Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got my class 1 test on monday

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2014, 09:05 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my class 1 test on monday

I failed first time.I drove fine all week and clipped a cone on the reverse on test day.I felt like sh*t.So ive got my retest booked for this Monday nearly a month later.Is there any class 1 drivers that can give any tips
Old 09 October 2014, 09:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

not a class one driver but a tip would be don't hit the cones.
Good luck.
Old 09 October 2014, 09:16 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Failed mine twice bud......first time got the chief examiner at Sheffield , instructor said prepare to fail as he never lets anyone pass on first attempt ....put me in a good mood
Failed...
Not to worry we will re book.... 2nd attempt (chief examiner again ), roadworks/diversions, took a left turn on his say so....even Eddie stobart wouldn't of got it round......as guessed back wheels went onto the kerb ....I saw the old ******* eyebrow raise up so that was it brain went dead.

I think he said I went through a give way sign at 50 mph , I not so calmly told him to get the **** out of the cab and **** off
I still have the letter stating I'm not permitted to go back to Sheffield test office
£3k wasted
Old 09 October 2014, 10:25 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Im at bredbury test centre at 10.30 Monday.All im gonna get before my test is the practise reverse exercise and the couple and de-couple .My driving is fine my instructor says but come to test conditions It goes per shaped.Ive been trying to drive in test mode this week in my rigid .Ive paid for this all by myself as well I paid £875 for 16hrs and £329 for my re-test
Old 09 October 2014, 10:43 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

on the reverse drive slow steer fast do it the other way round and you will f..k it up, also the longer the reverse takes the less time your out on the road.

i was shunting in a big busy yard for 5 years before my test so it was one arm on window one hand steer reverse lol

do they still do the gear exercise?

Last edited by maydew; 09 October 2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09 October 2014, 11:45 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea best thing is to take your time and relax,you probably hear it all before but is true.
I was **** on reversing all week other guy with me perfect,come test day he failed I passed,because he got into a panic and I didn't.And I had the same bullsh1t if you this examiner you will fail regardless,take no no notice,put it all out of your mind.
Never take for granted if the examiner tells you take a certain road.What they are looking for is you a reading the road ahead and taking in the information,road signs,weight limits,low bridges etc,some examiners will try trick you and tell you to take a road you shouldn't.Remember you are out there driving by yourself and YOU have to make the choice what roads can or can't go,its what the examiner is looking for.Will not fail you if you ignore his directions if try and direct you on a weight limit road etc.wants to see how you would drive if on your own and had to make the choice.
I believe the reversing has changed since I passed in 2004,was allowed about three shunts.
It's really just about taking your a little time and being relaxed,they are big vehicles but very manoeuvrable.
And even after passing,it will take at least two/three years before you're confident in most situations.
Other drivers on here I know.But done the UK/Europe transporting plant/machinery a lot of things,left hand drive to.
I actually found the gear change exercise the worse,especially in an iveco,don't think its part of the exam now.
Good luck and relax.
Old 10 October 2014, 12:05 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rick2014
I failed first time.I drove fine all week and clipped a cone on the reverse on test day.I felt like sh*t.So ive got my retest booked for this Monday nearly a month later.Is there any class 1 drivers that can give any tips
Lots of people fail on the reverse, just take your time and if you're not happy then take 1 mark and shunt. Check with the instructor but I think you can put your arm out the window and have a look, but again, if you're not happy pull forward and go again, it will only cost you 1 mark.

Be decisive, don't let them feel that you can't make your mind up, if you have to wait, then wait, don't pull out and slow traffic unless you really have to and COMMAND the road. You don't wont to bully cars but if you need the space to turn for example then TAKE it.

plus I've been told by two instructors to eat a few bananas (I shìt you not) apparently the potassium they contain gives you confidence.

Good luck

p.s I've passed all my driving tests first time, bike, car, bus, class 2, class 1 not that I'm counting sorry couldn't help myself

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2014, 12:13 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

One more thing, CHECK with your instructor but I think that you can get out to see if you're in the box ok when reversing all be it at the cost of one mark
Old 10 October 2014, 12:28 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Another thing is mirror checks,examiners like to see you checking your mirrors.don't feel an idiot every six seconds or so checking mirrors.
And make sure he can actually see your head turning to check,roundabouts,junctions,traffic lights,neutral,handbrake on,keep checking your mirrors everywhere,you should get in the habbit of doing it,a lot can change since the six seconds you last checked them.
Old 10 October 2014, 01:47 AM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DYK
Another thing is mirror checks,examiners like to see you checking your mirrors.don't feel an idiot every six seconds or so checking mirrors.
And make sure he can actually see your head turning to check,roundabouts,junctions,traffic lights,neutral,handbrake on,keep checking your mirrors everywhere,you should get in the habbit of doing it,a lot can change since the six seconds you last checked them.
^ this. I drove around in my car with the rear view mirror moved out of position to force me to use my n/s and o/s mirrors.
Old 10 October 2014, 02:27 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Just remember when reversing its little movement of wheel.
Last thing you want is to be getting all X'sd up

Been driving Artic's 25+ years , paint yourself an imaginary line in your head from your rear axle to were you want to put it ,, follow that line with little imput on wheel & you will breeze it
If you can see your suzie lines on your trailer bulkhead in your mirrors your way over compensating ,, your not trying to jack knife into a parking bay or loading dock
Good luck
Old 10 October 2014, 08:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Did mine twelve years ago.

