Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speed bumps - how do I get some on my road?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2014, 09:54 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default speed bumps - how do I get some on my road?

I live on a narrow road, which unfortunately is a cut through road for some traffic. There's usually cars parked on both sides, so you end up with a narrow lane. There's loads of small kids (4-11) walking around this area in the morning and around 3pm, as there are two big schools nearby. It's the kind of road I'd feel a bit uncomfortable driving faster than 20mph on myself, as it bends and the visibility is generally a bit crap.

Anyway, loads of drivers are basically driving _FAR_ too fast on this road - 40mph and sometimes above (!!) - night time isn't any better, where you get the youngsters in honda's (et al) screeching around the corners.

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy, but basically I want to have some speed humps put up to slow traffic down, as I really do believe people are driving unsafely around here. I've also got a 2 year old daughter, so I've got a huge vested interest in keeping car speeds down.

Has anyone successfully lobbied their local council for speed humps to be put up?
Old 23 October 2014, 10:40 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't but I understand exactly where you are coming from
Old 23 October 2014, 10:41 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

I live in a cul-de-sac and had an ex-neighbour living at the end who would drive in at stupid speeds repeatedly
Old 23 October 2014, 10:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

We have several neighbours with very small children (I wasn't worried about them as their parents took great care of them) but we had several youngsters who would ride their bikes up and down the road to perfect their skills.
Old 23 October 2014, 10:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

This new neighbour was a menace
Old 23 October 2014, 10:52 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

After a very near miss where she (menace) nearly took out the back of my car as I was reversing out of my drive. I drove back onto my driveway, wandered up the road and knocked on her door and asked her to slow down. She was leaving rubber on the turn. I explained that we had several youngsters who, rightly or wrongly, would be riding bikes or playing ball or whatever on the roadway. She was apologetic of sorts and shut the door.

The NEXT day she hooned it around into the corner AGAIN.
Old 23 October 2014, 10:53 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

By now. The other neighbours were also expressing concern openly.
Old 23 October 2014, 10:53 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

yeah, the little 1/4 width ones they put up are a complete waste of time, so it'd have to be one of those full width ones...

Might give the council a ring and see what they say, I'm pretty sure I wont be the first person to complain, as recently there has been some of those "children in area" signs put up, but it's had no effect what so ever.
Old 23 October 2014, 10:56 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Now - it might be wrong legally but the decision was made (as the arrival time was known) to clear the street of all parked cars and to place a child's buggy at a position around the right side of the T of the cul-de-sac filled with a bag of sharp sand.
Old 23 October 2014, 10:57 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

She hit it THAT HARD that the bag of sand ended up about 20 feet behind her car!
Old 23 October 2014, 11:02 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

We all walked out with our children and gave her a slow clap
She and her BF moved out shortly afterwards.

Thank you Tony Bliar and Gordumn Brown for your social engineering experiments in housing the "disadvantaged" in areas they really could not afford without my personal subsidy by way of tax.

If a dog is born in a stable - it is still a dog. Not a horse.
Old 23 October 2014, 11:04 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

All the other houses are privately owned. Geoff had rented his house out to Speedy thru a letting agents as he was away on business for a year. Thankfully he is back now.
Old 23 October 2014, 11:17 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
yeah, the little 1/4 width ones they put up are a complete waste of time, so it'd have to be one of those full width ones...

Might give the council a ring and see what they say, I'm pretty sure I wont be the first person to complain, as recently there has been some of those "children in area" signs put up, but it's had no effect what so ever.
Could be a idea to go speak to your neighbours first and see if you can get some more weight behind you before phoning.
Old 24 October 2014, 12:18 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Unfortunatly road safety measures are often reactive

They go in after an accident/incident, not before
Old 24 October 2014, 12:25 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Jods has he hit a nerve or something,.
Old 24 October 2014, 01:51 AM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
Jods has he hit a nerve or something,.
Sounds like it.But well done him & his nieghbours.I would have put one of those realistic baby dolls in the buggy with plenty of ketchup.
Old 24 October 2014, 09:51 AM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I live on a road where speeding was a big issue as the road was often used as a cut through as it was a really wide road and a 1/4 mile in length (seriously!) you would pretty much everyday get idiots racing from top to bottom. This carries on for many years and as the neighbours all got together and contacted the local council / councillor.

Had to put our concerns through at various neghbourhood meeting / forums. Had talks with highways agencies and councillors with same story - Not enough funding etc..

However after YEARS of persuasion / talks, 5 serious accidents in as many years and the highways doing various checks (speed as well as amount of traffic travelling through) and once there was some funding available did they put down speed bumps.

I must say it has reduced about 80% of the speeders but you get the occasional idiot flying over the speed bump still.

I would say get together with locals and raise concerns with council / Councillors and they WILL listed eventually. Especially nearer local election times when they knock on doors asking about concerns / issues you may have.

Goodluck
Raf
Old 24 October 2014, 10:12 AM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Hi

I sit on my local Parish coucil, and believe me it is one of the hardest things to get progress through ther borough.

We have just requested the 30mph zone is extended out of the village by 50 yards, basically moving the signs from one post to another... Reply it will be put on the list for 2015 / 16

It took over a year to get double yellow lines extended by 5 yards at a dangerous junction.

Loby you council, you can go to the meeetings as here will be public time on the agenda

Be patient and keep pushing with hard eveidence.

Good luck
Old 25 October 2014, 10:23 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

To the OP, if you and your neighbours feel strongly enough about it and are willing and able to put up the cash to pay for it yourselves, it might be quicker to approach your council (pretty sure it's usually county-level that deals with highways) and ask for consent to fund it privately. If nothing else, telling them you're considering the option might help apply pressure to get them to do it:

"Private funding of Traffic Calming Schemes
It is existing County policy to support the principle of private funding of traffic calming
schemes although the same principles as for developer funding outlined above apply.
Also, the practicalities of private funding are complex requiring a legal agreement,
involving issues such as maintenance and liability insurance."
Source - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/as...tice-Guide.pdf
Old 25 October 2014, 05:03 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Judging by the quotes we were given in meetings its not 'cheap' or at least not as cheap as you would think it should be. I think for the ones on our road just standard tarmac speed bumps they were saying circa £30k + costs according to the highways agency. However when done and the people that did it looked like a couple of grand worth of work at best.
Old 25 October 2014, 07:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The council put speed bumps in around where we live. There's a school 2 streets away, and there hasn't been an accident of any sort that we know about in over 20 years.

Our street is quite narrow, and buses use it so everyone parks on one side of the road. The council put 5 pairs of those small speed bumps in down our street. Didn't put any in the street where the school entrance is though.

Hasn't done a thing to slow traffic down. The only ones that tend to, is full width speed bumps, and councils seemingly, won't install them on bus routes for some reason.