Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

North Wales, well Rhyl actually

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2015, 11:03 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default North Wales, well Rhyl actually

So my lad has been on about going to the seaside over the current holidays, so today I was off to buy a new car for da Mrs by Oldham so thought we'd make a bit of a day of it and kill 2 birds.

My Mrs summed it up as we walked down the "promenade" when she suddenly said. "There's an awful lot of care in the community people here"

Small amounts of the surrounding area were Almost nice, but bloody hell they do seem a bit challenged out that way.

Had some decent fish and chips mind.

Anyone that's never been, don't bother.
Old 13 April 2015, 11:22 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only live an hour from there.

Biggest **** hole in North Wales

How many sheep did you bum?

Last edited by Ooperbum; 13 April 2015 at 11:28 PM.
Old 13 April 2015, 11:25 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

That's a bit of an stretch, Oldham to Rhyl!!!
Old 13 April 2015, 11:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Ditchmyster, Rhyl is quite different to many other seaside places in North Wales. I find it difficult to call it a dump, because some people do have to live in that dump. Oh, sh7t, I've just called it a dump! You could have gone to better seaside places in North Wales, I suppose. We go further towards Anglesey, to see the sea.
Old 14 April 2015, 07:53 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ooperbum
That's a bit of an stretch, Oldham to Rhyl!!!
Well I almost went to Lincoln to buy a Rover 400 but the Mrs didn't like the colour (women) we'd have headed a little further north to some bay one of her mates and the child minder bang on about, but being as we were going to spend half the day going to Oldham and back and the bloke wasn't going to be in till after 4pm, I thought straight up the A50 into north wales and hit the beach via the most direct route and then tootle along the coast a bit before heading back via Oldham.

To be fair the place was like many a UK seaside town, a bit kiss me quick with a load of tat shops and arcades, my god the British are so devoid of any culture beyond Bingo and fish & chips But Jesus H Christ the people were some sort of sub-set of the human race I'm far from well to do or snobbery being a council estate kid but looking at that lot brings Zombie movies to mind.

St. Davids is much nicer and has better quality clientele
Old 14 April 2015, 08:21 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure they weren't bused in ?.. from Manc for example

Were any of them constantly muttering vitriolic diatribe , possibly football related ( but could be anything) under their breath. ????
Old 14 April 2015, 10:23 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Rhyl is horrid. They have a bad drugs problem there, unemployment, it's generally run down.

It used to be quite nice, but dipped at the end of the 70s and really went down in the 80s. It's a real eye sore on what is otherwise a beautiful coast. Best thing that could happen to Rhyl is a tsunami

I feel sorry for the people that have to live there. Hell, I feel sorry for people that visit there!
Old 14 April 2015, 02:17 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

Originally Posted by Geezer
Rhyl is horrid. They have a bad drugs problem there, unemployment, it's generally run down.

It used to be quite nice, but dipped at the end of the 70s and really went down in the 80s. It's a real eye sore on what is otherwise a beautiful coast. Best thing that could happen to Rhyl is a tsunami

I feel sorry for the people that have to live there. Hell, I feel sorry for people that visit there!
People are not as old as you, granpa!!

But yes, full of smack heads lazy work shy scum!!!
Old 14 April 2015, 02:21 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

To be fair it's full of dole scroungers spending their loose change at a arcade looking for money for their next hit. 90% pf them ar scousers with 10 kids

Last edited by Ooperbum; 14 April 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 14 April 2015, 02:22 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Well I almost went to Lincoln to buy a Rover 400 but the Mrs didn't like the colour (women) we'd have headed a little further north to some bay one of her mates and the child minder bang on about, but being as we were going to spend half the day going to Oldham and back and the bloke wasn't going to be in till after 4pm, I thought straight up the A50 into north wales and hit the beach via the most direct route and then tootle along the coast a bit before heading back via Oldham.

To be fair the place was like many a UK seaside town, a bit kiss me quick with a load of tat shops and arcades, my god the British are so devoid of any culture beyond Bingo and fish & chips But Jesus H Christ the people were some sort of sub-set of the human race I'm far from well to do or snobbery being a council estate kid but looking at that lot brings Zombie movies to mind.

St. Davids is much nicer and has better quality clientele
Venture toward Anglesey next time, Ditch.

You will walk on the remote beaches like this....:

....and some Welsh entertainments like that on your way, too :

Old 14 April 2015, 09:15 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Yeah Rhyl is just it's own sad world. Makes Blackpool look almost classy.
Talacre is much nicer and just down the road from Rhyl.
Or beaches on the Wirral are nice too.
Old 14 April 2015, 09:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Talacre is much nicer and just down the road from Rhyl.
Yeah, loads of kids go there with their metal detectors to find the WW2 bits n' pieces.
Old 15 April 2015, 06:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Well at least it wasn't just me and the Mrs being snobs then

We only went there as it was (on the map at least) quickest point at which we could hit the beach, with a toilet stop it was the best part of a 3hr journey so another hour or so to Anglesey and then the run back to Oldham would have been a bit of a bridge too far for a day trip with a dog and a 7yr old.

