Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Osborne - spinning himself into a mess

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2015, 10:18 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Osborne - spinning himself into a mess

In every key economic speech Osborne has made since being 'elected' chancellor he has stressed the importance of a 2% inflation rate in that it should not deviate up or down from it by more than 0.5% ideally in order to 'keep the recovery on track'.

So this week's announcement that inflation is now at just 0.5% was met with dismay by Mr. Osborne yes? Nope, he tweeted:

""Inflation is 0.5% - lowest level in modern times. Welcome news with family budgets going further & economic recovery starting to be widely felt".

So what will he say when it gets back 'on target'?

Welcome news with family budgets going less far and economic recovery now being less widely felt.

Why can't they just tell the truth for once in their lives????
Old 15 January 2015, 10:21 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Im still worse off since the recession started and not one single pay rise but lots of cuts around 50% of my wage. The only people who are benefiting from the recovery are the rich
Old 15 January 2015, 10:25 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Think its very dependant on sector. Market sector im in it's now hard to find decent staff so wage is going up and up
Old 15 January 2015, 10:37 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
In every key economic speech Osborne has made since being 'elected' chancellor he has stressed the importance of a 2% inflation rate in that it should not deviate up or down from it by more than 0.5% ideally in order to 'keep the recovery on track'.

So this week's announcement that inflation is now at just 0.5% was met with dismay by Mr. Osborne yes? Nope, he tweeted:

""Inflation is 0.5% - lowest level in modern times. Welcome news with family budgets going further & economic recovery starting to be widely felt".

So what will he say when it gets back 'on target'?

Welcome news with family budgets going less far and economic recovery now being less widely felt.

Do you think that people living way way beyond their means before the recession has magnified the feeling of being worse off?
Plus my second question. How do you think the UK has done relative to the rest of Europe?
Old 15 January 2015, 10:40 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Im still worse off since the recession started and not one single pay rise but lots of cuts around 50% of my wage. The only people who are benefiting from the recovery are the rich
Totally agree.
Have you really had 50% knocked off your salary? Ouch!
Old 15 January 2015, 10:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
Do you think that people living way way beyond their means before the recession has magnified the feeling of being worse off?Plus my second question. How do you think the UK has done relative to the rest of Europe?
Not sure what these questions have to do with the post, but here goes:

1) Yes of course people who were driving big cars and living in big houses all financed way beyond sensible levels will feel worse off than those not doing so if it all gets taken away, but my personal feelings aren't with them as they are just idiots in my eyes. My feelings are with those people and families living more or less hand to mouth who have seen energy bills and the likes increase massively while their wages have effectively dropped.

2) The UK has undoubtedly performed quite well compared to the rest of Europe, but Sauber generally do better than Caterham in F1 and Sauber haven't won any championships .... if you get my drift. Someone said on here the other day that all the chancellor is doing right now is kicking the economic can down the road and that is precisely the right analogy. We are still massively in debt and have an income tax shortfall that wipes out many of Osborne's bold promises for the short term and now a VAT shortfall (due to fuel prices dropping) that will also have an effect.

My post was more to point out that either he is a) clueless or b) spinning the truth and hoping the electorate won't notice his contradictions.
Old 15 January 2015, 11:00 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

...Or both.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2015, 11:15 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Not sure what these questions have to do with the post, but here goes:.

Was because of this tiny little bit of your post plus i feel it's a fair comparison to compare the UK to the rest of Europe to help evaluate how well we're doing. Yes he lies but then so will everyone. If the end result is there then I'm inclined to give him a BIT of a break.

Sometimes the truth hurts, people put pressure on whether it's needed or not and with the opposite sides making it seem as if they could do the job with their eyes closed, him being honest would see them kicked out regardless of how well they did.
Old 15 January 2015, 11:16 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the reality is , bar tinkering at the "economic" edges, the politicians are pretty impotent in these days of "globalisation" and the free movement of capital

they tend to be subservient to these big global financial interests anyway
Old 15 January 2015, 11:30 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I bet he used "hard working families?" A line so over used, it could actually wear itself out soon.
Old 15 January 2015, 11:51 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
...plus i feel it's a fair comparison to compare the UK to the rest of Europe to help evaluate how well we're doing. ....
We're £1.5 trillion in debt..... and it's getting worse. Now compare that to other countries in Europe. Then how well do you think we are really doing?
Old 15 January 2015, 11:55 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We're £1.5 trillion in debt..... and it's getting worse. Now compare that to other countries in Europe. Then how well do you think we are really doing?
Successive governments have been VERY good at hiding this. 95% of people are so short termist in their thinking that they just don't care and get another car/sofa/house on the never never.
Old 15 January 2015, 12:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How much more are we in debt than other euro countries ?

