Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Climate change, the BBC and MPs - you couldn't make it up!

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2014, 07:42 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate change, the BBC and MPs - you couldn't make it up!

MPs criticise BBC over climate change reporting

So despite treating climate change being man made as a fact when we still don't know the MPs aren't happy with the way the BBC report climate change because of them daring to give equal weight to those who are sceptics to those who are banging the governmnet's drum!

Thing is I don't ever hear or see any of this so called impartiality so don't actually know what they are criticising. Evey report to me seems to state almost as fact that climate change is man made and far worse than anyone ever imagened yet obvosuly the MPs want more from the state funded broadcaster!

This country just gets worse and worse every single day!
Old 02 April 2014, 07:54 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
MPs criticise BBC over climate change reporting

So despite treating climate change being man made as a fact when we still don't know the MPs aren't happy with the way the BBC report climate change because of them daring to give equal weight to those who are sceptics to those who are banging the governmnet's drum!

Thing is I don't ever hear or see any of this so called impartiality so don't actually know what they are criticising. Evey report to me seems to state almost as fact that climate change is man made and far worse than anyone ever imagened yet obvosuly the MPs want more from the state funded broadcaster!

This country just gets worse and worse every single day!
The reporters (on any channel...ITV are worse on this IMO) come out with some true gems: "houses on flood plains will be at more risk of frequent flooding"

LOL why is called a flood plain? Because it floods. Maybe not in the past 100years, but anyone who has studied a bit of natural geography/geology will tell you that land formations like flood plains occurred due to the path the river originally took during flooding. In other words 1000s of years ago the rivers are doing just what they do now. Man made? Nope. We used to dredge, which prevented it, therefore the lack of flooding was a man made occurrence.

Last edited by ALi-B; 02 April 2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02 April 2014, 11:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And now, they have a new "bete noir" which we are (probably) going to see taxed out of existence, what the BBC reporters were, this morning, calling "plution".

(God, I loathe the drawly lisping git that is Bill Turnbull...........)
Old 02 April 2014, 12:11 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

The UK has signed up to reduce carbon emissions by 80% from the 1990 baseline by 2050. The European Commission has also launched legal proceedings against the UK over air quality, one way or another we all know who it's going to cost
Old 02 April 2014, 01:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Latest news: Air pollution highest since 19whatever, those with breathing difficulties must stay indoors blah blah.

Its a bit f**king dusty
Old 02 April 2014, 01:25 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Climate change = Milankovitch cycles.

How can mankind be so arrogant as to believe we have an influence on our climate.
Its all about taxation. A multi-national conspiracy brought about by the Kyoto protocol. Climate change is a natural occurrence so lets tax it!!!
Old 02 April 2014, 01:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I love that the EC is going to fine us because of...wait for it.....pollution which blew here from Eastern Europe.

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2014, 01:30 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

How on earth can we stop them peddling this sh1te day in day out? We are letting them lie to us and then rob us for the privilege!
Old 02 April 2014, 01:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Kill everyone at the Bummers and B@stards and *****?
Old 02 April 2014, 01:46 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
Climate change = Milankovitch cycles.

How can mankind be so arrogant as to believe we have an influence on our climate.
Because since the industrial revolution we have been burning more and more fossil fuels which impacts on the carbon cycle. The gases that are released enhance the insulating properties of the atmosphere thus reducing heat loss, this in turn melts the ice caps causing the sea to become darker, when the sea becomes darker it absorbs more heat, and so it continues.
The good bit is the scientists may have got it wrong but what if they haven't

Last edited by Xx-IAN-xX; 02 April 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02 April 2014, 02:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Aye...what if they haven't...and what WE are doing now is making it WORSE?

