Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone om here own a C B R 600 FX

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 08:25 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Edited due to commercial advertising, and the fact that Mr Ar$ekew cant read or write!!!!

[Edited by Shaun - 6/6/2002 1:30:17 PM]
Old 05 June 2002, 01:22 PM
RAZZ
Scooby Regular

As subject says, as i'm thinking of buying one & what are they like compared to zx6r, gsxr600 & the r6?
Old 05 June 2002, 01:51 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't own one but can give a balanced view.

I have a CBR900RRW...

The CBR is a good all rounder.. but not very good at anything other than reliability.
Will handle okay and accellerate okay etc, comfortable to ride long distances...
R6 will handle very well, accellerate very well, but uncomfortable for long periods of riding and build quality is not as good as the CBR.
GSXR600R is very similar to the R6, although people may argue the toss over the two but both more track orientated than road..
The CBR is more a road bike.. the ZXR is similar to the CBR really although maybe slightly quicker..

Depends what you are after.. weekend thrash for an hour or two and the odd track day then you want an R6 or GSX.
Everyday comute then you want the CBR... bit of both then perhaps the ZXR. Take a test ride on all of them and see what you think.

Good luck

JGM
Old 05 June 2002, 04:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I dislike CBR600's with a passion because they're a little boring, but they're actually a very good bike!

If you're not an expert rider, you'll probably be faster riding a CBR than either the R6 or GSXR (I own a GSXR) in the real world, but once you start going faster you'll find the GSXR or R6 more fun if fun for you is raw, edgy, dodgy build quality, only makes sense when going for it hard etc. If you're going to do track days go with the Yammy or Suzook.

The Kwak bridges the gap quite nicely between the "all rounder" and "head banger" bikes (again, personal opinion, but I hate Kawasaki's).

It's like comparing a Westfield(GSXR or R6) against a Scooby (ZX-6R) against an M3 (CBR) all good cars, but in different ways. You can't go wrong with any of them really.
Old 05 June 2002, 08:52 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Would you swap my 97 GSX-R600 for a TL1000R or a GSXR750 (straight swap?)
Old 05 June 2002, 11:14 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Razz,

Can speak with some knowledge here. My missus bought one just over two years ago. great build quality, handling etc. Only thing I hated about the bike was the extreemly annoying hole in the power band at about 6,000rpm. We were told the a Dynojet kit would sort this out though. No other problems though.
We've just swapped it for a R6 because the seat, although the same height is slightly narrrower, so 'er in doors can reach the floor a lot better. It's got a slightly more aggresive riding position and the steering/handling a a bit sharper. The biggest difference is the way it makes the powere. Although 10bhp more ther the 110bhp CBR, the delivery is a lot smoother and with more low down torque, quite a revalation. The build quality isn't as good but it's a lot better than the last time I had a Yam.

I know what i'd buy.

If you want some more info, feel free to drop me a mail.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 05 June 2002, 11:48 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

NotoriousREV - cant do appraisal without seeing yer bike...if yer serious drop me a line..

Trending Topics

Old 06 June 2002, 12:30 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

There's a really good midrange review ( and a free demon tweeks book) in this months SuperBike magazine. It has the CBR, GSXR, R6, ZX6R, 748 and the TT.... Triumph? can't remember!

Anyhoo, it's a right good read!

Anybody got any thoughts on a bike for me, I've not passed mi test yet, want to do it this year tho, I fancy a ZX6R, is that a bit daft for a first bike?

Bob
Old 06 June 2002, 08:04 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

The CBR600 (in all guises) is a bit less manic than the opposition, though no slower despite this (unless you're a racer, that is). I had an FV model and kept up with all sorts of quick people on quick bikes and left a lot of them behind too - not because I'm brilliant (I'm not) but becaue the CBR lets you use all the power a lot more of the time than the R6 or GSX-R600.

The others make you think you're doing 80mph when you're actually doing 60 ..... the Honda makes you think you're doing 60 when you're doing 80. Depends what you want.

