Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Brickies on £100k a year ...

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2014, 06:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Brickies on £100k a year ...

Nice pay for whistling at women and owning trousers with the top part of the 4rse cut out ....

"A shortage of skilled labourers has helped push pay packets for the country's top bricklayers past the £100,000 mark, according to industry experts.

Recruitment firm Deverell Smith and building consultants EC Harris told The Times the recruitment problem was so acute it was threatening to damage efforts to boost housebuilding.

The firms warned that an exodus of labourers in the wake of the financial crisis meant that the construction industry was struggling to recruit enough bricklayers, joiners, stone-fixers and plasterers now the recovery was gathering momentum"
Old 07 April 2014, 07:06 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice try but I can't see there are many brickies on Scoobynet. So I'll give it a 3 for planning and a 5 for execution. Could try harder I'm afraid.
Old 07 April 2014, 07:06 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Probably earn that sort of cash down London, but cant see them earning it working up North etc!!
Reminds me of the same sort of story I read 6-7 years ago that plumbers where earning £70k a year, Think they write these storys when they have a shortage of a certain labourers so that people go out and train to do these jobs in hope they will be on £100k etc!!!
Old 07 April 2014, 08:01 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Nice pay for whistling at women and owning trousers with the top part of the 4rse cut out ....

Last edited by BLU; 07 April 2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07 April 2014, 08:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Pete I could well believe it now we are in a rising market, when we were in boom times before Labour, the brickies moved daily from jobs as they kept getting more money driving the price up.

The supply and demand is already here try buying a lorry load of brick or block they are on quite a lead in currently due to the house builders buying them all up.
Old 07 April 2014, 08:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The only way brickies will be making £100k a year is if they are employing lots of men and taking a cut in their wages.
Old 07 April 2014, 08:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

"A shortage of skilled labourers has helped push pay packets for the country's top bricklayers past the £100,000 mark, according to industry experts.

Recruitment firm Deverell Smith and building consultants EC Harris told The Times the recruitment problem was so acute it was threatening to damage efforts to boost housebuilding.

The firms warned that an exodus of labourers in the wake of the financial crisis meant that the construction industry was struggling to recruit enough bricklayers, joiners, stone-fixers and plasterers now the recovery was gathering momentum"
At least post a link to justify/confirm your post

mb

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2014, 08:44 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

In turn over possibly but no way in profit.
Old 07 April 2014, 08:48 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
At least post a link to justify/confirm your post

mb
It's all over the industry press .... http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...s-brawn-drain/
Old 07 April 2014, 09:01 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Just found you can actually find bricklaying job adverts at £100k-120k a year.

That is the top of the market though with most at £40-50k. That's considering that brickies work 5 days a week every week. Which is realistic considering, I bet, most do 6 days a week.
Old 07 April 2014, 09:05 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

This is more like it, from the same article....

'Meanwhile, the average self-employed bricklayer is earning £150-£200 a day, the equivalent of £40,000-£50,000 a year, and that figure is expected to rise this year.'

As someone said above, the only 'brickies' earning £100k will be the contractors that employ 10 others.

I've been working on sites for the last 29 years - I've seen the highs, the lows, the recessions and everything in between.
No self employed sole trader bricky, plasterer, plumber etc would ever have earned £100k a year.

Eta - possibly in Australia.
My new neighbour is from Melbourne - he tells me of cleaners in the mining boom earning $100k per year.

Last edited by zip106; 07 April 2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07 April 2014, 09:23 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's pittance, I hear it's possible to get paid £300k a week for kicking a piece of inflated leather, enough to pay for a fair few grannies.
Old 07 April 2014, 09:23 PM
alex06 wrx
Scooby Regular

The brickies in london are just getting 130 to 150 a day and carpenters are getting just a little bit more. But on price work I can get anywhere between 40 on a very bad day and 300 on a very good day ( I am a carpenter )
Old 07 April 2014, 09:31 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alex06 wrx
The brickies in london are just getting 130 to 150 a day and carpenters are getting just a little bit more. But on price work I can get anywhere between 40 on a very bad day and 300 on a very good day ( I am a carpenter )
Seriously?
That's very low for those trades.

I know painters in the midlands getting more than that.
Price work I agree can be quite lucrative.
Old 07 April 2014, 09:35 PM
alex06 wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Seriously?
That's very low for those trades.

