offshore engineer

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2014, 01:11 AM
JP360
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offshore engineer

hi all,
im currently a mechanical engineer and have been looking into offshore work, does anyone on here know much about it or work offshore I can fire a few questions at?

cheers JP360
Old 25 March 2014, 07:57 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

try RA Dunk for info he might me able to help you. being a mech eng, you might have better luck than me trying to get offshore( trying since aug `13) you will need offshore tickets (BOSIET,MIST,) at the very least to get going. good luck!
Old 25 March 2014, 10:24 AM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

What do you want to know?

Step 1. Without BOSIET/MIST/OGUK Medical on your CV, chances are your CV will end up straight in the bin, oil and gas recruitment is crazy and like no other market, you have 100 people fighting for every 1 job, without the basic certificates your chances are next to zero (unless you get extremely lucky)

Survivex is probably the best place to go, they have a deal on at the moment for BOSIET/MIST for £599 (Medical a further £140)

This requires a week off work, a train ticket to Aberdeen and 5 nights B&B/Hotel. Aberdeen is extremely expensive during the week, normal travelodge type room is about £150 per night (Offshore industry for you) So budget £750 for the certificates, £500-£750 for accommodation, the price of a train/plane ticket and a week off work (5 day course)

Then you will come across the minefield that to get offshore you need to have experience, without experience, no helicopter ticket. There are a few ways Around this,
1) Working in Aberdeen in an onshore role, getting used to the equipment and then going offshore on Ad-hoc to get this experience to then apply for rotational positions.
2) Going in at entry level roustabout but there is MASSIVE demand for this, probably 500 applications for every 1 position, you need more than just BOSIET/MIST on your CV, you will need Greenhand/Banksman Slinger.
3) Agency short term contracts with entry level jobs (labouring)
4) Who you know and getting your CV on the right desk.
5) Luck

They are not interested if you have degrees coming out of your ar*e, they will take the local convict that can't string a sentence together if he has the experience and the required certificates and you do not, education counts for nothing in this game.

You may get lucky, you may not, chances are you wont, there are guys that have been trying for years with no joy. Best of luck though, it's a rewarding career if you don't mind spending half of your life away from home.

Last edited by LEO-RS; 25 March 2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 25 March 2014, 04:24 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

My mates on them......drillers = good £'s.
He told me along time ago.....

1 if you don't know anyone working on them at a respected level , it's a waste of time trying to get your foot in the door.
2 ...try to find work on a land rig as you have more chance of getting 'off shore'.

By all accounts it was a easy job to get into years ago , not anymore
Old 25 March 2014, 05:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

What sort of salary. I know mech's and electricians in a good normal job earn nearly 40k.
Old 25 March 2014, 05:22 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

I worked offshore for around 8 years in the north sea before taking a job in the oilfields
and offshore in Saudi Arabia.

The moneys good offshore and the time off is even better.

It is very difficult to get offshore due to the high number of people applying
but dont let that put you off as if never try you will never get anywhere.

As for taking on local convicts what a load of crap Leo when applying for jobs offshore
there are things called background checks which are carried out.
maybe a few might slip through the cracks though.

There is a lot of "its not what you know but who you know"

For instance myself I did not even try to get offshore and one day my best mate
said to me fancy coming offshore and one month later I was offshore.
I was taken on with 9 other trainee's and 8 out of the other 9 like myself knew somebody in the company.

also once you have experiance offshore it is a lot easier to get other positions offshore.
Old 25 March 2014, 06:21 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get all the hype with people wanting to work off-shore? I read and hear it all the time. Sounds like my idea of hell and surely it's not all about the money...
Old 25 March 2014, 06:33 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr
What sort of salary. I know mech's and electricians in a good normal job earn nearly 40k.
£80-£100k.
I've been offshore twenty years but not a mechanic.
Old 25 March 2014, 07:36 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I don't get all the hype with people wanting to work off-shore? I read and hear it all the time. Sounds like my idea of hell and surely it's not all about the money...
Time off will be a major factor only working 6 months of the year and 6 months chilling out and still being paid for it.

Some rigs are 2 weeks on and 3 weeks off
And a couple of them are 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off for instance the crews on the north alwyn thats what rotation they are on and its a fantastic rig as well with sky + in every room
A cinema full size snooker table computer rooms book room big gym music room good food and free tins of coke.
Yea it does sound like hell mate

And more money than working onshore too
Depending on what rig you are on it can be pretty decent offshore
Old 25 March 2014, 07:43 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

8 hour days are my idea of hell. Travelling every day, then only working half a day. Cant go anywhere after work as work next day. Only time off Sat and Sun, same as everyone else. Give me shifts anyday.
Old 25 March 2014, 07:47 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