Got the chief examiner for the Wakefield/Leeds area, got told he never passes anyone first time.

Passed with only one very minor...he said I had indicated too early. I asked for clarification, like where?
Thought back, and said, "Yep, you're right...."

He just chuckled and said, "Oh, I know I'm right son....."

Strangely, that one fault is one I now notice on motorways...and never do myself.
Old 10 October 2014, 09:03 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Always remember the old saying from my instructor, "don't be a **** & take a shunt" Worked as well
Old 10 October 2014, 10:38 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hope you've got a job lined up. I did mine, then got stuck in the you need two years experience to drive, but you can't get the experience.....

Enjoyed doing the two tests though
Old 10 October 2014, 05:33 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Hope you've got a job lined up. I did mine, then got stuck in the you need two years experience to drive, but you can't get the experience.....

[/QUOTE]

Was the same when i passed,only way i got in was kept trying agencies but a lot still turned me away.Got a lucky break with one agency,or try companies that train new drivers,means you will have to sign a contract to stay with them for couple years,but its giving you the experience during that time and your training /test is paid for,but you already got it so just a matter of getting your foot in the door.i know the parcel companies take on new drivers DPD or did,other companies to think sainsburys did it.Reason not sure if still doing it now,because many were taking advantage of the training and test not having to pay,then bailing out on the companies before the two years contract.
It is disheartening when you pay the money to get your hgv and keep hearing about the experience countless times.I went through it and i not the only one,but you just have to keep trying and will get a break eventually
Old 10 October 2014, 06:15 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^

this is because private companies drive the value (and chance of getting a Job) in getting your class 1 licence

all the big retailers (Tesco, Argos etc) run private courses/tests that validate your skill in parking in those loading bays at the big distribution wharehouses

without passing those tests they simply won't let you deliver to them - which renders your licence a bit useless

you can see why the big retailers do it - they don't want a load of idiots who can't reverse in to the loading bays - it would cause chaos and delays

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 October 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10 October 2014, 06:35 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the positive coments .Your only allowed one shunt in the reverse exercise and if you do you carnt get out of the cab after to check .As above its the only exercise where you can use one hand on the steering wheel and head out of the window while doing the reverse lol.I never made it into the bay last time .The changing gears exercise went about 7 1/2 years ago I just missed it when it come to do my test.The company who im taking my test all use auto trucks now there saying its the future now but you will still be able to buy manual versions.Ive also heard it depends on what mood the examiner is in if you pass or not
Old 10 October 2014, 07:25 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

No double de clutch for you then Rick
Most now are semi / full auto clutch less but have a manual gear selector on
Unless you drive merc Actros with A fleet tel , it has no manual option on the selector , however you can change manual by moving steering stork & holding the gear for heavy gradient pulls .... Something you have to explore & look forward to when your in the industry
Old 10 October 2014, 08:02 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

28 yrs ago i passed mine first time i **** myself on reverse used 2 shunts and on the emergency stop i slammed on examiner said to me ffs calm down nick still passed try and stay calm
Old 10 October 2014, 08:35 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

The best advise I could give is to be confident, back off and pinch as much room as you can to stay away from the kerbs, don't worry about a scrub or 2 as thats fine just don't mount any
If the examiner sees that you are confident in your own ability and are smooth in your movements you will pass.
Slow down on the reverse excersise and don't over compensate, small adjustments is the way, if you go at it to fast you will c@ck it up.
Remember, like in other posts don't be afraid to take a shunt and get yourself set up right
I'm delivering to tesco sainsburys morrisons asda day in day out and once you get a feel for it the job is a piece of ****.
Some of the loading bays are blind side and a bit of a pain but you get used to it, mind you I've been driving a while
Good luck and take your time.

Siv
Old 11 October 2014, 07:46 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Failed mine twice bud......first time got the chief examiner at Sheffield , instructor said prepare to fail as he never lets anyone pass on first attempt ....put me in a good mood
Failed...
Not to worry we will re book.... 2nd attempt (chief examiner again ), roadworks/diversions, took a left turn on his say so....even Eddie stobart wouldn't of got it round......as guessed back wheels went onto the kerb ....I saw the old ******* eyebrow raise up so that was it brain went dead.

