Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2014, 10:39 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The Hobo Spider

Remember the name.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-after-4286520

This story is almost true, the falsities are that the Hobo only attains a legspan of 2" and it's doesn't chase people, like most spiders exposed to light it only tries to hide in people's shadows.

This pest control site sums up the Hobo perfectly

http://uknw.co.uk/terrified-family-t...-running-away/

The reason I'm posting up this info is I know a lot about indigenous/semi-indigenous spiders and that the normally docile Hobo (which looks like most other common related house spiders but prefers outdoors and is smaller) will become more defensive and seek a cooler environment away from the red hot sun as global warming takes its grip. This spider is considered dangerous in the USA and will be classified so here as the annual temps rise.

The False Widow hysteria wasn't justified as it's bite is like most other spiders only affecting those with an allergy to spider bites. The juvenile male Hobo spider's bite on the other hand can be brutal if it doesn't dry bite.

You have been warned.
Old 19 September 2014, 10:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Evicted two huge bastids out of the bedroom last night.

Can't bear the thought of them crawling over me.

The bathtub is a pretty good spider trap though. They love to get in there but they never leave. Its a bit like a spider thunder dome....as if I leave it (bath doesn't get used much), I always end up with a collection of spiders in there....but only one survives as it kills the others LOL.
Old 19 September 2014, 10:58 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a hand sized one in the bathroom about a month ago.

Quite cuddly really, I put her in the flower bed

Safer there
Old 19 September 2014, 10:59 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About the worst thing a large Tegenaria is capable of is a bite equal in severity to a wasp sting.

Reports suggesting that these things are dangerous are wide of the Mark IMO.
Old 19 September 2014, 11:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

All of us swallow at least ten spiders a year, right.?
Old 19 September 2014, 11:05 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Tegenaria in general are harmless and all of the species give painless bites.

The Hobo spider is one of the smaller spiders from the Tegenaria family and it's only the smaller Juvenile males that deal a significant bite.

Be wary of house spiders that are the size of a 10p and have a yellowish chevron pattern on their abdomen.

Fu*k the big ones, completely harmless. Pop them on a daddy-longlegs web and see what happens.
Old 19 September 2014, 11:15 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flat has loads of those false widow spiders in, and there's one hiding in the passenger vent in my car. As long as they don't come near me I'm fine with them.

Trending Topics

Old 19 September 2014, 11:17 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Tegenaria in general are harmless and all of the species give painless bites.

The Hobo spider is one of the smaller spiders from the Tegenaria family and it's only the smaller Juvenile males that deal a significant bite.

Be wary of house spiders that are the size of a 10p and have a yellowish chevron pattern on their abdomen.

Fu*k the big ones, completely harmless. Pop them on a daddy-longlegs web and see what happens.
Tegenaria are generally harmless but even the "dangerous" Hobo spider isn't capable of much more than a swollen hand. The main reason these spiders cause problems in their "native" territories is more likely due to large amounts of contact with them.

IMO our climate will not get hot enough to persuade this species to cling to built up areas as much as it does abroad, of course you may get the odd spider bite in the South of England in built up areas. There is a big difference to an arid climate in the high 30s to a more humid one in the high 20s.

I would suggest that the spiders were more likely to seek built up areas when it cools down over winter to hibernate away from the winter cold, when they're less likely to want to attack anyway.
Old 19 September 2014, 11:41 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Hobo bite causes lesions and even necrosis in many cases. It dry bites a lot of the time especially when not in mating season or during cooler periods, the Brown Recluse often gets the blame, in most cases though a Brown Recluse (which isn't know to inhabit the area of the US where Hobo's thrive) couldn't be found at the home of the bite victim and more often than not pest teams find Hobo populations.

There are no significant records of Hobo's in the UK causing serious wounds but that will change. They are only found in the hotter South of the UK as it stands but scientists have tracked them moving Northwards. As it gets hotter populations in the South will get larger and there will be inevitably more contact with humans. As it stands the few Hobo's that do make it to rural areas are picked off by Cellar Spiders and larger territorial Tegenaria.

TBH no Spider should be a threat to an healthy human who doesn't suffer allergic reactions to the bite, the Hobo and Brown Recluse are two spiders that can regardless cause potential loss of limbs.

