Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Duvet, wool?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2014, 11:53 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Duvet, wool?

I'm quite fond of my bed and have a decent mattress, Egyptian cotton covers and a feather duvet. I'm needing a new duvet and have just been having a look online and came accross these Wool filled duvets. I run pretty hot in bed and can't abide any form of synetic bedding, I'd just wake up soaked. My girlfriend was running some 13.5tog synthetic rubbish and it was ridiculous, I ended up getting a feather duvet for her house too. She loves it now and like a lot of people previously considered "but it's a Silent Night" to be enough to convince me I was wrong, guess it's all in the marketing

I was just about to get one when I remembered the smell of the lambs wool. My mattress has a layer of lambs wool under the surface and it actually smelt a bit like a wet sheep for a while, supposedly normal according to when I bought it.

Has anyone got a Wool duvet here? Are they as good as they say for stopping you overheating? Theory being wool can actually take moisture away from you and evaporate it out of the duvet as you sleep, whereas feather has a natural water repellant.

I tend to use a 4.5tog duvet all year round, I do actually sacrifice feeling cold when I go to bed for not waking up in the middle of the night soaked. But I'm wondering with these wool duvets whether they work well enough to allow me a higher tog rating?

I've also found a website that sells these wool duvets in 'his and hers' with the bloke's side lighter on the filling. Not cheap, but in the grand scheme of things good value when you consider how long it'd last and if it stops you waking up? Well worth it.
Old 02 October 2014, 04:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will you be kind enough to give the link to the wool duvet website, Jameswrx? I need good and really warm duvets. I usually have a heating blanket under my bed sheet, 13.5 and a 10 tog anti-allergy duvets on me, and on top of it, I spread an arctic sleeping bag that would work alone for a normal person even at the North Pole. I need to minimise, and get just one hardcore duvet that's capable to keep me roasted in harsh cold climate.
Old 02 October 2014, 05:51 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

No problem, here's a couple that I've since found. I've linked their warmer offerings for you.

http://southdownduvets.com/index.php...oth-group.html

http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.p...roduct_id=1547

If they're too rich, then Dunelm have a double Wool duvet for £69.99 but they are a regular thickness,

If you're looking for something that'll be really warm though, they might not be for you. They aren't particularly thick and seem to be more appropriate to people like me who want to keep warm but not overheat.

Can you not have feather duvets then? If you want warm and really cozy, you want a down feather duvet. If you have a Dunelm nearby, pop in as they have samples of all their duvets hanging up so you can feel them. I went in there earlier and they have a pure down 13.5tog duvet and it felt unbelievable. I have a canadian feather and down 13.5tog and it's way too much for me, even in winter. The pure down one at Dunelm felt amazing though, give you an idea. Plus you could feel the wool ones as they are quite different to your regular puffy duvet.

Last edited by jameswrx; 02 October 2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02 October 2014, 09:22 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

They are somewhat expensive, but what about a silk duvet?

See http://www.patra.com/Category/Silk-Quilts for some examples, and http://boundarymill.co.uk/ also sell 'em, but are a bit of a drive away!

mb
Old 02 October 2014, 11:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
No problem, here's a couple that I've since found. I've linked their warmer offerings for you.

http://southdownduvets.com/index.php...oth-group.html

http://www.baavet.co.uk/shop/index.p...roduct_id=1547

If they're too rich, then Dunelm have a double Wool duvet for £69.99 but they are a regular thickness,

If you're looking for something that'll be really warm though, they might not be for you. They aren't particularly thick and seem to be more appropriate to people like me who want to keep warm but not overheat.

Can you not have feather duvets then? If you want warm and really cozy, you want a down feather duvet. If you have a Dunelm nearby, pop in as they have samples of all their duvets hanging up so you can feel them. I went in there earlier and they have a pure down 13.5tog duvet and it felt unbelievable. I have a canadian feather and down 13.5tog and it's way too much for me, even in winter. The pure down one at Dunelm felt amazing though, give you an idea. Plus you could feel the wool ones as they are quite different to your regular puffy duvet.
Thanks, Jameswrx. I do like the mammoth one in the first link. Both links have good ones, tbh.

I agree about the cozy feel with the down feather ones, but the problem is that the feathers start to shift here and there after a while, and that makes me feel awfully uncomfortable. I mean, how many times can you wake up to shake the duvet to make it all even, you know. Very annoying. Other inconvenient thing with them is when somehow, from somewhere the feathers start to escape their outfit. Then they make me sneeze like hell. That's the reason I stopped buying them.

I shall save the woolly ones' links, and should buy them soon-ish.
Old 03 October 2014, 12:08 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
They are somewhat expensive, but what about a silk duvet?

See http://www.patra.com/Category/Silk-Quilts for some examples, and http://boundarymill.co.uk/ also sell 'em, but are a bit of a drive away!

mb
Naah. Silk duvets are all looks and smooth feel but no comfort. They slip off you like dripping wax from a burning candle. You wear a duvet to cover yourself and stay warm under it while asleep; not to let it bleddy slip and leave you shivering like an autumn leaf all night! How many times can one get up to pick the stupid thing from the floor; just for that to happen all over again??? I actually got really nice silken ones from India with all the beads, embroidery and stuff on them, and the layer that covers your body is hard core cotton; in order to keep them snug to your body. But even then, when, while snoring away in the middle of the night, when your arms come into contact with the upper of the duvet, the awfully freezing beads, zari and silk send a shiver through your whole body. You flinch and go- aaaargh! Not good, that. They're ok in warn Indian winter which is like British summer. Not great in the UK. All looks but no purpose solution.

perhaps the ones from your patra link keep in their place, I don't know.
Old 06 October 2014, 02:17 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I don't possess a wool duvet, but can say that I have learned to only wear woollen socks and base layer clothing when I'm out on the mountain bike

Wool has has great insulation properties and still feels dry even when wet. It also has great wicking properties, which means it transports moisture away from your body, which is great if you sweat a lot, like I do

The real great advantage wool (especially merino) has over synthetic materials (and cotton too) is the lovely soft feel

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2014, 04:00 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a duck down double duvet from dunelm, as in 2 duvet's that clip together with press studs and act as a 4 season system in one, thin summer one then the thicker winter one and for those really chilly nights you put them together and toast central, think it gets up to 16.5 tog together. I need a decent duvet as I have to sleep with a window open and can't sleep in a hot room because I just get completely blocked sinuses then end up snoring like a pig and wake up with a swollen pallet for half the day.