Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How long does a TV last?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2014, 05:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does a TV last?

I am currently in dispute with the company that sold me an LED TV a couple of years back. It has now developed a major fault (screen goes half black) and I want supplier to repair it or give me a refund.

Under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act a supplier has to repair or refund if an appliance is faulty and customer has 6 years to make such a claim. It is no good supplier fobbing you off with "It's out of its Guarantee Period" response.

However any refund can be reduced by taking account of the item being used for a period. This is a bit vague but if I have used a TV, say, for 2 years and it would be reasonably be expected to last 10 years then I could ask for an 80% refund.

So how long would you expect a modern TV to last?

David

No "3 weeks if you're lucky replies" PLEASE

Last edited by David Lock; 24 May 2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 24 May 2014, 05:19 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have had my LG flat screen for 6 years now and is still perfect Id expect 10years tbh
Old 24 May 2014, 05:21 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

With no scientific basis, i would expect a minimum 3-5 years with no faults. Therefore if it was 6 years old, i'd put it down to bad luck. Two years i'd want something done about it.
Old 24 May 2014, 05:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently replaced an LG with a blaupunkt 42" jobbie, LG lasted about 11yrs so i'm hoping the new one does a similar length of time.
Old 24 May 2014, 05:27 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have 5 years old big Plasma TV. It's still going strong.

I'd say it depends how much and how well you use it. We don't use it much. The daughter dear leaves it on pause quite a bit when she visits, but I tell her off for that. Other than that, we can't be bothered with TV that much, so that could be the reason why it's still alive and kicking.
Old 24 May 2014, 06:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Five to ten years would be reasonable IMHO.

Korean/Chinese brands being the former, Japanese brands the latter.

The manufacturer already has MTBF data, if you can obtain that data for your model of TV, then this may help your case.

For example the screen life is usually rated at 100,000 hours which is over 11 years. It therefore would be reasonable to assume the rest of the TV is capeable of operating for that length of time, or at the least be repairable at a cost that doesn't outweigh its replacement value. Otherwise rating the screen life would be pointless if the rest of the electronics fail beforehand.
Old 24 May 2014, 06:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Oh, just to add, the 100,000 or 60,000 rating is often for the backlight to reach half-brightness. (half life)

If half the screen goes blank, it could be one of the backlights has failed (or its drive circuit). Obviously if it has a rating in the specifications of 60,000 to 100,000 hours to reach half-brightness you could assume it would be still working up until that point. Therefore if that is publicised in the manual, specifications on-line or on paper or brochures, I'd try and argue on that point. Otherwise you are being misled

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 May 2014 at 06:33 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 24 May 2014, 06:36 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Rain man to the rescue.

Ali, I love your posts, where the hell do you keep all that information.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 24 May 2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 24 May 2014, 06:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Did you know that there is a difference between me and the Rain man.

Rainman doesn't tell people to f**k off when they take the ****.....

(no offence intended, well, maybe a little )

Edit: I saw the edit.....This crap occupies the part of my brain that normally should be used for remembering stuff like dental appointments, tax the car, pay the gas bill, buy milk and where the hell I last left my 1/4" ratchet.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 May 2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 25 May 2014, 08:17 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

My special talent is I can always remember where things are, my wife is amazed by my ability to find even the most least used smallest item anywhere in the house, garage, cellar or loft that's maybe not been used for years, I just have a picture pop into my mind after a few seconds and walk straight to where it's hiding, totally amazes me how the brain works. I do misplace tools when i'm working though 10mm spanners and 1/4 socket wrenches are a favourite of mine too and I really struggle with peoples names they just don't register and are gone in 5 seconds.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:09 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I was very disappointed by the longevity of a toshiba flat screen - barely three years

It struggled on for a further 6 months, but the downside was it had to be left on for 30 odd mins and then the fault in the screen would clear - presumably warming up

My wife and I actually thought this was a good feature as it dramatically reduced the children's TV time, the impatient little buggers hated the wait and usually found something else more productive to do

