Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whirlpool baths

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2014, 02:08 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whirlpool baths

Since NSR is so quiet at the moment I thought I'd start an interesting topic of conversation

It will also be interesting to see how certain members will use this to imply I am a rentier/slave trader/bourgeois

Anyway, I'd like a whirlpool type bath and having just googled Jacuzzi their prices are eye watering.

Who else makes good quality whirlpool baths at a reasonable cost?

Thanks
Old 20 April 2014, 02:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Vesta curries would be a cheaper alternative to creating bubbles in your bath.
Old 20 April 2014, 02:26 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 20 April 2014, 02:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have recently bought one to go in a bath room and it a good size and quality is fantastic.

I made him an offer of £790 and he took it I would of preferred the 1500x1500 but with all the units and shower cubicle in my bathroom there just wasn't enough space but given the amount of litres this bath holds its not that much smaller than the larger size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whirlpool-...item4ad33d2a50
Old 20 April 2014, 02:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I discussed this with the local plumbers merchants (independant: plumbequip) who said they will fit a whirlpool type system to any bathtub of my choice. Even a £200 bathtub. Obviously the pump kits vary in price considerably depedning on number of jets etc, but he said he could get it all done for under a grand, depending on spec

I've got a mega old one in the main bathroom which will eventually have to be replaced - Its all 1980's bathroom decor: Ivory suite, red tiles, black towels, gold plated fittings, proper 80's playboy

I barely use it to be frank...the jets are in the wrong places -all at the sides, none for the back for shoulders, so it does nothing for my aging back, and its noisy as f**k and can be heard throughout the entire house. So its hardly calming or soothing to anyone in the house regardless of them using the bath or not! I can only compare the noise to a waste disposal unit combined with a roadsweeper.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 April 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 20 April 2014, 03:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
I have recently bought one to go in a bath room and it a good size and quality is fantastic.

I made him an offer of £790 and he took it I would of preferred the 1500x1500 but with all the units and shower cubicle in my bathroom there just wasn't enough space but given the amount of litres this bath holds its not that much smaller than the larger size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whirlpool-...item4ad33d2a50
Is that long enough to stretch out all though ??

Our bathroom is 8x6, and iv shoehorned a 900 radius quadrant shower, 1.5x1.05 bath , corner toilet and decent sized basin - there's room to move as well.

Havnt gone for whirlpool though ( all sounds bit kinky / capitalist pig. )

I
Old 20 April 2014, 04:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

We got rid of a huge standard sshaped bath which you could stretch out in but thie newer one just feels better, you can slouch in it with your head on the pillow and its more comfortable.
Old 20 April 2014, 05:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

My conclusion when researching for a few bathroom refits is that they age badly and are underused, and if it matters, probably detract from house value.
Old 20 April 2014, 06:00 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You fecking capitalist.
How DARE you have bath installed in your house.
What's wrong with being smelly?

As you were..
Old 20 April 2014, 06:18 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Lol@ Zip. The question is would the bath actually belong to me or does it really belong to 'the people'?

Steve, does your one make loads of noise?

Ali, did your research reveal whether there were particular pump sets that were better?

John; I've basically just had a new en suite built in an extension. My original plan was NOT to have a bath of any kind, my wife and I both shower. I can't remember the last time I took a bath.

However because the the en suite is a fair size a few people have suggested I have a bath just because there is space. If I installed a bath my wife and I feel we would only use it if it were a whirlpool type. Hence my question.

Btw, why do you think it would devalue a property?

Thanks
Old 20 April 2014, 06:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Bette baths

Everything else is naff

And quite right, anything else devalues a property

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 20 April 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 20 April 2014, 06:53 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks

Actually it's a non starter. I only want a free standing contempory oval/egg shaped bath and I can't find one that has Whirlpool function. Seems obvious now that there would be nowhere to conceal the pumps with that kind of shape.

Well I've wasted an afternoon researching this and missed the obvious!
Old 20 April 2014, 06:56 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

You could install an electric whisk hanging over the side.

Granted, not the safest of options but easily removable so as not to devalue the house (wtf?)
Old 20 April 2014, 07:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Lol@ Zip. The question is would the bath actually belong to me or does it really belong to 'the people'?

Ali, did your research reveal whether there were particular pump sets that were better?

Thanks

Public baths LOL, now thats a blast from the past (the old swimming baths by me used to have bathtubs in the changing rooms ).

I've not got that far with pumps as I'm currently focussing on the extension/kitchen/water tank saga. However noise will be a top priority.

Having a pump on the current bath has led me to realise that noise is a critical factor; the pump is beneath the floor as its a partially sunken bath, so I'd expect it to be fairly well isolated. Not the case, I suspect its sitting directly on top of a joist hence transmitting the noise throughout the house. That said the waste disposal unit in the kitchen does the same, so I suspect its also a issue with the noise properties of the "thermalite" type blocks used for the construction of house's internal walls.

