Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Millipede on a roll.

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2014, 07:59 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Millipede on a roll.

He hit the right note with the energy price freeze, ramming home the colc, and setting the stage with generation rent. Of course, they are just catch phrases, but then so was " yes we can" and look what it did for Obama.
Dizzy Dave and his side kick Mutly need to get their act together, Red Ed is setting the agenda.....
Old 08 May 2014, 08:02 PM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

UKIP,job done.
Old 08 May 2014, 08:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The generation rent thing is the only time I've seen and thought , He's making sense..!

Not simply clutching at straws
Old 08 May 2014, 08:17 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cameron has been PM for five years next year. What has he done. Put a cap on benefits, that's it. Not exactly inspiring.
Compare that to Maggie in her first term.
Old 08 May 2014, 08:29 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

He really didn't need to do much did he, just stop throwing money down the john
Old 08 May 2014, 08:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I saw generation rent back in the last decade. Just under a different guise....Generation massive mortgage.

What do you think people were doing during the boom/bust with their huge unaffordable mortages? Its the same thing...essentially all they were doing was renting off the bank, but with all the added costs of the upkeep!!

Think about it...if you spend most of your life paying off a mortgage, by the time you finsih paying, you'll be old and it'll all be clawed back as a forced sale so the council can cover your care home costs.

The only difference now is people can't afford the mortgages now that the banks have gone over-sensible, so actually are renting instead of fooling themselves into thinking that they actually own something. That in itself is not a bad thing as its no different to a mortgage; both will land you in the shyte if you can't afford it.

The problem is the landlords. Actually, its not all the landlords fault...you see, what happaned when private pensions were plundered and interest rates were set artificially low? People with money invested somewhere where there was a good % return as interest and a low risk on the capital, where was that? Property! AKA Buy-to-letters.

If the government hadn't overtaxed and pulled the carpet out of any decent returns on savings and low risk investments, people with money would have invested elsewhere instead of building property portfolios. So sure, we need to deal with the landlords, but give them an incentive to sell up and invest elesewhere, not over tax them...as all they'll do is hike up the rent to compensate!
Old 08 May 2014, 08:35 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

All that the rent policy will do is major 3 year price increases, unless the Gov takes over running housing estates again, this will not work. But then the average person cant see further than their noses, so short term "gains" out weigh the losses long term.

Welcome to a Labour government.
Old 08 May 2014, 08:38 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Never thought of it like that. Spend all your life getting the biggest house you can, = more money for the council to put towards your care home.
Old 08 May 2014, 09:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr
Never thought of it like that. Spend all your life getting the biggest house you can, = more money for the council to put towards your care home.

My uncle did that as he saved all his life then he had to go into a care home and they had to use all his savings.
Old 08 May 2014, 10:05 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I cannot understand what the issue is with renting. We are mortgage obsessed in the UK, it's normal practice to rent in the majority of the EU.
Old 08 May 2014, 11:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
I cannot understand what the issue is with renting. We are mortgage obsessed in the UK, it's normal practice to rent in the majority of the EU.

True. The things us Brits rent alot of stuff without realising.

Contract mobile phone?....thats renting. What? Don't tell me that people thought the phone was given awayfor free!

Sky/Virgin? Technically its renting a service and the equipment to use it (although both Virgin & Sky will try and charge seperately for "their" boxes, of which their service is useless without....bit like renting a house without any doors to get in/out )

Car on finance/lease purchase/HP? Its rental just with various option to buy.

Subscription software like anti virus? Thats "renting" a service from the provider.

Car break down/recovery/maintanence agreements, again renting a service.

Brighthouse? I don't think I need to say anything about them...just I'm old enough to remember Rumbelows/Radio Rentals and my gran used to rent out TV sets in the 1950's

Originally Posted by stevebt

My uncle did that as he saved all his life then he had to go into a care home and they had to use all his savings.
Its tragic when that happens; I knew a couple, saved all they could and finally had enough to build their own dream retirement home. Just two weeks after completion the man died suddenly and his wife couldn't bear to live in it on her own.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 May 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08 May 2014, 11:44 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

If you own your own house you are stuffed.Chances are you have paid more tax & N.I. than a person in a council/rented house so you end up having to use your home to pay for your care.

I used to be mister straight & narrow & play everything as per the rules.Now I will try every trick in the book too 'avoid' paying the Government anything.What I have is mine,you're not having it.I am following their own example!

A good tip for not paying care charges:
He said it worked for him.
My friend sold his mum's house & put the money into accounts not in his mothers name.She then lived with him & his family for 6 months.They then went to the council & said it was untenable for her to live there any longer.
Old 09 May 2014, 09:18 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

He hit the right note with the energy price freeze, ramming home the colc, and setting the stage with generation rent.
None of which are any good.
Old 09 May 2014, 12:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

He hit the right note with the energy price freeze, ramming home the colc, and setting the stage with generation rent. Of course, they are just catch phrases, but then so was " yes we can" and look what it did for Obama.
Dizzy Dave and his side kick Mutly need to get their act together, Red Ed is setting the agenda.....

The hot topic at the moment is the Pfizer/Astra takeover and Ed has been shouting at Cameron for him to find out what Pfizer's plans are. Odd then that when Miliband was invited to meet with Pfizer's boss a couple of weeks back Ed was "too busy" to go. Tells its own story perhaps?

dl
Old 09 May 2014, 01:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And who let Cadburys and Rowntrees get sold off? With the inevitable job losses.

