Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK planned to train Syria rebels - it's so bizarre it's almost funny

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2014, 09:59 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK planned to train Syria rebels - it's so bizarre it's almost funny

So it transpires that the UK had a plan to train the Syrian rebels to overthrow Assad, but it was rejected as too risky (thankfully).

Syria conflict: UK planned to train and equip 100,000 rebels

Presumably these rebels are the same ones who are currently taking over Iraq and pledging allegiance to Sharia law and Al Qaeda amongst others... the ones we are soon to be tasked with getting rid of.

Or were we going to give them a 'which extremist groups do you sympathise with' test first and only train the moderates?

You couldn't make it up

Last edited by f1_fan; 05 July 2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04 July 2014, 10:18 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

They're all crazed nutters.

Leave them to it.

This bloke seems a friendly chap too; m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28155683

Last edited by Matteeboy; 04 July 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04 July 2014, 11:54 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
So it transpires that the UK had a plan to train the Syrian rebels to overthrow Assad, but it was rejected as too risky (thankfully).

Syria conflict: UK planned to train and equip 100,000 rebels

Presumably these rebels are the same ones who are currently taking over Iraq and pledging allegiance to Sharia law and Al Qaeda amongst others... the ones we are soon to be tasked with getting rid of.

Or were we going to give them a 'which extremist groups do you sympathise with' test first and only train the moderates?

You couldn't make it up

It would certainly be daft to do it now. However whenthese plans were drawn up by the military the situation on the ground in Syriawas very different to how it is now.

Originally the uprising against Assad was by moderate ‘FreeSyrian’ fighters, and was inspired by the ‘Arab Spring’ movement across theregion. Syria has subsequently become a lightning rod for jihadist from aroundthe world.

I certainly don’t think that there is too much militarilythat we can do anymore. That said thereis a huge problem developing though, one that has consequences for our futuresecurity.

We should be doing more to help those who have hadtheir lives turned upside down by this crisis though.
Old 04 July 2014, 12:08 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
]We should be doing more to help those who have hadtheir lives turned upside down by this crisis though.
No, we shouldn't as, for instance, it's mainly our fault Iraq is the way it is now!

We should keep the hell out of it until we are capable of actually doing some genuine good which means changing tack completely on our generally warmongering stance against Muslim countries!

We need a complete rethink of foreign policy and I doubt Cameron or Miliband's people are the people to do that!
Old 04 July 2014, 12:11 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

No, we shouldn't as, for instance, it's mainly our fault Iraq is the way it is now!

We should keep the hell out of it until we are capable of actually doing some genuine good which means changing tack completely on our generally warmongering stance against Muslim countries!

We need a complete rethink of foreign policy and I doubt Cameron or Miliband's people are the people to do that!
I was talking about humanitarian support for the millions of displaced Syrians - are you saying we should even do that?
Old 04 July 2014, 12:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wouldn't be the first time the Uk has done something like this and there was overt support for the Lybian rebels back in 2011. It's all about making a decision based upon the best information available at the time.

Maybe in hindsight if we had supported the rebels they wouldn't have felt abandoned and turned to AQ for support
Old 04 July 2014, 12:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I was talking about humanitarian support for the millions of displaced Syrians - are you saying we should even do that?
Do our government do humanitarian support? Only if delivered on the back of a bombing raid in recent times!
Old 04 July 2014, 12:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Maybe in hindsight if we had supported the rebels they wouldn't have felt abandoned and turned to AQ for support
Many of them were already supporters of AQ and other extremist groups, that was one of the reasons it was deemed too risky thankfully!
Old 04 July 2014, 12:24 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I don't think the desire for the restoration of the Caliphate is extreme.
Old 04 July 2014, 12:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Do our government do humanitarian support? Only if delivered on the back of a bombing raid in recent times!
I'll take that as a no then
Old 04 July 2014, 02:10 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Well said we are damned if we do or damned it we don't, best to just pull back and have a good old rethink.

For those of you who are better informed than myself, if the EU continues the way it is would that lead to the decision being taken out of are hands in the future? So it would be a case of being given our orders to attack or support from the EU?
Old 04 July 2014, 02:11 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I'll take that as a no then
You'll take it how you want, you always do! Crack on
Old 04 July 2014, 03:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I don't think the desire for the restoration of the Caliphate is extreme.
Maybe not but their methods of achieving it surely are?

