Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Florida advice

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2014, 11:55 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Florida advice

I’m going to Florida in 2 weeks, staying in WDW. I have never been before and just wondered if anyone had any top tips, or must doos or don’ts .

I have been looking on the a few Florida forums but the people on them seem to go every year and have slightly biased view towards anything Disney.

Going with the misses and 2 kids 9 and 10
Old 23 May 2014, 12:19 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get info overload when researching Florida!

We went at Christmas, the best day I had was at SeaWorld. The bit of advice I would say is take comfy shoes!

Enjoy
Old 23 May 2014, 12:38 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you go to some of the big park's . Not a lot to do wrong really. If you like the big fast rides then you need to go to bush gardens. Disney/universal have some good rides for adults/teenagers but are few and far between. As said before, sea world is a good start.
Old 23 May 2014, 12:53 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

out side of Disney there is also much to do.

A Pirate show night is a fun night out, off international drive.

Go for a meal at Logans Road House on Highway 192 heading west away from Disney. The Snow crab legs are the business and very well priced.

Titanic experience is very interesting.

plan a few days rest by the pool or you will come home needing a holiday.

Rent a car!

Have fun, I have a place out there and go regularly... just enjoy it and roll with it......
Old 23 May 2014, 01:09 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

We've been for the last couple of years and really enjoyed it.
Hopefully your package includes unlimited park passes and the dining plan, both save you money.

As you're staying on site use the Disney transport system, buses, boats and mono rail, makes life easy.

As said already, wear comfy trainers as you'll be doing a hell of a lot of walking in hot and humid conditions, saying that we go in August so not sure about May/June.

All rides are kid friendly although some have height restrictions.

If you hire a car visit a local Walmart to stock up on snacks/drink.
Also visit shopping Malls for cheap clothing.

One downside is you'll need a holiday when you get back....

Originally Posted by grovesy
I’m going to Florida in 2 weeks, staying in WDW. I have never been before and just wondered if anyone had any top tips, or must doos or don’ts .

I have been looking on the a few Florida forums but the people on them seem to go every year and have slightly biased view towards anything Disney.

Going with the misses and 2 kids 9 and 10
Old 23 May 2014, 01:28 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Disney operates a free and very good fast pass service, so use it! They are limited to a certain number per day.

Disney is always busy, no matter what time of year you go. I have been in Sept, October and July, and Universal, Busch, Sea World etc, we all relatively quite (which surprised me for July), but Disney has been rammed on every occasion. Out of season (which it should be for you), we have walked on to nearly every ride without wait except for HarryPotter (worth a wait too, at least once).

Your kids are old enough now that they will probably appreciate the other parks more, which is a shame as they probably won't be tall enough to go on the best rides, but there's still plenty of fantastic stuff for them to do.

If you want something a bit different, try something like Boggy Creek Air Boats. A good few hours out, see some gators in the wild and have your ear drums burst by a huge V8 just behind your head (take insect cream!)

I find that around Orlando/WDW, it has become a bit expensive to eat (for US prices), but if you steer clear of the really big names, you can eat good food for a good price.

Unless you hate crowds and heat (which would beg the question, why are you going?) then you'll have a good time. Just be prepared to be knackered, stand in some very biq queues (IIRC Sea World was the only one that did a truly affordable all you can eat fat pass) and get wet. They call it the sunshine state, but you will be in the rainy season, and it rained for 14 days when we were there last year....... (October, 14 days of cloudless skies, damn you school holiday rules!)
Old 23 May 2014, 01:40 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Yes we unlimited tickets for all parks also have the Disney dinning plan

I have a car, do you recommend using it for Disney or using the free transport ?

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2014, 01:44 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Yes we unlimited tickets for all parks also have the Disney dinning plan

I have a car, do you recommend using it for Disney or using the free transport ?
Free transport around Disney is very good, for me it may just depend on your plans for he day..
Old 23 May 2014, 01:44 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

If you're actually staying on WDW, then use their transport, it's very good (and free). Unless you get a parking pass as part of your deal, it's expensive to park, and you have to do it for each day you are there. Cheeky buggers really.

You will need a car to visit the other parks though, unless you wish to use public transport.
Old 23 May 2014, 01:48 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

I have booked a car for the 14 days. We get free parking in Disney, I thought we would have more freedom in our own car rather than waiting for the public transport.
Old 23 May 2014, 01:52 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Try a trip to Celebration town Tavern. Very near and Celebration is lovely.
Old 23 May 2014, 02:48 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have booked a car for the 14 days. We get free parking in Disney, I thought we would have more freedom in our own car rather than waiting for the public transport.
Don't forget when turning right on a red light you treat it like a give way sign

Keep some change for the (many) toll roads too!

As said above Busch Gardens is a good day out. Make sure you get to old town Kissimee Friday or Saturday night for the Cruise night!

Make sure you visit the water parks too, take a stock of plasters as the floors of the pools can graze skin quite easily.

Enjoy
Old 23 May 2014, 02:59 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU

Keep some change for the (many) toll roads too!

Enjoy
This is a great call

I came stright out of Orlando airport, avoiding main routes as I have got to know my way around. First toll booth was cash only no notes....

I had no change in my pocket and it was unmanned.

Drove stright through.......

3 weeks after returning home the hire company charged my credit card used to hire thr car 75 cents for the toll....

was expecting a huge fine....
Old 23 May 2014, 03:27 PM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it had have been in the UK it would have been a huge fine
Old 23 May 2014, 05:05 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Use both forms of transport depending on what you plan on doing.
On an evening we used the WDW transport as we usually had a couple of beers.
We stayed at Old Key West so it was much easier to get the boat to Down Town for a meal and a drink.
The buses operate very late and are very frequently too.