I must say there are an awful lot of statics and caravans there, though what folks see in the main town is beyond me. It also seems quite heavily populated if the number of houses is anything to go by, also no shortage of industry with a couple of power station looking things and large industrial areas, when heading along the coast road back towards manc land, the sea looked rather brown, I think I've been spoilt by Croatia and the warm clear blue sea.

The photos swati posted look nice though.
Old 16 April 2015, 12:04 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Pembrokeshire would have been a better shout - it's lovely here.

I went to Rhyl once. No chance of it happening again
Old 16 April 2015, 12:11 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Rhyl is a pill and should only be taken when you want to end it painfully!

It's the coastal version of Merthyr Tydfil (see the new season of Skint on Ch 4)
Old 16 April 2015, 11:17 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hey, Ditch! Next time..............

......If you want to camp close to the calm sea:

If you want to camp even closer to the calm sea:

If you want to walk along the rhythmic sea:

So, don’t give up on North Wales sea just because Rhyl disappointed you. Travel further up along the coast, and see some awesome ocean.
Old 17 April 2015, 05:43 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rhyl is very run down! It's a shame as it could be really nice if it had a few ££ spent there by the council!

Barkby beach in Prestatyn is really nice, especially on a hot day!
Old 17 April 2015, 09:29 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Swat is right , there are some lovely places to visit in North Wales, I was in deganwy last night staying in the Quay hotel which is stunning. Drive back down through wales equally as good today. A lovely country is Wales
Old 18 April 2015, 06:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I know Wales is a lovely place as I have spent quite a bit of time there over the years, the wife has family there too. I spend most of my time in Pembrokeshire though, I once did a horse riding weekend in the hills above Port Talbot, didn't think much to PT but it was nice where we stayed in some log cabins on a farm and the cross country course was good and challenging in places.
Old 18 April 2015, 07:46 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Spent my childhood at our holiday chalet in Abererch. Come 6 week hols , that's where we were

Happy days :-)
Old 18 April 2015, 08:01 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to spend a lot of time holiday's as a child Wales.I sometimes wonder what the towns are like now,places such as Aberdovey,Towyn,Fairbourne,Barmouth,Aberystwyth,ph welli,Cardigan,Tenby.
Old 18 April 2015, 08:39 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Withernsea is very much like Rhyl unfortunately.
Old 18 April 2015, 01:56 PM
craig5
Scooby Regular

Rhyl is a dive but thought coming from Oldham ud been right at home as it's a dive there too without the sea :-)
Old 18 April 2015, 02:22 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Rhyl is that bad that it'd be on the top 10 places for illegal immigrants to avoid, Paul Calf used to go there for his holidays.
Old 18 April 2015, 02:38 PM
Ooperbum
BANNED

Originally Posted by craig5
Rhyl is a dive but thought coming from Oldham ud been right at home as it's a dive there too without the sea :-)
Home from home
Old 18 April 2015, 03:09 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just come back from a motorhome tour of Wales .. I enjoyed it but I stayed local to Rhyl for the first night and it was like being on a council estate (no offense).

Read some reviews and they talked about drugs and young slappers .. (I looked but couldn't find either, gutted)
Old 18 April 2015, 05:14 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I've just come back from a motorhome tour of Wales .. I enjoyed it but I stayed local to Rhyl for the first night and it was like being on a council estate (no offense).

Read some reviews and they talked about drugs and young slappers .. (I looked but couldn't find either, gutted)

I think you'd have had to sneakily escape the motorhome one night, and go for an unleashed p1ss up in Rhyl for that. I don't think your missus and kids would have been impressed to have you back all disoriented and dishevelled, though. Then you would have had to spend all remaining nights on Rhyl park benches by yourself or with the druggies, while your missus and kids would have enjoyed the luxury of your motorhome for the rest of the time there.

Last edited by Turbohot; 18 April 2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 19 April 2015, 06:45 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DYK
Used to spend a lot of time holiday's as a child Wales.I sometimes wonder what the towns are like now,places such as Aberdovey,Towyn,Fairbourne,Barmouth,Aberystwyth,ph welli,Cardigan,Tenby.
Been to most of them recently, Towyn is a bit grim (nowt compared to Rhyl though!), Barmouth is a bit chavvy, but in a beautiful setting, Phwlleli the same, the others are still nice though (well, i haven't been to cardigan).

Tenby is a lovely place.
Old 19 April 2015, 10:05 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot

I think you'd have had to sneakily escape the motorhome one night, and go for an unleashed p1ss up in Rhyl for that. I don't think your missus and kids would have been impressed to have you back all disoriented and dishevelled, though. Then you would have had to spend all remaining nights on Rhyl park benches by yourself or with the druggies, while your missus and kids would have enjoyed the luxury of your motorhome for the rest of the time there.

Old 19 April 2015, 10:17 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcprFZqIIAA_4D0.jpg
I won't get kicked out of my family motorhome for a one night wonder and some drugs, with a condom in my pocket, mate. Teenagers do that sort of thing, but not a 30+ man.

Quick Reply: North Wales, well Rhyl actually