Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Devon refusing smokers and obese patients routine surgery unless they quit or diet

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2014, 10:26 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Devon refusing smokers and obese patients routine surgery unless they quit or diet

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/devon-refu...072533061.html

Bad news for all you obese smokers!

The article makes it sounds like they are being punished because they are more likely to need health care (at greater risk of diseases like diabetes), but it's my understanding that smokers and the obese are more likely to die on the operating table?
Old 04 December 2014, 10:50 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Help thy self to be helped. Yes there are degrees of need, but patients must show some dedication to help themselves.
Old 04 December 2014, 11:03 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this apply to any surgery, or just surgery decided to be related to either smoking or obesity (or both) as it's not entirely clear to me? I know it states routine surgery, not emergency, but it doesn't seem to clarify what that exactly encompasses.
Old 04 December 2014, 11:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you suggesting they should die on the operating table,

It would save some cash I guess

Last edited by dpb; 04 December 2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04 December 2014, 11:07 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

If you quit smoking you put on weight, they are in a no win situation. If someone challenged that in a european court of law they would have a good chance of winning. So if your overweight, and a smoker, does that mean you don't have to pay national insurance then if you live in that area ? The government will still take their money.

I ain't a smoker or overweight btw
Old 04 December 2014, 11:09 PM
Lisawrx

I also have to say (and I'm not defending smoking) but I love how they've come up with the figures for the cost of smoking to society. If ever there was an attempt to put figures together to suit an argument, that is it.

I want to make it clear, I am in no way attempting to claim smoking is good, but no matter how anti-smoking any group is, it raises more money than it costs us.

Allow for the £3.1bn cost to the NHS (treatment and the social care) as being accurate. The remaining £8bn (premature deaths on productivity and smoking breaks), I'm not sure how this is a remotely accurate figure, and even if it was, how much can the premature death part be offset against savings on pensions, not having to treat those people in their old age etc.? As for smoking breaks, that is very easily solved, don't give them. Where I work, smokers are entitled (rightly) to exactly the same breaks as any other member of staff, which is based on the hours they work. They get no more just because they smoke, in fact if anything, they are probably more closely monitored as they have to leave the building, therefore they need to sign in and out. If businesses are losing money through smoking breaks, that is the fault of those running them, not the individual smokers.

Last edited by Lisawrx; 04 December 2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04 December 2014, 11:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/devon-refu...072533061.html

Bad news for all you obese smokers!

The article makes it sounds like they are being punished because they are more likely to need health care (at greater risk of diseases like diabetes), but it's my understanding that smokers and the obese are more likely to die on the operating table?
My understanding is that the obese smokers are destined to die anyway, so why bother taking the guilt upon, of them dying on the operation table?

Anyway, as shifting obesity and smoking cessation are very hard tasks, I hope this refusal to operate may sober up some obese smokers, if not all. People do all sorts to avoid dying, not many want to die, if they can help. So this fear factor may help improving health figures on the future data collection chart.

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2014, 12:33 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

There was a report last week suggesting that the fatties should get free gastric bands. I'll take one, please.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...le-on-NHS.html

Apparently after spending on the operation, it'll save lots of £ for the NHS. It also might stop me having to dodge the fat, unemployed ****ers who ride on the pavement in mobility scooters on their way to the takeaway.
Old 05 December 2014, 12:42 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Allow for the £3.1bn cost to the NHS (treatment and the social care) as being accurate. The remaining £8bn (premature deaths on productivity and smoking breaks), I'm not sure how this is a remotely accurate figure
I wonder if the government will reveal how much they generate each year in duty on Cigarettes and Tobacco ? They seem keen to tell us how much smokers cost the NHS, i'd have an educated guess that it's either the equivalent of what they say smokers cost the government or they generate more from the duty on tobacco and cigarettes. Either way smokers are contributing to the government in both the duty on tobacco and cigarettes plus the National Insurance they pay so if you include National Insurance contributions they pay far more to the government than it costs the government to treat them when they need it.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 05 December 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05 December 2014, 12:53 AM
Lisawrx

Apparently for 2012-13, £12.3bn

http://www.the-tma.org.uk/tma-public...-from-tobacco/

As admitted on that page, the VAT is an estimate, but HMRC have supplied the duty figure of £9.7bn, so it's at least that.

I'd call that a massive profit, when you take out figures given by 'the other side' that may or may not be true, and if nothing else, could be changed, and there is a potential flip side.
Old 05 December 2014, 01:11 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

As you know yourself Lisa, governments manipulate and massage figures to suit their own agenda. I don't see them having the same swipe at overweight drinkers, it must cost the government at least as much or more in policing town centres at weekends to control drunks, the time in processing the arrests, the cost of court cases from drink related crimes not to mention the cost of treating drink related illnesses.
Old 05 December 2014, 06:53 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Pretty pointless smokers and fatties paying National Insurance now is it...
Old 05 December 2014, 08:13 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
If you quit smoking you put on weight, they are in a no win situation. If someone challenged that in a european court of law they would have a good chance of winning. So if your overweight, and a smoker, does that mean you don't have to pay national insurance then if you live in that area ? The government will still take their money.

