Couch to 5km.

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2014, 10:55 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couch to 5km.

Anyone done it? http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Decided I need to try and get fit. I've tried running in the past and it's not really agreed with me but I'm wondering if it was to do with my approach (i.e. just go out and run until knackered). Always put it down to my build not being ideally suited, 6ft3 and 16st, and I prefer cycling. Problem is it's a struggle to fit stuff in with two young kids to deal with.

With the running I could probably make time for an hour three times a week and it minimal faf to get out there exercising i.e. get dressed, put on trainers, go running.

The couch to 5k program sounds pretty good as it breaks you into running a decent distance over 9 weeks. I'm probably going to give it a go anyway
Old 03 July 2014, 11:15 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any normal person wont need 9 weeks to do 5k. I reckon even if you were horrendously unfit, you could do it half that time, even less if you stick to your hour 3 times a week

If you walked 5k it would take an hour, and if you managed to jog for an hour you would do 10k!

BTW i'm 6'4, 15 stone and 38 years old. Not the greatest athelete in the world, but certainly no couch potato. On Tuesday I walked 8k to and from work, then done 5k jog on a treadmill down the gym in the evening

Good luck anyway, I'm sure you'll reach your target with ease
Old 03 July 2014, 11:32 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I started with the couch to 5k and I'd recommend it as a starting point. I found myself setting my own targets after about week 2 and progressing much faster though
Old 03 July 2014, 11:41 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my unfit 13yr old daughter to follow this : http://www.clearskyapps.com/portfolio/couch-to-5k

Looks to be the same programme but it certainly worked...

You can then move on to 10k etc. :

http://www.clearskyapps.com/#ourapps
Old 03 July 2014, 11:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Definitely a good start; 5k is quite daunting if you don't run at all.

I do it in about 18 minutes but I'm then broken for a couple of days.
Old 03 July 2014, 01:09 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As has already been said above, that's quite a generous timescale.

I did couch to 10k in that time.
Old 03 July 2014, 01:29 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

first things first get proper running shoes - not trainers, but running shoes

from a running shoe shop - not a sports shop, a running shoe shop - also forget any notion of "brands" get running shoes that are designed for the way you run

apologies if you have running shoes

ps I do 5k in 27 odd mins - and am shattered at the end, but when I started running (I always hated it at school etc) in my late 30's I could barely run for more that 400 yards )and I was reasonably fit (swimming/surfing ect) just not "running" fit

also you are absolutely correct the simple beauty of running is it is time efficient, and you only need a pair of shorts and some running shoes, so really no excuses

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 03 July 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03 July 2014, 01:40 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

500 yards could ld kill you if you've never run and are 17 stone and have medical problems, need some perspective and get health check as well.

Did 5k in 23,.....since early everybody else is bragging
Old 03 July 2014, 02:32 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, it's unlikely I'll keel over and die after 500 yards. I'm not that unfit

I've also read that a decent pair of "running" shoes is a good idea.

So sounds like I shouldn't have too much problem, I guess the program is aimed towards true couch potatoes, which I'm not, but I'm also not a runner so it seems like a good way to get into it without being too much of a shock to the system. Will happily aim for 10k or more in the long run (ha ha) if it works for me
Old 03 July 2014, 03:29 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I did it a few years ago, the first few weeks were boring to be honest but around week five it got a bit more interesting. I do think it's a good way to get into running if you haven't done it before, especially for us mere mortals (obv. the S'Net hardmen don't need to do it, they run marathons every day while carrying a small child on each shoulder).
Old 03 July 2014, 04:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Going out for a run is a waste of a good drive
Old 03 July 2014, 04:42 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I did it a few years ago, the first few weeks were boring to be honest but around week five it got a bit more interesting. I do think it's a good way to get into running if you haven't done it before, especially for us mere mortals (obv. the S'Net hardmen don't need to do it, they run marathons every day while carrying a small child on each shoulder).
Actually a large sheep on each shoulder. It's makes you sweat more.

As Hodgy says, get shoes by fit not brand; Salomon suit me off road, Asics on road but it still varies according to each "model."

If you want to improve quickly, it has to be at least a bit unpleasant. I still grimace towards the end of most runs and even feel sick occasionally.

If it don't hurt, it don't work.

Zip; could be tricky on 1 ft wide coast paths with loads of stiles ;-)

Last edited by Matteeboy; 03 July 2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03 July 2014, 05:27 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'd turn me ankle on those sort of paths - treacherous.
Old 03 July 2014, 05:28 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy

If you want to improve quickly, it has to be at least a bit unpleasant. I still grimace towards the end of most runs and even feel sick occasionally.
I vomited in a lay-by once after a particularly unpleasant descent of a fell

The fell-runners I see when I've been in the Lakes are hard-core, I'm in awe of them at the same time thinking they are proper nutters. What takes me all day, with a rucksack full of water/ food etc, they do in ninety minutes with no supplies, crazy people
Old 03 July 2014, 05:29 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I'd turn me ankle on those sort of paths - treacherous.
I was very close to falling off a 200ft drop when I slipped a couple of months ago. Certainly woke me up!

You do need to be very careful.
Old 04 July 2014, 07:56 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You call that running, I can walk 5k in about 35/40mins and it's up hill and down dale.
Old 04 July 2014, 10:39 AM
ChrisB

I vomited in a lay-by once after a particularly unpleasant descent of a fell

The fell-runners I see when I've been in the Lakes are hard-core, I'm in awe of them at the same time thinking they are proper nutters. What takes me all day, with a rucksack full of water/ food etc, they do in ninety minutes with no supplies, crazy people
There's nothing quite like being put in your place by a fell runner. The best ones look to be about 90, stick thin and go flying past you (uphill) in torrential rain in just shorts and a vest top
Old 04 July 2014, 11:00 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've run up and down a fair few mountains all over Europe; it's stunning but obviously quite tiring.

