Whats left of the police.....

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2015, 09:28 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Whats left of the police.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...cuts-stay.html

This man hasn't a clue and I think if he continues he will destroy what is left of the police force/service

On the one hand, Osbourne says we are doing well - so why more cuts to the public sector....?

Just wondered what you thought.....?
Old 05 January 2015, 10:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...cuts-stay.html

This man hasn't a clue and I think if he continues he will destroy what is left of the police force/service

On the one hand, Osbourne says we are doing well - so why more cuts to the public sector....?

Osborne is basically lying. Now I know people will roll their eyes and say here he goes again, but this is not just me being anti government or whatever it's a fact.

His Autumn Statement was very carefully worded to only read out the bits that make things sound good. For instance he said unemployment is falling, but failed to say that it is due to lots of low paid jobs and zero hours contract positions hence the tax revenues are massively down on what he planned for. So much so that there will probably need to be a VAT rise later this year. Especially so now VAT on fuel is coming in at a lot less than he expected due to the massive drop in oil prices.

Therefore he has to keep cutting various things. With the NHS under the spotlight and education ring fenced, welfare spending still increasing despite his so called measures to prevent it services like the police are easy pickings for him.

Trouble is these politicians don't look beyond the obvious or ever consider the bigger picture.

For instance one of the reasons A&E departments are under the cosh is a massive increase in the number of people attending in the last ten years. One of the biggest increases is the number of people seen in winter after falls on ice and frosted paths/roads which is down to the fact councils have cut back on gritting due to trying to save money as directed by various governments.

Basically they are robbing Peter to pay Paul all the time and as someone said on here the other day metaphorically kicking the economic can down the road.

What is happening to the police is disgusting and soon it will come home to roost. But hey as long as Camo can wear his world statesman badge with pride and keep the foreign aid going out of the door everything will be alright eh? After all we're all in this together
Old 05 January 2015, 10:53 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame i was gonna say that Sting`s solo career has gone a bit quiet these days and not heard much from the other 2 either
Old 06 January 2015, 01:37 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm glad I git out when I did!

You lot still in there are going to get screwed over even harder than before.

I can easily see Response officers batting away even more jobs/getting PNBs signed for no complaints/using even more discretion just so they don't get tied up by trivial rubbish in case a proper job comes in.

If response officers end up knicking people for calling each other names instead of arresting granny rapists there will be an uproar. Because you have nothing better to do than operate speed cameras.

If only those who criticise the police had experience of actually doing the job.
Old 06 January 2015, 10:00 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 'cuts' we've had so far are just the tip of the iceberg, just tinkering around the edges; the deficit is still huge let alone the debt. This term has been the lube to get us used to things, the next term will be the shafting.

And I'm afraid it's a necessary evil, if we keep going as we are we'll be even more screwed. No lube.
Old 06 January 2015, 10:20 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Osborne is basically lying. Now I know people will roll their eyes and say here he goes again, but this is not just me being anti government or whatever it's a fact.

For instance he said unemployment is falling, but failed to say that it is due to lots of low paid jobs and zero hours contract positions _
I heard that the UK recently created more new jobs than the rest of Europe put together.

Plus if someone is choosing to take a low paying job then surely that is a choice over taking benefits and benefits pay is ok. To add further, zero hours contracts seem to be quite a good option for some people. I have seen the question asked on day time telly on a few occasions and it's always spoken of favourably by the people who have them.
Old 06 January 2015, 10:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'm glad I git out when I did!

You lot still in there are going to get screwed over even harder than before.

I can easily see Response officers batting away even more jobs/getting PNBs signed for no complaints/using even more discretion just so they don't get tied up by trivial rubbish in case a proper job comes in.

If response officers end up knicking people for calling each other names instead of arresting granny rapists there will be an uproar. Because you have nothing better to do than operate speed cameras.

If only those who criticise the police had experience of actually doing the job.
Agreed........but our force, (Dumberside), seems always to have funds available for speed cameras, ANPR cameras and patrol cars sitting catching motorists with no MoT, no RFL etc.

And while most folk's one and only contact with the police is the letter that appears demanding money with menaces, (and remember it's the ONLY time you HAVE to incriminate yourself), you CANNOT expect public sympathy.