============

Re the Syrian question with hindsight perhaps we should have supported the Russians who wanted to keep Assad in power. Perhaps we could have lent on him to moderate his rule. At least then Syria might still be an organised country with only a few thousand killed rather then the hundreds of thousands likely to be killed and a terrorist cancer spreading throughout the region (and beyond?).

dl
Old 04 July 2014, 03:05 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Maybe not but their methods of achieving it surely are?
In what sense?
Old 04 July 2014, 03:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

In what sense?
Beheading people who don't agree for starters. dl
Old 04 July 2014, 03:17 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Beheading people who don't agree for starters. dl
It puts fear in the hearts of their enemies and marks them out as ruthless and determined warriors.
Old 04 July 2014, 03:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That isn't what a Khalifat is supposed to do ,as far as i can tell

These are a bunch of disaffected youth who will hopefully get obliterated by al qaueda

Last edited by dpb; 04 July 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04 July 2014, 03:51 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Iam not to sure doing nothing is a good idea. Just because you run the risk of making it worse does not give us a reason to leave thousands to die, thats what a coward would do.

Or alternatively, backing some political movement that sees thousands die and telling yourself that it's a lesser evil is also a cowardly move.

What I think a stong person should do is bomb them all and call it a day, no more suffering, job done.

shhh, only joking.
Old 04 July 2014, 04:02 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

It puts fear in the hearts of their enemies and marks them out as ruthless and determined warriors.
No it doesn't, it makes them look like the epitome of cowardice. Utterly vile excuses for human beings.
Old 04 July 2014, 05:07 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
No it doesn't, it makes them look like the epitome of cowardice. Utterly vile excuses for human beings.
Surely you'll admit that those wielding machetes whilst screaming "Alan's snack bar" are a fearsome bunch. I appreciate you're one of Cornwall's most formidable athletes, Matthew, but do they not make you shudder just a little?
Old 04 July 2014, 05:13 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Surely you'll admit that those wielding machetes whilst screaming "Alan's snack bar" are a fearsome bunch. I appreciate you're one of Cornwall's most formidable athletes, Matthew, but do they not make you shudder just a little?
If they make your shoulder shudder then you need to mtfu bruv!

There is nothing brave in attacking those that are weaker than you. It makes no difference whether you are a guerilla fighter or a man in uniform. Attacking the weak has no honour.

I think the best solution for the place is to simply stop interfering with it. Leave it alone. After all the bloodshed things will eventually get better. Then maybe the whole region can progress forward.

Wishful thinking i know however constantly interfering with other countries affairs will always make us a target. A no brainer really.

Last edited by Shaid; 04 July 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04 July 2014, 05:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Old 04 July 2014, 06:48 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaid

There is nothing brave in attacking those that are weaker than you. It makes no difference whether you are a guerilla fighter or a man in uniform. Attacking the weak has no honour.

I think the best solution for the place is to simply stop interfering with it. Leave it alone. After all the bloodshed things will eventually get better. Then maybe the whole region can progress forward.

Wishful thinking i know however constantly interfering with other countries affairs will always make us a target. A no brainer really.
Totally agree with you Shaid. Steve.
Old 04 July 2014, 08:08 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Well said!
Old 04 July 2014, 08:09 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaid

Bang on TBH.
Old 04 July 2014, 08:34 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Tee hee!

Not really; I'm sure they'd last mere seconds against proper soldiers of which our country has plenty.
Old 04 July 2014, 08:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Tee hee!

Not really; I'm sure they'd last mere seconds against proper soldiers of which our country has plenty.
What about our country's snipers?

Good to see you about in here after a while, Matt.

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 July 2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04 July 2014, 08:41 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Tee hee!

They've lasted more than a decade in Afghanistan.
Old 04 July 2014, 08:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Only by cheating.

Cheers Turbo!
Old 04 July 2014, 08:56 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but they haven't come across the bumpkins and pitchforks from Cornwall yet.

And 'Alan's snack bar'

Quick Reply: UK planned to train Syria rebels - it's so bizarre it's almost funny