I ain't a smoker or overweight btw
Stopping smoking doesn't put weight on, it's the habit of putting an object in your mouth, usually replaced by a Mars bar that puts weight on
I believe if you smoke and are obese, yes a premium should be imposed above the normal contributions
Old 05 December 2014, 10:57 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Stopping smoking doesn't put weight on, it's the habit of putting an object in your mouth, usually replaced by a Mars bar that puts weight on
I believe if you smoke and are obese, yes a premium should be imposed above the normal contributions
The taste buds respond better, because there's less or no tar on the tongue hence more salivation, better appetite/response to food. Underlying reason is the need to replace their obsessive oral gratification with something else hence increased food intake.

All weighty quitters can try drinking more water instead of eating more food, if they like. If they have to eat, they can munch on a celery or a carrot like a toothy rabbit. This should help.
Old 05 December 2014, 11:19 AM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Stopping smoking doesn't put weight on, it's the habit of putting an object in your mouth
As Turbo pointed out, that's the side effect of giving up smoking. Like he says you have better taste buds and tend to eat more food as you get lost what to do with your hands and your appetite grows.
Old 05 December 2014, 11:44 AM
Lisawrx

In the case of smokers, would you not say they are already paying a premium through the large amount of tax on each pack of cigarettes?

Also, whilst the risk of certain illnesses may well be increased by smoking or being obese, it's not a certainty.

Add also to that, what happens if a smoker and non smoker, or obese person and 'normal' person get hit by the same illness, how can penalising one be acceptable because of their lifestyle choice?
Old 05 December 2014, 12:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I think they've finished loading the motorists, so they've got to look elsewhere

They'll start on fugly / stopid folk sooner or later
Old 05 December 2014, 12:58 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
As Turbo pointed out, that's the side effect of giving up smoking. Like he says you have better taste buds and tend to eat more food as you get lost what to do with your hands and your appetite grows.
She; if you don't mind.

I'm a female.
Old 05 December 2014, 01:48 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Let them die.
Sick of the lsne excuses; let natural selection take its course.
The levels of obesity and smoking would soon plummet.
Old 05 December 2014, 01:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Let them die.
Sick of the lsne excuses; let natural selection take its course.
The levels of obesity and smoking would soon plummet.
Do you think it's possible that some people have problems with addiction, Matt?
Old 05 December 2014, 02:21 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Do you think it's possible that some people have problems with addiction, Matt?
Self indulgent weakness.
Stop eating when you're full. Stop eating nothing by rubbish.
Stop smoking.

Many people with non self inflicted problems go through far, far worse.
Old 05 December 2014, 02:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Self indulgent weakness.
Stop smoking.

No such thing as addiction, then?
Old 05 December 2014, 03:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

In nature, the slow ones get picked off / don't reproduce

Last edited by dpb; 05 December 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05 December 2014, 04:01 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
No such thing as addiction, then?
There's chemical addiction , but that wears off

After that there's psychological weakness
Old 05 December 2014, 04:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Just as big a costly problem in western world is anorexia , but its less of a juicy story
Old 05 December 2014, 04:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
In nature, the slow ones get picked off / don't reproduce
Have you been reading Mein Kampf, Duncan?
Old 05 December 2014, 04:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

No..
Old 05 December 2014, 04:24 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
No..
Oh, ok.
Old 05 December 2014, 04:47 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Self indulgent weakness.
Stop smoking.

Easy to say that when you're fit as a premier league footballer with a resting pulse under 50, who can run sub 6 minutes miles over 5k, swim a mile in under 30 minutes, with no problems doing 100 press ups and 25 pullups, win triathlons, ability to do all sorts of gymnastic stunts, have a bodyfat percentage below 12%, army and combat/martial arts trained and can "handle" themselves better than most and only 39 years old living a fantastically glorious outdoor pursuits lifestyle wind surfing instead of playing computer games.

Just saying.

ps. did I mention you're quite modest too.

Last edited by jonc; 05 December 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05 December 2014, 05:16 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
I also have to say (and I'm not defending smoking) but I love how they've come up with the figures for the cost of smoking to society. If ever there was an attempt to put figures together to suit an argument, that is it.

I want to make it clear, I am in no way attempting to claim smoking is good, but no matter how anti-smoking any group is, it raises more money than it costs us.

Allow for the £3.1bn cost to the NHS (treatment and the social care) as being accurate. The remaining £8bn (premature deaths on productivity and smoking breaks), I'm not sure how this is a remotely accurate figure, and even if it was, how much can the premature death part be offset against savings on pensions, not having to treat those people in their old age etc.? As for smoking breaks, that is very easily solved, don't give them. Where I work, smokers are entitled (rightly) to exactly the same breaks as any other member of staff, which is based on the hours they work. They get no more just because they smoke, in fact if anything, they are probably more closely monitored as they have to leave the building, therefore they need to sign in and out. If businesses are losing money through smoking breaks, that is the fault of those running them, not the individual smokers.
this is the problem with meddling with the universality of healthcare

it is difficult to draw nice clean lines

so whilst giving liver transplants to (unreformed) alcoholics, or Lung transplants to smokers are extreme examples, and the lines seem clear, it gets trickier

who is more deserving, the 50 year old man with pneumonia, or the 25 year old Mountain Biker, who injured himself riding down a mountain

should the state subsidise his/her dangerous MBT activity, should people doing that sport have some sort of sports insurance

why should a mother wait in A&E, with a sick child, to be seen behind the same self injured drunks that inhabit A&E every Friday night

Quick Reply: Devon refusing smokers and obese patients routine surgery unless they quit or diet