I think he said I went through a give way sign at 50 mph , I not so calmly told him to get the **** out of the cab and **** off
I still have the letter stating I'm not permitted to go back to Sheffield test office
£3k wasted
Nice of your instructor to give you a confidence boost right before your test pfffff
One thing i hated at test centres was all this type of talk,have enough in mind thinking about the test,and then you get the ******** saying this crap about examiners failing.
Stobart are nothing special.Is way more talented drivers out there working for other companies,drove with some top blokes abroad,real experienced,and its how you learn.Have to say though some of the stobart drivers on the continental runs were nice blokes.
Old 11 October 2014, 10:07 AM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

They have done away with the emergency stop now as well.i drive a scania P230 at the minute my boss has jus bought a brand new fleet of Scania R450s with a couple parked up spare.Im told I would have to go to Scania for the day and sit in a classroom and learn how to drive them economicly it also counts as 7hrs towards my next CPC.My boss keeps badgering me asking me when my retest is saying if I pass I get a new cab .I said im not interested in doing nights out or early hours of the morning that's why im paying for it my self.We have day drivers who start at 7am and finish about 5-6pm so id be happy with that .My boss said he would pay for it but then I would have to stay out during the week at least 2 nights as part of the deal and I carnt be doing with that I like my own bed every night
Old 11 October 2014, 10:08 AM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick172sport
28 yrs ago i passed mine first time i **** myself on reverse used 2 shunts and on the emergency stop i slammed on examiner said to me ffs calm down nick still passed try and stay calm
Hi Nick I remember you from Passionford I was called MK4 Rick
Old 11 October 2014, 10:25 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

i always think when i have a night out my boss is paying me to sleep.
good luck with the test.
Old 11 October 2014, 12:28 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
i always think when i have a night out my boss is paying me to sleep.
good luck with the test.

Cheers mate means a lot
Old 11 October 2014, 01:16 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

They have done away with the emergency stop now as well.i drive a scania P230 at the minute my boss has jus bought a brand new fleet of Scania R450s with a couple parked up spare.Im told I would have to go to Scania for the day and sit in a classroom and learn how to drive them economicly it also counts as 7hrs towards my next CPC.My boss keeps badgering me asking me when my retest is saying if I pass I get a new cab .I said im not interested in doing nights out or early hours of the morning that's why im paying for it my self.We have day drivers who start at 7am and finish about 5-6pm so id be happy with that .My boss said he would pay for it but then I would have to stay out during the week at least 2 nights as part of the deal and I carnt be doing with that I like my own bed every night

Have a nice truck its actually quite comfy If you ever have the chance to drive abroad do it,its an experience and learn a lot about the job and driving.
Is problems with immigrants I know,Calais is pritty bad right now.
You hear stories of drivers being gassed and robbed and it's happened to some guys I know,other guys I know drove Europe 15,20,30 years and not really a problem,its just about knowing where and not where to stop.
Jabeek in Belgium six drivers got gassed and robbed,Veurne the other week driver got jumped by six polish guys,beat him until he gave his credit card numbers,but it was 2am in the morning,and you don't fuel up at Veurne that early hours,its quiet truck stop across the road but nobody about really that time.
But can have some good times/laughs parked for a weekend with others.
And if you're a new driver well our lot call each other up,take the p1ss have a chat,find out who is parking where,have a meet up,some visit the museums in Germany war memorials etc.you can have a great time.
I can't settle at home more than two days is enough,or I back at the apartment in prague,I can settle there
Old 11 October 2014, 01:30 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

I like my bed at home lol.To be honest im not bothered what truck I get we still have some 62 plate ones knocking about lol.I just want to pass.when at a set of traffic lights and your ready to go I no your surposed to look out of your mirrors and have a look out of your drivers window to make sure nothing is there but what about if I want to to right into a lane while im moving do I still stick my head out of the window and have a look or does that deem me taking my eyes off the rd?
Old 11 October 2014, 01:49 PM
sivo
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I like my bed at home lol.To be honest im not bothered what truck I get we still have some 62 plate ones knocking about lol.I just want to pass.when at a set of traffic lights and your ready to go I no your surposed to look out of your mirrors and have a look out of your drivers window to make sure nothing is there but what about if I want to to right into a lane while im moving do I still stick my head out of the window and have a look or does that deem me taking my eyes off the rd?
I would say a pronounced move of the head to show that both mirrors have been checked and indication well in advance of direction change would be enough.
The examiner will be watching you like a hawk for your mirror checks

Siv
Old 11 October 2014, 01:56 PM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sivo
I would say a pronounced move of the head to show that both mirrors have been checked and indication well in advance of direction change would be enough.
The examiner will be watching you like a hawk for your mirror checks

Siv
Old 11 October 2014, 05:34 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with it,turning your head left/right to actually look,rather than trying to look through the corners of your eyes.
Quick look over the right shoulder,although blind spot mirrors on driver side helps a lot.

Quick Reply: Got my class 1 test on monday