Sorry etc.......

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2015, 10:54 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

isnt crime going down
Old 06 January 2015, 10:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carnut
I heard that the UK recently created more new jobs than the rest of Europe put together.
And 90% of them were low paid jobs and taken by immigrants? Yeah, I heard the same.

Originally Posted by Carnut
Plus if someone is choosing to take a low paying job then surely that is a choice over taking benefits and benefits pay is ok. To add further, zero hours contracts seem to be quite a good option for some people. I have seen the question asked on day time telly on a few occasions and it's always spoken of favourably by the people who have them.
All well and good, but my youngest spent three years at uni, came out with a small-house-sized debt and a degree in chemistry, and in three years, has STILL to find permanent work.

His girlfriend will graduate in 2016. She, too will have the debt, but bigger, (cheers Clegg you lying ****), and they will both go to Australia, taking their skills with them.

If they do, their repayments stop. The UK government loses the skills and the cash. Yet they are proliferating fixed term jobs. How can my kids start a home/family etc on a fixed term job?

As for the eldest, he's away at uni on an even bigger debt, and Cam-Moron has said he wants all young people to be in work, or education...then Osbourne decides that students can have a MAXIMUM of four years' loans from student finance........neatly excluding medicine and dentistry.......but it's not like we need doctors or dentists...is it?
Oh...wait.....

Joined up thinking? Tell me when you see any.
Old 06 January 2015, 12:02 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
isnt crime going down
It was until the cuts.

Wait for the next set of figures - the government have created a 'smoke screen' already by stating that until previously the police have not been recording crime properly. But this is rubbish as crime is massively on the increase - especially dwelling burglaries, shop thefts, robberies etc etc
Old 06 January 2015, 12:06 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Agreed........but our force, (Dumberside), seems always to have funds available for speed cameras, ANPR cameras and patrol cars sitting catching motorists with no MoT, no RFL etc.

And while most folk's one and only contact with the police is the letter that appears demanding money with menaces, (and remember it's the ONLY time you HAVE to incriminate yourself), you CANNOT expect public sympathy.

Sorry etc.......
Happy New Year Alcazar......

You still need a traffic element to the police though; and most public have a gripe with other road users who speed, are not insured, not taxed etc etc

A lot of forces are now merging traffic units with neighbouring forces or merging them with ARV - a way of making it look as though there is more officers than there really is
Old 06 January 2015, 12:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

And 90% of them were low paid jobs and taken by immigrants? Yeah, I heard the same.

All well and good, but my youngest spent three years at uni, came out with a small-house-sized debt and a degree in chemistry, and in three years, has STILL to find permanent work.

His girlfriend will graduate in 2016. She, too will have the debt, but bigger, (cheers Clegg you lying ****), and they will both go to Australia, taking their skills with them.

If they do, their repayments stop. The UK government loses the skills and the cash. Yet they are proliferating fixed term jobs. How can my kids start a home/family etc on a fixed term job?

As for the eldest, he's away at uni on an even bigger debt, and Cam-Moron has said he wants all young people to be in work, or education...then Osbourne decides that students can have a MAXIMUM of four years' loans from student finance........neatly excluding medicine and dentistry.......but it's not like we need doctors or dentists...is it?
Oh...wait.....

Joined up thinking? Tell me when you see any.

All well and good, but without student loans how do you propose the finances would work to run the uni's. I'm paying for my daughter to go through uni now which is costly but she will have a job at the end of it luckily (nursing). A big problem is so many kids go to uni these days and do worthless degrees which are of little benfit to them in later life. There are I think too many going to uni as well, after all there are only so many jobs that you need a degree to do.
Old 06 January 2015, 12:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

That's what you get with governments that set stupid targets to be able to say 'look how much better we are doing than the other lot'.

As alcazar rightly says no joined up thinking whatsoever!

It's pathetic!
Old 06 January 2015, 05:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
All well and good, but without student loans how do you propose the finances would work to run the uni's.
Errrrrrrrr...same way as it does in Jockland?

I'm paying for my daughter to go through uni now which is costly but she will have a job at the end of it luckily (nursing). A big problem is so many kids go to uni these days and do worthless degrees which are of little benfit to them in later life. There are I think too many going to uni as well, after all there are only so many jobs that you need a degree to do.
Agree wholeheartedly. A whole generation lied to and wasted...thanks again Lying Labour......