Last edited by RS_Matt; 19 September 2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 19 September 2014, 11:51 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Hobo bite causes lesions and even necrosis in many cases. It dry bites a lot of the time especially when not in mating season or during cooler periods, the Brown Recluse often gets the blame, in most cases though a Brown Recluse (which isn't know to inhabit the area of the US where Hobo's thrive) couldn't be found at the home of the bite victim and more often than not pest teams find Hobo populations.

There are no significant records of Hobo's in the UK causing serious wounds but that will change. They are only found in the hotter South of the UK as it stands but scientists have tracked them moving Northwards. As it gets hotter populations in the South will get larger and there will be inevitably more contact with humans. As it stands the few Hobo's that do make it to rural areas are picked off by Cellar Spiders and larger territorial Tegenaria.
Nonsense!

Your hobo spiders are technically classified as dangerous in the USA. They have never been associated with wound necrosis in Europe and there has only ever been one documented case of wound necrosis in the USA. Just one!

We have other species here that are officially classified as toxic that have never even been mentioned in the media, and yet I can cite two instances requiring treatment requiring antivenom for one that has a massively expanding range in the UK but thankfully is very placid.

Hobo spiders will never be anything other than a very, very minor annoyance for a couple of unlucky people.
Old 19 September 2014, 11:55 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

TBH no Spider should be a threat to an healthy human who doesn't suffer allergic reactions to the bite, the Hobo and Brown Recluse are two spiders that can regardless cause potential loss of limbs.
Old 20 September 2014, 12:39 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Nonsense!

Your hobo spiders are technically classified as dangerous in the USA. They have never been associated with wound necrosis in Europe and there has only ever been one documented case of wound necrosis in the USA. Just one!

We have other species here that are officially classified as toxic that have never even been mentioned in the media, and yet I can cite two instances requiring treatment requiring antivenom for one that has a massively expanding range in the UK but thankfully is very placid.

Hobo spiders will never be anything other than a very, very minor annoyance for a couple of unlucky people.
Total baloney, there has been tons of cases in the American West, some involving pets, http://www.camelotbordeaux.com/SpiderBite.htm but there has always been speculation as to what caused the bite, the never present Brown Recluse always gets the blame and the Hobo spider is always found, cover up almost. As it gets warmer larger Tegenaria won't frequent homes and sheds etc as they prefer outdoors and the Hobo will be able to establish like it has in North Western USA.

I think the fact Hobo's are so common and have a stronger preference for homes than the Brown Recluse does is scaring the sh*t out of the relevant authorities.
Old 20 September 2014, 12:40 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

I found a ill-luminous yellow spider in my garage , bright yellow all over on a little thing pushed it out side, would be interested to know what that was as I've never seen one that colour before if any of you guys know
Old 20 September 2014, 12:45 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Any Spider journal will confirm the severity of Hobo bites

http://www.camelotbordeaux.com/SpiderBite.htm

A journal by Government paid scientists might not though!
Old 20 September 2014, 12:47 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
I found a ill-luminous yellow spider in my garage , bright yellow all over on a little thing pushed it out side, would be interested to know what that was as I've never seen one that colour before if any of you guys know
Could be a crab spider. Once laid on one in bed.
Old 20 September 2014, 12:50 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Total baloney, there has been tons of cases in the American West, some involving pets, http://www.camelotbordeaux.com/SpiderBite.htm but there has always been speculation as to what caused the bite, the never present Brown Recluse always gets the blame and the Hobo spider is always found, cover up almost. As it gets warmer larger Tegenaria won't frequent homes and sheds etc as they prefer outdoors and the Hobo will be able to establish like it has in North Western USA.

I think the fact Hobo's are so common and have a stronger preference for homes than the Brown Recluse does is scaring the sh*t out of the relevant authorities.
Pets? Are you for real?

You do realise that these spiders are classified as they are is due to clinical trials involving animals and animals alone?

It's always damned speculation with these things and never any hard evidence. Because anyone that applies even a basic level of investigation into the toxicity of this species will confirm that it is nowhere near dangerous let alone venemous to humans.