We only succumbed when the eldest boy pointed out that it was now taking over 2 hours to "warm up" before he could play the XBOX

I said he just needed better time management skills, but the wife acquiesced and we got a samsung

Anyway 3 years is a p1ss take tbh

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 25 May 2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:33 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Yeah 3yrs is bugger all, i'd be p!ssed if I only got 5yrs out of a tv, i'd consider around 8yrs to be acceptable, but we only watch tv for maybe 2hrs max a night in the week and less at weekends.
Old 25 May 2014, 10:16 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

2 years is way to young.Quick enough to take your money,don't want know when something goes wrong.
Old 25 May 2014, 10:17 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Ask lewis
Old 25 May 2014, 10:18 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

So how to they work out the 60,000hrs thing?

So even if i left my TV on 24/7 would it still be covered for the 60,000?
Old 25 May 2014, 11:36 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Extrapolation
Old 25 May 2014, 11:44 AM
Lisawrx

David, just be persistent, they may well give in, in the end.

I had this 'battle' with a retailer a couple of years back. Different problem, my TV decided it would just start flicking through the channels (scart/PC etc) at random points when it felt like it, making the TV unusable.

I contacted the retailer, and because it was just over two years old, so just out of warranty, they didn't want to know. Even after spouting the sale of goods act (the part you are referencing) the best they would offer would be to give me details of repairers, but it would be at my cost. Not wanting to be beaten, I asked for a number for customer services, so I could discuss it with them, and she said, they contact CS, they cannot give out those details to me, a bit more arguing and she agreed to contact them. This however still resulted in a no can do, so I held firm, I mentioned, how would she feel if she'd spent a few hundred quid on a tv and it failed that quickly, did she think it was a reasonable amount of time to last?

Long and the short of it, I kept arguing my point for long enough, and to my surprise, they folded and offered to exchange it. It wasn't all plain sailing after that, but in the end, we ended up with a working TV, a better make as well.
Old 25 May 2014, 02:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks all especially ALI and Aunty Lisa

I will persist and see how it goes. I am not flush with readies so a part refund would be good and a 50% refund would get me the same size TV with Freeview and a dvd player which is more than I have at the moment.

ALI - I tried to Google for the specification but a download for a manual was loaded with viruses so I gave up. It is actually an LED Finlux 19FLD850LH if that means anything? I paid £230 in June 2011 which was far too much even though TVs were more expensive then

PS I have a few of the old heavy type TVs which have lasted for years and survived house moves etc so I am insisting that the current one should last at least 6 years.

Cheers, David
Old 25 May 2014, 06:26 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
PS I have a few of the old heavy type TVs which have lasted for years and survived house moves etc so I am insisting that the current one should last at least 6 years.

Cheers, David
Define 'old heavy type'? 'Cus if your talking CRT then it's a completely different technology to LED so insisting they should both age the same is a touch daft.
Old 25 May 2014, 07:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Define 'old heavy type'? 'Cus if your talking CRT then it's a completely different technology to LED so insisting they should both age the same is a touch daft.
Even I, daft as I may be, appreciates that the technology is quite different

However if a new technology is introduced in a consumer item I would expect the item to last at least as long as the old type it was replacing.

David
Old 25 May 2014, 07:32 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

How ironic, the samsung LCD in my bedroom started to play up lastnight. It now turns itself off when it feels like it and various buttons other than the on/off button on the remote also turns it off....I think its about 5 or 6 years old.
Old 25 May 2014, 07:41 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Even I, daft as I may be, appreciates that the technology is quite different

However if a new technology is introduced in a consumer item I would expect the item to last at least as long as the old type it was replacing.

David
All that being said, I'd have expected the LED screen to last longer
Old 25 May 2014, 08:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It lasts as long as you can argue your case. You know your rights and you know they have to give you 6 years yet your still asking on a car forum. Obviously you can't argue your case!

