What sort of prices for a fitted kitchen

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2015, 01:46 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sort of prices for a fitted kitchen

Hi all

Just wondering if any of you had a new kitchen installed and was wondering what sort of prices to expect to pay.

Soon me and the wife are going to get a new fully fitted kitchen in our house
Never bought a new kitchen before as when we bought our house it had a new one in.
But now we want to upgrade it so it is much nicer.

I know they are expensive and we are prepared to get it all done
But just wanting to find out what sort of money to expect to pay for a nice one for our small kitchen space bought and fitted.

If there is anyone who reads this from aberdeen as well any recommendation on who to use for the job in the aberdeen area
Old 08 January 2015, 08:45 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid cheap appliances.
Old 08 January 2015, 08:53 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

my mum and dad had a wren kitchen, over 10k in th end , but they did a decent job and installed when they said they would etc
Old 08 January 2015, 09:30 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

we are currently doing a kitchen project

been quoted 12k, includes appliances - without worktops or fitting - but does include an Island - that was from Magnet
Old 08 January 2015, 09:32 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Try Ikea

Appliances from ao.com

Old 08 January 2015, 09:57 AM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Gd deals online for appliances, saved myself a few quid and got better.
Old 08 January 2015, 10:04 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine operating as a one man band did our kitchen. He showed me some pics of others he had done so I decided to let him have a crack. The units are all built of chestnut and he supplied and fitted everything, including plumbing, electrics and a dishwasher. The bill came to just short of £5k and that was 10 years ago, and it's all still pretty much as he left it.
As said above don't skimp on the quality, particularly the appliances.

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2015, 10:53 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

It really does vary massively,.. For a small kitchen anything from £3000 to £15,000 depending on material of cabinets and doors, work surfaces and appliance make ( badge snobbery)..

Tiling and flooring can add a few grand too..
Old 08 January 2015, 12:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Depends on what you want.

I've done ikea kitchens with their own appliances and cheap worktop for £5k fitted. If you want something German with Miele/Siemens appliances and Quartz/granite worktops you could be looking at £12k even for a small kitchen.

Good luck
Old 08 January 2015, 02:06 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Size make a difference too, how big is your kitchen!

You can spend from a few k to 10's if you wanted to but like others have said a decent kitchen would could 7 - 10k if you went for good equipment etc.

if you wanted to do it yourself you could probably half that as your labour is free
Old 08 January 2015, 02:53 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Hi lads cheers

My kitchen is relatively small

I will be going for either black granite work tops
Maybe solid wood as I also like them but most likely granite

There is a plasterboard wall between my kitchen and living room
So I might have that knocked down and go open plan.

For budget between 8k upto 13k or 14k.

Not too bothered the brand as long as it is nice and is durable.
Old 08 January 2015, 03:11 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

For that sort of budget, assuming your kitchen is small, you'll get a very nice kitchen.

Btw, I love open plan kitchens and have one myself, great when you have a young family.
Old 08 January 2015, 05:07 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizmo80
Hi lads cheers

My kitchen is relatively small

I will be going for either black granite work tops
Maybe solid wood as I also like them but most likely granite

There is a plasterboard wall between my kitchen and living room
So I might have that knocked down and go open plan.

For budget between 8k upto 13k or 14k.

Not too bothered the brand as long as it is nice and is durable.
We have black granite and it still looks amazing 7 years after we had it fitted. it's bloody expensive but well worth it.
Old 08 January 2015, 05:14 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
For that sort of budget, assuming your kitchen is small, you'll get a very nice kitchen.

Btw, I love open plan kitchens and have one myself, great when you have a young family.

yea love open plan my self as well.

seen online one of our neighbors open plan living room and kitchens
when they had their house up for sale a while back and wanted the same ever since,

our living room is a L shape to it so if I knocked down the wall we could extend our kitchen a little bit making it a bit bigger as our living room is pretty big,
Old 08 January 2015, 05:16 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
We have black granite and it still looks amazing 7 years after we had it fitted. it's bloody expensive but well worth it.

