Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Scam" cards for UK workers......

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2015, 09:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default "Scam" cards for UK workers......

The like of CSCS and Passport to Safety.

Who the fek came up with these scams?

My eldest needs to RENEW a CSCS card so he can get work this summer. It costs £17.50 for a retest, then £30 for the card.

And if you aren't already IN work, you pay it yourself.

It's just a tax on workers.
Old 04 May 2015, 09:20 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Depends, shows you have some sort of competancy.

Would you rather they did nothing and people got hurt?
Old 04 May 2015, 09:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had one I have never since they came out ever have been asked to show mine on any site I have visited - a pointless card really it doesn't prove anyone is safer having one just that they knew the answers to questions.
Old 05 May 2015, 06:45 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
Depends, shows you have some sort of competancy.

Would you rather they did nothing and people got hurt?
That's right, I've been asked for mine many times, on nearly all large construction sites if you have no card you will not get work.
Old 05 May 2015, 06:59 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar to driving now except we have to pay to renew our digital tacho card,normal driving licence,and pay for the cpc course and have to complete five different modules pay for each one every five years week course.plus then if you got extra things like hazardous goods etc.Its all about paying money to carry bits of plastic in your wallet.
Old 05 May 2015, 07:55 PM
scooby1994
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all the sites i go on insist on an induction and card check, if you have no card you are refused entry to site
Old 05 May 2015, 08:37 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There needs to be some kind of standard so you don't have anyone just wandering onto a construction site without having any idea of their competency with anything. Doesn't always mean much, but with plant like the telehandler the standard of driving is definitely improving with stricter card schemes and the need now on almost all big sites for a blue NVQ card.

Likewise with cherry pickers and other mewps, previously IPAF was enough. Now all the big main contractors insist on IPAF + which is a stricter test. Working in construction is getting more difficult but it's a safer place to work.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 05 May 2015 at 09:25 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2015, 08:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Always worked in the past, for YEARS before someone came up with this scam. The employer was responsible for induction/safety/training.

Now they farm it off to these know-nothings. Who promptly charge decent wack for it.

Typical UK now........

And as for getting hurt? Really????????

The local steelworks used to employ literally HUNDREDS of students every year for the summer, when I was younger. They had a half day induction and used common sense. None got hurt...what's changed?
Old 05 May 2015, 09:49 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

A colleague of mine was killed a few years ago when he carried out a task he hadn't been trained to do. At the inquest it was explained how his spinal cord detached from his brain due to the force exerted on his body, he was killed instantly. The same would not happen now as only those who are trained and competent in that particular area would carry out the work. Yes it is a pain in the **** and expensive but in some industries has saved many serious injuries and prevented many a fatality.
Old 05 May 2015, 10:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Always worked in the past, for YEARS before someone came up with this scam. The employer was responsible for induction/safety/training.

Now they farm it off to these know-nothings. Who promptly charge decent wack for it.

Typical UK now........

And as for getting hurt? Really????????

The local steelworks used to employ literally HUNDREDS of students every year for the summer, when I was younger. They had a half day induction and used common sense. None got hurt...what's changed?
The employer still is responsible for all that. The company I work for puts me through all tickets. Any half-decent outfit does. Admittedly the card schemes make things harder for the self-employed, but the argument on safety still stands. A steel works might be one thing... my dad worked for one. He said the unions had it so he hardly had to lift a finger... maybe that's why no one got hurt - because they didn't do anything. Although I would be surprised if none of those hundreds got hurt like you say.

People do get hurt on building sites and they did to a greater extent when things were much more relaxed. Now more of the responsibility is on the individual with the card and the standards are definitely getting higher every year, although it still beggars belief what you see people doing at times! I have worked with no consideration to health and safety and I've worked on some of the strictest sites, and I much prefer the latter. To be honest it's a totally different ball game and actually an enjoyable challenge trying to keep to a program/targets while working within the rules.

Some of the schemes may well be stretching it and trying to rip people off, but still overall a good thing in my opinion.