Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sum ov the gramma on this sight is getin ard to undastand

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2014, 06:09 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sum ov the gramma on this sight is getin ard to undastand

Two "New Posts" I have just read made little or no sense, and to be honest after the first two sentences on both I gave up!

Now I know I'm no expert by any means, and I actually do make my fair share of typo's which is usually down to either typing too fast or using a mobile device. However text speak with no punctuation seems to becoming common place at the moment

My daughter is soon to be 9 years old, so when she turns the age where I hand her a mobile phone (probably when she goes to high school), she'll be getting the hard chat about texting her dad in cryptic text, and that it will not be tolerated

Ta 4 reeding every1

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 28 May 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 28 May 2014, 06:16 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I gave up years ago, the place is full of illiterate thickos and if you do call someone out on their grammar or spelling then the usual " I'm dyslexic !! " excuse is trotted out. No excuse for using the spell checker
Old 28 May 2014, 06:24 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only cold comfort to be had is that the grammatical mish-mash is usually more entertaining than the drivel that sometimes masquerades as a worthy post.
Old 28 May 2014, 06:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree more Rob, but apparently it doesn't matter or so the thick illiterate ****s always tell me when I pick them up on it!
Old 28 May 2014, 06:36 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Rob name and shame them.

Innit aye 4coff
Old 28 May 2014, 06:53 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Couldn't agree more Rob, but apparently it doesn't matter or so the thick illiterate ****s always tell me when I pick them up on it!
You often make spelling mistakes.
Old 28 May 2014, 06:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yo no woh? Om gonna tipe like oi spayk. Cos if yo dunno woh am on abot, yam saft in the ed! Yo bay use yar noggin if yo cor understand it!

Trending Topics

Old 28 May 2014, 06:59 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yo no woh? Om gonna tipe like oi spayk. Cos if yo dunno woh am on abot, yam saft in the ed! Yo bay use yar noggin if yo cor understand it!

Old 28 May 2014, 07:08 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
You often make spelling mistakes.
No, I make typographical errors! My spelling and grammar are first class thank you.
Old 28 May 2014, 07:30 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

See, this is the bit that's wrong. I can happily allow people making the odd mistake, that's fair enough but to simply not make the effort because 'it doesn't matter' is just tragic.
Old 28 May 2014, 07:45 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
Rob name and shame them.

Innit aye 4coff
Icouldn’t do that
Old 28 May 2014, 07:47 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

No, I make typographical errors! My spelling and grammar are first class thank you.
Ah, doesn't matter then .
Old 28 May 2014, 08:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
See, this is the bit that's wrong. I can happily allow people making the odd mistake, that's fair enough but to simply not make the effort because 'it doesn't matter' is just tragic.
Precisely, but you get it more and more these days almost to the point where you can end up getting ridiculed for being in favour of good grammar and proper spelling
Old 28 May 2014, 08:22 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Oh dear

Not even text talk.
Old 28 May 2014, 08:24 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I see what you did
Old 29 May 2014, 02:18 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Are you a yam yam by any chance?
Old 29 May 2014, 02:23 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cheaper imprezas get the thicker the owners become, wrxs can be had by the benefit boys now hence the txt spk m8
Old 29 May 2014, 02:43 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
LOL!
Old 29 May 2014, 03:12 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

I have had very little schooling due to personal reasons and as a result i have to try VERY hard to be literate. I try my best and use Google/spell checker with the hope that this is enough to get my point across . I do however get picked up on with my mistakes from time to time and just wish people knew how hard I was trying. I think it can be worth giving some folk the benefit of doubt and try to understand that for a lot of people it is of great regret that they can not spell to a good standard (me included).

However I believe that somebody's ability to spell is not a true indication of their intelligence (very convenient for him I hear you say) and i my self became very successful in business due to my ability to understand my weaknesses with a dash of common sense.

Spelling standards however do seem to be dropping, their was a time that I felt in the minority but seem to be in the ever growing majority.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:49 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chris j t
I have had very little schooling due to personal reasons and as a result i have to try VERY hard to be literate. I try my best and use Google/spell checker with the hope that this is enough to get my point across . I do however get picked up on with my mistakes from time to time and just wish people knew how hard I was trying. I think it can be worth giving some folk the benefit of doubt and try to understand that for a lot of people it is of great regret that they can not spell to a good standard (me included).

However I believe that somebody's ability to spell is not a true indication of their intelligence (very convenient for him I hear you say) and i my self became very successful in business due to my ability to understand my weaknesses with a dash of common sense.

Spelling standards however do seem to be dropping, their was a time that I felt in the minority but seem to be in the ever growing majority.
I think that's the point of the OP...mostly down to laziness which is really just a bloody poor show. You should be applauded for recognising a weakness and putting in the extra effort to address it

Dumb, lazy and poor seem to be common bedfellows too though...awaits a roasting
Old 29 May 2014, 04:32 PM
bmw730i
Scooby Regular

You must really have a lot of time on your hands to be concerned with other peoples grammar as I find myself to busy to care.

