Midlands (England) Midlands Meetings & Events

Wales, finally defrosted .

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2001, 06:56 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

A big thankyou to Charlie whiskey, Boomer, Scoobabe, Michelle, and anyone I've missed out, for organising this weekend's Camping Trip. Thankyou for finding a campsite with hot showers that worked, next time, I'm taking thermal underwear, and a very big hat. A thankyou to everyone else for the sane driving, it's nice to be able to smile at people as you trundle through villages under the speed limit .
I'm sure there's more to add, but for now, I'm too knackered to think of anything.

Martin.
Old 09 September 2001, 07:51 PM
neil@wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for a grate week end next time
less beer for me I went mad and paid
the price bad guts all day
time for a hot bath (and a pint)
Old 09 September 2001, 08:22 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I'd just like to say a big thank you to Boomer, Charlie Whiskey & everyone else envolved in this weekends camping trip. The roads were awesome & I had a great laugh on the night - the 'night club' was a particular highlight! That was my first camping trip, but definitely not my last (if you'll have me back!) It was great to meet you all & put some faces to the names.
Neil, I think I'll cut down on the demon drink too. Glad I wasn't driving this morning. See you on Tuesday.
Matt, cheers for driving me mate, we'll go in the Clio next time, you can be the one with a hang-over & I'll try & keep up with Mellow & Slider - NO CHANCE!
Michelle, hope you are ok after last nights 'incident!'
Pete, give me a bell & we'll have a beer.

Thanks for a great weekend guys.

Jon
Old 09 September 2001, 09:01 PM
super slider
Scooby Regular

To Charlie Whiskey, Boomer,Scoobabe and Michelle, a big thankyou for this weekends camping trip. great campsite and fantastic roads. just darn tired now
Michael
Old 09 September 2001, 09:13 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

A huge thanks to Martin & Chris for sorting this weekend out, what an amazing weekend these camping trips just get better and better those roads are amazing ... apparently I had wheel lift around one corner ... still all good things have to come to an end .....untill the next trip
Shared the weekend with some top people and had a great laugh, memories will be with me for a while ... for those who could'nt make it you missed a top weekend !

MDB - Cold ... what did you expect, it ain't big and it ain't clever to run into the Irish Sea in September in a force 10 gale

Pete - You beat me outta bed this am ... a first

I consumed far too much beer and paid the price, I did't really get into the swing of things till about 2pm and by that time the lack of sleep was creeping up quickly, still home now and a proper shower ...

just how bad were those "pub singers" last night ...

K
Old 09 September 2001, 09:43 PM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Kev,
I know, thats why I was stood up on the road taking pics of Michelle and Scoobabe skinnydipping . What was wrong with the shower at the campsite, warmed me up very nicely?

Martin.
Old 09 September 2001, 09:56 PM
ChrisB

Cool

Yet another huge vote of thanks to Charlie Whisky, Boomer, Michelle and Scoobabe for putting together such an awesome route.

I can honestly say the Evo triangle lives up to it's mythical status. Both lunchtime pubs were excellent. Campsite had good facilities, although it might best be described as, er, bracing!

Good to see the usual faces and few more new ones.

All the driving I saw in populated areas with 30 or 40 limits was excellent - a slow & sensible drive through watching the kids gawping and pointing.

I'm totally worn out, even after a quick to trip to the gym for a nice bit of RnR in the spa and sauna. Just sat here with the laptop watching the first match of the NFL Season.

All I've got to do now is trace the routes back over a map book so I know where the find the best bits for future reference.

Thanks again everyone. Excellent roads, driving, food, drink and company.

ChrisB.
Old 09 September 2001, 10:00 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Oh yes .... whoops still it was so flippin windy and cold and no amount of beer was going to warm me up... or coats .. it was one of those "Idle" winds ... goes through you instead of around ya

The showers, MMMMmmmmm they were well typical camp site showers ... still the culture they had growing on the shower walls I used were interesting ...

Good news to hear Michelle is out ... get some rest gal or you will burn ya self out !

So I'm guessing it was Super Slider then who braved the Irish Sea ( and the wind in a towel ) ... nice legs though

K
Old 09 September 2001, 10:54 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi there,

Got back from the hospital an hour ago after a stop at the pub to run through the hospital food

Can't quite remember how the events went last night, it is all very hazy. I remember walking back from the toilets.........hazy bits then being awake in the ambulance

I believe I owe a big thanks to CharlieWhiskey, Scoobabe, Brian and ChrisB for helping me.