"What can weeeeeeeeeee do?" was their whine.

Yet when Rowntree Mackintosh tried to buy Nestle, the swiss government could, somehow, block the deal.
Old 09 May 2014, 02:53 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
The hot topic at the moment is the Pfizer/Astra takeover and Ed has been shouting at Cameron for him to find out what Pfizer's plans are. Odd then that when Miliband was invited to meet with Pfizer's boss a couple of weeks back Ed was "too busy" to go. Tells its own story perhaps?

dl
Doesn't matter. It's all about momentum, and to any observer it seems Ed is making all the running.
Old 09 May 2014, 03:52 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Think about it...if you spend most of your life paying off a mortgage, by the time you finsih paying, you'll be old and it'll all be clawed back as a forced sale so the council can cover your care home costs.
I plan on putting the foreign property in my sons name, sell the uk house and rent a modest flat then spend the money like a bank robber for a few years and go into an oap home at the expense of all the taxes i've paid over the years.
Old 09 May 2014, 04:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I plan on putting the foreign property in my sons name, sell the uk house and rent a modest flat then spend the money like a bank robber for a few years and go into an oap home at the expense of all the taxes i've paid over the years.
Sell him 5%. Then if you have to go in a home, 95% of a property is classed as an asset, which is worthless. Try selling 95% of a house.
I wonder if anyone has tried this.
Old 12 May 2014, 06:26 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

New tonight. Millipede sleeves rolled up, talking about the NHS with passion. Cameron having to defend his "mate" Barlow for tax evasion.
Great news management by the 'pede.

Cameron get your act together dude.
Old 12 May 2014, 07:09 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We do have an obsession with having to buy/own our home in this country.Its kinda like anything less and you failed in life.
Let's have four kids,a big family car on hire purchase,and a 300k mortgage... Meh.
This is why me and the gf still kept a place in czech,its like I'm free when I go,release the hand cuffs,escape from all the pressure of huge amounts of credit to own things in this country,got to have it all by a certain age.Go out there have fun,a bloody good time,have a smoke in a bar if I want.
Old 12 May 2014, 07:39 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Intersting debate on house ownership V renting
Of you bought early like me at 19 and cleared off the mortgages in late thirtys /forties the house is paid for
I lost my job 3 months ago and at my age virtually impossible and this wonderful Goverment gives me £51 a week to live on I'm ok

My work mate similar age rented a house
She gets £72 a week her rent is £80 and the Goverment will only give her £60 house ing benefit so she has £50 a week to live off
If she gets a job on £250 a week she has to lay rent again so she is now trapped for the rest of her life unless she marries some retired bloke

My other workmate has a morgage of £200 and again same postion / no job and might have to sell his house he is desperate also

Looks like I will either have to take the pair of them in and put them in the back bedrooms amd ask for rent or might have to sell mine if my savings run out and get a cheaper house

Of you can guys somehow try to get a house paid for by the time your 50 as trying to get a job at that age is bloody hard stressful enough but loosing a roof over your heads is a new level
Old 12 May 2014, 08:03 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

New tonight. Millipede sleeves rolled up, talking about the NHS with passion. Cameron having to defend his "mate" Barlow for tax evasion.
Great news management by the 'pede.

Cameron get your act together dude.

You're beginning to sound like PSL ie a troll.

Millipede is losing on all fronts. He has had to put a muzzle on ***** because he is such a liability. When did we last hear from the shadow chancellor?

Millipede's personal ratings are below Cameron's.

He is losing the cost of living crises argument as wages rise

He is losing the austerity argument as the economy and jobs grow

All polls show that the public trust Cameron/osborne over Milliband/***** to run the economy.

His campaign strategy is completely negative, just look at that childish video they have made.
Old 12 May 2014, 11:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
You're beginning to sound like PSL ie a troll.

Millipede is losing on all fronts. He has had to put a muzzle on ***** because he is such a liability. When did we last hear from the shadow chancellor?

Millipede's personal ratings are below Cameron's.

He is losing the cost of living crises argument as wages rise

He is losing the austerity argument as the economy and jobs grow

All polls show that the public trust Cameron/osborne over Milliband/***** to run the economy.

His campaign strategy is completely negative, just look at that childish video they have made.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:45 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-two-years.ht

Milliband really is on a roll.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 13 May 2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 13 May 2014, 08:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Much like Engerland in the world cup, I'm sure milli will pick up a couple of points "victories"
Old 13 May 2014, 10:07 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

If you think that someone who proposes a demonstrably economically stupid policy of rent capping is a winner, then you're an even bigger idiot than someone who votes Labour because they've always done so
Old 16 May 2014, 07:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

100 legs, 65 of them walking backwards

Poles don't count he's says......Bit late now
Old 17 May 2014, 12:51 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chris j t
UKIP,job done.
+ 3 here
Old 06 November 2014, 06:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I wonder whether brother David will be back on the scene. .....
Old 06 November 2014, 07:44 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Milliband is a fcucking idiot with no idea at all how to connect to the real world.

A bit like a modern day Michael Foot.

I'm voting UKIP. At least the guy's got a personality.

Quick Reply: Millipede on a roll.