8 hour days are my idea of hell. Travelling every day, then only working half a day. Cant go anywhere after work as work next day. Only time off Sat and Sun, same as everyone else. Give me shifts anyday.
Lol i agree that is my idea of hell too

I am on 28 days on and 28 days off rotation out of saudi arabia.
Oh its just a godsend 28 days at home is just ace and even the 28 days in saudi are pretty decent too.
Old 25 March 2014, 07:51 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizmo80
Lol i agree that is my idea of hell too

I am on 28 days on and 28 days off rotation out of saudi arabia.
Oh its just a godsend 28 days at home is just ace and even the 28 days in saudi are pretty decent too.
The 28 days in Saudi are also great because your mindset is (if you are like me) "get it done, do a good job, look forward to the days off"............
Old 25 March 2014, 07:57 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

The 28 days in Saudi are also great because your mindset is (if you are like me) "get it done, do a good job, look forward to the days off"............
Yup exactly like that
Old 25 March 2014, 08:02 PM
4evernewbie
Scooby Regular

All interesting stuff.
I'm leaving the Navy as a Chief/Nuclear Reactor Panel operator/instrument technician/Electrical generation maintainer. I'm putting my 12 month notice in next week and am wanting to go offshore (wherever in the world it takes me).
I do know guys who are on them, kinda hoping this'll help but I'm obviously gonna do as many courses as possible over the next year.
Are there any other courses that are beneficial?
Paul
Old 25 March 2014, 08:38 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

There is a lot of waffle on this thread already

Working offshore is the worst job in the world when offshore and the best job in the world when off back onshore, anyone that tells you differently is lying. The usual is the I only work half a year bollocks, no, no one works 6 months on 6 months off, you do 14 x 12 hour days and then get 14 days off. There's a difference. Midwives in the NHS do 3 days on and 4 days off, that's surely better? Regardless of what way you look at it, 182 x 12 hrs is more hours worked than your typical Mon 9-5 and in addition to that, looking at the wider picture, half of your living existance is spent away from home on a platform in the middle of nowhere, yes, 50% of you life, literally at work. Doesn't sound that appealing when put like that does it? You get home and sleep 1/3 of the half you have at home and because everyone else works Mon-Fri, you find yourself bored to tears, alone in your off time. Kids and missus at school and Jeremy Kyle on the TV, it's not what it's cracked up to be.

The life itself, yes, the facilities on rigs are coming into the 21st century, small gyms, small cinemas, wifi, sky tv etc but yet you are living in a confined area with nowhere to go, nowhere to de-stress, no freedom of movement, it's basically a prison for the time you are away, infact, it's very much like a prison. Once you've been offshore a while and the novelty wears off, you miss home like crazy, believe me. First year or two, it's a bit of an adventure, after that, it's a chore. You will miss birthdays, anniversaries, christmas's, weddings, funerals, engagement parties, kids school plays, parents evening etc, stuff that you take for granted now, but stuff that you will really miss when working offshore. Half of your whole living existence like this remember.

Money? Yeah, it's good in some areas and not so good in others, half the people on the rig will be working for under £50k, there will be 10% of the rig earning over £100k and the rest somewhere in the middle of these two. Rig Mechanics and Electricians do not get anywhere near £100k, that is nonsense, £60k-£70k with most companies, you may make it upto the £80k-£100k region when you get senior status/superintendent. Many offshore workers like to waffle about income, not sure why. Contractors can command good day rates but then the work usually dries up in the winter months. The guys that work 2/3 or even 2/4 do not get paid as much as the guys that work 2/2 obviously. The majority are still working 2/2 though, rumours of moves to 2/3 but they've been telling us that for years now.

As for working away in sh*thole countries? Why would you want too? Really? Wife, kids, education, schooling, how cheap life is in these countries, it doesn't compare to living in the UK. Sorry.

Okay, this part will shock you, YES, I do work offshore, I hate it, I'm an Aircraft engineer that rig hops with the heli and I go off Ad-hoc, probably about 50-60 days a year. I am an ex military guy so have been all over the world in the worlds sh*t holes and I can honestly say, working offshore is pants. The majority of people hate it but are money trapped, always counting down the days, choppers eve anyone.

There are a lot of ar*eholes working in the North Sea too, company men that would s*it all over you to make themselves look good, if someone annoys you offshore, there's not a lot you can do about it other than to put up with it.

Sorry guys, I do not share the same ''offshore, living the dream'' crap that is being spouted here, spending half your life on an oil/gas platform in the middle of the North Sea away from family, well, there's more to life than that.

I try my very best to hide away when the availability list comes around for whose turn it is to go away next, last FY I had something like 70 days away, this year, I've managed just 52, hopefully a bit less again next year. There really is more to life.

However, saying all that, it's a good life for some, they're just more often than not, childless wifeless and pretty much family-less.

