Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Maria Miller - pathetic

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2014, 11:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maria Miller - pathetic

Independent body regulating MPs expenses suggests she should pay back £45K.

MPs decide that is too much and she pays back less than £6K

Cameron gives her his full backing

Depsite a report of over a 100 pages describing her arrogant and dismissive conduct to the whole investigation she makes a mere 71 word forced apology where she makes it clear she has no remorse whatsoever.

Once again MPs are shown to be arrogant scum taking the p1ss out of us taxpayers and as ever nothing will happen!

The gravy train rolls on!
Old 04 April 2014, 08:32 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, what do you actually get from these rants?
Old 04 April 2014, 08:35 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Peace of mind, expression of freedom and just an overall ******* well feel good factor I would assume.
Old 04 April 2014, 09:26 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Depsite a report of over a 100 pages describing her arrogant and dismissive conduct to the whole investigation she makes a mere 71 word forced apology where she makes it clear she has no remorse whatsoever.

Once again MPs are shown to be arrogant scum taking the p1ss out of us taxpayers and as ever nothing will happen!

Any normal person would have been sacked and possibly prosecuted for fraud. But its ok she's a politician, its only the taxpayers money
Old 04 April 2014, 09:26 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

If you were caught fiddling expenses from your company you would get dismissed straight away. I fail to see how she still has a job. Self serving arrogant scum ....
Old 04 April 2014, 09:35 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

This sums it all up nicely.

http://newsthump.com/2014/04/04/%E2%...on-population/
Old 04 April 2014, 09:46 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

It's not a rant, but I guess I just can't work out why no one really gives a **** that the people they elect to run the country with the tax money they pay steal some of that money and then when found out have to give a small percentage of it back and say sorry whereas the rest of us would be sent down!

Trending Topics

Old 04 April 2014, 09:47 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Oh and let's not forget of course that the papaers have given her a very easy time over this, but then of course she is one of the MPs responsible for drawing up new press regulation after the Leveson Enquiry..... not that any new regulation will evr happen
Old 04 April 2014, 09:48 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
Yep, that indeed sums it up.

I'm going to try it with the tax man too
Old 04 April 2014, 10:15 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

It's not a rant, but I guess I just can't work out why no one really gives a **** that the people they elect to run the country with the tax money they pay steal some of that money and then when found out have to give a small percentage of it back and say sorry whereas the rest of us would be sent down!
Ultimately there was a system in placed that allowed it to happen. MPs at the end of the day are only people and most people will play the system if the opportunity presents itself. Lets take as an example the tax rebate for people who wash there work uniforms, most people will wash there uniforms anyway (rebate or not) but there will always be people who claim it because they can.

Yes you can say they should lead by example but that logic is questionable at best.
Old 04 April 2014, 10:18 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yet again one rule for them and another rule for the rest of the population. In days gone by they would have found themselves on the business end of the peasants' pitchforks!
Old 04 April 2014, 10:33 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 47 NAT
If you were caught fiddling expenses from your company you would get dismissed straight away. I fail to see how she still has a job. Self serving arrogant scum ....
Spot on!
Old 04 April 2014, 10:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Ultimately there was a system in placed that allowed it to happen. MPs at the end of the day are only people and most people will play the system if the opportunity presents itself. Lets take as an example the tax rebate for people who wash there work uniforms, most people will wash there uniforms anyway (rebate or not) but there will always be people who claim it because they can.

Yes you can say they should lead by example but that logic is questionable at best.
Er... in this case she continued to claim mortage relief on her 'second home' at a rate higher than the rate she was actually paying... that isn't playing the system, it's stealing!

To be fair her actual 'crime' is somewhat insignificant compared to some of the other little scams other MPS got up to that were revealed over the last few years, but it is still not just 'someone plauing the system'.

It's worrying that so many people like you seem happy to accept what they do as the norm... I suspect most of you who think like this work for large corporates where this sort of culture is or was the norm of course... the difference being I am not paying for those corporates (or not directly) so am not really worried what they get up to, but when it's my taxes....
Old 04 April 2014, 01:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU
Any normal person would have been sacked and possibly prosecuted for fraud. But its ok she's a politician, its only the taxpayers money
yep.......and if you worked in any job apart from (national) government, you'd get the same: lose your job and prosecuted.

There is NO wonder these people fail to understand the rest of us.
Old 04 April 2014, 01:55 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

I get a tax rebate for washing my uniform. It gets dirty in work so its a fair claim.
Now if I claimed tax rebate for washing my kids clothes but claimed it was for washing my work clothes then it'd be wrong.
Thats the problem with some of the politicians, claiming things they're not entitled to.
Old 04 April 2014, 01:56 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Er... in this case she continued to claim mortage relief on her 'second home' at a rate higher than the rate she was actually paying... that isn't playing the system, it's stealing!