Because in reality, they have NO idea.
Old 02 April 2014, 02:28 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Climate change has been going on for much longer than humans have existed, and will still be going on when we are extinct. The UK used to be sub tropical, and also covered in ice, and of course everything in between. We weren't around then, so no industrial revolution. So who or what caused it other than the natural occurrence of the earth's position in relation to the sun? The only thing causing it is earth wobbling on its axis! Something it will always continue to do.
The only way to stop climate change is to stabilize the planets orbit. Perhaps a few strategically place nuclear bombs could alter our orbit. Of course in doing so we'd probably wipe out all life.

They only call it "carbon emissions" because it gives the impression of being black and dirty.
Carbon dioxide is essential for our ecosystem. Plants, trees etc, thrive on carbon dioxide, and give off oxygen. The most destructive thing humans have done is cut down forests to build cities, towns, and factories.
Here's a thought, every living thing on the planet adapts to its environment. Humans are different. We adapt the environment to suit ourselves.

Mankind's impact on the climate is very minimal if anything at all. As I said, its all about taxation.
Personally, I can't see how charging me more road tax than my neighbour will have any more impact on the climate than the planets orbital variations.

Last edited by scunnered; 02 April 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02 April 2014, 02:29 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Aye...what if they haven't...and what WE are doing now is making it WORSE?

Because in reality, they have NO idea.
And your opinion they have no idea is based upon????
Old 02 April 2014, 02:51 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Climate change has been going on for much longer than humans have existed, and will still be going on when we are extinct. The UK used to be sub tropical, and also covered in ice, and of course everything in between. We weren't around then, so no industrial revolution. So who or what caused it other than the natural occurrence of the earth's position in relation to the sun? The only thing causing it is earth wobbling on its axis! Something it will always continue to do.
The only way to stop climate change is to stabilize the planets orbit. Perhaps a few strategically place nuclear bombs could alter our orbit. Of course in doing so we'd probably wipe out all life.

They only call it "carbon emissions" because it gives the impression of being black and dirty.
Carbon dioxide is essential for our ecosystem. Plants, trees etc, thrive on carbon dioxide, and give off oxygen. The most destructive thing humans have done is cut down forests to build cities, towns, and factories.
Here's a thought, every living thing on the planet adapts to its environment. Humans are different. We adapt the environment to suit ourselves.

Mankind's impact on the climate is very minimal if anything at all. As I said, its all about taxation.
Personally, I can't see how charging me more road tax than my neighbour will have any more impact on the climate than the planets orbital variations.
The burning of fossil fuels adds to the atmosphere around 22 billion tonnes of CO2 per year containing around 6 billion tonnes of carbon, deforestation around another 2 billion tonnes . Are you really saying that this is not having an impact on Climate change.
Old 02 April 2014, 04:23 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Xx-IAN-xX
The burning of fossil fuels adds to the atmosphere around 22 billion tonnes of CO2 per year containing around 6 billion tonnes of carbon, deforestation around another 2 billion tonnes . Are you really saying that this is not having an impact on Climate change.
Ian, go read this...then comment

http://mises.org/daily/5892/The-Skeptics-Case
Old 02 April 2014, 05:10 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Ian, if the climate change 'scientists' are so confident in their findings, why won't they release all their data for proper peer review

Climatologists are to science what Gillian McKeith is to medicine
Old 02 April 2014, 05:15 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Ian, if the climate change 'scientists' are so confident in their findings, why won't they release all their data for proper peer review

They ask people to crap in tupperware containers and then examine it?!
Old 02 April 2014, 05:48 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

My guide to weather cycles has always been the last ice age.
Only 15,000 years ago this country was covered in ice several kilometers thick.
In global cycle times that's just the blink of an eye and there was no industry,cars & hardly any population.

