Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

So more broken Christmas lights!

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2014, 11:28 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So more broken Christmas lights!

So, every year I get all the decorations out of the loft, sort through them and yet another set of lights are ready for the bin or need a bit of a repair, costs me a bloody fortune in B&Q!

I think they generally go because the outdoor ones are on a pretty large tree and have to be yanked (a little) out after Christmas which over a few years weakens them, and the indoor ones just not that great quality.

I've seen some of the extendable ones in a local garden centre which seem a great idea as you can get extension cables, they run off of one plug etc, but they all seem to come with the plug so you end up with loads of bits you don't need, anyone have any experience with these or point me to a make that are better quality?

Cheers
Arron
Old 01 December 2014, 12:09 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every year I now do the same thing.
If the lights don't work, I just purchase a another set from Tesco.
Using led's now (indoor) so hopefully they'll last for a while
Old 01 December 2014, 12:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, what a ******y wind up

Xmas eh.....Kerching
Old 01 December 2014, 03:59 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Used to keep me occupied when I was a lad..

Every year the incandescent Christmas lights would come out the loft, you could bet your life the lights wouldn't work. You could put them away fully operational and yet I'd still be there every year unscrewing the little coloured bulbs and swapping each one in turn for a 'good' one. The Xmas light loft monster would also spend the entire year tying the lights into a ball, creating what would now be sold as some sort of office toy puzzle.

Was quite enjoyable messing around with them until they worked. Nowadays it's just LED's and they either work or you're buying a new set.

Nwver used to have any of this 'non drop' tree business either, if you farted near the tree it'd cause a shower of needles to cover the floor!
Old 01 December 2014, 06:21 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lucky, my last Christmas lights only broke after 19 yrs. of their use. The only complain I have is with my rope light. I've had it for 15 yrs. I used it every night n my living room, not just on Christmas. I used to use it on its static setting. It was perfect for 12 yrs. but from then on, it started to recognise just the blinking settings, and I really have to mess about with the control to put it on static. It's annoying. I'm just glad that I'm not epileptic. And don't ever bother with the fancy, all-year fairy lights from Homebase, because they are definitely total bull$hit. They stop working completely after 4-5 months, and you do have to throw them away.