Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Children's electric ride on cars

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2014, 12:49 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Children's electric ride on cars

Apart from the obvious Toys R Us/Smyths/Argos places can anyone recommend somewhere that sells decent electric ride on cars for children?

I know 12v should be the spec to go for due to speed of the toy etc. I have looked online and several places selling them but no idea if they are reputable.

Budget is only low so no £400 top spec ones. I'm looking for one for my boy's 4th Birthday as he has always asked for one when seeing them in Toys R Us and he is tall for his age so needs to be big enough to last him.
Old 07 April 2014, 01:12 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly underpowered but have you looked at 6V variants?

Recently I was scouring Gumtree and came across a Disney Cars Lightning McQueen ride-on. Feber which is a Spanish brand. £30 picked up from Darwin. Absolute bargain and my lad has just tuned 3 but about the size of a 4-5 year old height/weight.

Spontaneous purchase in fairness but well times for his birthday last month as he's Cars mad.
Old 07 April 2014, 01:20 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Cheers COB yep looked at all the 6V ones in Toys R Us etc and not been that impressed. £119 buys a Mini that he likes but not sure it will last him and does like 3km/h which is pathetic. I'm not after quad bike speeds but at least a fast walking pace of say 4mph.
Old 07 April 2014, 01:31 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my daughter an electric car when she was about 4.
She crashed into a wall, took about a year before she ever went near it again
Old 07 April 2014, 01:53 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Just thinking with modern Lithiun ion technology, coupled with a decent brushless motor, you'd probably could make a kiddies electric car get up 50mph and charge up in half an hour
Old 07 April 2014, 02:07 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

been looking on Amazon and a few on there. Like the Mini and the Black Audi TT 12V ones
Old 07 April 2014, 03:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

There's a forum for that kinda stuff

Isaac's is a 1WD 6v one so pretty gutless but I looked briefly at a 12v twin gearbox hooked up to another battery option.

Nat told me to grow up and find something useful to do

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2014, 03:38 PM
Snooky
Scooby Regular

eBay cheapest! My boys 4 and the weight of child and terrain can run the battery out a lot quicker than they say! I sold on the 6 and 12 volt 4x4! Am looking for 24v maybe now for him as we use it when walking dog! The remotes some come with are useful if they aren't used to steering and can stop a lot of crashes!
Old 08 April 2014, 07:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful what you buy on ebay, some of them are pure junk. We bought a 12v one a few years ago that was supposed to play musical tunes, remote controlled etc. When my son sat in it on Christmas day and pressed the button, it played as what only be described as satan's demonic scream blasting from the speakers.
He was too scared to set foot in the car after that. We ended up selling it and a few weeks later the battery gave up the ghost.
Old 08 April 2014, 08:30 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

And that is exactly why I don't buy from ebay. Too much risk. Amazon I think will be my best bet as they are excellent at customer support.

That modified Lightning Mcqueen is excellent.
Old 09 April 2014, 12:48 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

I got my son a 12v Lambo from www.kidscarsdirect.com/ in january.
Came within 2 days iirc.

I ordered the same Lambo from Amazon and after waiting over a week i emailed the seller who then took 3 days to reply saying it was out of stock (said in stock on Amazon though). Explaiened i couldn't wait for it to come into stock as it was my son's birthday the following week. They refunded the money back to me no problem. Then ordered from www.kidscarsdirect.com.
Old 09 April 2014, 12:59 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Just thinking with modern Lithiun ion technology, coupled with a decent brushless motor, you'd probably could make a kiddies electric car get up 50mph and charge up in half an hour
Is it wrong that this was my first thought when he mentioned speed?

Oh and CoB, that video is histerical. The point where he starts doing doughnuts in the middle of the road had me in stitches.
Old 09 April 2014, 01:41 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by xgordyx
I got my son a 12v Lambo from www.kidscarsdirect.com/ in january.
Came within 2 days iirc.

I ordered the same Lambo from Amazon and after waiting over a week i emailed the seller who then took 3 days to reply saying it was out of stock (said in stock on Amazon though). Explaiened i couldn't wait for it to come into stock as it was my son's birthday the following week. They refunded the money back to me no problem. Then ordered from www.kidscarsdirect.com.
Thanks, I like the look of the black Spyder and it allegedly can do 5mph which is more like it. What was the quality like fo the car you bought from them?

Originally Posted by neil-h
Is it wrong that this was my first thought when he mentioned speed?

Oh and CoB, that video is histerical. The point where he starts doing doughnuts in the middle of the road had me in stitches.
I can't show my children that video as they will all want that car when they see it can do doughnuts
Old 09 April 2014, 02:09 PM
xgordyx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Thanks, I like the look of the black Spyder and it allegedly can do 5mph which is more like it. What was the quality like fo the car you bought from them?
Can't complain at all about it, seems sturdy enough. Not had much use out of it as he's only one. But seems to be quite solid. Not had it outside yet but my friend has one for his wee lad and he's out quite a bit on his with no problems.
Old 09 April 2014, 02:16 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks, it's more than what I wanted to spend but looks better spec than the others i've looked at.
Old 09 April 2014, 08:28 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

we have a little john deere gator best kids toy on the market but far from the cheapest.
he has had it since he was 2 battery still going strong got a tipping back on it got two speeds 2mph and i think 5-7 i may be wrong on the speed but i think they are well worth a look it has lived out side its whole life
Old 30 April 2014, 11:29 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xgordyx
Can't complain at all about it, seems sturdy enough. Not had much use out of it as he's only one. But seems to be quite solid. Not had it outside yet but my friend has one for his wee lad and he's out quite a bit on his with no problems.

Just to say thanks for your post and link. I got my Son this:

and he is thrilled to bits with it. Really impressed with the features on it, the key start is a nice touch and it is just the right speed. And thank goodness for the volume control on the dash
Old 04 May 2014, 11:31 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Funny this thread should pop up... I've today dug my lads old F430 Scuderia Electric Car out of storage for my daughter who is now 3.

I did a thread on here years back about modifying it. Anyway, i ended up putting a 12v mobility scooter battery on it and it went like **** off a shovel. Charging it up tonight ready for her tomorrow.

Just sold my lads 50cc Quad as he now wants an off road buggy, so i'm thinking of making an electric go kart with a truck starter motor
Old 05 May 2014, 07:13 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I'd love to know how to modify them to get the speeds of that video above. There is a green Lamborghini on sale for £99 on the web that would be great if it was made quick. Sadly I know nothing about electrics and so wouldn't know where to start. I'm guessing it involves new motors fitted and uprated battery wired in as mentioned. So basically a complete strip and rewire of the electrics?