Thats pretty much sums up the reason I want granite its a 100 times more durable than wood
Old 08 January 2015, 06:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Mines close to 20K plus appliances. Big kitchen though (double the size it orginally was) with natural granite worktop and fireclay sink. Painted (sprayed) solid wood doors, and thicker carcasses.

Thats why I don't have a M135i on the drive. It paid for a fecking kitchen. FFS

Had granite before, its pretty good, but does show up the fingermarks easy. Nothing some Autoglym doesn't fix LOL
Old 08 January 2015, 07:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Horses for courses but I don't really like granite. I prefer the composite stone work tops ie quartz etc and it's what I'll be fitting in my new kitchen.

Ali, any chance you might post a pic of yours? It sounds really nice!
Old 08 January 2015, 07:07 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Just in the process of going to planning for a single storey side extension.
Building a new bigger utility and a bigger office.

Also knocking the existing kitchen/study/family room into one massive area.

I've also been researching kitchens and tbh, don't know where to start!
So much choice and costs.
Don't see the point in going mad on price as I know in 10 years we'll want to change it again.

Quite a few recommends for on-line retailer DIY Kitchens.
Just something I can't be arsed to do is schlep around kitchen places at weekends...
Old 08 January 2015, 08:35 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Laings in inverurie have a 'direct' section where you can buy and install yourself or get you own installer. We found them very helpful with design and working to a budget. Very happy with the kitchen we installed in 2014, cost £17k for German units that came assembled, all appliances and 40mm black Quartz worktop including a very large island top that nearly killed 3 of us lifting it in. We had a local joiner install it for us.
Old 08 January 2015, 09:22 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

I have wooden work top and need more maintenance that other types of work tops. Sanding down and varnishing etc every 6 months. Also have gloss black doors which show up marks easily.
Old 08 January 2015, 10:04 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Just in the process of going to planning for a single storey side extension.
Building a new bigger utility and a bigger office.

Also knocking the existing kitchen/study/family room into one massive area.

I've also been researching kitchens and tbh, don't know where to start!
So much choice and costs.
Don't see the point in going mad on price as I know in 10 years we'll want to change it again.

Quite a few recommends for on-line retailer DIY Kitchens.
Just something I can't be arsed to do is schlep around kitchen places at weekends...

I've done exactly that Zip, created a family living, eating and cooking area. Not quite finished yet but looking good so far. I'd post a pic but you know what some people on here are like.
Old 08 January 2015, 11:14 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I've done exactly that Zip, created a family living, eating and cooking area. Not quite finished yet but looking good so far. I'd post a pic but you know what some people on here are like.
Probably not worth the hassle Ding.

I'll also be accused of 'playing the geezer done well' card again....

Last edited by zip106; 08 January 2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08 January 2015, 11:25 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

To give you an idea, this is mine which I recently had done. It's my new build property so it was an easy blank canvas to work on. The kitchen is from Wren and the appliances I sourced myself (apart from the integrated dishwasher and drinks cooler).

The whole kitchen/diner is 6m x 7m. These pictures were taken shortly after I moved in and before I had my dining room table set, so I put my living room furniture set in the diner area until my table and chairs turned up. Saying this, the sofa's actually worked really well and we kept it like this for about a month but they are now in my living room. If it was my way I would have kept it like this and have the dining table and chairs in the carpeted front room.

Recent pic (I do have blue acrylic barstools sat under the overhang of the island to match the toaster and kettle [blue highlights was my theme]):

Cost wise, about £10k for basic gloss white slab units from Wren but still solid carcasses and of good quality, with a sparkly fleck black quartz worktop and upstand, integrated basic Neff dish washer and CDA wine cooler. Within the units, various extremely useful drawers for saucepan storage etc, integrated bins and more drawers in the island for trays and a lovely big cutlery drawer which I highly recommend. £4k of that was spent on the quartz worktop. Add £1.5k for fitting, £2.5k for Rangemaster cooker, RM splash back and RM extractor fan, £1.5k for Samsung fridge/freezer, £400 on double undermount sink and mixer tap, all of which I sourced myself.

So about £15-16k on what I would class as a designer looking kitchen. You could save a lot of money on budget appliances or by going for a chipboard laminate worktop but then I feel you lose the overall quality of appearance in general.

