Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cat D car ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2014, 07:03 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat D car ?

Okay guys looking for a bit off info / advice ? wife is looking to replace her car with an Audi A3 convertible, she has seen one for sale locally at £8500 ono - 2008, 30k on clock but unfortunately on a cat d, seller bought it himself a year ago already on the cat d but already fully repaired and says the reason it went on a cat d was due to the electric roof being vandalised when the car was just a year or two old. car looks immaculate but no paperwork ie. service history, mileage checks out okay on the dvla website with regards the old mot certs.

so okay is there anyway to find out if indeed the roof was the only damage that the car received to warrant its cat d catageory ? guy has said he will go down to £7800 which would work out around 2k cheaper than a non cat d car ?

anyone got access to find out about the car and if there is anything not being declared ?

am I correct in saying if it was anything worse it would be on a cat c ?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...tdi/1058262560
Old 23 April 2014, 07:11 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Dodgy sounding reason for cat d, no history, extra cash for a straight car for me any day of the week.

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay guys looking for a bit off info / advice ? wife is looking to replace her car with an Audi A3 convertible, she has seen one for sale locally at £8500 ono - 2008, 30k on clock but unfortunately on a cat d, seller bought it himself a year ago already on the cat d but already fully repaired and says the reason it went on a cat d was due to the electric roof being vandalised when the car was just a year or two old. car looks immaculate but no paperwork ie. service history, mileage checks out okay on the dvla website with regards the old mot certs.

so okay is there anyway to find out if indeed the roof was the only damage that the car received to warrant its cat d catageory ? guy has said he will go down to £7800 which would work out around 2k cheaper than a non cat d car ?

anyone got access to find out about the car and if there is anything not being declared ?

am I correct in saying if it was anything worse it would be on a cat c ?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...tdi/1058262560

Last edited by nik52wrx; 23 April 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that she could get the same 2008 MX5 2.0 Sport and live a little ....... no-one wants to be seen in an Audi these days!!

A 1 year old Audi Convertible does NOT get written off just because of a vandalised roof .... that's utter BOLLOX!

And no paperwork?

Walk away ......... no, sorry, RUN AWAY!!

You know yourself it's a trap - or you wouldn't be asking on here ........... stay well away, the extra £2k will look like a really cheap price for a straight one, the day after you buy this tat.

Last edited by pslewis; 23 April 2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:12 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

One thing to consider is, if you ever come to sell it on, it will be a massive ball ache. People generally say the purchase price falls by around 30-40% when a car has been registered as cat D. Even the crappy 'we buy any car' etc companies offer 50% of a car with cat D then they would otherwise. In which case, he's 2k under a non written off model is a bit high IMO

I don't believe there is anyway of checking what damage is was written off with without any paperwork from the previous insurance company. Could be wrong.

My previous car was a Cat D (only found out when I come to sell it as the guy who sold it to me supplied me with what I thought was genuine HPI certificates that were actually fraudulent). Upon finding out it was cat D, I stripped all panels off to determine the damage. Found the impact bar was distorted on the n/s/f, aftermarket headlight, aftermarket front bumper and numerous wiring repairs.

Don't necessarily take what he says at face value
Old 23 April 2014, 07:18 PM
pete marshall
Scooby Regular

don't touch it, not cheap enough needs to be half price or better
Old 23 April 2014, 07:40 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Selling on would be a concern for me too, cat d's are not everyone's cup of tea.
The only way I could see myself buying one would be if it were unbelievably cheap and I was going to run it into the ground.....
Old 23 April 2014, 08:01 PM
Truroturnip
Scooby Newbie

Spending that amount of money, I would walk personally. You would struggle to sell too unless you dropped your pants on the price. Ok, so a straight car may cost you £2k more up front, BUT, you will claw that back come resale.
Old 23 April 2014, 08:49 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys heard enough !!!
Old 24 April 2014, 06:56 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Would be interesting to find out just how much a replacement convertible roof + labour from Audi would actually cost ? from reading around it would certainly appear a lot off seemingly very minor damaged cars are going on cat d due to the cost off replacments parts and labour these days but again do appreciate what you guys are saying and have advised seller that wont be taking it any further !!!
Old 26 April 2014, 09:40 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

By paperwork do you mean history? The history is always taken when a car is written off, not sure why?
Old 26 April 2014, 07:14 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

I imagine the general term in this case is referring to paperwork stating the damage that was involved in writing the vehicle off