Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Norfolk Police release fatal bike headcam footage

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2014, 09:49 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norfolk Police release fatal bike headcam footage

Quite a hard hitting watch and shows the moments leading up to the fatal collision. In my opinion, obviously if the biker hadn't been speeding he'd still be here today. Still a tragic loss though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2x...ature=youtu.be
Old 06 September 2014, 10:02 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is going to be a big one ..

I have to agree, the guy was riding like a mad man ..
Old 06 September 2014, 10:05 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

****!
Old 06 September 2014, 10:11 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Had to watch it again....

He knew there was a junction coming up and was going way too fast. You could see the cars waiting to turn. To me that would say "danger"

Should have slowed right down.

However, the driver should have seen him! The driver of the car is at fault i'd say... even at a slower speed a collision was still likely.
Old 06 September 2014, 10:20 AM
New_scooby_04

I should start by saying that I do hope the people of SN won't do the community a disservice with this thread.

The video was very sobering; seeing how a split second can end one life and cast such a shadow on countless others. I'd offer my condolences to all involved. I think the factors involved in this accident (and that's what is it, a tragic accident) are very obvious even to a lay person.

The one thing that struck me watching that video is what a bad idea those staggered, filter lane junctions that cross NSL roads are. In the UK we seem to generally get the idea that having traffic cross paths at high speed is a very bad idea, hence roundabouts. However, there are some NSL roads that still use these and they are buttock clenching to negotiate!

If there is a lesson to learn here it's that we ALL need to look out for each other and ride/drive defensively such that there are options if people make that most human of things: a mistake or oversight.

Ns04
Old 06 September 2014, 10:42 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Saw this yesterday on PH and watching it again, as then, sends a shiver through my body.

Hearing the lads last ever word is in itself absolute sobering.
Old 06 September 2014, 10:42 AM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Tragic for all those involved. I have to admit I think the driver was treated harshly by the courts. Approaching a junction at that kind of speed is, sadly, suicidal. I feel for the biker's family and friends and I hope the car driver can get back a normal life.

Edit - having seen it again, perhaps the driver should have been able to halt his manoeuvre in time? Very difficult to judge whilst sitting in an armchair.

I don't think the video will serve its purpose, at least not in the long term, but if it saves even one serious accident then credit to the family.

Last edited by dnc; 06 September 2014 at 10:53 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2014, 10:45 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I should start by saying that I do hope the people of SN won't do the community a disservice with this thread.

The video was very sobering; seeing how a split second can end one life and cast such a shadow on countless others. I'd offer my condolences to all involved. I think the factors involved in this accident (and that's what is it, a tragic accident) are very obvious even to a lay person.

The one thing that struck me watching that video is what a bad idea those staggered, filter lane junctions that cross NSL roads are. In the UK we seem to generally get the idea that having traffic cross paths at high speed is a very bad idea, hence roundabouts. However, there are some NSL roads that still use these and they are buttock clenching to negotiate!

If there is a lesson to learn here it's that we ALL need to look out for each other and ride/drive defensively such that there are options if people make that most human of things: a mistake or oversight.

Ns04
Good post.
Old 06 September 2014, 11:19 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Very difficult viewing, and definitely brings the message home to me that no amount of bike or car control ability can make up for speed that's inappropriate for location or conditions. Tragically, it's all too easy to be lulled into the false sense of security that it does, if you're not regularly on the lookout for it.
Old 06 September 2014, 11:52 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very sobering viewing, and timely for me because my eldest daughter has had her first driving lesson this week

The headings to the video seem to suggest he was doing 97mph, that does seem a suicidal speed to approach those junctions, they are (as someone pointed out above) a nightmare at legal speeds.

But the driver of the car seems to have been successfully prosecuted, but you only need a tiny lapse in concentration to miss someone approaching at those speeds

Very sad
Old 06 September 2014, 12:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Fault on both sides in my eyes, but tragic for all involved nonetheless. A lot of people do seem utterly unable to judge an oncoming vehicle's speed with any sense of accuracy and it has always worried me when I see this result in a near miss or worse.

As New_scooby_04 said we all need to learn to pay a lot more attention and never let concentration lapse.
Old 06 September 2014, 01:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hopefully this thread won't turn into a blame game thing, as that isn't what the family wants, and not why they released the film, which was to raise awareness.

It does make me think even more about wether I'd want to get a bike, as you are so very, very exposed. Yes, you have to be responsible for how you are riding, but you cannot predict what others will do. In a car it might result in a headlamp getting knocked off, or a new radiator, but on a bike, it can be far more serious.