Oops should of helped your case, since the shop is being clever ask for their area managers name and the name of the area manager in the media department and also ask for head office number. then contact trading standards. If you know the 6 year rule you know the claim is with the retailer so if its something like Currys which I bet it is as its a huge company you just need to be more force full.

The area manager should sort it but you can't have too much info when your trying to get money back

Last edited by stevebt; 25 May 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:16 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Panasonic 42 inch plasma still going strong after 5 years.
Old 25 May 2014, 10:01 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A tv should last at least from one World Cup to the next, which is when it should be replaced.
Old 25 May 2014, 10:50 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

We have a Toshiba Regza in work, used for site monitoring. It's been on since around 2007 maybe a bit before - never been switched off and it's still going strong. Suppose it not being switched off probably helps though.
Old 26 May 2014, 12:26 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by stevebt
It lasts as long as you can argue your case. You know your rights and you know they have to give you 6 years yet your still asking on a car forum. Obviously you can't argue your case!
Thing is, whilst the 6 year thing is out there, and people know it, after 6 months have passed, the onus is on the customer to prove a fault existed, this is why many people give in as they decide it's just not worth the hassle. Or they don't know how else they can play it. I don't think it's fair just to say he doesn't know how to argue his case, I think he's just trying to establish how long other people think something like a TV should last, before pursuing this. Just because there is a 6 year 'limit' not everything is expected to last that long either.

Anyhow, I would suggest when speaking with the retailer, you perhaps don't put too much focus on the word 'fault'. It's harder to prove a one existed from new. I would try a different angle first, personally. Goods have to be 'as described', 'fit for purpose' and importantly here, 'of satisfactory quality'. The latter is your issue. Just tell them firmly, but politely, that 2 years is not a reasonable amount of time for it to last, therefore the TV hasn't fulfilled that aspect of retail law. Under normal use, not 24/7, a TV should last longer than 2 years end of, just hold firm with that.

If you get nowhere with customer services and you really think they won't budge, do as steve says and request the contact info for someone higher up (this may be available via a google search if they are not forthcoming). I had to do this when I had an issue with Ikea as they just flat out refused to accept any responsibility for my problem, ended up getting a £50 gift card, which was used as part payment for a replacement, so not a bad result.

Good luck, and as for aunty lisa....
Old 26 May 2014, 10:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ah, it a Vestel based Tv. Don't take this the wrong way, but their business is basically buying component parts off other manufacturers sticking it all together, placing a nice brand name on the front then selling as many as they can for as much as they can get away with.

In that case five years max. These guys usually badge tvs to suit the market...I.e Tesco'sown brand TV's etc. Not alway cheap either. And they won't care about reputation or warranty. This will be placed on the Uk distributor and retailer, who will play hard ball as they can't pass the loss up the chain and repair/parts support is poor.

I've been bitten by these Turkish consortiums twice; a 17" tv in the kitchen that lasted 13months before the DVB Tuner software corrupted (analogue was fine until the digital switch off). And a Grundig my gran had, ironically with the same DVB tuner. Made in Turkey using various outsourced parts from this and that (which is why a Philips CRT remote operates it (she prefers it as it was from her old Tv so knows which buttons do what LOL). That still works but the hum it makes from the power supply can only be compared to a wasps nest - it wasn't a issue until my gran got hearing aids

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 May 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 26 May 2014, 11:49 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I think this is why its better to pay that bit more for an item,people see these cheapo tv's and think they getting a bargain deal.
Had the LG about 4 years now,still going good,gave the Sony to someone,and got myself a lovely Panasonic led.yea I paid a lot for it,wasn't mega expensive,more in the mid range,but chances are I know it'll last.
Nothin worse buying something,then having hassle with it,I'd rather just pay for something decent.
Old 26 May 2014, 12:22 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Sales of goods act says reasonable amount of time for the amount it cost.
It. It's just over £200 and you've had 6yrs I'd say that was fair. Also your contract is with the shop. The shop has the contact with the manufacturer
But like above, unless I pay over £500 I'd expect 5yrs

Last edited by RobsyUK; 26 May 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: How long does a TV last?