Conclusion................it's out of our control.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:50 PM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

What data is it that you want. Heres some for you to digest http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/sta...nge_statistics

Now I know you are all not thick on here but why do you seem to find it difficult that human intervention ie pumping tonnes of additional carbon into the atmosphere wouldn't act as an insulator and when the additional heat melts the ice caps the sea becomes warmer due to its darker properties. This is pretty basic stuff that shows humans are having an effect on climate. What the implications will be are going to be difficult to estimate and that is why they work on a what if basis.
Old 02 April 2014, 05:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

What data is it that you want. Heres some for you to digest http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/sta...nge_statistics

Now I know you are all not thick on here but why do you seem to find it difficult that human intervention ie pumping tonnes of additional carbon into the atmosphere wouldn't act as an insulator and when the additional heat melts the ice caps the sea becomes warmer due to its darker properties. This is pretty basic stuff that shows humans are having an effect on climate. What the implications will be are going to be difficult to estimate and that is why they work on a what if basis.
go read my link...it explains why your post is incorrect...go on, educate yourself
Old 02 April 2014, 06:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by trails
go read my link...it explains why your post is incorrect...go on, educate yourself
My guess is, he won't
Old 02 April 2014, 06:17 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

I said all data, not just the data that supports their funding status.

Unfortunately the closest we seem to have been so far is the hack of the UAE servers
Old 02 April 2014, 06:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

And your opinion they have no idea is based upon????
The good bit is the scientists may have got it wrong
Because these are the same climate scientists who were telling us thirty years ago that we were entering the next ice age and only 20% of the earth's population could survive?

because these are the same climate scientists who told us fifteen years ago that by 2015 the UK south coast would be Mediterranean climate, while the present med would be a desert? It better hurry up.........

Because if you speak up against it, you lose your research grants?

Because these are the same climatologists that have long-term forecast the last THREE winters 100% wrong and the last two summers 100% wrong too? yet they know what is going to happen in 25 years?

Because these are climate scientists that deny the sun's cycles?

Because the whole thing spells S C A M?

And while I'm responding to you, how about you explain how come when the ice caps melt, filling the sea with PURE water, the sea suddenly has "darker properties"???????

Last edited by alcazar; 02 April 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02 April 2014, 06:29 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

My guess is, he won't
I don't think the odds are high...weird that people behave in this way, not picking on him in anyway...just think it's really odd. Oh hold on....religion
Old 02 April 2014, 06:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

A good scientist will make it clear that their therory is just that - a theory. Until proven without doubt.

Higgs Boson
Theory of relativity
Climate change?.....MAN MADE climate change????

Selectively acquiring data to support a theory is not proof that the theory is correct.

I'd get a F in my science reports if I didn't show the teacher the proof of my conclusions.
Old 02 April 2014, 06:57 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
A good scientist will make it clear that their therory is just that - a theory. Until proven without doubt.

Higgs Boson
Theory of relativity
Climate change?.....MAN MADE climate change????

Selectively acquiring data to support a theory is not proof that the theory is correct.

I'd get a F in my science reports if I didn't show the teacher the proof of my conclusions.
But that's the key strategy for any/all debates on Scoobyney
Old 02 April 2014, 09:13 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

+1 (or +several million if you are a climate "scientist")

mb
Old 02 April 2014, 09:20 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by trails
Ian, go read this...then comment

http://mises.org/daily/5892/The-Skeptics-Case
Just in case Xx-IAN-xX can't read, maybe he can take a look at
(although it is actually nearly 13 minutes ).

mb
Old 03 April 2014, 12:46 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Just in case Xx-IAN-xX can't read, maybe he can take a look at Climate Change in 12 Minutes The Skeptic's Case (although it is actually nearly 13 minutes ).

mb
What part of this do you agree with... all, some or none?
Old 03 April 2014, 12:50 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

If you offered a single fact, logical argument or none selfish reason for your position, it might be worth listening to.

Nobody ever said the climate hasn't changed through the eons. This is simply not an argument against AGW - if that's all you got then you ain't got much

And the taxation argument/conspiracy doesn't even remotely make sense, add up, or stand up any kind of logic

Last edited by Martin2005; 03 April 2014 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Climate change, the BBC and MPs - you couldn't make it up!