and loads of them have already been shut down. So if you are dependant on getting your TV content from one, don't rely on it.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:13 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Netflix doesn't stream F1, no good. Sky wont adjust my package so that i can just have F1 without paying for the other sport channels either, due to how my account/contract was originally setup years ago.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:15 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
They are all as bad, stupid bundles, stupid pricing, LINE RENTAL , and above all, year on year price rises.

If you stay with any of them they cr@p on you, only giving to new clients.

Meanwhile, over in France, my "bundle" went down from €33.60 a month to €30 a month, because I was a loyal customer.

And for that I get 160 TV channels, 10MB broadband, (we aat the end of a phone line and can't have more at present), plus UNLIMITED landline calls to anywhere in the world, 24/7/365 for free, and NO LINE RENTAL.

The UK companies are taking the **** for sure Rip Off Britain is alive and well.
That's bollocks, we've been with Sky for donkeys years and all we have to do is suggest we'll leave and they throw free stuff at us.

Quick Reply: Are sky taking the piss.....