Final diagnosis was severe exhaustion........lack of sleep, plus stress from work, plus not much to eat, plus lots of alcohol consumed in a very short space of time and a skinny dip in the sea at night! = not very well Chelle.

They were concerned I had a blood clot in my lungs so the necessary steps were taken to make sure I was okay, overnight observation and release later on

Still, it was a good night....from what I remember

Shame I couldn't be there earlier due to work nor have my car there as it is off the road again

Michelle.
Old 09 September 2001, 11:09 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

<I>'chelle - you beat me to it as I was writing myine!</I>

Glad you all enjoyed it, despite the 'Sea Breaze'& eratic mileages

You will be glad to know Michelle is back to her old form (Queen Muppet) after waiting till 4:30pm to be seen by the Doctor & discharged!

She is a bit bruised but hopefully a bit wiser in the need for sleep between endless rounds of Scoobychat/Clubing/Recces/work/events/drinking/muppetising & skinnydipping

I didn't miss not doing the whole of day two as I have done it 4 times already
We had an excellent run back, on roads that I wouldn't trust Mellow & Slider on in a 2CV, let alone a Scooby! [Elan Valley!]

We will have to look at next years diary very carefully

Kev, Tag your it! with another Midlands Mega Meet! - but this time make it some time when I'm in the country

Chris

p.s. When is the video on sale?...

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 09 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 12:03 AM
super slider
Scooby Regular

just thought this might be interesting to some people (or am I the only one !) In a group at the start of the trip driving moderately fast car got 22.9 mpg. Trying to catch up with Mellow Yellow on similar roads 11.2mpg ! Average approx 17.
Michael
Old 10 September 2001, 12:11 AM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Red face

My Lego scooby looks even better now I'm sober!
The skinny dipping shot is a bit disappointing though, we need some night vision goggles for the next one!

Nice job Martin,

Jon
Old 10 September 2001, 12:52 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bl**dy hell Michael, careful mate, I'll be getting petrol receipts through the post for expense claims from the "bretheren"
Anyway, you must have a leak somewhere or a dodgy calculator, try using an abacus
Old 10 September 2001, 01:00 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Red face

So how fictional was the actual mileage for day 2?

I wrote it and even I was baffled by how leg 1 to Cross Foxes Inn suddenley corrected itself at the A470?????

Sorry if any of you got lost or confused, it is just with so many miles and so many 'small' recces you don't know which numbers are real and which ones are'n't!

Rest assured I will not be doing the next one the same way! (Derbyshire Oct 7th)

Any feedback you may have, critical or otherwise, you can post to me for impartial digestion!

Sorry about the wind, but that Brains just does that to me

Finally, may I say a <B>BIG</B> thanks to Brian, Amanda & Chris for their help last night! Let's just hope 'chelle learns from it for her sake!

Chris
Old 10 September 2001, 07:04 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another satisfied customer here, what a great weekend, but I think I'll stick to the cokes next time. Just transfered the footage to tape and some of it is pretty amusing, the look on a certain persons face when the Waynes World gag was performed is priceless!
Sorry we didn't say goodbye to everyone in the pub! See ya all at the next one!

CRAFT(Mr&Mrs)
Old 10 September 2001, 07:41 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tig I'm on .... so that means I'll sort the next Midlands meet out then , I know a few crakin' roads .... but then quite a few of you know that already ...

Watch this space .....

(Chris, let me have a list of dates when you are outta the UK )

K
Old 10 September 2001, 07:58 AM
ScooBabe
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks to Charlie Whiskey, Muchelle and Boomer for organising a gret weekend. ( I didn't organise this one, but thanks anyway)

Some great roads, awesome funfair and a priceless nightclub helped make it, along with new and familiar faces up for a bit of fun.

wrx, thanks for the bowling tips...worked every time...!!?

Chelle glad you're OK, Take it easy!