What happened to SRN/SEN? Why do nurses need a degree?
Old 06 January 2015, 05:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Happy New Year Alcazar......

You still need a traffic element to the police though; and most public have a gripe with other road users who speed, are not insured, not taxed etc etc

A lot of forces are now merging traffic units with neighbouring forces or merging them with ARV - a way of making it look as though there is more officers than there really is
Of course we need traffic......but cameras aren't the way. Lazy policing and cause the public to see you as auxiliary tax-gatherers.

How many folk on the phone, tailgating, not paying attention, not giving way, not stopping at stop signs...can ANY of those cameras catch?

If all the policing you want to do is take a picture and send the bill, you aren't worth our money and you shouldn't be surprised when most of the pubic not only dislike you, but wouldn't go to the end of their garden to help you.

Sorry..the truth hurts.

A few chief constables want kicking up their ***** then to grow a set.
Old 06 January 2015, 07:10 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Errrrrrrrr...same way as it does in Jockland?
With taxpayers money then? So where do you propose to find the billions of pounds to fund that?

Agree wholeheartedly. A whole generation lied to and wasted...thanks again Lying Labour......

What happened to SRN/SEN? Why do nurses need a degree?
Apparently so they have the necessary knowledge and application of this knowledge for critical thinking and decision making purposes. The training is a lot more in depth than it used to be which in theory can only be a good thing.
Old 06 January 2015, 07:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

With taxpayers money then? So where do you propose to find the billions of pounds to fund that?
Errrrrrrrrrrr...same place the Sweaties do?
Old 06 January 2015, 10:41 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

So from the taxpayer. What will you cut though to fund it? Money doesn't grow on trees Jeff.
Old 06 January 2015, 11:54 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Of course we need traffic......but cameras aren't the way. Lazy policing and cause the public to see you as auxiliary tax-gatherers.

How many folk on the phone, tailgating, not paying attention, not giving way, not stopping at stop signs...can ANY of those cameras catch?

If all the policing you want to do is take a picture and send the bill, you aren't worth our money and you shouldn't be surprised when most of the pubic not only dislike you, but wouldn't go to the end of their garden to help you.

Sorry..the truth hurts.

A few chief constables want kicking up their ***** then to grow a set.
Was going to highlight a few bits but basically agree with all.
Old 07 January 2015, 06:20 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Always focus on traffic issues....?

"If all the policing you want to do is take a picture....." no, the policing i want to do (and indeed do) involves burglaries, thefts, domestic violence, public order, missing from homes, sudden deaths, misuse of drugs, harassment, stalking, fraud etc etc

These are getting impossible to do with the cuts

No, cameras wont catch people on phones or tailgating etc but, but chances are the 3-4 traffic cars that are out there wont anyway. Do you want to ignore all the people speeding or not insured, MOT'd then? Or just wait and hope that a traffic car will eventually pull them and hand them a fine. I just can't see a problem if we have a few static cameras here and there to catch a few in the mean time - or do you have a better way....?
Old 07 January 2015, 07:33 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Can you shed any light on to this Felix? Is this how police authorities work, spending so much money on guarding a door?!
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...etention_costs

Last edited by Maz; 07 January 2015 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07 January 2015, 07:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the reply.
Old 07 January 2015, 08:04 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the simple truth is the police believe themselves to be a "special case"

The problem is, as is evident from scoobynet, most people believe they are a "special case"

It reminds me of an old Peter Ustinov story about a soviet official trying to jump the regular bread queue - back in the 70's when the soviet system was in full swing (and self destructing)

Queues, for simple stuff like bread and milk we an every day "hazard" for soviet citizens

As the soviet official walk to the front of the queue - he had to address the howls of protest from the people already queuing

He proudly produced his communist party members cards - that allowed him to go to the front of food queues

People in the queue pointed out that this WAS the queue for people with communist party members cards - and to get to the back of it

Everyone is a special case - lol

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 07 January 2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07 January 2015, 08:54 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Love the reply.
I thought it was a wind up at first. Nine grand a day! No flipping wonder there's no money in the pot.
Old 07 January 2015, 10:49 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Police have their own 'Get Out of Jail Free' card.