Bros

Old 06 June 2002, 09:23 AM
ukhuskynox
Scooby Regular

I've got an FX, it's not a bad bike,perhaps a bit bland, but has not let me down, I ride it every day to work...it lives outside in all weathers and the finish is holding up ok. All in all it's a good bike, but give me a supermoto anytime !!!!
Old 06 June 2002, 01:22 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was looking to buy an FX but instead I chose a new CBR600 F2 because I could import one from Holland for about £800 more than was being asked for a 2-3 year old bike. Apart from the obvious 'knowing the history of a new bike, new tyres, chain, sprockets, warranty' the newer bike has had a major workover and is now lighter and more rewarding to ride. Also the new bike is fuel injected (the FX has carbs), this gives it a more even, smoother spread of power, though you still have to be beyond 7000 revs to get the best out of it.

When choosing which brand to get I decided I wanted a bike that was comfortable on the back (for 'er indoors) and a comfortable distance bike/commuter which eliminated both the R6 and GSXR as they are neither. After reading all the articles etc I decided that I'd go for the CBR over the Kwack because of quality of build, residuals and it's now a group lower on insurance (new ZX6R is 636cc, grp 15).

From what I've read, the 'previous' generation of CBR600 became a bit stale and that the ZX6R is the better bike. If you're buying new though there isn't much to choose from as they are all similar in performance terms (the only choice is whether you want a track oriented bike or a commutable bike). It's down to personal opinions. Try to get a test ride on each type, especially to compare the CBR and ZX6 and then choose.

Steve.
Old 06 June 2002, 01:56 PM
RAZZ
Scooby Regular

Question

Steve
If you don't mind me asking, what would a CBR 600 F2 cost brand new imported from Holland ???????, i have actually bought a CBR 600 FX on an S-plate and the bike has been imported from the USA and it has 3200 miles on the clock, i think the bike's great as i have been on my mates R6 and find it very uncomfortable, but i have not experienced the Kwak.

RAZZ.
Old 06 June 2002, 02:26 PM
Steve Howat
Scooby Regular

Hi Razz

I don’t mind you asking, I paid £5600 for it with a 3 year warranty and Meta alarm. What I failed to mention is you do usually get security included with a second hand bike but I obviously had to get this fitted. When I was looking the 2 – 3 year old bikes were between £4200 - £4800, one bike was £4400 with 16k miles on it. I opted to pay the extra, have a new bike that you determine the history of and aren’t likely to need to fork out on tyres, sprockets etc in the near future (which can total the difference in price alone) and is supposed to be a much better bike than the previous versions. However if I couldn’t have found the extra cash I’d still have bought a FX because of resale values, comfort, bullet proof build quality and I like the look of them.

Have fun and enjoy (if we ever get any decent weather )

Steve
Old 06 June 2002, 03:21 PM
kenb@manx
Scooby Regular

CBR is a great bike, unless you do track days there's nothing to choose between the new 600's and on the roads in the real world, they'll give the 1000's a nightmare (turn better etc). Trust me, I know, I have a thou and can't shake the buggers under most circumstances!
Old 06 June 2002, 03:47 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

when i was looking i considered a cbr and a zx6. Was told by a dealer that there wasn't a great deal to choose between the two.

i opted for the zx6 because it felt a little more comfortable. Suggest you test ride and choose the one you like best. Am told the gsxr and r6 can be a bit of a handful but quickest on tracks.
Old 06 June 2002, 08:00 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

i have a CBr sport. If you want a bike that does everything commute, touring, track days get a CBR600. If you want a bike mostly for track days get an R6 or an GSXR.
I test rode the CBR and the R6 and found the CBR a better day to day bike. The R6 can be a bit twitchy.
The tank range of the CBR is a bit poor though.
Old 06 June 2002, 09:19 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

nope,

I have one of these...

Old 06 June 2002, 09:23 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Shaun you is a git
Old 07 June 2002, 09:30 AM
RAZZ
Scooby Regular

Wink

Woah !!!!!!!!!, my CBR is nice but that is what you call a cruising machine.

RAZZ.

p.s. what kind of miles can you get on a full tank on the 600FX ???

Old 07 June 2002, 11:20 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

oh well, if we're showing off :