France for example
Old 15 January 2015, 12:56 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I bet he used "hard working families?" A line so over used, it could actually wear itself out soon.
I want to punch them in the head - drives me insane. Such condissention.

In any case, what about (the majority of) people who 'just work' - you know, just to (lawfully) make a living for themselves...just to get by, etc.

Not everybody is a 'go-getter' or career-minded. Doesn't make them any less deserving though...
Old 15 January 2015, 01:08 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb

France for example
Any government will show you a pointless graph making things look rosy but they probably won't show you this one;

Old 15 January 2015, 01:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

what does "banking liabilities" mean
Old 15 January 2015, 01:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb

France for example
France

Germany

UK
Old 15 January 2015, 01:33 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I almost spat my coffee out the other day when Mr Osborne congratulated himself on the falling oil prices saying that is was 'all part of the plan'. Yes, George, lower VAT payments from one of if the largest tax revenue earners is great news for you and entirely inline with your recovery plans.

Complete and utter dumb ****. We need a law that states that any government party, whether in power or opposition, has to be open and honest about its plans, predictions and f&ck ups. If they aren't then they are fraudulent and should be dealt with accordingly.
Take Labours manifesto for example. There is a £30 billion black hole that they cannot explain. Do they really think people are that stupid? How the hell does he sleep at night?
And instead of offering any explanation, he just avoids the question like a typical politician. The times for bull**** are over. The world just cannot tolerate any more of these toffee nose, posh speaking ***** with no real sense of responsibility or understanding of the key issues facing our modern society.

I've given up caring to be honest. I favour no party anymore. Infact, I detest all of them. Admittedly, I don't know what the answer is, but I am far more interested in taking care of my family as opposed to aligning myself with a preferred party.

Such as shame as this is not what our veterans fought for is it?

Last edited by Gear Head; 15 January 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 15 January 2015, 01:33 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
what does "banking liabilities" mean

http://www.amosweb.com/cgi-bin/awb_n...nk+liabilities
Old 15 January 2015, 01:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Look how well we're doing

Last edited by dpb; 15 January 2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 15 January 2015, 01:52 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Look how well were doing
Look how well who were doing?
Old 15 January 2015, 02:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

ah OK

I suppose it is confusing because "household debt", presumably mostly to banks- actually shows up as an asset on a Banks balance sheet
Old 15 January 2015, 02:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Look how well we're doing
The key figure is the debt as a percentage of GDP. Go and look at Australia's ..... we're not doing well at all!
Old 15 January 2015, 02:14 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Much younger country with many more resources
Old 15 January 2015, 02:23 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Much younger country with many more resources
Irrelevant, you reckon we're doing well and we're not as I just showed you.
Old 15 January 2015, 02:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

All relative though isn't it , Europe is mostly down the ****ter. , but at least we're clinging to the rim
Old 15 January 2015, 04:11 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

and now a VAT shortfall (due to fuel prices dropping) that will also have an effect.
I am not convinced this is true.

If only10 people can afford to buy a tank of petrol at 80 quid a tank that is vat at 20% on 800 quid but drop the price so 20 people can now afford a tank of petrol at 60 quid a tank that is vat at 20% on 1200 quid.

Or am I missing something?
Old 15 January 2015, 04:42 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I am not convinced this is true.

If only10 people can afford to buy a tank of petrol at 80 quid a tank that is vat at 20% on 800 quid but drop the price so 20 people can now afford a tank of petrol at 60 quid a tank that is vat at 20% on 1200 quid.

Or am I missing something?
Because it doesn't work like that. Ultimately you are right, but in the short term people don't suddenly buy more fuel because its cheaper. People are conditioned to buying less, have found jobs nearer their homes, have got rid of the car etc. etc.

If prices stay low you may well be right, but as the chancellor found out when he raised VAT in the first month or so he got lots of extra revenue from fuel sales, but then it tailed off as people found ways to spend less on it. The same will happen in reverse..... it will slowly creep up, but not enough to not cause the treasury further issues.
Old 15 January 2015, 05:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

True.
I mothballed the Scoob and bought a small diesel (on credit, of course), which has done 2700 miles since May. Even though I now get 60+ mpg round town etc, and 75+ on the motorway, I just cannot bring myself to go places in it.

No Road Tax either, and the Scoob is SORN.
Old 15 January 2015, 06:02 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Totally agree.
Have you really had 50% knocked off your salary? Ouch!

I work on price and the prices I have now are 50% less than what they were before the recession started. Its took away all the money I would just waste on cars and holidays.

Quick Reply: Osborne - spinning himself into a mess