To be fair her actual 'crime' is somewhat insignificant compared to some of the other little scams other MPS got up to that were revealed over the last few years, but it is still not just 'someone plauing the system'.

It's worrying that so many people like you seem happy to accept what they do as the norm... I suspect most of you who think like this work for large corporates where this sort of culture is or was the norm of course... the difference being I am not paying for those corporates (or not directly) so am not really worried what they get up to, but when it's my taxes....
Maybe he's a politician??
Old 04 April 2014, 02:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU
You maybe right
Old 04 April 2014, 02:28 PM
New_scooby_04

And there was me feeling guilty for sulking when I got told that there would be no more Jammie Dodgers to go with the coffee for staff meetings due to budget cut backs.

I suddenly don't feel so bad!!

PS NICE BISCUITS ARE NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUTE!
Old 04 April 2014, 02:32 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BLU
You maybe right
Now that was bellow the belt
Old 04 April 2014, 06:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I do hope Basingstoke kicks her right out of her seat ....... but, don't they get parachute payments when they lose their seats?
Old 04 April 2014, 06:48 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

It's completely wrong. She should have been sent down.

But, she's a politician. It's almost as if this behaviour is expected and there's no punishment that can be dished out.

Hell, the police get a hard time, sometime deserved other times not, but if there's a hint of rule breaking there, they actively try to get you sent to prison.
Old 04 April 2014, 07:44 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Now, if she had said she was profoundly sorry, I could forgive and forget .

Seriously though, I used to think Cameron could be a good, progressive PM (this is before he was elected or part-elected). I have been completely disappointed with his performance, he is another Blair but wearing a blue tie.

Maria Miller? She represents the worst of modern British politics and is not fit for public office. I do not subscribe to this '......well the system is in place to let them do this....' bollox. She is a thief - nothing more, nothing less. As she won't be jailed let's hope her local party has the decency to deselect her prior to the next election.
Old 04 April 2014, 09:31 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

She was claiming for interest on mortgage payments on her 'second home'.
She never adjusted her claim when the interest rate went down.
Her parents were living in that home.

Why is she still in a job?
Old 04 April 2014, 09:34 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
It's completely wrong. She should have been sent down.

But, she's a politician. It's almost as if this behaviour is expected and there's no punishment that can be dished out.

Hell, the police get a hard time, sometime deserved other times not, but if there's a hint of rule breaking there, they actively try to get you sent to prison.
Originally Posted by dnc
Now, if she had said she was profoundly sorry, I could forgive and forget .

Seriously though, I used to think Cameron could be a good, progressive PM (this is before he was elected or part-elected). I have been completely disappointed with his performance, he is another Blair but wearing a blue tie.

Maria Miller? She represents the worst of modern British politics and is not fit for public office. I do not subscribe to this '......well the system is in place to let them do this....' bollox. She is a thief - nothing more, nothing less. As she won't be jailed let's hope her local party has the decency to deselect her prior to the next election.
Both pretty much spot on TBH.
Old 04 April 2014, 09:47 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

The problem is how do we get rid of people like her? It's one thing how we see her and voice an opinion. As Basingstoke is a Tory area where she was put into to keep the Tory flag flying, no doubt she'll be in next time around. Quite sad really....

Maybe the press she was trying to shut up will hopefully come up with that answer
Old 04 April 2014, 10:36 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

This story is escalating....

The Telegraph has released audio of a phone call between one of its reporters and one of Miller's aides where the aide mentions Leveson as a 'by the way' kind of remark, as if to threaten. People always said Leveson would lead to this, and here it is! Didn't take long!
Old 04 April 2014, 10:50 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

If you read the Wikipedia article on Maria Miller about her expenses, it really does make you want to cry over the amount of corruption in the high echelons of our political classes.

We really are no better than Zimbabwe.
Old 04 April 2014, 11:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
This story is escalating....

The Telegraph has released audio of a phone call between one of its reporters and one of Miller's aides where the aide mentions Leveson as a 'by the way' kind of remark, as if to threaten. People always said Leveson would lead to this, and here it is! Didn't take long!
Yep except Leveson's recommendations have never been implemented and it would seem instead that the politicians are happy to use it as a sword to the throat of the press instead!

Mind you it's Hobson's choice as to which is better, the press or the politicians... both full of lying self serving scum!

It's a f**king shambles to be frank!

Anyway where's Martin to tell us we're all wrong as usual!
Old 04 April 2014, 11:07 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Now that was bellow the belt
So you have an open fire?
Old 04 April 2014, 11:52 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

For those that like her ..to leave