Amanda
Old 10 September 2001, 09:37 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Can't add much more to the above really only to say that I had a wicked time throughout.
The roads were the best I have ever driven, the weather stayed kind and the campsite and it's facilities were superb. The cost and time that Chris (C.W.) and Martin (boomer)along with Kevin was fully appreciated, yet again the gauntlet is down and next years LCT 2 will need to go a long way to even equal this event.
Good to meet new faces although not as handsome as mine of course
M_D_B has already posted some brill pics and I for one can't wait to see more.
Buzz and Digiemon had an uneventful ride home(Heather ) Craft text me to say a group of bikers were bullying them and could I give a hand but after stopping for the little boys room only for a few minuits I failed to catch them up so could only hope that Heather scared them off !
Salsa King seems to be organising a "Scooby ball" for end of November/December so that should be a good time for a re-group, otherwise take care, SAFE DRIVING and spk soon.
Chris

[This message has been edited by Mellow Yellow ! (edited 10 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 10:04 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mellow the only problem 'I' have with your drivin mate is that people try to keep up with you!
Old 10 September 2001, 10:53 AM
ChrisB

Quickie question.

The mystical Evo Triangle. Did we do one side of it? I've been looking on the Evo forum and few seem to know the actual route in full. Does it include the forest stage from GT?

ChrisB.
Old 10 September 2001, 11:03 AM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Question

Mellow, where are these pics M_D_B has posted? Am I just being stoopid?

Cheers,

Jon

Old 10 September 2001, 11:08 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John,
Check them out in the Members Gallery Section.
Old 10 September 2001, 11:54 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Jon,
you can't miss them, they're the ones with you playing with the Lego .

Martin.
Old 10 September 2001, 12:25 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks to Charlie Whiskie and Boomer. It was a great weekend but the showers wee cr*p, and I needed a good wake up shower after Neil and John were forcing Jack Daniels and cider down me. I very rarely drink and they thought it would be fun to see what happened, well it back fired didn't it Neil! HA HA.

The guy in the Elise (sorry forgot your name)
hope to see you on the next run but for a bit longer this time. (well until I've sucked you through the intercooler and spat you out the exhaust). Only joking its good to see how different cars take different types of road. See you soon .

Mellow,thanks for the ride, must get me some harness now(John's got whiplash).

Michelle,hope your are feeling beta, try not to drink so much so quickly next time.

Scoobybabe, you better get some bowling time in as I can see a rematch looming on the next meet. (we actually found something Mellow didn't come first in)

And a final thanks to everyone, without such a great group of people the weekend would not be what it was.
Old 10 September 2001, 12:38 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Anyone know where to buy shares in the CRAFT mega-corporation media company??? They are going to rocket when the WCT3 video comes out (on VHS, DVD and MPEG)!!!

Great weekend, and mainly because of the people who took part - thank you all for coming along and making several pieces of A4 paper a fantastic two days of fun

mb
Old 10 September 2001, 04:16 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

Was an excellent weekend, good to meet you all.

Big thanks to CharlieWhiskey, Amanda and ChrisB for the help on Sat night. CW, hope I drove your car ok mate !

Oh..petrol consumption? Well.... lower than normal cos i was thrashing it to keep up on the straights... err.... only got 39mpg.

The 'nightclub' was frankly terrifying, and the singer gave me the creeps.

Forgotten how cold the Welsh coast is at night. Next time I'm bringing warmer clothes.... or actually.... lets have the next one in summer??

Mellow... was good to meet you. You are a character who is hard to forget, and I mean that in the best way! I dont think the boyfriend of the girl behind the bar will be sleeping soundly for a while!!

Jon172, fancy meeting another Evoist there!

Slider... spare set of trousers next time mate, or perhaps just dont go swimming !

Everyone else, it was a pleasure to meet you all, thanks for making me feel welcome. I might just destroy that warm welcome now, because I'm not sure this is a good idea, i.e. meet you lot for the first time, and have a go at you afterwards, but here goes:

&lt;RANTMODE=ON&gt;

Mellow, I dont honestly think its justifyable with 'my car is modded and very fast, so its safe'. This is a general rant about the state of driving I've seen on some meets (not just thins one) and not soley directed at you. However fast the car, a blind corner is a blind corner. You think how fast you were going, now think a biker can be going even faster. Closing speed of 200mph say on a fastish corner (perhaps theres a dip there). OK... so say 300ft/100m visibility to be generous (thats not a blind corner, thats more like 30m visibility... 100m is quite an open sighted corner. 200mph = 300km/h = 83 m/s... SO.. you have 1.2 seconds to move your car across, and pray to god you hold it together. Hmmmm. Not questioning your judgement, but I think thats not quite safe. Bring that down to 30m, and you thinking, I'll just nip in here..... then thats 0.4 seconds. If you were blinking at the time, you wouldnt even see it.