I know painters in the midlands getting more than that.
Price work I agree can be quite lucrative.
Yeah I know but everyone's chasing the same work in London
Old 07 April 2014, 10:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

It's all over the industry press .... http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...s-brawn-drain/
So why did you not include the (or a similar) link in your original post?

mb
Old 07 April 2014, 10:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My bro in law from Perth talks about ridiculous cash to be earnt around mining back home, for menial jobs.

Preachers where it's at though if you ask me - money for old rope, get chauffeured around in your merc, perform the odd "miracle" , bit of ghey bashing to rally the troops - only work Sundays
Old 08 April 2014, 05:38 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
My bro in law from Perth talks about ridiculous cash to be earnt around mining back home, for menial jobs.
Yeah but you have to spend most of your life living on a mine site and resources goes in cycles, plus Perth is stupidly expensive to live in.

Australia is a funny place becasue there isn't unrestricted immigration. If eastern euros had a right to move there you would see mining wages plummet. This is why I can never see menial or semi-skilled jobs booming in the UK because supply is always going to be there.
Old 08 April 2014, 08:18 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
So why did you not include the (or a similar) link in your original post?

mb
Because those with more than 1 brain cell can locate the story within 5 seconds, I don't cater for half wits.
Old 08 April 2014, 09:46 AM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Haha funny as ****, 100k per annum, no chance!
Down here in the south brickies are lucky to be getting £14-15 an hour site work.
A good bricklayer will earn around £500-600 for a full week, don't forget it's a summer trade really and we are rained off a lot.
Old 08 April 2014, 12:01 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

You'd have thought by now they'd be either a mechanised method for brick laying or an alternative method for building houses. Okay the latter does exist but aren't widely used (formed concrete, timber frame, steel frame, etc.). You really can't beat bricks and mortar construction for houses just that it's quite labour intensive.
Old 08 April 2014, 01:20 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Yeah but you have to spend most of your life living on a mine site and resources goes in cycles, plus Perth is stupidly expensive to live in.

Australia is a funny place becasue there isn't unrestricted immigration. If eastern euros had a right to move there you would see mining wages plummet. This is why I can never see menial or semi-skilled jobs booming in the UK because supply is always going to be there.
Just goes to prove the wage gap is getting too wide.I expect the bosses at the Australian mines are still earning a fortune.If it means the workers get a fair share of the profit then all well & good.I'm not worried if the board members have to take home 9 million dollars instead of 10 million.
Old 08 April 2014, 01:33 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Total and utter row locks
I pay brickies and if we paid that amount we couldn't afford to build any houses seriously doubt that much can be earnt in London either.

That Management today article is suspiciously short on corroboration.
there "source" appears to be two employment recruitment and consultancies ???

and low and behold a search for bricklaying jobs on one of them produces this result

http://s29.postimg.org/aovwxc7uv/bricklayers.png

<laugh>

Last edited by mattstant; 08 April 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08 April 2014, 02:00 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Forget about anything even close to that in London. I've hired decent brickies quite a few times over the last couple of years. The most recent being about three months ago.
Old 08 April 2014, 02:08 PM
adz556
Scooby Regular

I work as a site agent for a contractor and we aren't even paying the bosses enough to earn that. Prices on site are still no where what they used to be but i do agree....there is a MASSIVE shortage of bricklayers. A lot of our subcontractors are struggling to maintain labour numbers.
Old 08 April 2014, 02:16 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete got his info off that yougov. Website probably

The one with multiple false adverts. ....
Old 08 April 2014, 04:43 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattstant
Total and utter row locks
Now hang on just a minute there. This is pslewis you're talking about. I cant believe how anyone could make such a comment about the most reliable, accurate and well informed poster SN has ever seen.

...how much do teachers earn again Pete?
Old 08 April 2014, 06:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What they have done to get that figure

Is take what a desperate developer, behind on a project, that might cost him a lot of cash, if some buyers pulled out, has a paid for a bricky for a couple of days work to finish the project

They have then taken this figure and assumed that is what a bricky could earn 8 hours a day, 6 days a week
Old 08 April 2014, 09:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Because those with more than 1 brain cell can locate the story within 5 seconds, I don't cater for half wits.
..or rather,you realised that you were yet again going to be exposed as a troll, so "did a google" and slipped the top link in as your "doesn't everyone know" response!

mb
Old 08 April 2014, 09:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Indeed entering "Brickies on £100k a year" into Google comes up as ScoobyNet being the fourth most popular hit - kinda confirming the self-fulfilling troll effect.

mb

Quick Reply: Brickies on £100k a year ...