One last thing, be prepared for the usual hire car extras.....

Last edited by nik52wrx; 23 May 2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 23 May 2014, 05:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

When you land in Orlando the hire company will automatically ask to upgrade your car which I usually always take and I always take the toll pass they offer you as it means I can drive anywhere and don't have to worry about toll roads. If you stray onto a toll road and you don't have a pass the hire company will bill you about £100 for their hassle.

Just try not to spend every day in the parks as the queing takes up a lot of the day, gatorland is good fun
Old 23 May 2014, 05:36 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Another good day out if you fancy splashing the cash is Discovery Cove. It's a day long visit and you can swim with dolphins, kids love it.
From memory it was about a $1000, not cheap but we thought it was worth it.
It also includes entrance to Sea World which has a really good roller coaster, google manta.
Old 23 May 2014, 07:22 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Go to the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Walt Disney World Speedway, you should see it when going into the car park areas for Magic Kingdom (i think it was that park from memory)............. Spend some $'s and drive a Nascar

As already mentioned, Bush Gardens for the larger rides.

Trip down to the Everglades is also good, hover crafts and croc's

Various things also go on around the Downtown Disney area (Planet Hollywoods etc down there) - not a bad evening out etc.

Last edited by stiscooby; 23 May 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 23 May 2014, 07:40 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Various things also go on around the Downtown Disney area (Planet Hollywoods etc down there) - not a bad evening out etc.
Good call. I loved the place that had all the retro computer games (the name escapes me atm) was a good evening there!
Hollywood studios was my Favourite Park followed by Universal studios.
Old 23 May 2014, 08:04 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

although its many moons since I wast last at wdw..

I know its easy to say but try and not to do things on a budget!!
MOST things are cheap enough if you go to the right areas..
I hate clothes shopping but could honestly do it all day in florida..
so florida mall is a good place..try the food court!!

as said if your staying in wdw then I would use the transport.. so so much more to florida than Disney..but you could quite easily spend the whole 2 weeks just in Disney alone.
another good shout above is a day or few hours on an air boat. we also hired a couple of canoes
most people run straight indoors when it rains..which is most days but for only a short time.. this is the time to move around the parks and get on rides.. after all your waterproof and usually dry out within the hour

take your time..
have a "lazy day" either by the pool or half a day somewhere like gatorland
drink plenty..!!
hats are a must as are a good pair of sunnies.

as below..downtown Disney is good for the evening..we went to the virgin cinema there a few times.. good way to relax for a few hours

Originally Posted by BLU
Good call. I loved the place that had all the retro computer games (the name escapes me atm) was a good evening there!
Hollywood studios was my Favourite Park followed by Universal studios.

Disney quest

floor to floor with arcade games.. you pay once to get in, then all are free

good luck its an awesome holiday
Old 23 May 2014, 08:31 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickeymouse
Disney quest
Thats the one
Old 23 May 2014, 08:53 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

went a couple of years ago, Universal has better rides than WDW from memory, Busch gardens was good too.

Dont take a full suitcase would be my advice, There are 2 BIG Nike shops...$50 for Nike Air`s $25 for hooded tops and $10-$15 for t-shirts, I spent $400
Old 23 May 2014, 09:49 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Long time since I was there but I remember the shops were big on books of coupons for deals on everything from clothes to eating out. Don't know if the same applies these days or if you can be bothered but my secretary looked after the budget .

Good call on SeaWorld from some of the other posters and the Kissimmee car show was very good.
Old 23 May 2014, 10:09 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Make sure you go to a shooting range.
Old 23 May 2014, 11:51 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
went a couple of years ago, Universal has better rides than WDW from memory, Busch gardens was good too.

Dont take a full suitcase would be my advice, There are 2 BIG Nike shops...$50 for Nike Air`s $25 for hooded tops and $10-$15 for t-shirts, I spent $400
Best advice there^^^!! Dont take a full suitcase, clothes there are cheap and when the missus is not looking you could probably throw some cheap car parts in too!!! but there are plenty of malls with cheap clothes/trainers so stock up while your there!!

Busch gardens is a good day out also, as so is Kennedy Space Centre, Everglades is a good too but might be a bit far from you if your in Orlando(probably 4-5hours away)!!

You could also drive upto the famous Daytona International Speedway which is about 1hour 30mins away, and you have also got some nice beeches there too(keep the family happy)!!!

Be prepared to put some weight on when your there, as the fastfood restaurants are a lot better standards then the ones over here, I cant stand McDonald in the UK , but in the US they are much better, also I like the food from Hooters(thats what I tell the missus) but you also got fast food places like Dennys, Taco bell, Wendys and the million BBQ/steak shacks etc!!

Cant wait to go again now!!!
Old 27 May 2014, 09:15 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Cheers people

We also get in Disney quest for free/included in the price as we have the new magic bands.
Old 27 May 2014, 09:18 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

And clothes wise I bought a load of cheap t-shirts from Asda yesterday for the fist few days as I plan to upgrade them in Florida
Old 27 May 2014, 01:36 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default cheap clothes + cheap food=xxxxl

Be prepared to buy and xxxlarge size in clothes, by the time you have had 14 days you will weigh 14 lbs heavier
Old 27 May 2014, 02:08 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thesyn
Make sure you go to a shooting range.
Any school then. ......
Old 27 May 2014, 03:34 PM
ROSCO99
Scooby Newbie

last time i went got a north america map for my sat nav well worth the £25.
also if you like steaks MANNYS CHOPHOUSE HAINES CITY was excellent best steaks ever about 20mins drive from Kissimmee expect to wait always busy.

Quick Reply: Florida advice