Noise isolation between rooms in this place is proving to be a feckin' nightmare. Me being hyper-sensitive to noise doesn't help

Doubt the bathroom would devalue the house so long as its tasteful, with good workmanship (especially the tiling) and it fits.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 April 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 20 April 2014, 07:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

John; I've basically just had a new en suite built in an extension. My original plan was NOT to have a bath of any kind, my wife and I both shower. I can't remember the last time I took a bath.

However because the the en suite is a fair size a few people have suggested I have a bath just because there is space. If I installed a bath my wife and I feel we would only use it if it were a whirlpool type. Hence my question.

Thanks

Its makes no more noise than the last bath, I think they must all be the same?

As for Johns suggestion that a bath detracts from the value of a property is madness as although everyone showers if you bought a house without a bath it would be a negative selling point.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

A friend done a house up and turned a forubedroomed house into a five bedroomed house and all had ensuites but their was no main bathroom. The Building inspector complained that there was no communal bathroth even though their was a separate toilet. They said that if someone came to the house there was no bathroom yet every room had an en suite and his reply was how many people call at your house just to take a bath!

That was a serious argument with the inspector and they were nearly going to deny a final cert due to not having a proper bathroom.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:06 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

I've got a mega old one in the main bathroom which will eventually have to be replaced - Its all 1980's bathroom decor: Ivory suite, red tiles, black towels, gold plated fittings, proper 80's playboy I barely use it to be frank...
Well that explains the smell.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A nice looking, quality bath for sure. An acrylic monstrosity that looks like a lorry full of collanders crashed into a Comet store and that sounds like a food mixer, perhaps not?

One conjures up images of elegant ladies, the other, Chlamydia from Chesire staining the bath with fake tan.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
You could install an electric whisk hanging over the side.

Granted, not the safest of options but easily removable so as not to devalue the house (wtf?)
Fabulous
Old 20 April 2014, 08:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
A nice looking, quality bath for sure. An acrylic monstrosity that looks like a lorry full of collanders crashed into a Comet store and that sounds like a food mixer, perhaps not?

One conjures up images of elegant ladies, the other, Chlamydia from Chesire staining the bath with fake tan.

John there is nothing nice looking as soon as you add whirlpool and jet systems, you can only pick the best out of the bunch and they all look the same.
Old 20 April 2014, 08:27 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I first learnt to swim ( with school ) in place which had public baths ,proper Victorian .

They demolished it , to make way for a car lot or something
Old 20 April 2014, 08:40 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

For price this bath can't be beat and its at least a 6mm thick bath, I priced similar baths locally and I was either quoted £2k or told they could not match that bath.

Here it is fitted and I doubt you can find better for the price

Old 20 April 2014, 08:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Could you have got that any closer to the shower
Old 20 April 2014, 09:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.albionbathco.com/free-sta...-bath-tub.html

Personal taste, but if putting a bath in the middle of a room, I would go for something like this.
Old 20 April 2014, 09:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Could you have got that any closer to the shower

I did say earlier that the room dictated bath size and I went with a big shower cubicle but this is about baths

As per Johns comment everyone showers so the last thing you want to be in is some stupid 800x800 sower cubicle so size is king
Old 20 April 2014, 09:11 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Personal taste, but if putting a bath in the middle of a room, I would go for something like this.

John those are fecking awful and would kill a bathroom as its not too many peoples tastes and 99% of bathrooms cant fit that bath and look like that picture as its in a bathroom the size of a modern bedroom

Stand alone baths are either some crappy plastic or very expensive cast and are extremely marmite when fitted in the house.
Old 20 April 2014, 09:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Ding has a big room. I am toying with something like this as I have space earmarked for a new bathroom 4x4m with ceiling height 3m, but so far my bathrooms are all pretty normal sized up to 2x2m and therefore limited as you say.
Old 20 April 2014, 09:41 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

That is without doubt gorgeous. However because my bedroom and en suite will generally be quite contemporary in decor this is he sort of thing I would go for (but cheaper versions!)

http://www.cphart.co.uk/bathrooms/ba..._free_standing

http://www.cphart.co.uk/bathrooms/ba..._standing_bath

Old 20 April 2014, 09:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

John be carefull when you pick these stand alone baths as even the pipework and taps to look good will shock most people, they are a Victorian style bath and putting them in a modern style room is out of place.

They are say like imprezas or evo's, most people would like to drive them but owning one they just feel stupid.

I have never known one person who modernises houses to put a stand alone bath in. The bathroom and kitchen is a make and break room on a house so alienating it with a Victorian tub is madness
Old 20 April 2014, 09:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

That is without doubt gorgeous. However because my bedroom and en suite will generally be quite contemporary in decor this is he sort of thing I would go for (but cheaper versions!)

http://www.cphart.co.uk/bathrooms/ba..._free_standing

I have just done some customer care in a huge 6 bedroomed house and the main bathroom has some silly plastic tub similar to your pictures, the taps are extended to reach into the bath.

I went into the bathroom to fill a bucket two months after the house was built and when I turned the tap on it rotates far too much so it drips and due to being plastic it has bad stains already,

Those bathrooms look good in a brochure but when used they are ****

Quick Reply: Whirlpool baths