But it wouldn't surprise me if they were spending £6 million to keep an eye on
Lasange.
The 'Establishment' are absolutely paranoid about not having complete control of the internet.Some one makes waves & suddenly he's a sex offender!
Obama was ranting about how we (he really means the authorities) need more control of the internet after the film 'The Interview' debacle.

We will be well and truly stuffed if we give them an inch.
Old 07 January 2015, 01:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

So from the taxpayer. What will you cut though to fund it? Money doesn't grow on trees Jeff.
I dunno chip...what do the sweaties do without to fund it?
Old 07 January 2015, 01:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Always focus on traffic issues....?

"If all the policing you want to do is take a picture....." no, the policing i want to do (and indeed do) involves burglaries, thefts, domestic violence, public order, missing from homes, sudden deaths, misuse of drugs, harassment, stalking, fraud etc etc

These are getting impossible to do with the cuts
Agreed, give these priority, they involve crimes where people and/or property is hurt/stolen.

No, cameras wont catch people on phones or tailgating etc but, but chances are the 3-4 traffic cars that are out there wont anyway. Do you want to ignore all the people speeding or not insured, MOT'd then? Or just wait and hope that a traffic car will eventually pull them and hand them a fine. I just can't see a problem if we have a few static cameras here and there to catch a few in the mean time - or do you have a better way....?
But when speeding is simply going over an abitrary limit, hurts no-one etc, WHY is the policing of it given so much time/money? Unless it's all about the revenue?

As for Tax, I don't give a fig if a car isn't taxed, and all the bulldroppings about "If it's not taxed then.....blah blah/...." are just so much pap.

Ditto MoT, although to a lesser extent. We were scammed by government into a harder MoT every TWO years, to get us inline with Europe, then they dropped the two years back to one again. So people forget? So what? Send out reminders like for tax...if it's soooooooo important? Otherwise, they need to shut up.

If we spent the money NOW spent on cameras, fixed and mobile, we could maybe afford a few more officers on patrol?

And we might even have money to spend on people/property that HAVE been damaged instead of chasing those that just might do so.......
Old 07 January 2015, 10:32 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Agreed, give these priority, they involve crimes where people and/or property is hurt/stolen.

But when speeding is simply going over an abitrary limit, hurts no-one etc, WHY is the policing of it given so much time/money? Unless it's all about the revenue?

As for Tax, I don't give a fig if a car isn't taxed, and all the bulldroppings about "If it's not taxed then.....blah blah/...." are just so much pap.

Ditto MoT, although to a lesser extent. We were scammed by government into a harder MoT every TWO years, to get us inline with Europe, then they dropped the two years back to one again. So people forget? So what? Send out reminders like for tax...if it's soooooooo important? Otherwise, they need to shut up.

If we spent the money NOW spent on cameras, fixed and mobile, we could maybe afford a few more officers on patrol?

And we might even have money to spend on people/property that HAVE been damaged instead of chasing those that just might do so.......
What he said.

If Dumberside (not heard them called that before) can still afford to pay somebody to sit in a van every Sunday on Thorpe Road in Howden in nothing but a cynical means to extract money from speeding motorists then the cuts haven't gone far enough.

Why can't the same person manning the camera van stand at the side of the road instead and stop people there and then; I'm sure that would be far more effective policing? Much better than just sending a letter which does nothing but pi55 people off.
Old 07 January 2015, 10:57 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Round my way i ain't seen a copper for ages,i thought they all retired ??
Old 07 January 2015, 11:30 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
What he said.

If Dumberside (not heard them called that before) can still afford to pay somebody to sit in a van every Sunday on Thorpe Road in Howden in nothing but a cynical means to extract money from speeding motorists then the cuts haven't gone far enough.

Why can't the same person manning the camera van stand at the side of the road instead and stop people there and then; I'm sure that would be far more effective policing? Much better than just sending a letter which does nothing but pi55 people off.
ehh..?

So, if he stops you and gives you a fine you would be happy - but not being stopped and getting a fine later would really pi55 you off

We don't tend to have manned vans now unless they are ANPR ones - hence static ones

Quick Reply: Whats left of the police.....