A view from the other side of the coin, but don't let me put you off haha

Last edited by LEO-RS; 25 March 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 25 March 2014, 08:38 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

And me mate Gulf of Mexico 28 on 28 off ,been at it years ,iff you can get you're head around it ,it's a good life .
Old 25 March 2014, 08:46 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEO-RS

Working offshore is the worst job in the world when offshore and the best job in the world when off back onshore, anyone that tells you differently is lying. The usual is the I only work half a year bollocks, no, no one works 6 months on 6 months off, you do 14 x 12 hour days and then get 14 days off. There's a difference. Midwives in the NHS do 3 days on and 4 days off, that's surely better? Regardless of what way you look at it, 182 x 12 hrs is more hours worked than your typical Mon 9-5 and in addition to that, looking at the wider picture, half of your living existance is spent away from home on a platform in the middle of nowhere, yes, 50% of you life, literally at work. Doesn't sound that appealing when put like that does it? You get home and sleep 1/3 of the half you have at home and because everyone else works Mon-Fri, you find yourself bored to tears, alone in your off time. Kids and missus at school and Jeremy Kyle on the TV, it's not what it's cracked up to be.

The life itself, yes, the facilities on rigs are coming into the 21st century, small gyms, small cinemas, wifi, sky tv etc but yet you are living in a confined area with nowhere to go, nowhere to de-stress, no freedom of movement, it's basically a prison for the time you are away, infact, it's very much like a prison. Once you've been offshore a while and the novelty wears off, you miss home like crazy, believe me. First year or two, it's a bit of an adventure, after that, it's a chore. You will miss birthdays, anniversaries, christmas's, weddings, funerals, engagement parties, kids school plays, parents evening etc, stuff that you take for granted now, but stuff that you will really miss when working offshore. Half of your whole living existence like this remember.

Money? Yeah, it's good in some areas and not so good in others, half the people on the rig will be working for under £50k, there will be 10% of the rig earning over £100k and the rest somewhere in the middle of these two. Rig Mechanics and Electricians do not get anywhere near £100k, that is nonsense, £60k-£70k with most companies, you may make it upto the £80k-£100k region when you get senior status/superintendent. Many offshore workers like to waffle about income, not sure why. Contractors can command good day rates but then the work usually dries up in the winter months. The guys that work 2/3 or even 2/4 do not get paid as much as the guys that work 2/2 obviously. The majority are still working 2/2 though, rumours of moves to 2/3 but they've been telling us that for years now.

As for working away in sh*thole countries? Why would you want too? Really? Wife, kids, education, schooling, how cheap life is in these countries, it doesn't compare to living in the UK. Sorry.

Okay, this part will shock you, YES, I do work offshore, I hate it, I'm an Aircraft engineer that rig hops with the heli and I go off Ad-hoc, probably about 50-60 days a year. I am an ex military guy so have been all over the world in the worlds sh*t holes and I can honestly say, working offshore is pants. The majority of people hate it but are money trapped, always counting down the days, choppers eve anyone.

There are a lot of ar*eholes working in the North Sea too, company men that would s*it all over you to make themselves look good, if someone annoys you offshore, there's not a lot you can do about it other than to put up with it.

Sorry guys, I do not share the same ''offshore, living the dream'' crap that is being spouted here, spending half your life on an oil/gas platform in the middle of the North Sea away from family, well, there's more to life than that.

I try my very best to hide away when the availability list comes around for whose turn it is to go away next, last FY I had something like 70 days away, this year, I've managed just 52, hopefully a bit less again next year. There really is more to life.

However, saying all that, it's a good life for some, they're just more often than not, childless wifeless and pretty much family-less.

I would be inclined to agree with this.
Old 25 March 2014, 08:54 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Like I said in my previous post. Sounds like my idea of hell and I guess you need to look at the bigger picture and not the dollar signs.

I guess being a farmer and self employed I have the best of both worlds. I don't even have to travel to work, suckers.

Last edited by LSherratt; 25 March 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 25 March 2014, 09:18 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

some true some not

My cousin works for archer as a roughneck with 2 on 3 off on the exact same money as he made at his last drilling company doing 2 and 2.
also all archer on the drilling side is 2 on 3 off so its not rumour
but a lot of places are still 2 and 2

Also before I left for saudi I spent a lot of time on the north alwyn along with many other rigs in the north sea
and when on the alwyn I got pretty friendly with the guys there and one of the rousties told me how much he was on for the 2 on 4 off and it was very decent.

It is like living in prison if you see it like that
me personally the way I get through it is I was working with a crew of guys that I would have a good laugh with and made a fair few friends offshore.
I would mingle and have a laugh with the guys I am with and the guys I met there.

Yea no shortage of a$$holes offshore
trick is not to let them bother you if you can.

as for saying

they're just more often than not, childless wifeless and pretty much family-less

thats just not true there are loads of people offshore with familys, without familys.

