Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anyone work on the Oil Rigs

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2014, 08:23 PM
Fletch84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone work on the Oil Rigs

As the title says just wondering if there's anyone that works on the rigs? I left the Army last year after serving for 10 years and have been trying to get offshore ever since. I have BOSIET, MIST, Banksman/Slinger and Medically cleared.

All help is much appreciated
Old 30 December 2014, 09:02 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Without a trade or any experiance your only option would be the drilling side of things as entry level Roustabout.

Unlucky for you alot of drilling companies are paying guys off left right and center due to the current situation with the price of oil, over all winter is a pretty shyte time of year for work anyway.
Old 30 December 2014, 09:07 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did you do in the army and what is your experience of being a banksman/slinger? What have you been doing in the mean time?
Old 30 December 2014, 09:18 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Agreed with dunk it's hard to get in anywhere apart from the bottom if you don't have a trade. I'm also afraid the oil price does not help either.

What did you do in the army?
Old 31 December 2014, 04:09 AM
Fletch84
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your response guys, yeah I'm looking at the drilling side as I don't have a trade so so just like the Army start at the bottom and work my way up again. I was in the Artillery so got no trade to fall back on the only Banksmans/Slinging experience I have is from the course I did. I've spoke to a few companies and they said if I had been offshore before they would have no problem employing me, but it would be s risk taking me on with no experience. One company said if I could get someone to recommend me they would take in on once they start employing people mid year. I honestly didn't think it would be this hard to get a job offshore with me having 10 years military background.
Old 31 December 2014, 06:21 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The SAS are high profile on many rigs in the UK and in Oz without many of the workforce being aware of it.
They will be working under the guise of safety etc.
Their main activity is to co-ordinate an onboard response to terrorism and of course to handle any violent personnel .
Your best bet might be to inquire with the Nigerians - lots of hostility in their delta developments .
I have just read your expertise is artillery , so not really what I was thinking about .
Don't confine yourself to rigs . Lift barges also have lots of opportunities - companies like Heerema , Micopri, McDemott all operate throughout the world. Unfortunately the workers on these barges can be away months away at a time - 2 years sometimes! and **** money BUT its your in. No 2 weeks on 2 weeks off as per the North Sea.
All you need is an "IN" then your off .
GOOD LUCK