If the footage makes people think and act differently and it saves lives, then it has in some way helped.
Old 06 September 2014, 01:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

All very sad of course.

To me biker was travelling way too fast. 20 mph slower and he might have had time to swerve into the bushes on the left and miss the car.

Bit of a dozy driver but I missed the bit about a prosecution - what was the outcome?

And what was the speed limit on that section of road?

My heart sank when I saw how excited mum was when they got her son his first bike at 16,

I hope video achieves its aims but I doubt it.

dl
Old 06 September 2014, 02:31 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Bit of a dozy driver but I missed the bit about a prosecution - what was the outcome?

dl
I think he was disqualified for 18 months, some community service and a small fine.
Old 06 September 2014, 03:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a biker I feel for the car driver in this, yes he made a mistake but the biker doing almost a ton coming to a junction is the one most in the wrong and has paid with his life, when riding a bike you need to do so defensively which is something a biker of 20 odd years experience should know and riding like that past a junction is a big no no in my book.

I have looked car drivers in the eyes and they have still pulled out on me, and as a car driver I have also not seen bikes traveling at silly speeds, which at the time makes you realise that in past incidents where I'd screamed at car drivers that actually it's my fault for going too fast. It's sooooo difficult to see bikes on the horizon with all the background they are very easily camouflaged and moving at those sorts of speeds they don't half cover ground quickly.

Obviously very sad for all involved but the real killer here was speed and poor judgment on both sides, if the biker had been traveling closer to the speed limit at that moment in time the driver may of had more time to see him and the rider would of had more time to avoid as well as possibly the outcome not being the loss of life due to significantly lower speed, If your going to ride like that then one has to accept that there may be consequences.

I'm no angle when on a bike and have also done very silly things on them and in cars over the years at the end of the day there is always going to be a risk if your doing something outside the rules of the road and if it were me on the bike I would not think it fair that the car driver was punished because I was going way way over the limit, it's enough that he has to live with the thoughts of that day for the rest of his life.

RIP.
Old 06 September 2014, 03:30 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

As an ex biker that spent many years close to people who died who have serious injuries due to their actions on bikes I feel I am firmly on the side of bikers most of the time but when I watched this a few days ago I felt it was purely down to the bikers actions.
I have to question why someone would wear a camera, whether it was a regular thing he did or whether he went out specifically that day to film himself at ridiculous speed.
A car driver is selfish and only ever considers where another car might be and so I'd have to agree with ditchmyster any biker rides with the thought process that a car driver will always do the unthinkable. Only a few years on a bike will teach you how to drive a car unselfishly.

Last edited by Kwik; 06 September 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06 September 2014, 03:51 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
A car driver is selfish and only ever considers where another car might be ......
Bit of a generalisation

FYI I have quite a few biker friends and I always take extra care, in my car, when a bike is around. They invariably do not return the same courtesy.

Edit - I see I have made a bit of a generalisation also ;o)

Last edited by dnc; 06 September 2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06 September 2014, 04:47 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The families involved agreed for this to be released to educate both drivers and bikers to the risks we all take whenever we use the roads, not to allow armchair juries to apportion blame.

Note that the rider was the brother of an old member of SN so please consider the families when you make your comments.
Old 06 September 2014, 04:58 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Been there, done that, except I hit the rear near side of the car; very similar circumstances. It turned my stomach watching it and it makes me see how lucky I am to be here today. I walked, or should I say limped away with a sprained ankle having gone clean over the top of the car and didn’t hit anything.
I just get as nervous as hell now every time I approach a junction like that where I can see a car waiting to turn right, so I slow right down, probably p11sing off everybody behind me, but I just don’t trust other road users anymore.
I got reported for driving without consideration for other road users, but it never went anywhere. Not sure about the car driver, but they ended up having grief with the insurance – something to do with the driver effectively being the main/only user of the car, but the policy had her mum and or dad as the policy holders. I did get paid out, but it took two and a half years to sort out.
The police basically said to me that although I was in the wrong by going too fast, it doesn’t absolve the other driver from also committing an offence.
Old 06 September 2014, 05:06 PM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Xline
I don't understand what the purpose of this video is?
The bloke was riding way too fast for the conditions.
End.
That is the whole point....
To show how we are all just so very close to the END.
As a biker myself in the past , I know I have travelled at ridiculous speeds wholly inappropriate at times and can only thank my lucky stars that I "got away" with it.
If this video makes one person slow down then it has served its purpose.
RIP fella...
Condolences to the family's involved.
Old 06 September 2014, 05:08 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I was sent this image yesterday - didn't quite realise what it was about but the image itself was quite shocking with the needle sitting close to a ton and the car across the path of the bike. Having watched the video today I get what it is about, I dont mean this to sound as it probably will, but 20 or 30mph faster he may well have been past the point where the clio was a danger to him, 20 or 30mph slower he may have been able to go around the clio.