You've stated that these spiders can cause loss of limbs, I'd like to see your source confirming this.

In fact, aside the famous and incredibly contentious article that I've just re-read reporting a wound necrosis from a Hobo Spider, I'd like to see if you can produce any hard evidence of another.
Old 20 September 2014, 01:03 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

You read a report about a study of 33 confirmed spider bites that took place in Oregon and only 1 of those was from an Hobo which didn't cause Necrosis in that 1 case, the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists the Hobo Spider as one of the three venomous spiders that can be found in the United States, that can be dangerous. They note: in some cases (not one), Hobo Spider bites "have" caused necrosis, which is the death of cells or tissue, according to a 1996 report from the CDC.

Research comparing the venom of American and European members of the Hobo species did not find significant differences between the two.

Don't believe Richard Vetter's findings, an arachnologist at the University of California, an infected area, as he is a Government puppet.

Nearly all spiders are venomous/toxic to humans to an extent, only a few notable species don't use venom and most spiders can pierce human skin.

In the states the Spider is incontrovertibly a genuine pest. There's no reason it won't be here.
Old 20 September 2014, 01:06 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the spider get more mpg if you change its anti roll bar??
Old 20 September 2014, 01:19 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

You read a report about a study of 33 confirmed spider bites that took place in Oregon and only 1 of those was from an Hobo which didn't cause Necrosis in that 1 case, the CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists the Hobo Spider as one of the three venomous spiders that can be found in the United States, that can be dangerous. They note: in some cases (not one), Hobo Spider bites "have" caused necrosis, which is the death of cells or tissue, according to a 1996 report from the CDC.

Research comparing the venom of American and European members of the Hobo species did not find significant differences between the two.

Don't believe Richard Vetter's findings, an arachnologist at the University of California, an infected area, as he is a Government puppet.

Nearly all spiders are venomous/toxic to humans to an extent, only a few notable species don't use venom and most spiders can pierce human skin.

In the states the Spider is incontrovertibly a genuine pest. There's no reason it won't be here.
Yes, anything containing venom can cause a necrotic wound. I'm sure we've all been stung by bees or wasps.

The problem I have is that many people will tell you how bad these spiders are, yet Richard Vetter's findings stand up to scrutiny. Assumption and supposition don't.

And it's only in a small region of the USA, where these spiders are alien invaders, that people have reported an issue. These spiders will not become a pest here as they have not become so in far hotter areas of Europe where they are present.

I'm yet to see any hard fact documenting this species as a danger to humans.
Old 20 September 2014, 06:57 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
does the spider get more mpg if you change its anti roll bar??
I watched a Spider giving it the beans last night and as he laid down the power he pirouetted 180 degrees. I could hear his web spooling from 100 yards.
Old 20 September 2014, 08:15 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

They're pretty awesome creatures really.
Old 20 September 2014, 08:22 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My spider senses are tingling.
Old 20 September 2014, 09:18 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
I watched a Spider giving it the beans last night and as he laid down the power he pirouetted 180 degrees. I could hear his web spooling from 100 yards.
Morning tea on keyboard moment
Old 20 September 2014, 11:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

NOT a hobo spider.
Old 20 September 2014, 11:56 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

There's a voice, keeps on calling me. Down the road, that's where I'll always be.

Just seen the use of the word "baloney" as well lol.

Last edited by Kwik; 20 September 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 20 September 2014, 02:54 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

either way they all go up the hoover!
Old 20 September 2014, 05:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Or down it, when I hoover them off the Velux windows in france..they hit the dust bag with an audible "thud!"

Some of the house spiders over there are 5" across.......

And there are some really weird ones inside with tiny bodies and VERY long legs...if you disturb the web they vibrate and spin very fast.
Old 20 September 2014, 05:24 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Just read a piece that mentions Hobo Spiders rarely kill!!!

Gonna have to find source some fatalities that the Hobo is a suspect in.
Old 20 September 2014, 05:34 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Gonna have to find source some fatalities that the Hobo is a suspect in.
Can they use a Rifle?
Old 20 September 2014, 05:47 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

i just watch them run by, if there massive i have a spider catcher, but to be honest i'm not bothered, that just for the misses

Quick Reply: The Hobo Spider