Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Replacement tv psu

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2014, 11:39 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tv psu

Right my Samsung tv has given up seems to be the power supply .

Anyone know where I can get a replacment for a c750 model?

I'm assuming Ali b might know ?
Old 14 September 2014, 11:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Ring Samsung service dept?

or look at the specs on the old one and Google it?
Or ditto off ebay?
Old 14 September 2014, 12:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Quick answer: No chance - I fix cars not tellys

As as whole part (complete PSU board) its as said above I'm afraid, unless you can find a TV parts retailer willing to sell to the public.

Long answer:
The other alternative - which is what I'd personally do (as that's what turns me on ) is remove the PSU board and try to test and identify the faulty components (capacitors, drive IC etc). And replace them with off the shelf equivalents from RS or Farnell. Sounds simple, its not - as some components are only identifiable by a batch number, meaning guesswork is required, and if they are SMT components then you need the skills of surgeon to desolder/re-solder successfully without damaging the new part.

Hence its easier to obtain a whole new board (assuming that board is the one that is faulty, and its not a short/overload somewhere else that's blown it).
Old 14 September 2014, 07:09 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

If you were a proper tv repairman then it would be repairable down to component level. Those were the good old days when my skills had value!
Old 14 September 2014, 07:14 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

right , got back from football . takes the back off checks the internal fuses diagnose it as the power board .

When in reality it turned out someone turned the extension socket off , probably my 3 year old daughter

its all working now
Old 14 September 2014, 07:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by Ant
right , got back from football . takes the back off checks the internal fuses diagnose it as the power board .

When in reality it turned out someone turned the extension socket off , probably my 3 year old daughter

its all working now
To teach the young apprentice during a tv repair that was dead, we would get him to leave the repair momentarily, remove the fuse in the plug and see if he could fathom out the problem. Obvious first then delve into the back of the(insert appliance)

There used to be an old repairman who used to fault find virtually with his electrician's neon screwdriver. Once we took neutral off the plug. He couldn't fathom out why everything was live. hehe

Last edited by andy97; 14 September 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 14 September 2014, 08:47 PM
daveyj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
If you were a proper tv repairman then it would be repairable down to component level. Those were the good old days when my skills had value!
Same for my Dad. He's hanging in there but the heady days of the 90s and the £1400 VHS decks are long gone. Throw away money now and it's killed that side of the industry.

Trending Topics

Old 14 September 2014, 08:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

We did that to a electronics/computing teacher at college with the overhead projector- He was so dependent ( bone idle) on his ready made OHP transparencies we figured he'd be useless without them.

We tested this theory by removing the fuse on the OHP.

Turns out we were right - he spent half hour panicking and trying to fix it. In between time replacing the fuse as he went out the room...and removing it again when he was distracted.....well until someone had the bright idea to throw the fuse out the window (not me)
Old 14 September 2014, 09:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by andy97

True, its all usually repair via replacement these days. A much reduced skill.

I like mucking about with stuff though - like the butchery, pictured, of my codge job of repairing a cracked PCB on my car radio (PCB tracks slightly wider than a single strand of wire - SMT capacitor/diode should give an idea of scale).

Its not pretty but it fixed a £260 head unit that would have otherwise been assigned to the bin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	17583  
Old 15 September 2014, 11:35 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

If you get a fibre glass rubbing pen, it cleans away the protective coating on the copper tracks to make it easier for the repair. If the board is exposed to the elements a light coat of pcb lacquer always helps memories of pcb repair. I once had to rebuild a 3 inch hole with wire bridge in an early projector tv. The cat pissed on the line output transformer resulting in cat smell fireball
Old 15 September 2014, 06:00 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I once needed a part for a vhs recorder, i phoned all the repair shops who refused to supply, in the end i went to the distributor who refused to supply also ...

There response, you might get it wrong and sue us. say what?

Mart
Old 15 September 2014, 07:33 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

I have had our miele induction hob repaired under warranty. It would of cost £600 to repair. I got the technician to leave the pcb for me to repair in case of future failures. Two output transistors required at £15 each. These are on order now
Old 16 September 2014, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mart360
I once needed a part for a vhs recorder, i phoned all the repair shops who refused to supply, in the end i went to the distributor who refused to supply also ...

There response, you might get it wrong and sue us. say what?

Mart
They did that when I tried to get a new touch-pad for our old Microwave (Sharp combination battle-ship). Nobody would supply me anything.

Oooh, I may electrocute myself - bless. Yes, I know they are a few Kilovolts hiding under there, but the big thick high-tension cables are a hint at what not to touch. It like working in a engine bay witha running engine...you don't touch a spark plug lead...do you? (brave/stupid if you do)...and FWIW modern car ignition runs over 30kV...three times more than a microwave.

I repaired it with conductive paint in the end (the touch pad is that clear plastic stuff and the conductive tracks had cracked from age).

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 September 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 16 September 2014, 02:32 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
They did that when I tried to get a new touch-pad for our old Microwave (Sharp combination battle-ship). Nobody would supply me anything.

Oooh, I may electrocute myself - bless. Yes, I know they are a few Kilovolts hiding under there, but the big thick high-tension cables are a hint at what not to touch. It like working in a engine bay witha running engine...you don't touch a spark plug lead...do you? (brave/stupid if you do)...and FWIW modern car ignition runs over 30kV...three times more than a microwave.

I repaired it with conductive paint in the end (the touch pad is that clear plastic stuff and the conductive tracks had cracked from age).
Microwave magnetron run at minus 1.8kv. Minus or positive is irrelevant, it's the milliamps that will kill you. I used an old Avo meter to check how much current was being drawn when the microwave was running, if it had symptoms of slow cooking.