I like others have travelled on national speed limit roads at more than twice the limit and enjoyed the experience, I have also made many errors of judgement when behind the wheel. It is only good fortune on my part that these two factors have not occured at one time. It is for those reasons among others I could not trust myself to be on a bike which is so easily capable of reaching those speeds.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 06 September 2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06 September 2014, 05:10 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dnc
Bit of a generalisation
It is, but it's also "proven".
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...car/23971.html

I'm certainly not saying all bike riders are innocent.
Old 06 September 2014, 05:11 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
The families involved agreed for this to be released to educate both drivers and bikers to the risks we all take whenever we use the roads, not to allow armchair juries to apportion blame.

Note that the rider was the brother of an old member of SN so please consider the families when you make your comments.
Well it was always going to be discussed by people and they're always going to have an opinion that doesn't necessarily show their loved one in the best light.

Just the way of the world.
Old 06 September 2014, 05:14 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
but I just don’t trust other road users anymore.
+1
I assume the worst at all times.
Old 06 September 2014, 08:31 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't the point of posting this footage on social media a simple twofold message

Bikers, slow down

And car drivers, look (and maybe look harder and longer) before you manoeuvre

I have shown this video to my 17 year old daughter who has just started driving this week, it brings it home better than any lecture from her dad
Old 06 September 2014, 08:34 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

I quit bikes a few years ago , it was pointed out to me my ***** were bigger than my brains. A near miss on a bad bend made me realise that my missis and kids would be laying flowers sooner rather than later

RIP fella

Also as stated , when out on the bikes I used to treat every car (don't get me started on fvcking buses pulling out) as a threat to me....but as like most riders I rode mine like a cvnt 90% of the time....it's the petrol head in us
Old 06 September 2014, 10:33 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Too fast after a days hooning....written on the road is "SLOW" ... the driver wouldn't see a bike coming at that speed with enough time to have changed the outcone IMHO... I generally side with motorbikes, but this is rider error with tradgic consequences.
Old 06 September 2014, 11:00 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I was sent this image yesterday - didn't quite realise what it was about but the image itself was quite shocking with the needle sitting close to a ton and the car across the path of the bike. Having watched the video today I get what it is about, I dont mean this to sound as it probably will, but 20 or 30mph faster he may well have been past the point where the clio was a danger to him, 20 or 30mph slower he may have been able to go around the clio.

I like others have travelled on national speed limit roads at more than twice the limit and enjoyed the experience, I have also made many errors of judgement when behind the wheel. It is only good fortune on my part that these two factors have not occured at one time. It is for those reasons among others I could not trust myself to be on a bike which is so easily capable of reaching those speeds.

Wow! I didn't realise he was going that fast. Insane. I wouldn't risk anything over 40/50mph in that situation (presuming that is a 60 limit road)

I quit bikes just before i had kids and as much as i'd love to get one, I just couldn't do it. I've had one head on crash (learner driver - his fault) with a car and escaped with just a broken leg, I wouldn't take the risk now i have kids. It's ok trusting myself but there are too many idiots on the road.
Old 06 September 2014, 11:03 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Also as stated , when out on the bikes I used to treat every car (don't get me started on fvcking buses pulling out) as a threat to me....but as like most riders I rode mine like a cvnt 90% of the time....it's the petrol head in us
Very honest of you mate!

Nobody gets a bike to travel at the speed limit!!
Old 07 September 2014, 01:48 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by donny andi
I quit bikes a few years ago , it was pointed out to me my ***** were bigger than my brains. A near miss on a bad bend made me realise that my missis and kids would be laying flowers sooner rather than later

RIP fella

Exactly the same here, what I did on my bikes I look back on now and think what a **** (the daily Blackwall Tunnel bike grand prix being a prime example) and the last near miss I had is what made me give up bikes for good. I still love bikes but I will never let myself get another one, I used up more than my fair share of fortune in 15 years of riding every day in all weather. I can't even bring myself to watch the video as I can guess how horrific it is and will remind me of all the serious near misses I had and how fortunate I was they were only near misses.

I just hope the video serves to save lives as intended.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 07 September 2014 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Norfolk Police release fatal bike headcam footage