My usual coast runs have at least 1000ft of climbing.

Hill runners often have a little more bulk than road whippets; I've been told by a few people that I look like a fell runner. If that means 90 and stick thin, I might cry a little.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 04 July 2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04 July 2014, 11:11 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Don't worry, it's unlikely I'll keel over and die after 500 yards. I'm not that unfit

I've also read that a decent pair of "running" shoes is a good idea.

So sounds like I shouldn't have too much problem, I guess the program is aimed towards true couch potatoes, which I'm not, but I'm also not a runner so it seems like a good way to get into it without being too much of a shock to the system. Will happily aim for 10k or more in the long run (ha ha) if it works for me
I am not sure where you are - but look up http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

hopefully there will be one near you - they are a free 5k timed run every Saturday morning (staffed and marshalled by volunteers)

you can register on the website to get a timing barcode or simply turn up and run

all abilities take part - and a very friendly crowd
Old 04 July 2014, 11:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Do you really have to lump your iphone around with you to benefit from those apps?
Old 04 July 2014, 11:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Do you really have to lump your iphone around with you to benefit from those apps?
what apps?
Old 04 July 2014, 11:58 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
I am not sure where you are - but look up http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

hopefully there will be one near you - they are a free 5k timed run every Saturday morning (staffed and marshalled by volunteers)

you can register on the website to get a timing barcode or simply turn up and run

all abilities take part - and a very friendly crowd
Nice one, I do have a Park Run near me it seems, once I get up to my 5k I'll see if I can do it from time to time.
Old 04 July 2014, 03:26 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
There's nothing quite like being put in your place by a fell runner. The best ones look to be about 90, stick thin and go flying past you (uphill) in torrential rain in just shorts and a vest top
Yup. I got chatting to one a couple of years ago, I was going up (slowly) and he was legging it down. Stick thin legs, tiny shorts, and what looked like ladies tights. After our chat he was off again and had disappeared from view within seconds. Realised about ten minutes later I'd been chatting to Joss Naylor, he would have been 76 at the time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Naylor
Old 04 July 2014, 03:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Quite an encounter
Old 04 July 2014, 03:57 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Plus they aren't very accurate and useless at altitude (you need a built in barometer for accuracy. GPS altitude is pretty poor). I use a GPS watch thingy and it's far better; the phone apps work but used to drive me nuts.

Lydia; where do you run? Sounds like you know your stuff.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 04 July 2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04 July 2014, 05:42 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Lydia; where do you run? Sounds like you know your stuff.
No, I am clueless.
I don't run at all, I just did the C25K because I wanted to know that I could do it in case of a zombie attack or something, but I am not built for running

I walk; in the Lakes, Peaks, Brecons, Scotland...just anywhere that's not flat really (where I live is like a snooker table). All holidays are booked around walking, the Lakes is favourite as I'm trying to do all the Wainwright fells. With walking you don't have to worry about beating speeds, you can enjoy the scenery and have frequent stops for photos and snacks.

I'm not good with heights so that makes it more interesting ridges and edges when 2/3000ft up absolutely terrify me, hence me throwing up once after I'd got down, the adrenaline had gone bonkers.
Old 04 July 2014, 05:46 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Quite an encounter
Yes, he was thrilled to meet me
Old 04 July 2014, 05:56 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Anyone done it? http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Decided I need to try and get fit. I've tried running in the past and it's not really agreed with me but I'm wondering if it was to do with my approach (i.e. just go out and run until knackered). Always put it down to my build not being ideally suited, 6ft3 and 16st, and I prefer cycling. Problem is it's a struggle to fit stuff in with two young kids to deal with.

With the running I could probably make time for an hour three times a week and it minimal faf to get out there exercising i.e. get dressed, put on trainers, go running.

The couch to 5k program sounds pretty good as it breaks you into running a decent distance over 9 weeks. I'm probably going to give it a go anyway
Just get on with it you big girls blouse.
Old 04 July 2014, 07:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

No, I am clueless.
I don't run at all, I just did the C25K because I wanted to know that I could do it in case of a zombie attack or something, but I am not built for running

I walk; in the Lakes, Peaks, Brecons, Scotland...just anywhere that's not flat really (where I live is like a snooker table). All holidays are booked around walking, the Lakes is favourite as I'm trying to do all the Wainwright fells. With walking you don't have to worry about beating speeds, you can enjoy the scenery and have frequent stops for photos and snacks.

I'm not good with heights so that makes it more interesting ridges and edges when 2/3000ft up absolutely terrify me, hence me throwing up once after I'd got down, the adrenaline had gone bonkers.
An interesting approach!

I always head for hills and mountains when away; the feeling of freedom when mountain/fell running is amazing. Plus the views are always stunning.

Not good for speed though; damn hills ruin your average mile pace!
Old 04 July 2014, 09:00 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

An interesting approach!
I thought if I kept going higher that the problem would ease off but it doesn't. It's not a fear of heights because I am fine looking out of really tall buildings or on those glass floors in towers, as long as my feet are on something solid, but I get dizzy if I stand on a kitchen chair. It is a physical feeling of vertigo.

I love/ hate the buzz and yes, the views are incredible,

Ranulph Fiennes thought if he climbed the north face of the Eiger it would cure his vertigo, he did and it didn't, so no hope for me but I'll keep plodding on.

(sorry for hijacking thread Graz)

Quick Reply: Couch to 5km.