On a related note... blind crests. If you think you'l see the roof of the car first, you might be right 99% of the time, but you'll end up killing a westfield/caterham/elise driver. I've had countless near misses with people coming flying over crests on the wrong side / middle of the road and not seen me.

Now... what about stationary objects? I came round 2 corners yesterday to find tractors or sheep there. Wales is a farm country, and you have to expect objects around the corners.

I think the almost 'competitive' mood from some people was inexcusable... trying to keep up with someone is a recipe for disaster. Super Sliders response to almost punting me off the road, was that he's terribly sorry, but he was worried you'd get away from him. To me, that sounds daft. I thought the idea of meets was to turn up, meet people, eat, drink and be merry, have a drive, enjoy the roads, go on roads you havent done before, eat more, go home. If you want to race, then go do it elsewhere. On a few occasions, I heard people say 'I'm going in group x, so I can try to keep up with xxxxx'. Is it an excercise in seeing how fast we can all go? Dont think so. At least... it shouldnt be. Almost having accidents because you're trying to impress others/build a reputation for yourself as a bit of a driving demon/show off is pretty inexcusable. Thats what that guy in the P1 at Trax was doing, and that ended in tears, and could have been much worse (you said that yourself).

I feel that sooner or later, someones luck is going to run out. Its a numbers game at the end of the day.. driving normally is say 50% effort. Barring anything bizarre happening, thats pretty safe if you keep your wits about you. Driving at 95% effort/capability means you have 5% left in reserve if anything odd happens.

As I said.. I'm not sure if its a good idea to alienate a lot of you and **** you off. Afterall... an 'outsider' lecturing is the last thing he should do. Still, I feel someone has to say it.

Mellow, as I said, it was a general rant, not pointed at you, although you did make me think of a few points, especially the 'my car is modded and safer than normal' point.
&lt;RANTMODE=OFF&gt;

Was a damn good weekend though, hope to see you again on the next one, if you let me after all this!

Bri
&lt;with a now filthy Elise!&gt;
Old 10 September 2001, 04:23 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with Brian here.

While I wasn't at the Welsh meet, I've been to far too many Scooby meets where it's descended into nothing short of a road race.

Very dangerous and very stupid.

You can smash your cars up for all I care, it's the other road users who have no part in your antics I care about.

Save it for the track. Where it belongs. (That's if you don't get black flagged for being a ****)

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 10 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 05:11 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Brian,
How to win friends and influence people eh !

Frankly I'm still digesting your comments.

Would it not have been more courtious to have mailed me off line to air "your rant", the facility was there.

It was strange that as I approached you and we travelled together, you floored your car on that sweeping tight left hander at a speed that quite frankly surprised me but hey, I remember you telling me that morning at the cafe that your lotus would out perform a scoob on a flat surfaced corner, so I realise now, you were proving your point, well done !
As for the rest of the crap you spouted, save it until we can discuss it face to face eh ?
Old 10 September 2001, 05:26 PM
bdrought
Scooby Regular

Mellow,

I didnt floor the Lotus to prove a point, it was to gain grip on the rear (high-ish speed constant radius turns are a little flaky unless you have some throttle on), and gather some momentum for the straight. I was very impressed at the rate the P1 caught me and passed. Astonishing car, are you are undoubtedly a very talented driver.

Discussing it with you directly is pointless, as its not solely you, or infact the people on the camping trip i have a gripe with. Just some people seem to have meet mentality a little skewed. Sorry if it seemed like i was purely having a go at you.

I've been on a few meets with some people with competitive outlooks, and more often than not its ended in tears.

'As for the other crap you spouted'? What crap? The fact you think its crap concerns me somewhat....

Bri

[This message has been edited by bdrought (edited 10 September 2001).]
Old 10 September 2001, 05:38 PM
Kev
Scooby Regular

C'mon lads .... don't let's spoil what was an amazing weekend. I for one didn't see any chances been taken ... a few calculated risks maybe here and there but I thought we were all driving well within our personal limits and those of our own steeds .. and I for one was impressed with everyone's mature approach to speeds in built-up area's.
I don't think a public forum is the place to start nagging-on about each others driving abilities and not only that it's the quickest way to get a thread closed down ...

Lets concentrate on all the highs ! .... like why do all the pics so far have Michelle with a bottle of vodka in her hand

K

Quick Reply: Wales, finally defrosted .