I am a family man myself and handled offshore no problem along with a lot of my friends.

as for working in **** hole country's I have worked in a fair few myself also
but I made the most out of my time there.

I like working in Saudi a so called sh1thole country as I am happy to work there for the money I get and the time off I also get.

along with plenty off a$$holes offshore there are also
lots of moaning faced ***** which by the sound of it you fall into this category
If you dont like it then quit as it is not for some people which you come across as being one of them people.
there are mountains of people just itching to grab the opportunity that you have so if you dont like it get another job

Last edited by nizmo80; 25 March 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 25 March 2014, 09:19 PM
derek sti
Scooby Regular

It is possible to be happy offshore ,depends on the crews and the vessel ,no job is perfect .
Old 25 March 2014, 09:24 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Like I said in my previous post. Sounds like my idea of hell and I guess you need to look at the bigger picture and not the dollar signs.

I guess being a farmer and self employed I have the best of both worlds. I don't even have to travel to work, suckers.
also all the farming products free and freshly picked or produced
Old 25 March 2014, 09:26 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by derek sti
It is possible to be happy offshore ,depends on the crews and the vessel ,no job is perfect .
yea there are always going to be the odd bad trip but lets face it there is goods and bads with every job
Old 25 March 2014, 09:36 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Six guy from my work ( Grangemouth ethlene cracker ) leave next month to start with talisman 2 on 3 off. Not one of them had any offshore experience or certificates but we know someone who knows someone that got them straight to interview. If you have what the companies are after they will put you through the relevant courses.
Old 25 March 2014, 09:39 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Six guy from my work ( Grangemouth ethlene cracker ) leave next month to start with talisman 2 on 3 off. Not one of them had any offshore experience or certificates but we know someone who knows someone that got them straight to interview. If you have what the companies are after they will put you through the relevant courses.

talisman on 2 on 3 off as well good news as there is a lot of offshore companys following that rotation now

talisman rigs are pretty decent been on a few of there platforms which I thought was good.
Old 25 March 2014, 09:46 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

They all seem to be looking forward to a change of scenery. A couple might be in for a shock going from control room to being outside techs again.
Old 25 March 2014, 09:47 PM
4evernewbie
Scooby Regular

Actually laughing out loud at some of this. As a submariner, all these bad times some of you lot are talking about seem like a holiday to me. You guys have space, a bed to yourself, toilets big enough to get your overalls off in, a mess deck where you don't have to wait for someone else to move so you can sit down, Internet (I imagine), gym space etc etc etc
No duties alongside - NONE!!!!! - no military law, no working week when alongside, the list could go on for a very long time. Hell, I can even live wherever I want

Sign me up

Paul
Old 25 March 2014, 09:59 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
They all seem to be looking forward to a change of scenery. A couple might be in for a shock going from control room to being outside techs again.

They will be fine on talisman rigs as they tend to be pretty decent

Originally Posted by 4evernewbie
Actually laughing out loud at some of this. As a submariner, all these bad times some of you lot are talking about seem like a holiday to me. You guys have space, a bed to yourself, toilets big enough to get your overalls off in, a mess deck where you don't have to wait for someone else to move so you can sit down, Internet (I imagine), gym space etc etc etc
No duties alongside - NONE!!!!! - no military law, no working week when alongside, the list could go on for a very long time. Hell, I can even live wherever I want

Sign me up

Paul
Exactly a positive attitude goes along way

Leo seems to be a bit of a moaner instead of looking at the positives that offshore brings
he concentrates on the negatives of offshore.

and like I said there is mountains of people who would jump at the opportunity he has been given and yet he sits whining about being offshore LOL

Last edited by nizmo80; 25 March 2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 25 March 2014, 10:15 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I know a few guys that left Coryton Refinery when it closed and are now working in Aberdeen or offshore. Most are contracting for BP or offshore with Wood Group.

They all seem to be enjoying it.......so far!
Old 25 March 2014, 10:16 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizmo80
They will be fine on talisman rigs as they tend to be pretty decent

Exactly a positive attitude goes along way

Leo seems to be a bit of a moaner instead of looking at the positives that offshore brings
he concentrates on the negatives of offshore.

and like I said there is mountains of people who would jump at the opportunity he has been given and yet he sits whining about being offshore LOL
Haha, I must just be in a grumpy mood tonight. Granted, there are positives of offshore life, salary, time off, friendships etc etc but as I so bluntly put, quite a few negatives too.

Must be my time of the month
Old 25 March 2014, 10:20 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Haha, I must just be in a grumpy mood tonight. Granted, there are positives of offshore life, salary, time off, friendships etc etc but as I so bluntly put, quite a few negatives too.

Must be my time of the month
LOL dont worry about it we all get grumpy from time to time

Quick Reply: offshore engineer