And the point about how cheap a wrx is? No offence but an STI isn't exactly a Lamborghini is it? I like Subaru's but I'm under no illusion it's a low priced fast 4 door saloon and a 10 - 20k car is nothing extraordinary.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:38 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmw730i
You must really have a lot of time on your hands to be concerned with other peoples grammar as I find myself to busy to care.

And the point about how cheap a wrx is? No offence but an STI isn't exactly a Lamborghini is it? I like Subaru's but I'm under no illusion it's a low priced fast 4 door saloon and a 10 - 20k car is nothing extraordinary.
Everyone has a different annoyance trigger, a bit like opinions.

It isn't a Lambo but used values have fallen through the floor...when classics were £25k and there was a six month waiting list this site was a very different place
Old 29 May 2014, 04:49 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't notice the extreme text speak that some of you are making it out to be. What I do notice is the subtle grammatical errors such as:

Brought and Bought
Their, There, and They're
Not using capital I's
nd instead of And

etc etc

...not really subtle but you get what I mean.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:58 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I blame the school system, we all make mistakes from time to time for various reasons, I do sometimes find it rather tedious when someone feels the need to score points off the backs of others, there's no need for it.

Text speakers can **** off though.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Birmingham?
Old 29 May 2014, 05:04 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I blame the school system, we all make mistakes from time to time for various reasons, I do sometimes find it rather tedious when someone feels the need to score points off the backs of others, there's no need for it.

Text speakers can **** off though.
mistakes are one thing laziness is quite another
Old 29 May 2014, 05:07 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

Find the text speak hard to understand so generally give up trying to read it. My spelling and grammar is poor and have no intention of actively correcting.

Would rather one meaningful/helpful post poorly written than large amount of well written drivel.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:16 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris j t

Chris your grammar is similar to mine, I also try very hard when I write or type, but the main issue I have with myself is I rush.

I landed a job 12 years ago that needed very limited computer skills, but as time passed more and more of my job required me to type, I now spend a 1/3 of my working day behind one, and I'm quite a wizard with a lot of various software such as Cad, Advance Excel formulas and much more. So for those to say that their upbringing is to blame, sorry I don't buy it all. Yes some have had trouble upbringing, but we are talking about guys in their 30's who cant be bothered to learn! The youth text speak is just acceptable in my opinion, as it does save a lot of time, but when that translates into full blown out paragraphs I simply haven't the time to decipher it!

I wouldn't put myself in a position where I would embarrass myself in front of my employer with rash emails etc. so as you say, Google and spell check become a common function, and that I'm also learning to slow my typing down as well as think about what I am typing in advance helps me a lot.

^ the above though has been scrambled through whilst I have sip of my coffee at work

Rob
Old 29 May 2014, 06:20 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rob you learnt as you went along by your own admission, not everyone sits at a desk typing for half of the day, most develop and improve upon the skills required throughout their daily lives. Most of what I learned at school has been of very little use to me during my working life beyond the basics so tailed off during that time as it wasn't a necessity, most of what I did with the written word was ticking boxes any writing I did was minimal, however my communication and installation skills improved to a level where I became one of the best in the business.

The thing that I don't like about such threads is it draws out the worst in some people that feel as though they are somehow superior beings based upon their ability to spell or to type grammatically correct sentences, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, it's part of what makes the world go round and to pick on a particular weakness is nothing but mean spiritedness, those doing so need to take a long hard look at themselves and ask why they feel the need to do that to another human being that has obviously been less fortunate than themselves in their education, quite possibly through no fault of their own.

I had a very average education which was not a reflection of my intellect but my social economic / ethnic background, streaming is the term that was used at the time I believe, because of which I became an engineer as opposed to a lawyer, computer scientist or an artist all of which I was interested in doing but was forced into metal work, technical drawing and no way could I get into computer studies despite being one of the best in my year at north star basic, they laughed when I said I wanted to do business studies.

Point being up bringing does have something to do with it, both my parents worked shifts, mother was a nurse and father was a miner, I was too busy learning to defend myself to do most of my home work because not getting my *** kicked was a bigger priority than learning the difference between there, their and they're, which incidentally I do get. Not everyone has parents who have the time and knowledge to impart such pearls of wisdom onto their children, but both my parents imparted one very useful more pertinent to my situation at school pearl of wisdom " if they're bigger than you hit them with something" and never back down, things i've found much more useful over the years than correct grammar.

So in conclusion to my long *** post, can't we just all try and be a little more forgiving and a little less judgmental.
Old 29 May 2014, 07:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Arr an yo no it.

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Birmingham?

If you called someone that round here they'd probably say "**** off, I ay yampy".

Quick Reply: Sum ov the gramma on this sight is getin ard to undastand