Apologies for iPhone pictures... haven't got round to taking proper finished pictures of the house yet but I'm getting there.

Last edited by LSherratt; 08 January 2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08 January 2015, 11:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

There must be a fetish for open plan on SN.... just doing mine prior to selling up. Basically living up North I needed something to help sell the house

Put simply the house was looking tired from when I built it in 1990 especially the living area and kitchen so decided to knock them and the dining room into one.... and move the kitchen and the boiler and the consumer unit and the.... and so it goes on :-)
Old 08 January 2015, 11:48 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Yep, and so it goes one....and gets more expensive!

At the same time as doing the alterations and new kitchen, we'll have to re-do our ensuite.
I'm forever fixing a leaky shower, and as it's above what will eventually be part of the kitchen (which is utility room at the moment), I can't be having it leaking anymore.

And a new oil fired boiler....

LSherrat - looks great mate
Old 08 January 2015, 11:48 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
To give you an idea, this is mine which I recently had done. It's my new build property so it was an easy blank canvas to work on. The kitchen is from Wren and the appliances I sourced myself (apart from the integrated dishwasher and drinks cooler).

The whole kitchen/diner is 6m x 7m. These pictures were taken shortly after I moved in and before I had my dining room table set, so I put my living room furniture set in the diner area until my table and chairs turned up. Saying this, the sofa's actually worked really well and we kept it like this for about a month but they are now in my living room. If it was my way I would have kept it like this and have the dining table and chairs in the carpeted front room.

Recent pic (I do have blue acrylic barstools sat under the overhang of the island to match the toaster and kettle [blue highlights was my theme]):

Cost wise, about £10k for basic gloss white slab units from Wren but still solid carcasses and of good quality, with a sparkly fleck black quartz worktop and upstand, integrated basic Neff dish washer and CDA wine cooler. Within the units, various extremely useful drawers for saucepan storage etc, integrated bins and more drawers in the island for trays and a lovely big cutlery drawer which I highly recommend. £4k of that was spent on the quartz worktop. Add £1.5k for fitting, £2.5k for Rangemaster cooker, RM splash back and RM extractor fan, £1.5k for Samsung fridge/freezer, £400 on double undermount sink and mixer tap, all of which I sourced myself.

So about £15-16k on what I would class as a designer looking kitchen. You could save a lot of money on budget appliances or by going for a chipboard laminate worktop but then I feel you lose the overall quality of appearance in general.

Apologies for iPhone pictures... haven't got round to taking proper finished pictures of the house yet but I'm getting there.

That is one nice looking set up you have got there.
Old 09 January 2015, 01:25 AM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Wow Lsherratt I am stunned on how beautiful your kitchen is mate

really looks fabulous pal
Old 09 January 2015, 05:48 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Looks good Lsherrat!
Old 09 January 2015, 07:29 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Having friends in the trade helped me 15 years ago
I managed secure a Sheraton solid pine kitchen woth full granite work tops ,neff dishwasher ,fridge and extra sink and main sink Belfast style and Italian stone flooring
Retail cost a whopping 42k in 1998 and I got it for 12k from the showroom display
Size was 26foot gallery style

Granite is worth it long time as it cleans up lovely and no chips or marks on it
Gave it a wash woth soap and water for a real shine
It will last me a lifetime this kitchen

Compare it to the cheap kitchens I used to put in when buying and selling houses 20 years ago I side TI but them from BQ / mfi and fit them myself
A five grand kitchen fitted was a little £2300 supply only
Not really hard to fir as they are very basic flat pack units to screw to the walls and top cupboards easy enough to hang
Hardest part is cutting work tops so you will of through a couple of saw blades so of your not confident get a joiner to cut them for you

Tiling is easy and fun to do as DIY tilers are £100/£150 per day
Old 09 January 2015, 07:39 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Wow LSherrat, that's rather impressive; what's the rest of the house like?!

My dad makes kitchens for big houses (and small sometimes) including their own; pretty impressive stuff but prices vary enormously; he can always easily undercut the better known big boys though; he's done a few holiday homes that have remote everything; so the hearing/water/etc is ready once you get there. Impressed me anyway.

Quick Reply: What sort of prices for a fitted kitchen